Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My rep emailed the shaft info to me while I was making my decision on my V6 irons.

The spec info is copied from another thread that a member received via a tweet from his rep.

My rep is in the home office in Chicago and is well aware of what we have been discussing. I actually invited him to join in the conversation. We'll see.

He did appreciate the feedback. I believe he is talking with the member above ( Jordan S ) to answer any questions he has. I sent him my reps info after I read his post above via pm and he said he would make contact.

Hope the info has helped you.

I did have a pleasant conversation with Mike. Thank you for that. He seems like a committed fellow who wants to get things right at Wilson Golf. He assured me that they're all very serious about what they're doing and actually seemed to take it personally that I thought they weren't. That by itself is a good sign. I take his word for it but, in 2017, it's a pretty big fail not to have any useful information about your marquee product on its own web page. It doesn't even say what kind of shaft and grip comes as the only stock option. There are no stock "options", only custom upgrades with upcharges, but how would you know? They're selling a high end players iron in their V6. What player do you know that isn't interested in the shafts and grips on their irons? Sadly, that's too much trouble for lots of buyers who'd rather see more evidence of that commitment. It's hard to imagine that nobody in the company thought that might be a good idea. This is a great club. I've hit them and like them a lot but I don't want to buy them and spend the next month working on them to get them "right" when I can start out that way with a Mizuno or Ping, for instance. People like to be confident about a company when they're forking over a grand for something...just the way it is. I'll end up with a set of V6's eventually, just probably not this year. I'll probably wait until I can find a set of heads.

Very Nicely put!!

I've been saying for years that the Irons, from the C & D series to the FG Tours and FG blades can match up with any iron out there, though I can only use Mizzy as a barometer and those 59's are finer than any Mizzy Blade that I Played from 1987 on, including the 87's(grossly overrated in my view), 33's and 68's, all that I bagged, with only the 14's being on par with them.

Their troops on the ground are great guys and give it all that they've got-

Their senior management is a joke-

I'm not going to go into a rant here as I've said it before all over the board however they should thank whatever God that they believe in that they were left such a legacy as the Staff FG blade because if it was anything short of the Iconic iron with the lineage that it has, there would be no Staff if based solely off of their performance.

My saying for years has been that they could screw up a you know what but they can't screw up a Staff blade-

Seriously ;)

Excellent post Bro!!

Do give em a try some day and if any of you wanna hit a blade that'll go toe to toe with Mizzy 4's or 5's, hit the 100's-

If you wanna hit a blade that will make you weep in ecstasy when ya flush one, find yourself a set of 59's!!

And for God sakes, I realize that money's tight, however please give Rex and the southpaws some friggin clubs!!

Oh, and if any of you bag a heel shafted blade, the '14 8802 is a phenomenal putter. I like it much better than any of my Napas, with the only modern blade close being the Cally Black Series Tour Design #8. I really liked the YES Callie however this 8802 has a nice "pop" off the face, and I'd take it over anything I've got cept for my Staff 8843 and possibly my Mac Ironmaster Model 600.

As always, this is just my .03 worth?

Thank you very much RF for all of the specs!!

Stay well Gals & Gents?

My Best?

RP

Thanks!...great to know that about the 59's. I've got a mint set of '88 Fluid Feels and a set of FG-17 Tour Blades (along with '71 Haigs) that I play once in a while and I love them all. If you say that the 59's are that much better, the next treasure hunt is on soon. Right now though, I'm stoked about my new V6's. We'll see how they work out soon. I hope you're a free man again, out of the hospital, and hoping you're getting near the end this round, and feeling a little better.

Love my FG59's.

As much as I try to replace them (I try every new iron out there!) haven't found anything that I hit better and enjoy more

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Anyone ever tried the 8802 Milled? I'm looking into blade putters and this has come up as an option in my search. I just haven't found one in person to play with yet.

fray-

Please see Forged's 8802 Milled photos earlier in the thread... the one next to the original one Arnold Palmer signed..

Forged-

The only way to screw up a Wilson Staff model iron....

FG TOUR 100 Forged model....RH Only.

Code- zero, zero, zero...Destruct...Zero.

My rep emailed the shaft info to me while I was making my decision on my V6 irons.

The spec info is copied from another thread that a member received via a tweet from his rep.

My rep is in the home office in Chicago and is well aware of what we have been discussing. I actually invited him to join in the conversation. We'll see.

He did appreciate the feedback. I believe he is talking with the member above ( Jordan S ) to answer any questions he has. I sent him my reps info after I read his post above via pm and he said he would make contact.

I did have a pleasant conversation with Mike. Thank you for that. He seems like a committed fellow who wants to get things right at Wilson Golf. He assured me that they're all very serious about what they're doing and actually seemed to take it personally that I thought they weren't. That by itself is a good sign. I take his word for it but, in 2017, it's a pretty big fail not to have any useful information about your marquee product on its own web page. It doesn't even say what kind of shaft and grip comes as the only stock option. There are no stock "options", only custom upgrades with upcharges, but how would you know? They're selling a high end players iron in their V6. What player do you know that isn't interested in the shafts and grips on their irons? Sadly, that's too much trouble for lots of buyers who'd rather see more evidence of that commitment. It's hard to imagine that nobody in the company thought that might be a good idea. This is a great club. I've hit them and like them a lot but I don't want to buy them and spend the next month working on them to get them "right" when I can start out that way with a Mizuno or Ping, for instance. People like to be confident about a company when they're forking over a grand for something...just the way it is. I'll end up with a set of V6's eventually, just probably not this year. I'll probably wait until I can find a set of heads.

Very Nicely put!!

I've been saying for years that the Irons, from the C & D series to the FG Tours and FG blades can match up with any iron out there, though I can only use Mizzy as a barometer and those 59's are finer than any Mizzy Blade that I Played from 1987 on, including the 87's(grossly overrated in my view), 33's and 68's, all that I bagged, with only the 14's being on par with them.

I'm not going to go into a rant here as I've said it before all over the board however they should thank whatever God that they believe in that they were left such a legacy as the Staff FG blade because if it was anything short of the Iconic iron with the lineage that it has, there would be no Staff if based solely off of their performance.

My saying for years has been that they could screw up a you know what but they can't screw up a Staff blade-

Seriously ;)

Excellent post Bro!!

Do give em a try some day and if any of you wanna hit a blade that'll go toe to toe with Mizzy 4's or 5's, hit the 100's-

If you wanna hit a blade that will make you weep in ecstasy when ya flush one, find yourself a set of 59's!!

And for God sakes, I realize that money's tight, however please give Rex and the southpaws some friggin clubs!!

Oh, and if any of you bag a heel shafted blade, the '14 8802 is a phenomenal putter. I like it much better than any of my Napas, with the only modern blade close being the Cally Black Series Tour Design #8. I really liked the YES Callie however this 8802 has a nice "pop" off the face, and I'd take it over anything I've got cept for my Staff 8843 and possibly my Mac Ironmaster Model 600.

As always, this is just my .03 worth?

Stay well Gals & Gents?

My Best?

RP

Thanks!...great to know that about the 59's. I've got a mint set of '88 Fluid Feels and a set of FG-17 Tour Blades (along with '71 Haigs) that I play once in a while and I love them all. If you say that the 59's are that much better, the next treasure hunt is on soon. Right now though, I'm stoked about my new V6's. We'll see how they work out soon. I hope you're a free man again, out of the hospital, and hoping you're getting near the end this round, and feeling a little better.

The 17s for me, are as good as any blade I've ever hit! Will NEVER let mine go anywhere!

They look good but they have no presence here in Indonesia, have to bring them in from outside.

a couple stores in Singapore stock them

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I still have a set of Wilson Staff blades in the basement and get them out from time to time. It's the set that was just before they used the FG-17 stamp. Same head it's just that FG-17s have a little ground off the back lower side. To me they are some of the most graceful iron heads ever made soft rounded perfect lines really works of an artist.

I think head to head they would stand up to most modern "real blades".

Some clubs made today that are called "blades" are great clubs to be sure but not a blade to me. Blades don't have a cavity or scooped out back and no undercut fulled with plastic. Not putting down iblades at all wonderful clubs but I think a blade is a solid metal club. I used the Staff irons for years and they are still in great shape. They sting when mishit and feel like......butter? When hit well with a great ball flight. I went away from Wilson for many years like most of us when they lost their way.

The FG Tours brought me back when I first started seeing good reviews on them then I tried the FG Tour V2s and bought a set.

It made me fell good to have a set of Wilson irons in the bag again. One because of the classic name and great history and because of how I remember my Staff blades.

Their iron line is very good I really want to try the new V6 irons. I wish they didn't feel like they had to make the V6 logo so large on the back of the head it screws up what was a very clean design it just jumps out at me and looks slapped on. They didn't need that it doesn't

look like a V4. Every thing else I like my one complaint about the V2s is how they go through the turf you must be very clean when you pick the ball and they are problematic on the rough. You really have to be very firm with your grip or they will twist.

I'm not too sure about their drivers and fairway woods yet. I don't think Driver v Driver produced a great driver.Some of the ideas were so stupid it was a bad look to see them even talking about them on TV. I think they should go the Ping route with their drivers and fairways.

Solid designs that work well and less bells and whistles.Here is our driver for most golfers, here is a driver for slicers and here is a driver for people that need lower spin. Tracks and weights put weight where it is not doing the most good and many people don't know how to adjust them. I don't know how many designers they brought over from Adams Golf but it shows up in their clubs.

They are making some very good equipment that should be looked at when getting new clubs.

Very Nicely put!!

Seriously ;)

Excellent post Bro!!

As always, this is just my .03 worth

Stay well Gals & Gents

My Best

RP

The 17s for me, are as good as any blade I've ever hit! Will NEVER let mine go anywhere!

Though I have a set of FG-17s (that I play), I was distracted by Ping during that time, like lots of people but someone must have been buying the shite out of those things because, as anyone who's ever looked for a set on eBay knows, they are EVERYWHERE. Seems like everyone's got a set. We could use em for landfill, but they're still too good for that. Now, after Richard's glowing reviews, I'm on the lookout for a set of 59's.

I never had much of a history with the baldes/irons, mostly Ping Eye2s, Zings and the like, had a set of TA 845s for about a minute before they were stolen outta my car...

but what i DID have a history with, is that 8802... until IT was stolen outta my bag at Walnut Hill CC in Dallas TX in 1996. It was 'The Willson 8802' similar if not the same to Richard's in the photo signed by The King. It was my step-mom's, who got me into the game when I was 13 or so... so I had it for about 10 years...

Since then, a buddy a couple years ago was hitting the D100 rescue/hybrids, and I FELL IN LOVE... the 22*/4h is the only club left in the bag over two years of turnover. Such an easy club to hit, you can work it in to out and back, cut, lag it for punch outs. EXCEPTIONAL club...

I went looking for putters, and after a long experiment have found a love for heel-shafted mid-mallets... enter the 8883.

IT. IS. BUTTER.

Only problem is the one I have is 34" and I rather play 35" or 36" with a midsize pistol... I still take it out, but the back will be that slight bit more sore, and I kinda lose sight a bit, and start pulling them left...

sad really... SO IF ANYONE has 35" WilsonStaff 8883 laying around, I'll pay you handsomely for it!

Sun Mountain 2017 4.5 LS 4-way Stand Bag

PING Anser 11°, Graphite Design Tour AD Black Di-6-X

Titleist 915Fd 15° 3W, Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S

Wilson/Staff D-100 19° 3H, Matrix Ozik Altus 5.6-S

Adams Idea Black CB2 4-PW, KBS Tour 90-S

Nike VR Pro X3X 52/10 & 58/10, DG S400

Edel E-1

I still have a set of Wilson Staff blades in the basement and get them out from time to time. It's the set that was just before they used the FG-17 stamp. Same head it's just that FG-17s have a little ground off the back lower side. To me they are some of the most graceful iron heads ever made soft rounded perfect lines really works of an artist.

Some clubs made today that are called "blades" are great clubs to be sure but not a blade to me. Blades don't have a cavity or scooped out back and no undercut fulled with plastic. Not putting down iblades at all wonderful clubs but I think a blade is a solid metal club. I used the Staff irons for years and they are still in great shape. They sting when mishit and feel like......butter? When hit well with a great ball flight. I went away from Wilson for many years like most of us when they lost their way.

The FG Tours brought me back when I first started seeing good reviews on them then I tried the FG Tour V2s and bought a set.

It made me fell good to have a set of Wilson irons in the bag again. One because of the classic name and great history and because of how I remember my Staff blades.

Their iron line is very good I really want to try the new V6 irons. I wish they didn't feel like they had to make the V6 logo so large on the back of the head it screws up what was a very clean design it just jumps out at me and looks slapped on. They didn't need that it doesn't

look like a V4. Every thing else I like my one complaint about the V2s is how they go through the turf you must be very clean when you pick the ball and they are problematic on the rough. You really have to be very firm with your grip or they will twist.

I'm not too sure about their drivers and fairway woods yet. I don't think Driver v Driver produced a great driver.Some of the ideas were so stupid it was a bad look to see them even talking about them on TV. I think they should go the Ping route with their drivers and fairways.

Solid designs that work well and less bells and whistles.Here is our driver for most golfers, here is a driver for slicers and here is a driver for people that need lower spin. Tracks and weights put weight where it is not doing the most good and many people don't know how to adjust them. I don't know how many designers they brought over from Adams Golf but it shows up in their clubs.

They are making some very good equipment that should be looked at when getting new clubs.

Hey Thomas, nice post!!

If they preceded the 17's, which were introduced in 1981, then they were the Tour Blades, which ran from 1976-1980 and are the second irons down in my pictures. This are the irons that the Fg-59's were patterned after and if ya compare em in the pictures, they very closely resemble each other.

The Tour Blades(1978) were my favorite Staff iron until the 59's. I tried the 17's however they didn't touch the Tour Blades(even though the 17's had "Tour Blade" stamped on em, there was is and will only be ONE Tour Blade, lol) and I put the TB's back in the bag and there they stayed until 1987 when I switched to Mizzy.

The Tour Blades were Sam's fave All-Time Staff blade though his Bro Pete was partial to the Button Backs(1971).

I couldn't agree more on the iron back of the V6's. I just think that it cheapens an amazing iron.

Thanks for posting!!

Stay well my Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I got fot for my first ever set of irons 6 months ago

Ended up loving the Wilson V6 with stiff KBS shafts

They are butter and really great looking club

I loved the Callaway apex pros also but with price included the Wilsons were the choice!

Also have the FG PMP wedges can't complain at all they perform wel

Awful website. Shaft options? After "getting fit", one-third of the recommended clubs aren't available in LH. See ya. Actually, Ping and Titleist are the only real options to have all options on the table at a fitting.

LH availability is bad for every OEM. Ping included

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

+1...I could've written that...

As soon as mine arrive I'll be getting out the stripper to remove that big "V6" on the back....maybe along with everything else on the back. I'll take it one step at a time and will post photos.

+1...I could've written that...

As soon as mine arrive I'll be getting out the stripper to remove that big "V6" on the back....maybe along with everything else on the back. I'll take it one step at a time and will post photos.

Would love to see this don't have the balls to have a crack myself

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_WILSON.pdf

Anybody wanna chime in on the rating for the V6? Seems incredibly low

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

https://www.golfwork.../MPF_WILSON.pdf

That is super low. The F5 is even lower? The 1980 Tour Blade is rated at 400+ compared to the V6 at just over 200? I don't put too much stock in those MPF ratings. It's a decent piece of information, but just like any golf equipment it always comes down to whether or not it fits a person's individual swing characteristics.

I've read reviews on the V6 saying 15 handicap and below, while others consider it a "players iron", what are the thoughts of those using it? It is like a JPX 900 Tour, looks like a CB but plays like a blade? More like an AP2? Strange the Fg100 is listed as twice as forgiving as the V6

Awful website. Shaft options? After "getting fit", one-third of the recommended clubs aren't available in LH. See ya. Actually, Ping and Titleist are the only real options to have all options on the table at a fitting.

LH availability is bad for every OEM. Ping included

What in the world are you talking about? There isn't anything that Ping makes that they don't make for lefties also.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I've read reviews on the V6 saying 15 handicap and below, while others consider it a "players iron", what are the thoughts of those using it? It is like a JPX 900 Tour, looks like a CB but plays like a blade? More like an AP2? Strange the Fg100 is listed as twice as forgiving as the V6

Though people use it as such, and the terms GolfWorks use hint at this, MPF isn't really a measure of forgiveness. It's really just a measure of how closely a given design conforms to a concept Ralph Maltby believes is important in iron design: having the center of gravity low and horizontally as close to the center of the clubface as is possible. The farther the CG is from the hosel centerline, the higher the MPF score.

That's about all it really is.

The two big players in MPF could be said to be the C Dimension (C Dim) and vertical CG (VCOG). C Dimension measures how far from the hosel centerline the CG is. The V6 C Dim is 1.108, and the vertical CG is .877, so it scores lower than the FG-100, with a C Dim of 1.205 and a VCOG of .828.

FWIW, the diameter of a golfball is .84", anything above this gets demerits in MPF.

MPF doesn't account for sole design at all, such as I'm aware anyway, which is something worthy of note in looking at the overall playability of an iron.

In terms of measuring actual forgiveness, you'd probably be better served looking at the MOI measurement, though I would say that's not necessarily something to run with on its own. :)

A couple random thoughts while the caffeine kicks in.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Appreciate it, lots of info there. I am a guy that hits the ball more towards the heel than dead center anyways, so probably a good thing.

The marketing material makes it sound like these are TMB like in long irons, AP2 like in mid irons and CB like in short irons. Marketing hype or legit?

I have a set of V5s and they are a rocking club. Only to be complemented with KBS stiff 120 stepped. I love mine but, I've been playing around with JPX 900 tours at my local shop. I think I just need to jump on those and give myself and early bday gift. We will see how the MP18s do first.

Wilson is an incredible brand. I'm religious to them in baseball as well as my irons. I've used their Duo Us as well and I think that is easily one of the best balls on the market. They just bite the ground as much as any premium ball out there.

That is super low. The F5 is even lower? The 1980 Tour Blade is rated at 400+ compared to the V6 at just over 200? I don't put too much stock in those MPF ratings. It's a decent piece of information, but just like any golf equipment it always comes down to whether or not it fits a person's individual swing characteristics.

I am not that familiar with the MPF however I was under the impression that the higher the MPF, supposedly the more forgiving the iron.

Is this in fact correct?

If so, I was stunned to see exactly what you spoke of with the F5's being at 200 and the V6's being 224 when the F5's were designed as a Player's "bridge" iron taking one from say, the "C" or "D" series to either the V4's, V6's or their 100 blades, basically providing a "bridge" to a true Player's CB or MB.

HowITH can they be at 200 with the V6's at 224?????

And the 100's more forgiving than the V6's, and over twice the F5's???????

Those are serious blades, I'm talkin MP-4 type blades, as in they are knives, old school knives

If I read it wrong, apologies

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I am not that familiar with the MPF however I was under the impression that the higher the MPF, supposedly the more forgiving the iron.

Is this in fact correct?

If so, I was stunned to see exactly what you spoke of with the F5's being at 200 and the V6's being 224 when the F5's were designed as a Player's "bridge" iron taking one from say, the "C" or "D" series to either the V4's, V6's or their 100 blades, basically providing a "bridge" to a true Player's CB or MB.

HowITH can they be at 200 with the V6's at 224???

And the 100's more forgiving than the V6's, and over twice the F5's???????

Those are serious blades, I'm talkin MP-4 type blades, as in they are knives, old school knives

If I read it wrong, apologies

My Best,

RP

You got it right RP! Crazy isn't it?

I'm not sure that they could have done much better with the graphics. It sure wouldn't have looked any better left blank but I think that with the plain embossed "V6" without any paint fill will be better. I worked on it with Photoshop a little and I don't like it any better with the V6 gone. I'll update as soon as I get them in hand. Trouble is that the trim plate on the back is done in raised bas relief instead of the usual stamped relief that you can paint fill, or not. These are really tough to do well without the masking film. Once the paint's gone, it's best left gone cuz it's never again going to look good painted. I'll have my fingers crossed....

I would take no notice of that spec sheet.

Hit one out of the toe of the F100's and you'll wish you held on to the club tighter.

Hit one out of the toe on the V6 and you'll smile because you know you just escaped disaster.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.