2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

Funny that they've made great stuff for years, and people ignored them. But once the vaunted Rick Shiels shills them, everybody's on board. :rolleyes:

I think that definitely has something to do with it. It doesn't hurt that the price point is slightly less than other companies at $1000.

Taylormade P-770s and Callaway Apex Pros are $1,200 (4-AW), PXG and Hogans were more than that too.

It seems like just recently I'm seeing their fitting carts and presence in the stores around me. For the longest time, Wilson wasn't even carried on the floor.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the lack of info on the website. Really sad Wilson Staff. Also, no customization really available like shafts. That's a drawback too.

THey have shaft options on the webpage. They just don't offer them free, but they are charging less than the other OEMS. after you order the clubs custom, they end up as being around the same price as the OEMs that have "free" shaft upgrades

Forever Changing at this point.......

I know that the 2017 FG Tour blades are very nice. I hit some demo's last week and the feel was incredible.

what new blades? are you referring to the 100s? those came out like 3 or 4 years ago. If you are not, please spill what you know about a new blade form them haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

Very valid concerns! They also aren't easy to deal with as a retailer when special orders are needed. I would recommend pulling the heads and getting them reshafted yourself if you want to get something custom done to the irons. Someone chime in if they've had a decent experience with custom orders from W/S.

It's good to hear that they are easy to work with, they've obviously got a solid design team and have had for years as the v2, v4 irons, etc. have had strong advocates on here. I don't have a home club - I'd bet that if I wanted to take the plunge I'd have to buy them after a limited test at a big box or really push a clubmaker to fit me into them- if they even had them to try. I'm inclined to give the v6s a shot, but the lack of information probably means I'll only do that if the effort expended is minimal- I happen upon a demo day, I'm getting fitted and they have the clubs, etc.

I second the lack of info on the website. Really sad Wilson Staff. Also, no customization really available like shafts. That's a drawback too.

THey have shaft options on the webpage. They just don't offer them free, but they are charging less than the other OEMS. after you order the clubs custom, they end up as being around the same price as the OEMs that have "free" shaft upgrades

Ah, the power of marketing and "free" things.

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

Very valid concerns! They also aren't easy to deal with as a retailer when special orders are needed. I would recommend pulling the heads and getting them reshafted yourself if you want to get something custom done to the irons. Someone chime in if they've had a decent experience with custom orders from W/S.

It's good to hear that they are easy to work with, they've obviously got a solid design team and have had for years as the v2, v4 irons, etc. have had strong advocates on here. I don't have a home club - I'd bet that if I wanted to take the plunge I'd have to buy them after a limited test at a big box or really push a clubmaker to fit me into them- if they even had them to try. I'm inclined to give the v6s a shot, but the lack of information probably means I'll only do that if the effort expended is minimal- I happen upon a demo day, I'm getting fitted and they have the clubs, etc.

Um I think you misread my post. I said they AREN'T easy to deal with for custom orders.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Um I think you misread my post. I said they AREN'T easy to deal with for custom orders.

Ha! Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Reading comprehension fail, another reason to not go out of the way to play the irons.

..edit for clarity

I wish they would make one of their C series irons more along the lines of the FG Tour V series. I could do without the slots and some of the other "visible tech"

The older generation M3 irons and the current generation replacement F5 irons are what you may be looking for:

http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/wilsonfgtourm3-irons/100235010806.jsp?gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZ1uPRxUF2mH5gh3OqH5OfOW8Y0StMkRf3rdDjsl7Zn8aAgCh8P8HAQ

http://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/wilson-fg-tour-f5-irons-steel/1000000006242.jsp?gclid=Cj0KEQjw76jGBRDm1K-X_LnrmuEBEiQA8RXYZ3p9dzdluwkay1UCWBXV5i9_XrvbmyY50KtvvYY_TWIaAup48P8HAQ

I wish they would make one of their C series irons more along the lines of the FG Tour V series. I could do without the slots and some of the other "visible tech"

The older generation M3 irons and the current generation replacement F5 irons are what you may be looking for:

http://www.pgatoursu...7Zn8aAgCh8P8HAQ

http://www.pgatoursu..._TWIaAup48P8HAQ

Thanks but I meant their cast models, not forged. Should have been more clear about that.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I have been playing the FG62s (awesome) since they came out and looking at the V6 now to upgrade Gold rated Players iron by Golf Digest (this year). I play DG S300, but woild like to get the KBS C-Taper in the V6 if i go that route. Agree on the website, but called the company yesterday, they will give you options, but there is an upcharge depending on you preference.

On another note, I grabbed a Wilson putter off the rack at the PGA Superstore after looking at irons,,,,,,,,,,, rollled it 3 times making 2 of the 3 from 30 feet, or the farthest hole. i had to buy ($99) the putter even though i have custom putters, never heard of it, Southside Infinity. Hoping to test this weekend.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

I am actually testing a set of V5 tours against the Ping i25's I've been playing for years. The good shots are lasers, but my miss is a fat shot, which I don't really have with the more helpful sole of the i25's. Maybe just a little too much club for me, but I think they are nice looking clubs and I'm going to keep trying them. I love how they set up to the ball.

http://www.pgatoursu...7Zn8aAgCh8P8HAQ

http://www.pgatoursu..._TWIaAup48P8HAQ

Thanks but I meant their cast models, not forged. Should have been more clear about that.

Find a set of Ci6s for next to nothing. The cavities will probably look terrible due to wear but otherwise they're very good clubs and look good without any of the gimmicky stuff.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

I went thru our local rep and he was easily pleasing to deal with. Got oversized grips that were an upcharge at NO upcharge! Not a lot to some but to me it meant something! He's never let us down!!

I have been playing the FG62s (awesome) since they came out and looking at the V6 now to upgrade Gold rated Players iron by Golf Digest (this year). I play DG S300, but woild like to get the KBS C-Taper in the V6 if i go that route. Agree on the website, but called the company yesterday, they will give you options, but there is an upcharge depending on you preference.

On another note, I grabbed a wilson putter off the rack at th PGA Superstore after looking at irons,,,,,,,,,,, rollled it 3 times making 2 of the 3 from 30 feet, or the farthest hole. i had to buy ($99) the putter even though i have custom putters, never heard of it, Southside Infinity. Hoping to test this weekend.

The new models of putters this year are awesome as well!

On another note, I grabbed a wilson putter off the rack at th PGA Superstore after looking at irons,,,,,,,,,,, rollled it 3 times making 2 of the 3 from 30 feet, or the farthest hole. i had to buy ($99) the putter even though i have custom putters, never heard of it, Southside Infinity. Hoping to test this weekend.

What new model putters are you referring to? The infinite line has been out a few yrs. now. Just curious.

15 hcp

On another note, I grabbed a Wilson putter off the rack at the PGA Superstore after looking at irons,,,,,,,,,,, rollled it 3 times making 2 of the 3 from 30 feet, or the farthest hole. i had to buy ($99) the putter even though i have custom putters, never heard of it, Southside Infinity. Hoping to test this weekend.

I just grabbed one of those myself today with a GG gift card I had from Xmas that I hadn't used yet.

I had more than 20 shafts to pick from...it was a personalised fitting from the Wilson rep, not in store.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I went thru our local rep and he was easily pleasing to deal with. Got oversized grips that were an upcharge at NO upcharge! Not a lot to some but to me it meant something! He's never let us down!!

I am speaking from the perspective of a retailer. Plus, oversized grips wouldn't count as a custom order. I'm talking placing orders for non-stock shafts and loft and lie angle adjustments.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Purchased the Wilson C100 irons last summer. Got a got a sweet deal online $300 for new 4-GW. Really happy with the look, feel, and performance of these. Playing the regular flex steel shaft.

Next purchase could be some Wilson wedges. Need a new 52 degree. Wondering if their Harmonized series is good enough for me at $35 per club or should I go for their tour type which is more like $100 per club.

The Harmonized is fine, but the FG Tour is miles ahead. My dad has a Harmonized 60* and I hit it a couple of times and the feel is pretty hard. Doesnt spin as much as the FG Tour (dont have the milled face texture)

You should be able to find a used FG Tour wedge in good shape for $30 all day long. I would do that in a minute before a new Harmonized.

http://www.ebay.com/...vcAAOSw32lYybXx

I was looking at this putter online. The one Harrington won with. ☺

Wouldn't mind a gently used wedge or putter. Would prefer the black finish to match the irons, but for the price I would take it. ?

I was looking at this putter online. The one Harrington won with. ☺

Wouldn't mind a gently used wedge or putter. Would prefer the black finish to match the irons, but for the price I would take it. ?

http://www.ebay.com/...KMAAOSw2gxYu2RO

I am sick of saying it (lol) - the Wilson Staff FG Tour golf ball is the most under rated premium golf ball out there. If I was in the market for irons the FG Tour V6 would be in my bag.

Agree 100% with your assessment of the FG Tour balls. My favorite ball, hands down. Much preferred over any other so called premium ball. Distance, spin, feel seemingly perfect. And a incredible bargain with prudent shopping on past versions. The other nice feature, don't have to bother marking them. No one plays Wilson balls in my golfing circle. Duo's pretty nice ball as well. My cold weather ball.

I picked up four dozen FG Tours during the offseason. Budget Golf has the 2016 model, sometimes on sale for about $24-25/dozen. Really excellent ball. Crazy good around the greens.

If the ball dances on a 55 yd pitch shot with a MacGregor Muirfield PW, it's a good one. :)

Even the 50 Elite deserves some mention. I bought it for fall golf a couple years ago and have been shocked at its performance, in spite of it seemingly not being a good fit for my game. The greenside spin, while not in the FG Tour class, has been surprisingly decent.

The only complaint I'd had about the FG Tour over the last several years was its wind performance. It seemed to be more affected by side winds than other balls I'd played. I found the 2016 version of the ball to be considerably improved over its predecessors in this regard.

I'd tried the Chrome Soft last year. Maybe I'm just being a Wilson Staff Fanboi, but IMHO the FG Tour is the ball the Chrome Soft wishes it was.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

A few weeks ago I hit, and then picked up the forged F5 irons (4-GW) can't wait for the weather to break here in the midwest. Its my first set of new irons in 15 years!!!

Currently ITB

[u]Irons[/u]
- Wilson Staff F5 4-G
[u]Wedges[/u]
- Vokey 52 deg
- Fourteen 56 deg
- Mizuno 60 deg
[u]Fairway[/u]
- Callaway XR 3
[u]Driver[/u]
- Cobra King LTD Black
[u]Putter[/u]
- Bobby Grace "The Snyper"

I am sick of saying it (lol) - the Wilson Staff FG Tour golf ball is the most under rated premium golf ball out there. If I was in the market for irons the FG Tour V6 would be in my bag.

I was not in the market, I still love my FG tour V4's... but I bought the V6's anyway. I hated the utility 4i and wanted a set 4i. Also with these I really like the set gap wedge. And I needed new grips soooo, in my mind rather than buying 2 clubs and all new grips I would rather just order a new set. It's a stretch but we all justify things our own way.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

What new model putters are you referring to? The infinite line has been out a few yrs. now. Just curious.

They released a new arm lock #7 style & a bigger mallet called The Bean this year.

Rick Shiels says the FG Tour V6 are the best irons he's hit so far. I wouldn't really say they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum anymore since they run around the $800 mark if not more but they're certainly not the most expensive.

The V6 irons are $800+ but I just bought the V4 irons earlier this month for less than half that price. In case price is important to anyone else reading the forum, I strongly suggest looking at the V4's. I tell everyone I know that Wilson has been making some of the best irons on the market for 5+ years. For literally $300 or $400 you can find a brand new set of V4's online. It's such a good value I feel like I stole something.

I haven't played a ball other than the Z-Star XV in many years. The feedback here makes me want to give the FG Tour a run...

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

I haven't played a ball other than the Z-Star XV in many years. The feedback here makes me want to give the FG Tour a run...

If a reason you're playing the XV is due to the spin of the "regular" ZStar being a bit much for your game, the FG Tour may not be a good fit for you. It will probably spin more than the ZStar XV.

Side note: No disdain for Srixon here; I have used, and well liked, the ZStar XV in the past. Have a dozen lying in wait in my ball stash :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors