2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

You can buy a brand new set (4i-GW) of the V4's on ebay through budget golf for 349.99. They actually had a 20% off promo the other day that brought them down to below $300. Even so, 349 is an absolute steal.

I bought them at that price. I'm a horrid golfer and barley golf, but I have no self control.

Should be an upgrade over a wilson box set at any rate...

I accidentally bought them and then had to quickly cancel the order before the wife got angry. I may not have self control on my own, but the Mrs. necessitates it.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy a brand new set (4i-GW) of the V4's on ebay through budget golf for 349.99. They actually had a 20% off promo the other day that brought them down to below $300. Even so, 349 is an absolute steal.

Those are super lookin irons and Paddy and Ricky swore by em.

Do you know if there are any legit potential performance benefits of the 6's over the 4's?

Beyond the obligatory "more forgiving, more distance, straighter," lol

Legit differences in the irons like there were between the V2's and 4's-

The 2's were a quality iron however Staff really took it up a notch with the 4's-

Thanks much

My Best,

Richard

I can't imagine there is much of a discernible difference, but I don't have the experience necessary to make a claim either way.

Do you know if there are any legit potential performance benefits of the 6's over the 4's?

Same head, same material, same specs. Tungsten sole weighting shifted in the long irons away from the center and more heel/toe.

The V6's look nicer TBH. I can't imagine the moving of the weights does anything a real golfer would notice. Maybe a robot repeating off center hits might see something in the long irons but you'd think the difference would be negligible regardless.

I went with a set of mint V4's for $300 and have no regrets.

I can't imagine the moving of the weights does anything a real golfer would notice. Maybe a robot repeating off center hits might see something in the long irons but you'd think the difference would be negligible regardless.

I've been playing the V4s for almost a year now, and I have a tendency to hit towards the toe. When I tested the 4-5 iron V6s, my toe strikes seemed to feel a bit better and go just a tad bit farther than with my V4s. I won't upgrade over it, but I definitely preferred the V6s over all. Anyone would be more than happy with the V4s, though, especially if their budget was tight. If your budget ISN'T tight, go with the V6 :)

Well, been trying out clubs for a month now. I thought for sure I was going to go with Ping i200 or Mizuno JPX 900 series, or maybe even MP5 or TaylorMade 770, but I hit the Wilson Staff V6 twice and it is the winner. I just kept coming back to it. Bought a set with the DG AMT shafts. Looking forward to playing them. Love the look of these clubs and the more traditional lofts too. I don't have a distance problem and these are perfect gaps. Compact head, almost exactly the same as my MP 59s, and the soles are outstanding. That's a key for me. Will be cool to get out there with a new set of Wilson Staffs. These are very well-designed and playable clubs. Mid-handicappers,

do not fear the V6. Nice weight behind the impact area gives them a great feel. Mid bounce, more than Mizuno, less than Ping. I've got a test Ping i200 6 iron I had bought to assess the shaft before I bought the whole set. Then I hit the V6 and I knew.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Well, been trying out clubs for a month now. I thought for sure I was going to go with Ping i200 or Mizuno JPX 900 series, or maybe even MP5 or TaylorMade 770, but I hit the Wilson Staff V6 twice and it is the winner. I just kept coming back to it. Bought a set with the DG AMT shafts. Looking forward to playing them. Love the look of these clubs and the more traditional lofts too. I don't have a distance problem and these are perfect gaps. Compact head, almost exactly the same as my MP 59s, and the soles are outstanding. That's a key for me. Will be cool to get out there with a new set of Wilson Staffs. These are very well-designed and playable clubs. Mid-handicappers,

do not fear the V6. Nice weight behind the impact area gives them a great feel. Mid bounce, more than Mizuno, less than Ping. I've got a test Ping i200 6 iron I had bought to assess the shaft before I bought the whole set. Then I hit the V6 and I knew.

The V6 is a great iron. I also tested multiple clubs but nothing felt like the V6's. I just picked up my new set yesterday. Got the matching PMP wedges to go with them

I had a set of WS irons back in the early 70's. A very nice set of blades. I knew some very good golfers who wanted to buy the set in the mid 80's. Never sold the set but retired the clubs in the late 80's and moved onto Ping Eye 2's. I'm glad Wilson survived and are producing respected clubs.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I'm going to run the SLDR set I just got this season, but next year I'll be going to a new set of forgings. I've tried and was very impressed with the 4's, but prefer the look of the 6's. Oddly, they'll be competing with two others that have been brought up in this thread - King Forged Tec and Srixon 565's - either way, I'll have beauties.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

Played Staffs from '85 to 2000 when they finally wore thin in the grooves.... bagged several Titleist sets since then. This thread got me back to wanting the chromed out Staff name in the bag again and I grabbed some V4's brand new on eBay for $300..... Golf is just starting to arrive here in NY and I'm looking forward to see what I can make these things do!!

New V4 set for $300 is a tremendous deal. Congrats. I bought V6 set that a guy played one round and didn't like -- if I put them next to a new set you could not tell them apart. Paid $700 for a set that is 1K new and I was happy with that. Even if I replace the 4 iron with an F5, no biggie. Staffs are world-class irons the world seems to have forgotten about due to the company wandering in the wilderness for 20 years. But the designer they brought over from Adams has done a great job of blending his eye with the Staff tradition and the V series is really strong. I mean, I was hitting these next to MP5s and I just loved the V6. It is also really great looking. I bet we'll start to see Staffs more often. I cannot remember the last time I encountered a golfer with Staffs in the bag. But that wiill be me this year and word-of-mouth is going to get more people interested in them. $300 for a new set of Staff V4s? How could you ever beat that?

I like to play a yellow ball and had played the Srixon XV, Srixon Q-star and Titleist NXT tour S before trying the Duo.

Love the soft feel of the Duo and while trying to play it side by side with a Pro V1 I saw it's just as long off the tee for me.

I can't spin my pitches into the green like I could the XV and NXT tour S but it stops fast enough to not make a big difference.

Only gripe is when chipping to a tight pin I would like more bite but at only 15 USD/dozen I'm willing to accept the shortcoming.

Now if W/S would make a yellow Duo Spin..... and this community could convince me it was worth the extra 7 bucks..... well.....

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

I like to play a yellow ball and had played the Srixon XV, Srixon Q-star and Titleist NXT tour S before trying the Duo.

Love the soft feel of the Duo and while trying to play it side by side with a Pro V1 I saw it's just as long off the tee for me.

I can't spin my pitches into the green like I could the XV and NXT tour S but it stops fast enough to not make a big difference.

Only gripe is when chipping to a tight pin I would like more bite but at only 15 USD/dozen I'm willing to accept the shortcoming.

Now if W/S would make a yellow Duo Spin..... and this community could convince me it was worth the extra 7 bucks..... well.....

Give a shot to the Fifty Elite. While it's no FG Tour :), the Fifty Elite has surprised me quite a bit with its ability to stop in the short game. And it's nearly as soft as the Duo.

At $12/doz with normal pricing, it's worth a shot, right?

Playing orange 50 Elites to start the season, so I may not be the most unbiased source.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Today i took the 100's out for their first game.

That impressed i may buy another set and put them away for later use.

Blades don't come any better than this, and i have only played blades all my life. I have hit CB, but never acquired a set.

The feel is beautiful. Used the Duo Urethane and had no issues with that ball. So that now replaces the Pro V1s.

Played in 30kmh wind, which was a good test for the ball and club, punch shots especially. The ball held its line nicely into the wind, and hitting the 100's you knew you are going to get a penetrating flight. Distance is what i have to work out with this set and once that is dialed in i'll be sweet. Around the greens and 100 and in, the ball held the greens just like i expected, no different to the V1's. Maybe checked a little quicker, but i'm playing the new PMP's and that could of been the reason.

If you're in the market for blades, buy the 100's, you will enjoy your game of golf.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

Give a shot to the Fifty Elite. While it's no FG Tour :), the Fifty Elite has surprised me quite a bit with its ability to stop in the short game. And it's nearly as soft as the Duo.

At $12/doz with normal pricing, it's worth a shot, right?

Playing orange 50 Elites to start the season, so I may not be the most unbiased source.

Both the Duo and the 50 Elite has the same ionomer cover, so I would have thought they would perform the same way on short shots. However if I can score a test sleeve somewhere I'll be sure to give them a try.

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

I got the tour pro treatment today as I went to a W/S demo to check the wedges.

I hit the V6 to warm up and I have to say the face felt quite hot. I didn't try them on Trackman as I wasn't going to buy them but comparing to the FG Tour 100s, the ball certainly seemed to take off faster. I demoed them with the DG AMT S300 and I have to say I still prefer the KBS Tour. Even though I was hitting the ball well, there was just something missing even from the 100s when I compare them to what they felt with KBS Tours or even the DG Pro.

Anyhoo, the V6 would certainly be a contender if I needed a new set of irons. As for the wedges the tour-grind on the 58* certainly made it easy to open the face etc. but considering the average conditions around here and what are usually the wise shot options, the wide-soled 59* was the winner for me.

The fun part was watching the club being built for me in the "Tour Van", if there's something wrong with the club, I only have myself to blame as we checked the grip alignment etc. when we the club was built. Unfortunately there wasn't much specialty built into it as I wanted the stock Hi-Rev shaft and two extra tapes under the Lamkin Gen 3 W/S grip (only to have the KBS sticker and the W/S text on the grip facing me, not those ugly dots). It's a much better experience than buying off the rack or waiting three weeks to get your clubs (and then see something's off).

Certainly a hero-worthy move by them!

Staff%20Tour%20Van_zps17fobf4q.png

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Hit the Staff V6s outside for the first time today. Vey nice. Lively face, playable and workable.i really love the compact head. Was making nice center contact and found I did not need a hard swing to hit rockets. Nothing not to like about these clubs. I was having fun hitting 3/4, 100 yard one hop and stop shots with the gap wedge. Range today, golf course tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting used to these irons.

Just picked up 50/54/58 PMP wedges - 50/54 with Traditional grind, 58 with Tour grind. After one range session I can already tell that these boys are going to be in the bag for a long time. Feel is phenomenal...better than any other wedges I've played. Whether that is down to the KBS shaft or the head design or a combination of both I can't quite tell. Looking forward to getting them on the course.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Well, Madison went with the 100's(4i-PW) for her irons over the Mizzy 4/5's(she actually liked the 4's better than the 5's).

She hit both the V4 and 6 3i and she liked the V4.

She going with Mizzy wedges, TBag driver, TE Pro 3m and one of my Tad Moore 1998 First Run Tour S Shorty putters(Pete gave me two of em and they blew the doors off of the Scotty Tel3).

Yep, Pete's definitely smiling, lol

And the Staff rep owes me some more hats, lol

I may not be in the game but I'm still pushin Staff, lmao

Have a great week Gents?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Well, Madison went with the 100's(4i-PW) for her irons over the Mizzy 4/5's(she actually liked the 4's better than the 5's).

She hit both the V4 and 6 3i and she liked the V4.

She going with Mizzy wedges, TBag driver, TE Pro 3m and one of my Tad Moore 1998 First Run Tour S Shorty putters(Pete gave me two of em and they blew the doors off of the Scotty Tel3).

Yep, Pete's definitely smiling, lol

And the Staff rep owes me some more hats, lol

I may not be in the game but I'm still pushin Staff, lmao

Have a great week Gents?

RP

Forged-

Hope you're doing well...

Glad that Madison got the chance to play the FG 100s....

NO ONE at Wilson will answer Why their Centennial Anniversary model iron is RH Only...

But it is! Might be Wilson just doesn't have an answer.

Sounds like they hit the Co$t Default button again.

And look at all these RH people getting Wilson FG stuff.... Even saying "give 'em a try..."

Sorry....Still Zero...

Guess we'll just have to make our own..

Haven't hit the FG Tour Blade yet. But everything I have read and heard I am interested in hitting some. As balls go I play the Duo and Duo Urethane most of the time(they are really nice balls for my game) with an occasional Titleist Trusoft if I find a deal on a dozen. My equipment is always used but the FG Tour Blades compel me to at least hit some demos. They are beautiful Irons.

• 2 months later...

American Golf in the UK are still selling the d100 irons for £199 with custom fitting....I mean that's a fantastic deal as they are clearing out for the new 2017 range. I'm still playing my eye2s but I'm finding this year that the shafts and lack of distance have caught up with me.

But for that price and a trade in, it's too good to turn down I think

I played Wilson's for years and still have them as a spare. When I go to a big box store, Wilson staff irons are usually the ones I pick up. They are an excellent value...

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Does anybody like that Triton Driver? All I've seen is bad feedback? Crazy how much money they dumped into that show/product and the end result was potentially worse than just engineering one in house...

Madison thought that it was horrid, lol

"Tinny" feel

They tried to give her one and she thanked em though she didn't take it cuz she'd never hit it and told em to give it to someone else.

That's one of the differences tween her and me as I'd take it, rationalize that I might one day hit, throw it in some closet and then have her or Ava find it five years later, lol

Bein a hoarder sorta sucks?

Stay well my Friends?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24