2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

Forged4ever or other FG59 expert

I have a set of the 59 model that was private labeled for Edwin Watts. They don't say FG 59 on them, they just say Tour Blade.

Does anyone know if this is the same club as the FG 59 with just different cosmetics? Or is this a completely different club e.g. different shape, different metal, etc. ?

Aoologies as I was off of the board for a few days-

Duke and I spoke via messaging and to answer if anyone else was wondering, yes, the Staff blades that say simply "Tour Blade" on the face back were special ordered for Watts.

I've been trying to find a 9+ set for years to no avail however the set that the Dukester has do not really fit his specs so I'm buying em!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm elated

Though I'll probably never be able to effectively swing/Play a blade, I've wanted those so badly cuz that's almost exactly how my 78 Tour Blades looked that I Played till I went to Mizzy in 1987

Almost Exactly as mine had no Staff crest and "Tour Blade" in the position that it is for the Watts irons!!

Sooooo, it's starting off as a great week, haha

Thanks Duke

Youda Man!!

My Best

Richard

Super jealous!

Those are stunners, I am always on the look out for another set of the FG59's (or Tour blades). I even contacted Wilson Staff to see if they had any old heads laying around but sadly they didn't

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of the 59 model that was private labeled for Edwin Watts. They don't say FG 59 on them, they just say Tour Blade.

Does anyone know if this is the same club as the FG 59 with just different cosmetics? Or is this a completely different club e.g. different shape, different metal, etc. ?

Aoologies as I was off of the board for a few days-

Duke and I spoke via messaging and to answer if anyone else was wondering, yes, the Staff blades that say simply "Tour Blade" on the face back were special ordered for Watts.

I've been trying to find a 9+ set for years to no avail however the set that the Dukester has do not really fit his specs so I'm buying em!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm elated??

Though I'll probably never be able to effectively swing/Play a blade, I've wanted those so badly cuz that's almost exactly how my 78 Tour Blades looked that I Played till I went to Mizzy in 1987

Almost Exactly as mine had no Staff crest and "Tour Blade" in the position that it is for the Watts irons!!

Thanks Duke?

Youda Man!!

My Best?

Richard

Richard,

Everything you've said about these irons is true. I finally got them to the range today and the performance in general, not just the feel is fantastic....first rate, as good as it gets. I'm going to go all in on them with shafts, etc.. They'll be getting some play even. Believe it or not though, they still won't/wouldn't/couldn't knock my J15 MB's out of the bag. That club is also that good. I hope you're well and thanks again for getting the word out on these. This pristine set just parachuted into my lap last week.

Best wishes!

Apologies as I was off of the board for a few days-

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm elated??

Thanks Duke?

Youda Man!!

My Best?

Richard

Richard,

Everything you've said about these irons is true. I finally got them to the range today and the performance in general, not just the feel is fantastic....first rate, as good as it gets. I'm going to go all in on them with shafts, etc.. They'll be getting some play even. Believe it or not though, they still won't/wouldn't/couldn't knock my J15 MB's out of the bag. That club is also that good. I hope you're well and thanks again for getting the word out on these. This pristine set just parachuted into my lap last week.

Best wishes!

Hey JS, thanks so much for the great post!!

You've got the Edwin Watts limited release set, which just have the Staff crest and "Tour Blade" on the case back.

They are identical to the general release 59's(pictured below) with the exception of the cosmetic changes on the case back.

I purchased Duke's Edwin Watts' set and they too are in great shape however I ended up back in the hospital and already have 2 sets in my room and that's the limit, lmao, so I'm sending one home with Madison and she's bringing them in either today or tomorrow and I'll post em.

I'm really glad that ya like em as I really believe that they're Staff's Best "modern(post 1990)" blade however Isaac got a pristine set of 62's and he's in love and into the bag they went, lol.

I love when Players who've never Played Staff, and at a tourney tested +4.8, Isaac's a Player, hit and then bag Staffs, haha.

He said that they felt amazing.

Well, thanks again for the kind words and thoughts and enjoy the sticks?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hey Forged4ever.....get yourself out of the hospital and go hit some balls!!! A man needs a little fresh air to keep the body moving.

I just bought a set of FG 100 to replace the Edwin Watts Tour Blades you bought. These suit my eye and I've been hitting them really well. I could do without the swirls on the back of the blade, but everything else is perfect.

I know you're a Snead fan so I'll share my one Snead story. A friend of mine from The Homestead took me to The Masters the year Sam wrecked his car on the way to Augusta. He got us clubhouse passes from Sam and we even had dinner with Sam one night at Augusta Country Club. It was a memorable couple of days for sure!

Go make some birdies!

Apologies as I was off of the board for a few days-

WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm elated

Thanks Duke

Youda Man!!

My Best

Richard

Richard,

Best wishes!

Hey JS, thanks so much for the great post!!

You've got the Edwin Watts limited release set, which just have the Staff crest and "Tour Blade" on the case back.

They are identical to the general release 59's(pictured below) with the exception of the cosmetic changes in the case back.

I purchased Duke's Edwin Watts' set and they too are in great shape however I ended up back in the hospital and already have 2 sets in my room and that's the limit, lmao, so I'm sending one home with Madison and she's bringing them in either today or tomorrow and I'll post em.

I'm really glad that ya like em as I really believe that they're Staff's Best "modern(post 1990) blade however Isaac got a pristine set of 62's and he's in love and into the bag they went, lol.

I love when Players who've never Played Staff, and at a tourney tested +4.8, Isaac's a Player, hit and then bag Staffs, haha.

He said that they felt amazing.

Well, thanks again for the kind words and thoughts and enjoy the sticks

My Best,

RP

Richard,

I'm really sad to hear that you're back in the hospital. You know that program well by now and I'm just hoping that you'll continue to look ahead. As a fellow cancer patient (what a distinction), I can't overstate how golf gets me through the tough days. Our game is so all-consuming that when the "dreads" (that's what my wife calls it) come, I have golf to fall back on as the best distraction there is. It's what I look forward to more than anything. I'm sure it's the same for you. I'm finally playing a little again and it's meant everything to my general health, and I'm just praying that you'll get that opportunity again. I'm sure you will...you'll just have to adjust your expectations of yourself a little when the time comes and, if you get the urge, even play those 59's if you feel like it. In our situation, the score is not the only thing that matters. I played twice last week...on Tuesday they had to come get me on the 8th tee, and on Thursday I made it all the way to 14 and even played 5 through nine in one under (Olympic-Lake), which I never do. That alone will keep me going until next time. I walk, and I'd have it no other way as long as it's possible. I'll get 18 in one of these days soon, as I hope you will. In the meantime, keep playing in your mind and sharing your expertise and experiences with us. It's therapeutic for everyone and a reminder to be grateful for EVERYTHING. The objective, as you know, is to hang around long enough to be here when they find a cure...just don't let them ruin your health in the meantime. I'm happy that you've got a couple of good nurses like I do...makes all the difference. God bless you in your fight.

Best wishes...

Hey Forged4ever.....get yourself out of the hospital and go hit some balls!!! A man needs a little fresh air to keep the body moving.

I just bought a set of FG 100 to replace the Edwin Watts Tour Blades you bought. These suit my eye and I've been hitting them really well. I could do without the swirls on the back of the blade, but everything else is perfect.

I know you're a Snead fan so I'll share my one Snead story. A friend of mine from The Homestead took me to The Masters the year Sam wrecked his car on the way to Augusta. He got us clubhouse passes from Sam and we even had dinner with Sam one night at Augusta Country Club. It was a memorable couple of days for sure!

Go make some birdies!

Good Morning Dukester, Kathy Marie, Maddie & Gents?

These are sweet!!

I'll clean em up when Madison brings me my "clean-up" kit, lmao.

Yea, even though I shouldn't be hitting Blades when I can swing again, I'm going to hit these as I've gotta see where I am. I realize that it's a long way from where I was, though I've gotta see for myself, lol. It ain't gonna be pretty but no way it's worse than when I came back from my last shoulder recon in 2007-08, lol.

THAT was ugly, lmao.

That's great that ya got to meet and mess around with Sam. He was one of a kind, though he and Pete were very different personality wise. Regarding that wreck, which occurred in the early 90's, I believe in 1991 or '92, well, after I flipped the cart in 1988 with Sam's and my bags on it, he refused to ride with me, even when we were Partners, lol. He also would tell anyone who listened and even those who didn't give a flick what a shatty driver I was, so after his mishap, and after he was up, about and recovered, I brought his car wreck up whenever he brought up my cart along with his two brand new custom Penna drivers, which went from 2 shafts to 4 following the cart's tumble, haha.

Sam could dish it out however in all seriousness, he was one of the most thin skinned individuals that I have ever met who would talk a lot of smack, yet if someone threw a light hearted "zinger" back his way, he got pissed, he had a long memory and carried a "grudge."

We didn't speak for a little over a year over the car comment and he even wanted a re-draw when we were picked as Partners in the Swat, lol.

Hell, he went five plus years not speaking to Pete including when we were all sitting at the same table in the card room post-round after Pete light heartedly ribbed him about a few missed short putts that cost he and Pete $5, lmao!!

Five friggin dollars turned into five years?

Anyhoo, thanks again for the sticks and I really appreciate the thoughts and wishes Duke!!

Ya made my month :)

Have a great weekend?

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Go make some birdies!

Good Morning Dukester, Kathy Marie, Maddie & Gents

These are sweet!!

I'll clean em up when Madison brings me my "clean-up" kit, lmao.

Yea, even though I shouldn't be hitting Blades when I can swing again, I'm going to hit these as I've gotta see where I am. I realize that it's a long way from where I was, though I've gotta see for myself, lol. It ain't gonna be pretty but no way it's worse than when I came back from my last shoulder recon in 2007-08, lol.

THAT was ugly, lmao.

That's great that ya got to meet and mess around with Sam. He was one of a kind, though he and Pete were very different personality wise. Regarding that wreck, which occurred in the early 90's, I believe in 1991 or '92, well, after I flipped the cart in 1988 with Sam's and my bags on it, he refused to ride with me, even when we were Partners, lol. He also would tell anyone who listened and even those who didn't give a flick what a shatty driver I was, so after his mishap, and after he was up, about and recovered, I brought his car wreck up whenever he brought up my cart along with his two brand new custom Penna drivers, which went from 2 shafts to 4 following the cart's tumble, haha.

Sam could dish it out however in all seriousness, he was one of the most thin skinned individuals that I have ever met who would talk a lot of smack, yet if someone threw a light hearted "zinger" back his way, he got pissed, he had a long memory and carried a "grudge."

We didn't speak for a little over a year over the car comment and he even wanted a re-draw when we were picked as Partners in the Swat, lol.

Hell, he went five plus years not speaking to Pete including when we were all sitting at the same table in the card room post-round after Pete light heartedly ribbed him about a few missed short putts that cost he and Pete $5, lmao!!

Five friggin dollars turned into five years

Anyhoo, thanks again for the sticks and I really appreciate the thoughts and wishes Duke!!

Ya made my month :)

Have a great weekend

My Best,

Richard

Richard (Forged)-

Thanks again for the Snead story.

The year these W/S Tour Blades (RH Only) came out was one of those years Wilson made "corporate decisions" about equipment.

Never found out whose decision it was, but just read Wilson sent a "Special" iron set to Mickey Wright (FG Tour 100 Forged?)

Read what she says about them....

Still Zero.

• 1 month later...

Re: those Edwin Watts Tour Blades vs the FG59... To my knowledge, the head is basically identical (except for the FG59 stamping) but I'm almost positive the Watts version came with lighter .370 shafts while the 59s came with your more typical tapered Dynamic Gold. I think that's the main reason the Watts version sold for less.

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

New to the board and have been a Wilson player since I was a kid. I am still playing with my used set of Ultra 45's. Looking to get a newer set. Keep seeing people refer to a V5. Is this a typo and they mean F5 or did I miss a version?

Check out the Wilson website to see their current models. The V5 is one of the latest versions of their forged, players cb. They are at V6 now. Check the Wilson website.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Again I have never seen a "V5". As far as I can tell the V series went 2, 4, 6 and the they had some others in the odd numbers like the M3 and the F5 but I have been doing a lot of homework and never saw a Wilson Staff V5. Would love to see what this looks like.

Trying to see if I should pick up a great deal on a set of F5's or wait for the upcomming forged C300's which look oh so nice.

Really enjoyed this thread, we had a long time pro who retired 8 years ago that was on staff with Wilson for almost 50 years at the same course. At one time he was one of their largest green grass accounts, back in their glory days.

I still have a set of 67 Fluid Feels, a set of 71 button back reproductions that they did in 87 that are brand new in their wooden display case.........and a set of FG-51's that I loved, one of my favorite irons ever.

They made some great products!

Again I have never seen a "V5". As far as I can tell the V series went 2, 4, 6 and the they had some others in the odd numbers like the M3 and the F5 but I have been doing a lot of homework and never saw a Wilson Staff V5. Would love to see what this looks like.

Trying to see if I should pick up a great deal on a set of F5's or wait for the upcomming forged C300's which look oh so nice.

perceptive...

They went V2 M3 V4 F5 V6 for the iron releases...

I have a set of M3s that I love, and are preserving as my next set.

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

That is correct regarding the Fg V’s-

They did release the Fg Tour F5’s that my former partner and Madison gave to me.

They’ve gotten rave reviews~

Instead of telling me that I’ll never be able to hit a blade again they just buy me other irons, lmao

That’s ok, I got me set of 100’s, Duke’s Tour Blade’s and a set of MP-4’s so even if I can’t hit em, I can throw em in the bag and strike a pose, lmao

Have a great day Gals & Gents?

RP

These F5’s are sweet irons-

You should hit/Play em if ya can

Stay well my Friend?

RP

New to the board and have been a Wilson player since I was a kid. I am still playing with my used set of Ultra 45's. Looking to get a newer set. Keep seeing people refer to a V5. Is this a typo and they mean F5 or did I miss a version?

Welcome Casper~

Regarding the V/F’s, that has been explained abiver me?

You now have more likes(I gave ya one) than posts so I’d go out on top and tell us to go screw ourselves cuz it’s a slippery slide indeed, lmao

I’m kidddin?

Enjoy the board?

My Best,

RIchard

I played as a kid with my grandfather and quite after he passed away for other "hobbies". Got back into it recently (after about 15+ years) when invited to a charity tournament over the summer and caught the bug. Updated all my woods and although I like my Ultra 45's figure there has to be something out there better. I have good distance but not a ton of control. I have hit the V6's and the F5's at the local shop. V6's with S300 and F5's with R shafts all stock. Not sure if I am ready for a "fitting" for shafts.

I like the little longer head of the F5's but have to admit the V6 has a better feel when you get one flush. Both feel better than my current sticks but maybe it is a little bit of just wanting new stuff. Either way still love what Wilson is doing.

Sorry Got this a little off track from talking about gorgeous blades of years gone ;) Thinking I might pick up some F5's on ebay for cheap and then look close at the new forged C300's that look great in the coming year and maybe get fit for those. Thanks for the warm welcome to the board.

Really enjoyed this thread, we had a long time pro who retired 8 years ago that was on staff with Wilson for almost 50 years at the same course. At one time he was one of their largest green grass accounts, back in their glory days.

I still have a set of 67 Fluid Feels, a set of 71 button back reproductions that they did in 87 that are brand new in their wooden display case.........and a set of FG-51's that I loved, one of my favorite irons ever.

They made some great products!

Your post reminded me of the glory days (as you say) of Wilson. Those days were real, not a myth.

As a kid I remember looking at a brand new set of 1963 Wilson Staff irons in the pro shop. I would go in every day and look and touch them, I wanted them so bad. Finally the day came as I had saved $187.00 and bought the irons. I must have played those irons for at least 10 years.

I traded them for something else in the mid 70's, can't remember what. Now, so many years later I wish I still had them. I often wonder where they are, probably in some garage or basement gathering dust.

I was so proud of those irons. Man, they were good!

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Titleist T200 5 -PW & Gap

SW:  Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

wjd-

Some of us still have a few iron sets of Wilsons...from 1952 to 1992.

Most LH. Even some RH iron heads.

Won't be adding any more Wilson Staffs.

Not offering any LH models of their FG Tour 100 Forged iron was it for me.

100 years and LH Wilson Staff irons used to win PGA Tour Events....but then...RH Only.

"It was a corporate decision.."

Night train-

Great set of "Buttonback" remakes. Nice cabinet, too.

wjd-

Some of us still have a few iron sets of Wilsons...from 1952 to 1992.

Most LH. Even some RH iron heads.

Won't be adding any more Wilson Staffs.

Not offering any LH models of their FG Tour 100 Forged iron was it for me.

100 years and LH Wilson Staff irons used to win PGA Tour Events....but then...RH Only.

"It was a corporate decision.."

Night train-

Great set of "Buttonback" remakes. Nice cabinet, too.

Just picked up a set of the FG Tour 100th anniversary irons, they are unbelievably classic! Can't wait to put them into action out on the course. Too bad they never released them in LH for you. I understand why companies don't mass-produce a head like these in LH, but always thought it would be nice if they could do a "custom order only" kind of deal.

Manbear-

Oh Yes!-

Agree with you, but understand their responses for the last 30+ years have been-

"The LH Custom Order is cost prohibitive!"

A few documented examples.

Bob Charles "BC" irons ground by Don White.....$10,000 in 1990, from MacGregor Sales rep..

Mike Weir custom ground TM irons for 2003 Masters Champion......"No, they're "one of a kind model", and would cost close to $25,000" Golfworld.

Even when Wilson was making Custom Ground irons, the answer was the above.

Even Tom Stites, of Hogan and Nike fame, was once quoted as stating "If you don't have a (PGA Tour) Card, then don't bother calling me."

Now we're looking at equipment companies using those posted numbers, and not even blinking.

Go Figure.

..guess we'll just have to build our own...

• 1 month later...

I’ve got an old set of Goosenecks that have original shafts. I’m thinking of getting them refurbished. Just not sure it’s worth it. Opinions?

And where on the west coast could I take them for evaluation?

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

I too play Staff forged and I wouldn't change brands for any other on the market .. I learned on the Blades wayyyyy back when and it's made me a better golfer because to play these one must focus greatly to hit them in the sweet spot and to hit shots where you want them to go and the SMACK when you have a well struck ball is awesome. I play the V2 's 3-pw and the WilsonStaff Fg tour ball ,wedge,fybrid 19.5 (this club is BOSS) ,Triton Driver.. I too have had cancer and I know what it's like to come back and smell the grass and the smack of a great shot and the feel of the soft grass on a green .I don't know what I would have done to help me recover mentally and physically if not for golf. Still not fully back but with my WilsonStaff in tow I will get back..

I too play Staff forged and I wouldn't change brands for any other on the market .. I learned on the Blades wayyyyy back when and it's made me a better golfer because to play these one must focus greatly to hit them in the sweet spot and to hit shots where you want them to go and the SMACK when you have a well struck ball is awesome. I play the V2 's 3-pw and the WilsonStaff Fg tour ball ,wedge,fybrid 19.5 (this club is BOSS) ,Triton Driver.. I too have had cancer and I know what it's like to come back and smell the grass and the smack of a great shot and the feel of the soft grass on a green .I don't know what I would have done to help me recover mentally and physically if not for golf. Still not fully back but with my WilsonStaff in tow I will get back..

You da Man.....

An inspiring post. Thank you and good luck.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches