2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

The FG Tour irons rock. Do any of yall remember the Adams Idea Tech A4 Forged irons or the Adams Redline irons? That rounded sole was so good at turf interaction and preventing digging. Wilson brought one of the Adams guys responsible for that sole design over to Wilson Staff a few years ago. You can see the resemblance in the V4 and V6 irons, as well as the F5 irons. Turf interaction is so outstanding in those models and it's not a coincidence that the rounded sole popped up out of nowhere for the Wilson forged models. Keep 'em coming, Wilson Staff!

Srixon Z 545 9.5* w/Aldila Tour Blue 65X
Ping G25 15* w/VTS Silver 7X
Ping G25 17* w/VTS Black 85HX
Wilson FG Tour V4 3-P w/Modus3 Tour 130S
FG Tour TC 52, 58 w/DG S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14
WITB Link

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HaHa, great pic BH :) Richard asked me to post his as he cannot post pictures for some reason. He actually had 3-4 of the Mendrellas as it was his favorite Staff putter behind his actual 8802. The black one is one that he had customized and was in his bag in the first part of 2012 but he put the 8802 in in July and Played that through the end of the season and his recently acquired current 8802 edition with the double milled face which he loves, lol. Though not a Staff putter, this Cleveland Crenshaw was one of the first run blades produced and is a forged model versus the following releases were not. It has a great feel also and is actually my favorite of all of his 8802 style putters. In fact, the Cleveland model was in Ben's bag for his improbable 1995 Masters win due to his 8802's shaft fracturing at the beginning of that Masters week. Have a nice day Guys :) Maddie

The FG Tour irons rock. Do any of yall remember the Adams Idea Tech A4 Forged irons or the Adams Redline irons? That rounded sole was so good at turf interaction and preventing digging. Wilson brought one of the Adams guys responsible for that sole design over to Wilson Staff a few years ago. You can see the resemblance in the V4 and V6 irons, as well as the F5 irons. Turf interaction is so outstanding in those models and it's not a coincidence that the rounded sole popped up out of nowhere for the Wilson forged models. Keep 'em coming, Wilson Staff!

I think that those forged A4 irons are one of the finest irons released in the last 1015 years, period. That was an incredible iron. The Staff rep is bringing over a 100 Tour 6i and 9i along with a V6 6i & 9i with the Nippon NS Pro Modus for me to hit later this week. I currently Play the VR blades with the Pocket CB in 3&4i and am looking at either going back to Titleist or Staff. I will keep my Nike apparel contract which is fantastic because of their generosity regarding a staffer's family. I'm excited to hit the Staff blade :) Madison

I think that those forged A4 irons are one of the finest irons released in the last 1015 years, period. That was an incredible iron. The Staff rep is bringing over a 100 Tour 6i and 9i along with a V6 6i & 9i with the Nippon NS Pro Modus for me to hit later this week. I currently Play the VR blades with the Pocket CB in 3&4i and am looking at either going back to Titleist or Staff. I will keep my Nike apparel contract which is fantastic because of their generosity regarding a staffer's family. I'm excited to hit the Staff blade :) Madison

Crossfield enjoyed hitting them:

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Crossfield enjoyed hitting them:

Crossfield reminds me of Mtl. He can play anything.

Agree with the above posts about the poor website. The only site worse than the Wilson site is their mobile site! That site is absolutely horrible. Their VP of marketing needs to get on it. The club pictures look like the "pictures" in the Wall St Journal!

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

Still better than TM or Nike (when they still used to make golf Equipment)

I agree that Nike didn't have the best information for their clubs, but Wilson is definitely not better than Nike was when it comes to golf equipment info. Not even close.

If you're referring to website info, Wilson is/was better than Nike. Nike was the worst by far for golf equipment info. You couldn't even find specs on Nike stuff on their own site ! Lol !

Disregard last post, I can't find specs on Wilson site either.. You are correct sir ! Their site does suck !

how are yall not seeing specs? its right below the pictures?

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/feel/wilson-staff-fg-tour-100-irons-right-steel-s

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/irons/crossover/staff-c200-irons-steel

shows loft, lie, length, SW

Forever Changing at this point.......

Speaking of Wilson staff... look at this beauty I found recently.

108c7dee863e1e28d7e5390b6df7fd28.jpg

I've been playing the FG-62s for the past year and a half. Love them! Every time I think about changing irons, I just grab a stick from the bag and look down at the head from address, and think how crazy I would be to change from such perfection! ;)

I do wish the FG TOUR 100s were available for us lefties. However, the release of the newer milled 8802 in lefty has me holding out hope that a new lefty blade iron is in my future!

It's all I have left, since Hogan folded :(

I LOVED the old 8802........

Well, the rep stopped by today to give Madison a few clubs to hit, the 100 and V6 4i, 6i & 9i in each set, with her preferred shafts in em.

He also gave her some hats and visors for me, lol

Ya see, I've been beeatchin for years about the cheesy hats that they have at retail in the domestic market-

Those sorry *** painter' shats that Ricky runs around in??

Seriously???

GTFOH ;)

#1, ya can't find any Staff hats at any of the big boxes in town, with the only store carrying anything, and it's those damn painter's hats, is discount sporting goods store, Dunham's, whos club inventory consists of two year old iron releases and 2015/16 drivers and metals . #2, those hats are uglier than shat ;)

Ricky was the man at Staff at the time. He shouldn't have worn those rags and he sure as hell shouldn't have done those stupid *** "Seriously" ads.

Are those the ads that a company runs that been in the bags of SIXTY-ONE MAJOR WINNERS???

In the bags of Sarazen, The Haig, Sam, Arnold Palmer, Sir Nick(Screw Mizzy, Staff had the best customs department on earth next to Mac and Nick hated Mac-> See Curtis, lmao! Mizzy?? GTFOH?), Ben, John and Vijay, to name but a few-

So in '12, I'm rockin the 59's irons with the Mizzy 11 wedges, big tournament with Madison, and I always wore a Mizzy hat or visor but I also Played their irons and wedges and so the day before our tourney I'm driving around town trying to find a Staff hat/visor.

Nothing-

Dunham's had a couple of black S/M painter's hats that gave me a headache just standing there trying them on. So I rationalized that since I was Playing Mizzy wedges I could wear the visor and hat, lol.

But boy was I pissed, lol

I let the rep know it, lmao

Told him he had legendary blades but was part of a Mickey Mouse organization that just sucked and was a disgrace to its History Legacy and the Legend that was Staff, lol

Sometimes I get carried away

Well, Pgh sold 6 sets of of 62 blades that year and 8 sets of the V2's and all of the blades and 4 of the 6 V2's came out of my range-

And their dealer program/fitting process sucked too, lol.

I figured that I'd earned the right to beeatch ?

Well, they've started to turn the corner, starting with their display set-up and their fitting program, though they've got a ways to go.

STAFF has what no other OEM has and money cannot buy-

The History...

The Tradition...

The Legend...

The Legacy...

61 Majors...

FF to today and after he dropped off the irons to Madison he came back in with a box and told her to please give it to me, haha

Now THESE look like a Player's Hat/Visor. A cool little piece is the "61" on a little plastic tab on the back Velcro strap-

SIXTY-ONE FRIGGIN MAJORS!!

That's the Stuff of Legends and a whole lotta History & Tradition!!

Seriously ?

Oh, and he noticed that I live in my light blue Mizzy cap and so he included one-

Thanks again Blink!!!

It's my favorite Bro?

LMAO, the Stones rep was in also and I don't know why, but he gave Maddie this bucket rain hat and it's cool as hell, lol

Haha, today was a good day!!

Stay Well My Friends?

Fairways Greens & STAFF 4ever?️

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Played at Princes Golf Club, Kent, UK this last weekend where Sarazen won the Open in 1932 and where he put the first sand wedge into play which became the Wilson R90. Given that the bunkers are mostly pot bunkers and very deep I can see why winning the Open with a new club design would popularise it. Apparently the actual wedge used to be on display in the clubhouse but it is now so valuable, the insurers won't cover it. Great course btw...played with a mostly 30mph cross wind all weekend!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Finally, they're here.

Excuse me while I change my pants...wow those are so pretty

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Well, the rep stopped by today to give Madison a few clubs to hit, the 100 and V6 4i, 6i & 9i in each set, with her preferred shafts in em.

He also gave her some hats and visors for me, lol

Ya see, I've been beeatchin for years about the cheesy hats that they have at retail in the domestic market-

Those sorry *** painter' shats that Ricky runs around in??

Seriously???

GTFOH ;)

#1, ya can't find any Staff hats at any of the big boxes in town, with the only store carrying anything, and it's those damn painter's hats, is discount sporting goods store, Dunham's, whos club inventory consists of two year old iron releases and 2015/16 drivers and metals . #2, those hats are uglier than shat ;)

Ricky was the man at Staff at the time. He shouldn't have worn those rags and he sure as hell shouldn't have done those stupid *** "Seriously" ads.

Are those the ads that a company runs that been in the bags of SIXTY-ONE MAJOR WINNERS???

In the bags of Sarazen, The Haig, Sam, Arnold Palmer, Sir Nick(Screw Mizzy, Staff had the best customs department on earth next to Mac and Nick hated Mac-> See Curtis, lmao! Mizzy?? GTFOH), Ben, John and Vijay, to name but a few-

So in '12, I'm rockin the 59's irons with the Mizzy 11 wedges, big tournament with Madison, and I always wore a Mizzy hat or visor but I also Played their irons and wedges and so the day before our tourney I'm driving around town trying to find a Staff hat/visor.

Nothing-

Dunham's had a couple of black S/M painter's hats that gave me a headache just standing there trying them on. So I rationalized that since I was Playing Mizzy wedges I could wear the visor and hat, lol.

But boy was I pissed, lol

I let the rep know it, lmao

Told him he had legendary blades but was part of a Mickey Mouse organization that just sucked and was a disgrace to its History Legacy and the Legend that was Staff, lol

Sometimes I get carried away

Well, Pgh sold 6 sets of of 62 blades that year and 8 sets of the V2's and all of the blades and 4 of the 6 V2's came out of my range-

And their dealer program/fitting process sucked too, lol.

I figured that I'd earned the right to beeatch

Well, they've started to turn the corner, starting with their display set-up and their fitting program, though they've got a ways to go.

STAFF has what no other OEM has and money cannot buy-

The History...

The Tradition...

The Legend...

The Legacy...

61 Majors...

FF to today and after he dropped off the irons to Madison he came back in with a box and told her to please give it to me, haha

Now THESE look like a Player's Hat/Visor. A cool little piece is the "61" on a little plastic tab on the back Velcro strap-

SIXTY-ONE FRIGGIN MAJORS!!

That's the Stuff of Legends and a whole lotta History & Tradition!!

Seriously

Oh, and he noticed that I live in my light blue Mizzy cap and so he included one-

Thanks again Blink!!!

It's my favorite Bro

LMAO, the Stones rep was in also and I don't know why, but he gave Maddie this bucket rain hat and it's cool as hell, lol

Haha, today was a good day!!

Stay Well My Friends

Fairways Greens & STAFF 4ever️️

RP

If they ever made those buttonbacks in lefty, I'd buy at least one set. You're one lucky guy!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

need that fat shaft back in my life

what you do in your personal life is your business.....were talking golf clubs here...AND Thats what she said!

The FG cb sets have haunted me for three years....one of those are my next set of irons, I just love the look so much and they feel PERFECT

Demo'd the FG tour v6 today on flightscope with an X100. Smallest shop in town had the only wilson fitting cart lol. Dear lord they are sweet irons. Hit every 7i withing 5 yards and was working it both directions at will. Best part was the mishits didnt rattle my hands at all and still felt lovely. Pretty sure these irons have a chance to unseat the CMBs. So damn sexy

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Finally got around to hitting the Wilson V6. They're very nice and have a classic look at address. Feel was good and performance was great. 7I right around 175 carry with too light of a shaft (demo), which is right in line with my expectations. Overall, just enjoyed hitting them.

However, I really don't understand how a decent ball striker could select them over a Mizuno. If the V6s were $599, maybe I would be interested. Get a great feeling, underrated set of irons and still have money for wedges/driver/etc? Sure. I might even look at a Wilson driver or wedge set to keep it tight in the bag. But at $1,000, there's no chance. My custom-built Mizuno set cost less than that.

Finally got around to hitting the Wilson V6. They're very nice and have a classic look at address. Feel was good and performance was great. 7I right around 175 carry with too light of a shaft (demo), which is right in line with my expectations. Overall, just enjoyed hitting them.

However, I really don't understand how a decent ball striker could select them over a Mizuno. If the V6s were $599, maybe I would be interested. Get a great feeling, underrated set of irons and still have money for wedges/driver/etc? Sure. I might even look at a Wilson driver or wedge set to keep it tight in the bag. But at $1,000, there's no chance. My custom-built Mizuno set cost less than that.

Not one ounce of logic in anything you just said... enjoy the mizunos
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Absolutely agree on the A4. I'm on my second set right now and thinking what will I try when this set wears out Good to know about the Adams and Wilson connection. I'll take a hard look at those irons now.

King LTD Black CK Tensei Blue S 44”
Titleist 915f 15deg 3w Diamana 70g blue
Cobra King Forged CB ‘19 5-PW UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

Not one ounce of logic in anything you just said... enjoy the mizunos

Good morning Albs! I hope that you're well :)

I've gotta agree with ya on this, lol

To say that one would have to have a $3-400 dollar discount on a set of Staffs, well, I Played Mizzys longer than a few of these guys have been in the game and they're a nice iron, but they ain't all that, lmao, and I was fortunate to have Played three sets not even available at the retail level, lol. They were a friggin nice blade.

Nothing more..

Nothing less...

Having Played em for the past 25+ years and having three irons in there(out of five models total, the TP-9's, 87's, 14's, 33's & 68's) that were different head models than their retail release(the 87's, 14's & 33's) and I guess that I was "a decent ball striker(see pics below for verification ??)" and I'd take those 59's above over all but the 14's.

Though I'm not in the game presently, I'd bet my bag that these 100's, if guys hit blanks and weren't swayed by the running bird logo, would be the equal or better than the 5's.

Madison is "a decent ball striker" and she has Played 5 rounds with the Mizzy 900 Tours and 4 with the 25's and she really really liked them though she hit the V6's yesterday with her shafts in em and when I asked her her thoughts last night, she laughed and just said "wow." She went on to say that the 6's had a "crisper" sound at impact than either the 900's or 25's.

As far as moving the ball around, she said the 6's were on par with the 25's and superior to the 900 T's.

Look, we all have our preferences however the back handed pimp slap that it would take practically a 50% discount to Play either the V6's or the 100's over a comparable Mizzy iron tells me nothing more than the individual is so enamored with the running bird that they can't really carry on an objective open minded conversation about anything outside of Mizzy.

That is fine as no doubt, Mizzy makes a world class blade, MCB and CB-

So does Staff :)

Oh, and Reg, regarding Staff's wedges?

While they're a nice wedge, I'd stick with Mizzy on those and ya mentioned something about lookin at their drivers?

Again, they're ok though that Triton is an abomanation, however I'd stick with what ya got, lol

Staff makes World Class Irons-

That's almost it though its newest double milled 8802 is a World Class Putter if ya like a true blade putter!! I like it much better than my Napas(both black carbon and ss) and even better than my back-up to my '76 8802, the Odyssey Black Series Tour #8. The only reason at this point that I would take the 76 over the new one is mental and confidence cuz there are 33-34 years worth of "makes" in that 76 8802?

Nothing that some good practice, both physical and mental can't "adjust," lmao

As always, just my .03 worth?

And Reg, I still love Mizzy as if I could go out and hit today, and while I know me and I'd have the 100's in the bag, the reality is that 3 1/2 years away from the game, cancer and a stroke later, I wouldn't have the ball striking skills(I'm no longer "decent"?) nor clubhead Speed to swing the blade so I'd have my MP-25's in the bag however probably the "friendliest" irons would be my Tour F5's.

God, does the male ego suck?

Stay well Albs and have a great day?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Look, we all have our preferences however the back handed pimp slap that it would take practically a 50% discount to Play either the V6's or the 100's over a comparable Mizzy iron tells me nothing more than the individual is so enamored with the running bird that they can't really carry on an objective open minded conversation about anything outside of Mizzy.

That's said about as well as could be :)

edited to add: I'm largely a Ram Tour Grind guy, it's not like my take is coming from being a Wilson Staff fanboi. Though I do look fondly on my time playing Wilson Staffs, several years ago.

I also own a set of Mizuno MS-11s, that I have played considerably over the last 10 years.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You can buy a brand new set (4i-GW) of the V4's on ebay through budget golf for 349.99. They actually had a 20% off promo the other day that brought them down to below $300. Even so, 349 is an absolute steal.

Those are super lookin irons and Paddy and Ricky swore by em.

Do you know if there are any legit potential performance benefits of the 6's over the 4's?

Beyond the obligatory "more forgiving, more distance, straighter," lol

Legit differences in the irons like there were between the V2's and 4's-

The 2's were a quality iron however Staff really took it up a notch with the 4's-

Thanks much?

My Best,

Richard

You can buy a brand new set (4i-GW) of the V4's on ebay through budget golf for 349.99. They actually had a 20% off promo the other day that brought them down to below $300. Even so, 349 is an absolute steal.

I bought them at that price. I'm a horrid golfer and barley golf, but I have no self control.

Should be an upgrade over a wilson box set at any rate...