3w distance off the fairway

baller4opca

I carry about 230-235 off the deck, getting a total around 250. Off the tee close to 10 yards more carry, less roll.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

The average on the PGA Tour for 3 wood distance off the deck (carry and roll) is 243 yards.

I do not believe some of you *Average* 250,60 and 70.

I believe that you hit that quite a few times, maybe even more than half the time, but there is no chance it is your average.

Most of the time when you ask "how far do you hit X club?" or "how far do you drive?" people hear "how far CAN you drive" not "how far is your AVERAGE drive?"

Average means every shot is included. You shouldn't feel bad about an actual average of 230. Most golfers don't actually measure and just eyeball, and really good shots are seared into our brain's memories while so-so ones are quickly forgotten. If you actually average 230, you are probably in the top 5% of 3 wood hitters in the world.

I know a million people will reply to this and claim they actually do hit it that far, and I have no doubt they "can" - I very much doubt they do it on average. I also very much doubt a few of the posters in this thread who claim to be longer off the tee with their 3 woods than the average for PGA Tour driver carry, which is 274.

I have ZERO doubt that they CAN hit it that far, nor do I have any doubt that they sometimes hit it that far. I have zero belief it is their average.

When i think of "average" i am excluding outliers. For example if i am warm and take 15 swings then i'd take the average of my best 10.

Every amateur is going to hit a thin shot or a snap hook or whatever. I don't think it serves any purpose to add that into your "average" for the purpose of this discussion.

I could hit 9 consecutive 250yd shots and then top one 50yds....and my average is suddenly 230. But i don't think that is reflective of what we are talking about here.

Understand that is not how they measure it on tour but i think everyone here assumes we are going to have some margin for error and the discussion is more "how far do you hit it most of the time"

Obviously. So are they. It's a weighted average not a straight average. If someone hits a ball OB they don't average in a zero. They throw out outliers to arrive at 243. They also use holes running in opposite directions to factor out wind.

I don't think there are multiple people in this thread who average better than tour. Top end? Sure. Not average.

Fair enough, as for myself my 266 carry with driver was posted on the front page as it was measured as part of the Callaway trip. So that puts me a bit behind tour average. I think it's fair enough to assume that i could carry 245 with 3 wood which is also slightly behind tour average

I don't know about the other jabronis in this thread. Generally the long distance threads tend to attract guys who hit it far.

If you went in the 19th hole and started a thread called "how fast can you run" my guess is most of the respondents would be runners, so it will skew the average

Guys that hit much shorter than average don't always want to post in these

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Some people hit their clubs farther than people on the pga tour. Pga tour pros score well. Doesn't mean they hit it a mile. I'll gladly play 18 with you and hit only 3w off the tee all day. We can measure any time you like.

Sure. Some do. I didn't say that every single person in this thread is full of it. However the majority of replies in this thread are claiming to be better than PGA tour professionals. I find that to be hard to believe.

I *can* hit my 3 wood over 250 off the deck. I've done it before. Today I was 241 out and hit it to the front fringe. However my average is likely way below that.

Trackman gives you a perfect lie. That isn't how golf is played. It also gives you a net (usually) or a range with unlimited runout, which is a massive psychological advantage to distance (you can't hit it too far and your brain knows that). You also arn't hitting for a score, so you have zero downside to swinging out of your shoes, which doesn't exist during an actual round.

I believe that one or two of you are telling the truth. I think the rest of you are full of it. Obviously its impossible to tell who is who, but a 250 yard 3 wood *Average* off the deck is serious business. That is a fantastic player who can do that on *Average*.

EDIT - I wanted to edit to clarify something. This isn't one of those driver threads. It is MUCH MUCH easier to hit a driver as far as a PGA pro than a 3 wood off the deck. With the ball up on a peg, you can get a way with a TON more than you can when you have to make clean contact. I believe there are a ton of WRXers who can match PGA pros off the tee. I think there are almost none who can do it off the ground. It is much, much harder during actual play (where there are sidehill, downhill, uphill lies and first cuts, etc...)

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Plenty of people on here swing a 3 wood faster than 107 mph. Use a 13* head and strike it well and it will fly 250 plus. The average PGA Tour swing speed is not any faster than thousands of young accomplished amateur golfers. It is the consistency and short game that really separates those guys. I don't know why people point to the average PGA Tour player as the definitive benchmark for how far a human being is capable of hitting a golf ball.

Because Average = Consistency

So if you are telling me you can consistently hit a 250 yard + 3 wood to your intended target, you belong on the Tour and should be extremely competitive as those guys at the highest levels and they pride themselves on consistency.

I have a 102mph Swing with a 1.5 smash = 153mph ball speed for a driver, I can in fact hit a 250+ yard 3 wood, 15* YES.... on purpose, no, lucky, yes. consistently, hell no, I would say 220 at best consistently..... Thats my point. There is a difference between on demand in real life if your life counted on it.

Here is a really stupid example, Your loved one is on a pit, you have 1 chance to hit a 3 wood, 250+ yards straight on target..... can you deliver.... if you can then you belong on the tour because basically this is what the guys do for a living.... this is why us amateurs have day jobs.....

PS, I really dont care how Fast you swing your club, How about this, to hit a 250 yard 3 wood, you would need 160mph ball speeds....That means you are likely achieving a center strike and consistent contact to validate an "AVERAGE" not just couple of good strikes....

I never claimed to average 250 off the deck. I just wanted to defend those that you are calling out in disbelief and acting surprised when they defend themselves. Pointing to average PGA Tour distances as something unattainable by anyone less than a touring professional is BS. And nobody is arguing they average 250 dead on the target every time, they are talking about the shots they strike well.

Don't call people out for lying then tell them to relax when they defend themselves.

Plenty of people on here swing a 3 wood faster than 107 mph. Use a 13* head and strike it well and it will fly 250 plus. The average PGA Tour swing speed is not any faster than thousands of young accomplished amateur golfers. It is the consistency and short game that really separates those guys. I don't know why people point to the average PGA Tour player as the definitive benchmark for how far a human being is capable of hitting a golf ball.

So if you are telling me you can consistently hit a 250 yard + 3 wood to your intended target, you belong on the Tour and should be extremely competitive as those guys at the highest levels and they pride themselves on consistency.

I have a 102mph Swing with a 1.5 smash = 153mph ball speed for a driver, I can in fact hit a 250+ yard 3 wood, 15* YES.... on purpose, no, lucky, yes. consistently, hell no, I would say 220 at best consistently..... Thats my point. There is a difference between on demand in real life if your life counted on it.

Here is a really stupid example, Your loved one is on a pit, you have 1 chance to hit a 3 wood, 250+ yards straight on target..... can you deliver.... if you can then you belong on the tour because basically this is what the guys do for a living.... this is why us amateurs have day jobs.....

PS, I really dont care how Fast you swing your club, How about this, to hit a 250 yard 3 wood, you would need 160mph ball speeds....That means you are likely achieving a center strike and consistent contact to validate an "AVERAGE" not just couple of good strikes....

I never claimed to average 250 off the deck. I just wanted to defend those that you are calling out in disbelief and acting surprised when they defend themselves. Pointing to average PGA Tour distances as something unattainable by anyone less than a touring professional is BS. And nobody is arguing they average 250 dead on the target every time, they are talking about the shots they strike well.

Don't call people out for lying then tell them to relax when they defend themselves.

We're not calling out as BS that someone could do it. We're calling it out as BS that this many people can do it. As I said, above, an off the deck shot in a real round with a real lie is much harder than a driver in terms of how much Margin for error exists.

I believe there are a ton of people who can match a PGA player w the driver on these boards. I believe there are a handful who can match them off the ground, in a real round off real lies.

It's not lying, it's how the human memory works. We remember very good shots and very bad shots *much* more vividly than so-so shots. I have no doubt those posting think they hit it that far I just doubt they actually do. I think their memories are playing tricks on them and they are only remembering memorable shots. With the 3 wood that means distance.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

If you take the average from amateurs taking into account the occasional top, shank or duff, that number will be lower than their max number. But you certainly wouldn't pull 3w from 220 because it's your average when it has the capability of going 250+. That's what most guys report, what they can do, not that they do it every time.

We have a comedian...

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

When I don't hook the crap out of it, I get my 3w out there 240+ and I am not good at golf.

I realize this is the internet and all, but if the guys says he can do it, great, if he can or cannot what difference does it make? It's like the guy at the course who has a bad day every time you play against him, as long as the check clears, who cares?

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

If you didnt claim it then I am not sending my stats to you as for calling out X person, it was humor of the facts stating. In addition, I elaborated I dont THINK everyone is lying, but its hard to believe that many who responded to this thread, can "CLAIM" 250+ yards average with a 3 wood deck more so CARRY, I can accept 250 total yards but 250 carry saying 260-270 total for a 3 wood decked is just a little more difficult to accept, with that, if tour average for QUALITY strikes is some what of a realistic baseline and not some random LM numbers posted, Im going to take published stats rather than 1 persons LM numbers, Lastly defending the people? only 1 person really defended themselves....

1.48 quality strikes for a 107mph swing speed, to = 158mph ball speeds, 160mph rounded for that 250+ carry,

with a decent lower quality strike for a 3 wood, you are telling me that this person needs at least 111mph 3 wood swing speed with a 1.45 quality of strike to obtain 160mph ball speed.

Again its just a little difficult to believe this.

Calling out someone to be a jerk is one thing, But justifying it with data as I posted was more of a validation to the OP and to the other posters that claim their shots.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Those numbers for carry are also based on spin. I'm tired of arguing with you. I'll simply suffice it to say that I've got witnesses locally that can vouch for my claims and have witnessed my game. Having 299yds uphill to a pin on a par 5 and being past pin high putting for eagle. Or having 312 slightly downhill, and flying it all the way there. Laser verified with 2 different lasers as well as gps apps. You can't tell me it's impossible because I've done it. On a more than regular basis. I don't live at 5000 ft above sea level. Look up albany, ny and tell me the elevation. Try and get home on a 600 yard hole in 2. Then come talk to me.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

Those numbers for carry are also based on spin. I'm tired of arguing with you. I'll simply suffice it to say that I've got witnesses locally that can vouch for my claims and have witnessed my game. Having 299yds uphill to a pin on a par 5 and being past pin high putting for eagle. Or having 312 slightly downhill, and flying it all the way there. Laser verified with 2 different lasers as well as gps apps. You can't tell me it's impossible because I've done it. On a more than regular basis. I don't live at 5000 ft above sea level. Look up albany, ny and tell me the elevation. Try and get home on a 600 yard hole in 2. Then come talk to me.

You have nothing to prove to me, if you can do it, you can do it, I was not "arguing" with you, I think its fabulous that you can do it and I have absolutely no ability to ever do so. With that being said if you are truly the anomaly that is able to do so, well great! But with the rest, I just hope that they are not heading for a beautiful let down.

Again please dont get so excited, it was never intended to insult but to be a devils advocate to what I have experienced. Thats it nothing more, so no need to read into it any more!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

When I don't hook the crap out of it, I get my 3w out there 240+ and I am not good at golf.

I realize this is the internet and all, but if the guys says he can do it, great, if he can or cannot what difference does it make? It's like the guy at the course who has a bad day every time you play against him, as long as the check clears, who cares?

The OP literally asked if these were realistic three wood distances. That's why we are talking about it.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

You have nothing to prove to me, if you can do it, you can do it, I was not "arguing" with you, I think its fabulous that you can do it and I have absolutely no ability to ever do so. With that being said if you are truly the anomaly that is able to do so, well great! But with the rest, I just hope that they are not heading for a beautiful let down.

Again please dont get so excited, it was never intended to insult but to be a devils advocate to what I have experienced. Thats it nothing more, so no need to read into it any more!

Exactly. I'm sure one or two is correct. We have no way of knowing which one or two. Could be him, who knows. It's probably not true that 9 out of the 14 first to respond in this thread are significantly better than tour level. They are either actively lying (doubtful) or deluded (much more likely).

It's possible 9 of 14 are that good I guess. But it's incredibly unlikely.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

The OP literally asked if these were realistic three wood distances. That's why we are talking about it.

Guess people want to take our validation to the OP as an attack, rather than a for what it is.

Its funny, we are validating the "realistic" applicable numbers published and seeming factual based on the PGA tour, People want to come in and boast how they are longer than that.... So does that seem "average" for what was posted off the tour, NO that means those that can out drive a PGA tour pro is anomaly and not the average.

Secondly, the average golfer, does not even hit there 7iron 150 yards.... but dont quote me on it, because peoples minds will explode.....

Anyways, I hope OP got the validation they needed and those that "think" they hit 250+ carry with a 3 wood decked really examine what it takes and if they actually do achieve this then GREAT! If not, it might be in their best interest TO evaluate their numbers if they are truly reaching these numbers.....

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

This is sad, I feel sad for you.

These ridiculous rants with extra caveats added each time to reduce your chance at being wrong is sad.."on demand, slices and draws that go that far don't count, loved one at risk, life depended on it, at your target"

Isn't anyone not trying to hit the target.

Many of us are longer than tour guys....much. not the norm but tour guys SCORE that's mainly it compared to athletic ams...geez

I've seen alot of articles where pros hit their 3w 240-270. Is this off the tee or deck? How far can you reach? I am sitting at 215-220. I don't swing for the fences and sometimes give up yards for more accuracy if needed.

Really?

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

These ridiculous rants with extra caveats added each time to reduce your chance at being wrong is sad.."on demand, slices and draws that go that far don't count, loved one at risk, life depended on it, at your target"

Many of us are longer than tour guys....much. not the norm but tour guys SCORE that's mainly it compared to athletic ams...geez

67827968.jpg

Its all good, my post, while extremely silly and if you did not catch that, is all good..... Im sure the "greater" good got it, I am sorry I offended you, my deepest apologies........

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Mine hasn't landed yet.

Just found it in someones backyard. Hope you hit a provisional.

Thanks bro. Out of curiosity, what country did you find it in? The performance I'm getting from my 3 wood/K Sig combo is off the map.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

lmao people, calm down. We can't all get a long? I agree with each argument. A lot of guys on this forum can hit it very far, farther than a lot of pros. The pros aren't just DJ, JD, Rory, Bubba, JB Holmes or any of the other big hitters. The pros also consist of "control" players like Luke Donald, Colt Knost, Soren Kjeldsen, or David Toms. At the Farmers Insurance, Brian Stuard's average driving distance was only about 270 (GASP!) So yeah, many guys on the forum including myself can hit it longer than those guys. But what all pros have over us mere mortals is accuracy. Pros can hit it exactly 250 off the deck to the exact spot they want. Myself, on the other hand, can go after it and get 265 but it may or may not be exactly where I want it.

To OP, yeah many guys can hit a long way. I'm only 28 and a former athlete so I love swinging hard and fast. But there are also a ton of guys who may be recovering from injury, may be a little older, or just prefers to have a controlled game over distance that hit their 3w much less.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

67827968.jpg

Its all good, my post, while extremely silly and if you did not catch that, is all good..... Im sure the "greater" good got it, I am sorry I offended you, my deepest apologies........

LOL!!! :cheesy: Nice pic seriously :)

Its just always the guys who dont hit it far salving thier ego calling out others being short like them - I get it, but get a wrx outing together near you and get your learn on. Then Ill be happy for you :derisive:

220-225 carry off the deck. 235-240 Carry off a tee.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

For my 13.5* 3 wood, 245*-250 is stock off the deck and 255-260 is stock off the tee if I do my part.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

This thread went from 0 - WTF real quick. Jeezus, yes there are TONS of people who can pound a golf ball. I can fly my 3w 265 all damn day with my eyes closed and i have flown it over 300 yards on many occasions. One day people will understand how many athletes there are on planet earth. I played with a 12 year old at my club this summer who flies his driver 285.

250? Haha! if im standing 250 out on a par 5 im smoothing a 5w or hammering a 2i.

Go play in some competitive amateur stuff around the country and get educated. There are thousands of college golfers that can absolutely pound it.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS