2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Regarding the spin questions: Let's say you use the metallic dots. How do you know that the spin measured is actual, or that Mevo did not see the spin and used default?

Thx

You don't....But if you hit multiple shots , theres a pretty good chance that your spin. Or you can try hitting irons on driver setting. It should show up under 3k spin if it defaults.

OK that's what I thought....just wanted to make sure there was not some light/icon or some obvious way to determine if spin was measured, or spin was defaulted to the club selected.

Would be kind of handy if the noted the spin with a small m for measure or c for calculated.

Measured vs calculated annotation for results is a great idea for the end user to really ensure they are dialed in with the most accurate data possible. Not sure if FS would want to denote this however as it could expose issues to users on any hardware accuracy issues. Its always important to remember this is a $500 unit so expecting it to deliver accuracy inline with a $15K unit is not a fair fight. However if FS is willing to denote measured vs. calculated spin or any other measurement for that matter then it speaks volumes in terms of their confidence in the accuracy of the Mevo. I currently use an ES 14 and I know that 100% of my shots have calculated spin so I look at my results a bit differently knowing that not all data was measured. I am definitely interested in the Mevo but if only 50% of my shots in actuality have measured spin (at this point who really knows what the percent of shots with the stickers are measured vs. calculated) I am not sure that its worth the switch but If you could separate measured shots from calculated for comparison then its absolutely worth it.

Finally spent some time testing out my Mevo.

Indoors, Mevo 4ft back, Net return was 5ft away. Tested with an 8 iron. Slow swings picked up 100%. Full swings wouldn't register. Moved the net to 9ft and 100% were picked up.

First impressions is that it just works. Distances were in range with what I see on the course. Spin was were it should be. I used aluminum hvac tape on the ball.

Biggest problem is the video showed me how much work my swing needs.

Just bought a Flightscope X2 elite with a point grey camera. Pretty nice with high speed videos. Spent less than Trackman. So now the progression has been BEL SS, SC100, SC200, MEVO (used but never owned after canceling original order), Skytrak (irritating couldn't use yellow balls), Flightscope. Wife is an engineer and asks why not a Trackman instead of fiddling around with less capable equipment. Wanted to try built in video (on top of unit). Wish I would have known all I had to do was explain it to her and the shortcomings of the other units seemed to offset the prices. But I will have to get rid of flightscope before acquiring a Trackman. I always thought she would think it was stupid to have something as fancy as a Trackman. Just shows after decades of marriage you don't know everything about your spouse.

Lucky Ducky

Hi all, haven't posted on here but have been following this thread. I ordered the MEVO as soon as pre-orders were being accepted and received it a few weeks ago but haven't been able to try it out until this morning...full time job, 1 yr old son and pursuing a bachelors in software development kind of cuts into my golf time ! Anyway, I have to say so far I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the MEVO. I've been taking lessons since the beginning of the year with an instructor that has a Foresight GC2 with HMT and the numbers I saw with the MEVO were more or less the same. I'm using it in my back yard, hitting into a Izzo giant 12' net, set my mat up so I'm striking the ball 8' from the net and the MEVO 4' behind the ball. I used the metallic dots on the balls and out of the limited amount of swings I was able to take, maybe 10, the MEVO only missed 2 but I have to preface that with the fact that I had my sons baby monitor next to my phone so I'm not sure if that was causing any interference. Overall, my quick first impression is positive !!

7 day turn time on the Mevo's. Ordered mine last Monday and it shipped today.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I had time to test last night. I set things up with 8' of ball flight to my net and the mevo 4' behind the tee.

Pros:

-Irons/wedges were being picked up perfectly without much positioning effort

-Carry, spin, height and ball speed numbers look spot on. I played a ton of golf on the course last weekend and things were really lining up well.

-Simple to setup and use.

-The web site is nice for looking over your performance and comparing shots but imo, this is best done after your session.

Cons:

-The app is pretty much a disaster. Tons of usability bugs and it's really hard to evaluate performance during a session from your phone. Also doesn't follow the iOS design spec so you're search for features and wondering what will happen when you click around.

-Very few drivers were picked up (maybe 1 of 20) using 8' of ball flight. I was told to move back to 10' so I'll try that tonight but at that point it's going to be hard to keep wedges down. Will be a PITA to move my mat around.

Overall I'm pretty please with the mevo. I think the app can and will improve. One thought was, what if they made the mevo API open? Maybe other devs out there would want to get on board with making our own app that doesn't completely suck.

I had time to test last night. I set things up with 8' of ball flight to my net and the mevo 4' behind the tee.

Pros:

-Carry, spin, height and ball speed numbers look spot on. I played a ton of golf on the course last weekend and things were really lining up well.

-The web site is nice for looking over your performance and comparing shots but imo, this is best done after your session.

Cons:

-The app is pretty much a disaster. Tons of usability bugs and it's really hard to evaluate performance during a session from your phone. Also doesn't follow the iOS design spec so you're search for features and wondering what will happen when you click around.

-Very few drivers were picked up (maybe 1 of 20) using 8' of ball flight. I was told to move back to 10' so I'll try that tonight but at that point it's going to be hard to keep wedges down. Will be a PITA to move my mat around.

Overall I'm pretty please with the mevo. I think the app can and will improve. One thought was, what if they made the mevo API open? Maybe other devs out there would want to get on board with making our own app that doesn't completely suck.

With the driver, were you using the metal stickers? My first Mevo seemed to have issues when I used the stickers with the driver but worked well without them.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Pros:

Cons:

With the driver, were you using the metal stickers? My first Mevo seemed to have issues when I used the stickers with the driver but worked well without them.

Actually that would probably be another con--those stickers fall almost immediately. They maybe stick for 5 shots max. So I tried both with and without stickers.

Pros:

Cons:

Actually that would probably be another con--those stickers fall almost immediately. They maybe stick for 5 shots max. So I tried both with and without stickers.

I tweaked my setup for home use. 8' to the net from the ball and 4' from the ball to the Mevo. Lowes sells Turf carpet that I cut to give me the exact dimensions. The 10 foot mark is pretty dangerous with my Ruckket net but was picking up the driver better but was still missing about 30% of the shots. I have a larger net 12x10 that I purchased but it requires a frame or hanging from a tree. Neither one I'm interested in doing. I have been toying with the idea of doing a dual purpose batting cage / golf cage for my son back by my shed. My expectations are a little different for the second go round and my Mevo will be in Thursday morning.

net.jpg

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Trumb1mj1, if you're hitting off a matt make sure the Mevo is at the same height as the matt. I've had inconsistent readings and lots misses when hitting off a matt especially teeing the ball up as the mevo is effectively 1-2" lower sitting in the grass. Found the most success hitting on a cleanly cut grass driving range.

Trumb1mj1, if you're hitting off a matt make sure the Mevo is at the same height as the matt. I've had inconsistent readings and lots misses when hitting off a matt especially teeing the ball up as the mevo is effectively 1-2" lower sitting in the grass. Found the most success hitting on a cleanly cut grass driving range.

Thanks for the tip. Everything is level--I'll post a pic this evening.

Pros:

Cons:

Yeah there really is a hard minimum distance from the ball to the net. Seems like the distance from the mevo to the ball can vary by a foot. But the distance from the ball to the net has to be at least 9 feet to consistantly pick up. I tried it at 8 ft and didn't pick up many. Had to move the car and got 9 ft and it started working well. From reading a trackman posts this seems to be a radar limitation vs design. They just need a lot of space to pick up.

Had a chance tonight to more thoroughly test the MEVO and for me it's definitely a keeper !! I went through the full bag, including driver and didn't vary my setup at all, ball 8' from net and MEVO 4' behind ball and it picked up just about everything I could throw at it. I read a post about someone having issues with the metallic stickers falling off after a few shots and I can report that I did not experience that and I used the same 5 balls and must have hit at least 100 shots. Numbers were in line with what I've seen on other launch monitors and I've used Trackman, Foresight GC2 and the practice bays at the PGA Superstore so I have a fairly good idea what my numbers are. I think Flightscope has a winner here and they have been pretty proactive with app updates so I'm excited to see what additional features or app improvements they develop as time goes by.

Seeing that I have owned 2 SC200's and both were night and day from each other, it looks like the Mevo is following a similar path. Might be good for a roll call of owners and your setup.

My Setup and testing on first unit:

1) Hitting into net only

2) Ball to Mevo distance 5'

3) Ball to net distance 10'

4) Hitting off of CCE mat about 2" thick

5) Elevation of Mevo, best results were Mevo sitting on the lid of the box behind mat

6) IPhone 6 IOS 10.3.1 and Ipad mini IOS 10.3.0

7) Tested with stickers but had a lot of errors. Almost 100% accuracy without stickers

8) App Version tested at the time 1.0.6

9) App set to Indoor/4'/1010 altitude/Text to speech on/Radar notifications off

10) Used "Indoor mode" outside into net or used "Outdoor Mode" into net

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Keep debating buying one, but am torn on its usefulness. For those taking it to the range, aside from dialing in distances (which could be finicky with range balls anyway) what is your plan for using the data to improve your game?

In my case, I'm using it in my back yard and hitting into a net so I'm obviously not able to see ball flight. One of the issues I was having was low ball flight which I've been working on with my instructor. I've seen improvements since working with him and know what the improved numbers are when I'm with him and we're using his Foresight GC2. When I'm home I can use the data from the MEVO to see if my swing is producing similar height numbers and that helps me to know if the swing changes are becoming more regular for me or if I'm falling back to old swing mechanics. So for me it's helping to keep tabs on my swing and if I'm achieving the desired results. Another benefit is to confirm what my perception is of how I'm striking the ball to create more awareness of strike quality. If I felt like the shot was thin, fat or well struck I get immediate feedback which for me is helping to improve my ball striking awareness and ability. Hope this makes sense.

Keep debating buying one, but am torn on its usefulness. For those taking it to the range, aside from dialing in distances (which could be finicky with range balls anyway) what is your plan for using the data to improve your game?

Two things:

- Working on my tempo, so it's great to see that a fast temp does NOT give me more distance. I know this, but my brain sometimes does not!

- I justified the price by telling myself that it saves me many trips to the driving range, and so far this is true. I work out of my house, so it's great to walk out to my front yard and hit some balls whenever I want. Plus it saves me lots of time as the nearest range is 20 minutes away.

Yankees Suck

Quick update- mine is working great, that is when my mat is available for use...

That guy is a moose!

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Quick update- mine is working great, that is when my mat is available for use...

That guy is a moose!

She is offended, as she thinks she is a petite lap dog. Your comment made her so depressed she decided to nap.

Hawks have mistaken mine for a bunny rabbit before until they get on the ground and find out the JRT's are Honey Badgers! I still have the Hawk Tail in my garage.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

This might be part of dialing in distances but it's a great warm up tool. My range and a strong breeze behind me so distances are hard to tell. Warming up with the Mevo I can get an idea of how my stock windless distances are that day. Granted it may not be that useful if you are pretty consistent. But if you are tweaking the swing it helps a lot for playing that day.

7 day turn time on the Mevo's. Ordered mine last Monday and it shipped today.

what order number were you? i ordered on the 18th (#882) and I'm so anxious to receive an email notification. hopefully it comes tomorrow.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6