Callaway GBB Epic and Epic Sub Zero: Drivers and Fairways

zakkozuchowski

Just hit the Epic SZ 9* Aldila Max and loved it. Like some others said, every shot feels nutted! I was seeing a few mph increase over the M1 like I was using. What I saw was more consistent drives with a baby fade. The feel is so much better than any TM driver right now. I was seeing my longest drives with the SZ.

I did try the Stock Fuji shaft and did not like it and increased spin by several hundred rpm. Also tried a 10.5 and did not like it. I was launching the SZ 9* N/S setting with the Aldila Max at 13/14* and 2500 rpm (good for me).

Glad I already blindly ordered the Epic SZ 9* Fujikura 665 Evo II TS. That will bring the launch and spin down a hair more than today. Great new driver for 2017. Can't wait to get tracking info on it....

Do you mind sharing your driving speed? I think I read elsewhere you are around me. Might help with shaft selection. Also are you a higher ball hitter or lower?

I have been working on my swing and saw the last two times at PGA SS around 103-104 and some to 106. Last year I was around 99-101. I am usually a high ball hitter due to a flip, but trying to be more penetrating lately. I am a Fuji guy all the way and know that the 665 Evo II TS works for me because extensively tested it in the XR 16 Pro head and loved the feel of it. I know that a Speeder 661 EVO TS tipped 1" from Taylormade was too much for me. Just FYI.

Hope this helps. Oh yea, TM guy also and (for me) this driver is so much better for me than the 2016 M1 and M2.

Is that 665 a "made for"? Also is that low/mid spin and mid launch?

Yes and Yes... you are spot in... just worked for me very well in the XR 16 Pro... Epic SZ don't beat that head by THAT much...

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hit the Epic SZ 9* Aldila Max and loved it. Like some others said, every shot feels nutted! I was seeing a few mph increase over the M1 like I was using. What I saw was more consistent drives with a baby fade. The feel is so much better than any TM driver right now. I was seeing my longest drives with the SZ.

I did try the Stock Fuji shaft and did not like it and increased spin by several hundred rpm. Also tried a 10.5 and did not like it. I was launching the SZ 9* N/S setting with the Aldila Max at 13/14* and 2500 rpm (good for me).

Glad I already blindly ordered the Epic SZ 9* Fujikura 665 Evo II TS. That will bring the launch and spin down a hair more than today. Great new driver for 2017. Can't wait to get tracking info on it....

Do you mind sharing your driving speed? I think I read elsewhere you are around me. Might help with shaft selection. Also are you a higher ball hitter or lower?

I have been working on my swing and saw the last two times at PGA SS around 103-104 and some to 106. Last year I was around 99-101. I am usually a high ball hitter due to a flip, but trying to be more penetrating lately. I am a Fuji guy all the way and know that the 665 Evo II TS works for me because extensively tested it in the XR 16 Pro head and loved the feel of it. I know that a Speeder 661 EVO TS tipped 1" from Taylormade was too much for me. Just FYI.

Hope this helps. Oh yea, TM guy also and (for me) this driver is so much better for me than the 2016 M1 and M2.

Is that 665 a "made for"? Also is that low/mid spin and mid launch?

Yes and Yes... you are spot in... just worked for me very well in the XR 16 Pro... Epic SZ don't beat that head by THAT much...

OspreyCI, how would you compare the forgiveness between the Epic SZ and Xr16 Pro?Have been reading that the SZ is very forgiving. Would love to hear some comparisons.

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

So I am the furthest thing from a Callaway supporter but man oh man, I hit the new Epic SZ a little bit ago and it was the best feeling driver I think I have ever hit in my life.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

So I am the furthest thing from a Callaway supporter but man oh man, I hit the new Epic SZ a little bit ago and it was the best feeling driver I think I have ever hit in my life.

I concur.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

With all the talk of made fors being offered, is the Kuro Kage silver Tini being offered a made for?

Total conjecture but I'm thinking maybe not? The way I see it, MRC probably made it available as a no up charge option since they're probably trying to clear stock before the new dual core silver Tini is released in a few weeks. But that's a complete guess.

Feck I forgot to alter my shaft back to 45" on my Epic SZ order... choking down it will be then

You should be able to get the order changed.

Is it worth calling callaway to try to modify an order?

I called today and modified an order, very easy just call the customer service number on the website.

With all the talk of made fors being offered, is the Kuro Kage silver Tini being offered a made for?

Total conjecture but I'm thinking maybe not? The way I see it, MRC probably made it available as a no up charge option since they're probably trying to clear stock before the new dual core silver Tini is released in a few weeks. But that's a complete guess.

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping someone can chime in with a definitive answer too

Feck I forgot to alter my shaft back to 45" on my Epic SZ order... choking down it will be then

You should be able to get the order changed.

Is it worth calling callaway to try to modify an order?

I called today and modified an order, very easy just call the customer service number on the website.

Thanks, should've mentioned that I didn't place the order through callaway so that option might not be available to me. Still going to try tomorrow.

The KK Silver TiNi is not a made for shaft.

http://www.mrc-golf.com/products/silver-tini

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Thanks for replying. I'm hoping someone can chime in with a definitive answer too

The KK Silver TiNi has been a no charge option for a few years thru Callaway. I was told today Callaway will offer the DC TiNi but there is currently no timetable for it to be added to the shaft menu since the shaft has just been released.

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

My favorite thing about this entire line is that the 3w is 15* again. I know I could buy the 16 and lower it a degree but having it 15* from the manufacturer makes me really happy.

Must be psychological, just seeing 15* on the head makes me feel more comfortable.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

So I'll preface this by saying that I haven't swung a club in a while (because winter)... but I went to my local shop to get some club work done this weekend, and was able to hit both the new M1 and Epic SubZero.

I was averaging 158 mph ball speed with the Epic SubZero, and this was with the 9* head turned down 1* to 8*, weight back, and stock Fujikura shaft in stiff flex (all they had). Middled shots were at 165mph, and the feel was one of the best I've had with a driver!

I averaged 160mph ball speed with the 2017 M1 460, and this was with a 10.5* head, weight in the middle, and a Hzrdus Yellow 6.5. Nutted ones where at 167mph, and the shaft was just amazing!

It could be the shaft, or I might need to try the Epic SubZero some more with the weight forward, or maybe the regular GBB Epic, but I was a little bit disappointed, because I'd love a few extra mph of ball speed as much as the next guy...

I'm holding off, because winter, but at the moment, M1 is gonna stay on my mind

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Btw, also hit the F7+ and Triton. Both pretty decent performers.

But anyone else think they look so alike at address?? It was uncanny, the F7+ looks like a Triton without the alignment aid!

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Has anyone hit the epic fairways and 917 fairways for a comparison? I have the ESZ driver and two rounds in, I do like the driver, so looking at maybe the fairways....

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Anyone hit either head with a black tie 6m3, or the Fuji Pro green 62?

I have the 7m3 so am familiar with the shaft.

I have never hit a Fuji Pro.

I hit the Fuji Pro Green today in s flex. Made the difference for me with the regular Epic head. It was very smooth, and gave me great results. I came back to my office to find one to buy (just the shaft) so I could stick it in my GBB head. Cannot find one anywhere yet, but I will! I will likely get the regular Epic, but not until they hit CPO. Not enough difference for the cost for me.

FYI - I was swinging right at 98-100 today (good speeds for me).

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

Anyone hit either head with a black tie 6m3, or the Fuji Pro green 62?

I have the 7m3 so am familiar with the shaft.

I have never hit a Fuji Pro.

I hit the Fuji Pro Green today in s flex. Made the difference for me with the regular Epic head. It was very smooth, and gave me great results. I came back to my office to find one to buy (just the shaft) so I could stick it in my GBB head. Cannot find one anywhere yet, but I will! I will likely get the regular Epic, but not until they hit CPO. Not enough difference for the cost for me.

FYI - I was swinging right at 98-100 today (good speeds for me).

Thanks, am just a touch over 100 myself. I have 3 other great shafts for Callaway drivers, so want to try something new if I grab one.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I picked mine up today. I was on flightscope and then out on the range on a cool, damp day. After that, I played few holes with several tee shots on each.

My initial thoughts are the Epic SZ is more forgiving than my M2. By a good amount. The Epic doesn't want to move much. I usually start my tee shot down the right side of the fairway but I just adjusted and started hitting it down the center and it didn't move much. I did have an easier time fading it vs drawing it which is very unusual for me.

I know from the flightscope that my ball speed is a little bit faster with the epic but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for control and playable shots.

I have a few rounds scheduled over the next few days. Great first outing though.

Nice job by Cally getting these pre-orders out early!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Has anyone tried the SZ with the Kuro Kage Tini shaft? I have been gaming the D+ but curious to have a little more launch and like 60 gram shafts over 70

I tested the SZ with KK Silver TiNi 60 stiff against the D+ 70 stiff. The KK launched a touch higher and spun pretty close to the D+.

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Has anyone tried the SZ with the Kuro Kage Tini shaft? I have been gaming the D+ but curious to have a little more launch and like 60 gram shafts over 70

I tested the SZ with KK Silver TiNi 60 stiff against the D+ 70 stiff. The KK launched a touch higher and spun pretty close to the D+.

How was the feel? I love how the diamana shafts feel. Sounds like kk will be a winner

Do you have any numbers you could share performance wise?

Must see Callaway Epic Sub Zero Vs M1 460..
Must see? that was painful to watch!

I agree that was painful. Is aboutGolf even accurate when it comes to spin/distance?

There are some anomalies when comparing to Flightscope and Trackman data.

I may have mentioned something about it in the past and upset a few people in the process... ?