2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

USGA Proposes to Modernize Rules of Golf

You're missing the point. Rarely is slow play due to a group falling behind an entire hole. Every foursome is going to have slow holes and then catch back up. But when courses have no time buffer between groups, a single group falling behind for a couple of minutes ripples through the rest of the field and the field will never catch up, and a marshall isn't going to be able to do jack squat when there's 3 groups on a par 3 and no place to go.

It's exactly like driving in rush hour traffic. One extra car merges in a half mile in front of you and it slows every other car down behind, until the traffic is light enough where there's a space buffer.

LB normally I agree with you 100% but not on this one. Cramped tee times do cause issues but we played 2 Saturday's ago with 12 minute tee times. We caught the group in front of us in the second fairway. On the 15th hole we literally waited, on the tee, for 10 minutes because they were also on the tee and just futzing around. We were also walking and they were riding...9 miles course. You'd think they'd pick up some extra time with that, too.

So while the intervals can and do cause issues, there are just some guys who play really freaking slow.

I agree with you both! And in the example Dave just gave, that's when I wish I could use an RPG to take out the group in front of me. :)

Would that RPG be forged or cast?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing the point. Rarely is slow play due to a group falling behind an entire hole. Every foursome is going to have slow holes and then catch back up. But when courses have no time buffer between groups, a single group falling behind for a couple of minutes ripples through the rest of the field and the field will never catch up, and a marshall isn't going to be able to do jack squat when there's 3 groups on a par 3 and no place to go.

It's exactly like driving in rush hour traffic. One extra car merges in a half mile in front of you and it slows every other car down behind, until the traffic is light enough where there's a space buffer.

LB normally I agree with you 100% but not on this one. Cramped tee times do cause issues but we played 2 Saturday's ago with 12 minute tee times. We caught the group in front of us in the second fairway. On the 15th hole we literally waited, on the tee, for 10 minutes because they were also on the tee and just futzing around. We were also walking and they were riding...9 miles course. You'd think they'd pick up some extra time with that, too.

So while the intervals can and do cause issues, there are just some guys who play really freaking slow.

I agree with you both! And in the example Dave just gave, that's when I wish I could use an RPG to take out the group in front of me. :)

Would that RPG be forged or cast?

tour issue of course

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

• 2 months later...

I am late in the thread, but perhaps you guys can answer this. So for now, all these changes are proposed changes and not actual. Am I right to assume that actual changes will be in effect once the new Rules have been printed, or when the USGA/R&A formally announce which of the proposed rules will be in effect?

Why didn't they just announce nothing and simply release the new Rules so we wouldn't have to keep guessing which of the proposed Rule changes will be in effect?

I am late in the thread, but perhaps you guys can answer this. So for now, all these changes are proposed changes and not actual. Am I right to assume that actual changes will be in effect once the new Rules have been printed, or when the USGA/R&A formally announce which of the proposed rules will be in effect?

Why didn't they just announce nothing and simply release the new Rules so we wouldn't have to keep guessing which of the proposed Rule changes will be in effect?

The proposals were floated last spring to facilitate a comments period. That period is now closed. The RBs are working through them in order to publish the 2019 Rules in time to retrain the world's golfers, referees and administrators in advance of January 1, 2019.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know when the USGA and R&A might make a formal announcement regarding adoption, and make copies of the 2019 Revision available?

Spring 2018.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/infographics/infographic--roadmap-to-2019.html#expanded

Does anyone know when the USGA and R&A might make a formal announcement regarding adoption, and make copies of the 2019 Revision available?

As far as I know, the national golf associations should be receiving the new sets of Rules this month so that they can start translating them. The official release will be in March if I remember correctly. I might have the month wrong but in the spring anyway.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I've only scanned the previous 25 so apologies if this has been covered and i missed it.

I see real problems with not having to announce to others playing, and give them a chance to observe, that you are lifting your ball to check it isnt plugged or damaged etc. This is a cheats charter in my view. Big error.

I've only scanned the previous 25 so apologies if this has been covered and i missed it.

I see real problems with not having to announce to others playing, and give them a chance to observe, that you are lifting your ball to check it isnt plugged or damaged etc. This is a cheats charter in my view. Big error.

I agree, BUT, we are all supposed to play honorably, so there should be no need to watch a drop, a mark, etc.

Cheaters are going to cheat regardless of what the rules are. This rule just speeds up pace of play for the rest of us that are honest.

I agree, BUT, we are all supposed to play honorably, so there should be no need to watch a drop, a mark, etc.

Cheaters are going to cheat regardless of what the rules are. This rule just speeds up pace of play for the rest of us that are honest.

Very true. The honourable ones wont do it though. I would feel very awkward lifting my ball without notifying my fellow competitors first, so it wont happen.

Very true. The honourable ones wont do it though. I would feel very awkward lifting my ball without notifying my fellow competitors first, so it wont happen.

Still a good practice, to keep "wa" in the group. Just no longer a requirement.

Still a good practice, to keep "wa" in the group. Just no longer a requirement.

I know im a cynic but i can see some people checking their ball for damage on a regular basis, especially if its picked up mud. To see an opponent in the rough, ball in hand, is going to take some getting used to.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

Does anyone knows when the final draft/version of the Rules of Golf 2019 will be ready?

I have to say, since I saw they were changing, I stop studying the old ones but really like to engage with the new ones.

Thanks in advance

I have understood that National organisations have received the rules for translation. So something is happening.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

• 3 weeks later...

The latest news is that the ruling bodies have gathered at The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews and the new Rules should be finalized by Friday. No information on the release date, though.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

They wave a flagstick at noon GMT everyday.

Red, discussions are too heated and will start again tomorrow.

White, discussions ongoing and close to resolution.

Blue, agreements have been reached. Announcement by 5PM.

Black and yellow checkered: These proceedings are complete, we will reconvene at the 19th hole in 90 seconds.

They wave a flagstick at noon GMT everyday.

Red, discussions are too heated and will start again tomorrow.

White, discussions ongoing and close to resolution.

Blue, agreements have been reached. Announcement by 5PM.

Black and yellow checkered: These proceedings are complete, we will reconvene at the 19th hole in 90 seconds.

It might be a better outcome to modernize the rules in the 19th hole. Our group has solved many world dilemmas over an ice cold cerveza or two six.

Is it true that you can repair ANYTHING you see on your line of putt?

If so hows that going to speed play?

Is it your perception that each of the proposed changes is meant to speed play? Not so.

No. But i thought that was the driver for the reveiw.

http://www.usga.org/...initiative.html

We hope that the proposed changes will be a major step forward in pursuing the following goals and objectives:

Overall Goals. We want the Rules of Golf to:

Be more easily understood and applied by all golfers;

Be more consistent, simple and fair; and

Reinforce the game’s longstanding principles and character.

Specific Objectives for Revising the Substance of the Rules. We want the new Rules to:

Use concepts, procedures and outcomes that are more intuitive and easier to learn;

Use a consistent approach for similar situations;

Avoid unnecessary concepts and exceptions that may create “penalty traps” for the player; and

Support broader objectives for the game, such as pace of play and environmental stewardship.

Specific Objectives for How the Rules are Presented. We want the revised Rules materials to:

Be written in a modern, plain style that uses more common words, shorter sentences and explanatory headings, and that ends the use of male-only references;

Be easier to translate into other languages;

Make greater use of visual aids such as graphics, photos and videos;

Clarify the purposes and principles underlying each of the main Rules;

Include a version of the Rules that is written from the player’s perspective and focuses on what the typical golfer needs to know; and

Use technology to make it easier to search and review the Rules, both on and off the course.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

You know what thought did.

Did it do something along the lines of the "making/an/a**/out/of/you/and/me" -- assume thing?

No. In the UK the saying is that "thought killed the cat."

No me neither.

I dont know where I got that idea from.

I will let you super intelligent superior beings play amongst yourselves then.

The claimed original was - he followed a muck cart and thought it was a wedding.

The origin is said to be biblical

The bridegroom is Jesus and the children of God are the bride

Those who have salvation through Christ will be invited to the wedding

However many will be deceived because of their own minds and thoughts and will be following satan (the muck cart)

Alternatives include

planted a feather and thought it would grow into a hen

thought he had when he hadn't

thought he'd put the light out so lit a candle to see

thought he'd left his bottom hanging out of bed, so he got out and tucked it back in again.'