2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Staff is hands down making incredible stuff!

Fantastic milled putters at basically a bargain. They feel (imo) better than the latest Scottys with that aluminum face and steel body.

Their wedges are crazy good. Great shape, some loft and bounce options, 3 finishes, nice feel, good spin.

Irons, well, for me they have the most complete iron range of any competitor:1 SGI, 1 cast GI, 1 forged GI with true lofts and amazing feel, 1 players CB that beats AP2, MP25 and others in looks and feel (again, imo) and last but not least 1 classic blade.

The F5 hybrid is legit: compact, high launching, forgiving.

Fairway and driver are really good as well, but I havent hit them other than on a sim.

Really like the competitive price point and the weight kit that are stock (at least on the driver)

I really want to buy their stuff to show off how much I like WS!!!

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Purchased the Wilson C100 irons last summer. Got a got a sweet deal online $300 for new 4-GW. Really happy with the look, feel, and performance of these. Playing the regular flex steel shaft.

Next purchase could be some Wilson wedges. Need a new 52 degree. Wondering if their Harmonized series is good enough for me at $35 per club or should I go for their tour type which is more like $100 per club.

Considering on of their milled putters, but hesitant to buy a putter online without trying. Eventually would like a set of their blades.

Their woods look great but over my price point unless I can find a decent used club for under $100.

Purchased the Wilson C100 irons last summer. Got a got a sweet deal online $300 for new 4-GW. Really happy with the look, feel, and performance of these. Playing the regular flex steel shaft.

Next purchase could be some Wilson wedges. Need a new 52 degree. Wondering if their Harmonized series is good enough for me at $35 per club or should I go for their tour type which is more like $100 per club.

The Harmonized is fine, but the FG Tour is miles ahead. My dad has a Harmonized 60* and I hit it a couple of times and the feel is pretty hard. Doesnt spin as much as the FG Tour (dont have the milled face texture)

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

They are a very underrated company, their players irons including the blades are as good or better than anything else out there

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

Agree 100% with your assessment of the FG Tour balls. My favorite ball, hands down. Much preferred over any other so called premium ball. Distance, spin, feel seemingly perfect. And a incredible bargain with prudent shopping on past versions. The other nice feature, don't have to bother marking them. No one plays Wilson balls in my golfing circle. Duo's pretty nice ball as well. My cold weather ball.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ok this is the thing, WS has been back in the game making great irons for about 15 years. They're stuck in the realm of "Popularity Mediocrity" which has no effect on those of us that aren't club hoes. However, those of us that "flip" clubs often (every two years or less) won't find the satisfaction of owning them because you won't get much for them when you try to trade or sell them. They just suck in the used club market.

Now does that mean they make an inferior product? Heck no! Their irons and putters have been awesome. Their FG Tour has been around for some years now and I think the Duo U is probably any golf store's best kept secret. I have a buddy that has had the same irons for the last 15 years. He's a great candidate for WS. For you WRX hoes, not so much.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Oh, and the Triton, IMO, sucks. I work in a golf store and can tell you they don't sell. They need to keep at it in the driver market because this wasn't what they were looking for.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Agree 100% with your assessment of the FG Tour balls. My favorite ball, hands down. Much preferred over any other so called premium ball. Distance, spin, feel seemingly perfect. And a incredible bargain with prudent shopping on past versions. The other nice feature, don't have to bother marking them. No one plays Wilson balls in my golfing circle. Duo's pretty nice ball as well. My cold weather ball.

I used to game Srixon Z-Star as a preference but I am now finding excuses to get rid of the Z-Stars as fast as possible so I can start to seriously use the FG Tours I have stacked up. I haven't used the 2017 model as I still have a few of the previous model left. I can't say anything bad about these balls - the distance is good, spin is great but what really stands out to me is the feel. It feels nice and soft off any club, wedges especially. It is just a fantastic ball and as you say it can be had for bargain prices because there is seemingly very little love for this ball out there.

Other than the new driver they r doing great. That triton...woof...looks, feel, and distance lacking

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

Hi guys, thought I'd register and contribute a little, but been hovering around this site for a while just for kicks and info.

Within days i should have my new set of the 100 blades plus the oil can wedges, 52/56. Already have the Infinite windy city putter.

For those who are interested and have not seen the 100's and the V6, the 100's are a bigger head than the V6.

They are longer from heel to toe and are higher from the sole to the top line.

I chose the 100's because of the flight pattern and feel.

All in all the Wilson product is perfection.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

I wish they would make one of their C series irons more along the lines of the FG Tour V series. I could do without the slots and some of the other "visible tech"

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Rick Shiels says the FG Tour V6 are the best irons he's hit so far. I wouldn't really say they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum anymore since they run around the $800 mark if not more but they're certainly not the most expensive. They have some great engineers and designers and are learning to find their way again. Look at the popular brands of the 90's and where they're at now. Powerbuilt? Wilson Staff? Lynx? Back in the day, people never would have thought those companies would die like they did. Glad to see W/S stepping back into the spotlight.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

I am sick of saying it (lol) - the Wilson Staff FG Tour golf ball is the most under rated premium golf ball out there. If I was in the market for irons the FG Tour V6 would be in my bag.

Completely agree with both of those statements.

If I needed a new set of irons (currently playing Ben Hogan Ft. Worth '15s), I would take a very hard look at the V6 (or V4).

I wish the FG Tour ball was easier to find. IIRC, they don't carry it in my local Golf Galaxy and I'm playing Tour Preferred X right now that I can find for $17 a dozen on LGB.

Their woods haven't won me over yet. I hit the Triton and D300 and wasn't able to match the M2 I'm currently playing.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Rick Shiels says the FG Tour V6 are the best irons he's hit so far. I wouldn't really say they're on the cheaper end of the spectrum anymore since they run around the $800 mark if not more but they're certainly not the most expensive. They have some great engineers and designers and are learning to find their way again. Look at the popular brands of the 90's and where they're at now. Powerbuilt? Wilson Staff? Lynx? Back in the day, people never would have thought those companies would die like they did. Glad to see W/S stepping back into the spotlight.

Shiels is hinting around that the Wilsons are going in his bag and the Ping i-Blades are going to be replaced with the Wilsons.

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

Still better than TM or Nike (when they still used to make golf Equipment)

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Very valid concerns! They also aren't easy to deal with as a retailer when special orders are needed. I would recommend pulling the heads and getting them reshafted yourself if you want to get something custom done to the irons. Someone chime in if they've had a decent experience with custom orders from W/S.

TaylorMade Spider Black

Still better than TM or Nike (when they still used to make golf Equipment)

I agree that Nike didn't have the best information for their clubs, but Wilson is definitely not better than Nike was when it comes to golf equipment info. Not even close.

TaylorMade Spider Black