2017 ANA Inspiration - who ya got?

Warrick

Kudos to SYR for making the statement that it felt wrong. She did nothing but play well down the stretch and during the playoff. Tough to win in that environment and she'll forever be linked to the events with Lexi. Very classy young lady.

Classy???? Did you actually listen to what she said???? Paraphrased it was that "people were cheering for Lexi because she is American, but that she was sure that people in Korea were cheering for me." She thought this whole thing was about nationalism???? I'd bet anyone a month's pay that had SYR been in Lexi's shoes the crowd would have been cheering for her...regardless of where she came from.

SYR didn't cause any of this...and I bear her no ill will for winning as she hung in there and got through some bad circumstances and I am sure she is a very nice person...but she has a lot to learn about people.

People dissing on So Yeon can go suck a big fat one.

WTF was she supposed to do, piss away a major because someone else broke the f---ing rules. I have read some dumb crap since this happened.

So Yeon was in a difficult situation after the win, that interview had to be tough, as it was not about her, and she had just won her 2nd major in dramatic fashion. I don;t think she really thought it was about nationalism, just tough questions to answer in that situation

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, the LPGA was put in an awkward spot of having to enforce a very unpopular rule. Next to a DQ, it doesn't get any more penal than that. However, the ruling was correct, even though the rule definitely needs to be changed. I thought they handled it correctly, and in a timely manner (given when the information was presented to them), unlike the fiasco at the Men's U.S. Open, and last year's Women's U.S. Open. A few folks have mentioned that they should have squelched the email. Seriously? Women's golf is already a niche product. While this ruling was unpopular, a full blown scandal would be disastrous. Ask Nixon, a cover-up is always worse than the crime.

Congrats to Lexi for handling it with class. She took a sucker punch to the gut, but collected herself and pressed forward. I'm sure she picked up a lot of new fans yesterday. There doesn't appear to be any quit in her. Her parents should be proud. They raised a fantastic young woman.

Congrats also to So Yeon. She's been playing fantastic golf lately, and was certainly due for a win. She does what ever great player is supposed to do, put yourself in a position to win on Sunday. 'Don't understand why any anger would be directed at her. So Yeon is a classy as they come, and she's a great ambassador for women's golf. Her play during the final holes and playoff was amazing.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I posted this in another thread, but the part that I think is really, really stupid is that if this "violation" had been discovered today, nothing at all would have happened because competition has closed.

So if there is an unnoticed rules violation on Sunday, but not noticed until Monday, ehh...so what? Can't change the outcome of the event after it's closed.

Is Sunday not as important of a day as the other 3?

Think about that one for a while. If that doesn't prove that this call in stuff should be halted, and scores are complete and legit at the close of the round, then I don't know what does.

Unfortunately, the LPGA was put in an awkward spot of having to enforce a very unpopular rule. Next to a DQ, it doesn't get any more penal than that. However, the ruling was correct, even though the rule definitely needs to be changed. I thought they handled it correctly, and in a timely manner (given when the information was presented to them), unlike the fiasco at the Men's U.S. Open, and last year's Women's U.S. Open. A few folks have mentioned that they should have squelched the email. Seriously? Women's golf is already a niche product. While this ruling was unpopular, a full blown scandal would be disastrous. Ask Nixon, a cover-up is always worse than the crime.

Congrats to Lexi for handling it with class. She took a sucker punch to the gut, but collected herself and pressed forward. I'm sure she picked up a lot of new fans yesterday. There doesn't appear to be any quit in her. Her parents should be proud. They raised a fantastic young woman.

Congrats also to So Yeon. She's been playing fantastic golf lately, and was certainly due for a win. She does what ever great player is supposed to do, put yourself in a position to win on Sunday. 'Don't understand why any anger would be directed at her. So Yeon is a classy as they come, and she's a great ambassador for women's golf. Her play during the final holes and playoff was amazing.

Don't squelch it. Simply come out and say since the notification came in so much later, especially since they're already on the back nine of the final round, that we feel it's best not to take action. It would have created less controversy than the route they took.

It's their tournament, they can call the shots.

And being a niche product, this action makes them look worse than if they had chosen to not enforce it. How many posts have been made already in here, by hardcore golf fans saying they're done watching the LPGA? It's a bunch.

If the hardcore people, who know the ruling was technically correct, are pissed off, what do you suppose the feeling of the casual fan is? It's something like "what a joke". Hardly the image a niche product needs.

There is no rule that forces them to open or act on emails from every 35 year old nacho eating chop watching in his moms basement. And the notion that not responding to it would lead to a "full blown scandal" is absurd. If they do nothing, no one even knows said nacho eater had both his DVR and his hand-me-down lap top red lining, drooling away with his newly found discovery of total injustice. I'm sure he's eating breakfast with mom right now, pushing away 3 or 4 cats from the oatmeal she sprinkles fresh ground cinnamon on every morning, basking in the glow of anonymous self importance, "i'm like a super hero mom! I righted a terrible wrong and no one knows who I really am! Just like Batman!" ..... "Yes honey You're just like Batman" she says as she pours another finger of jack into her coffee."Will you be looking for work today dear?" she asks,gently and near tears. "Mom! STOP" our caped crusader snaps .

(I'm rolling now, cant be stopped)

What's even more egregious is the very idea that this is the "fair" outcome. That's so shortsighted and absurd i can't believe this is defended. The only way this could possibly be equitable for the field is to have every shot of every competitor filmed and reviewed. I'm sure there is a legion of nacho eaters at every tour stop, whose moms will drop them off at the video review booth. (like with all volunteers, the LPGA will need 35.50 each for the shirts you have to wear) and they can sit there with their micrometers, video enhancement software and large print copies of the rules of golf, looking for every possible infraction. Imagine when a couple of these Poindexters debate the finer points of "oscillation", Oh the hilarity that will ensue! Like a couple if PHD's arguing Riemanns hypothesis after one too many amaretto sours on a friday night at the lab. JOCULARITY!!!

As it's being reported today, the most reasonable response to all of this I've heard is Lexi herself. When she responded to the news of her 4 shot penalty with "Is this a joke?"

Yes Lexi, Yes it is.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Alright, the marking was not a 100% correct, if you're really, really, really after it. But why do they let people call in a day afterwards to influence the outcome of events?? When the round is over, it is over. Lexi Thompson could have signed a "correct" card if she was notified before the round with her "cheating" (look at what she does there, I think the ruling is ridiculous! She didn't give herself an advantage at all, and she never intended to) had ended. The two strokes for incorrect signing have nothing to do with a spirit of the game, they are bureaucracy at highest level. Poor acting by the governing body here, if you ask me. Two strokes would have been maximum here, personally I could live with no penalty at all, because Lexi deserves the benefit of doubt here.

And to the dork who called in a full day later: Get a life!!! Go play ball with your kids (if you happen to have any), walk your dog or do other useful things! Stop watching high resolution reruns of golf pros marking their balls a day after they actually did it. Sad when people got nothing better to do than calling other people out.

I posted this in another thread, but the part that I think is really, really stupid is that if this "violation" had been discovered today, nothing at all would have happened because competition has closed.

So if there is an unnoticed rules violation on Sunday, but not noticed until Monday, ehh...so what? Can't change the outcome of the event after it's closed.

Think about that one for a while. If that doesn't prove that this call in stuff should be halted, and scores are complete and legit at the close of the round, then I don't know what does.

That's not a bad point but the thing is while the event is still in progress they can do something, once the event is over they can't. It's not like they can bring everyone back, people have places to be once the event is over.

I don't love the call in thing but as messy as this was Lexi broke a rule and was called out for it. Is that wrong in itself? IMO, no.

The penalty is a different matter. That the 'violation' wasn't called until after the card was signed so technically the card was correct at the time of signing, there should not be a second 2 shot penalty. That bit I'd like to see changed.

Either way, it could have been worse,

If this was a mere few years ago Lexi would have been DQ'd on the back 9 of a Major whilst leading..

12 hours later I'm even more pissed. This is one more direct example of why people don't take golf or golfers seriously. Even in my own house, my wife who I finally got to sit down to watch a tournament was upset how it ended. She asked how was it fair to anyone to have a penalty called a full day later. And even more so, that the rules people (I'm assuming she means the USGA) allowed that challenge to go forward after scorecards had been signed. I would have been a little less upset had it been done the previous night, but would have understood it a bit.

This kind of thing has to stop. Virtually every player interviewed who saw it or tweeted about it was incredulous about the ruling. It was a shock to the system and Lexi did her best to put a positive spin on it, but she can't save face for the LPGA and the USGA. The fact that is was a penalty is not the issue. The hollow refrain of "She would have been DQ'd" is irrelevant. The fact remains is that someone on their couch directly changed the outcome of a tournament; not only for Lexi, but Suzanne and everyone else who teed it up within 5 shots of the lead.

If the tour bodies do not address this soon, this could have a wider affect on getting people into the game or keeping people in it. They could just say "F it. There are too many rules that I don't understand" and give up.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I still can't believe how little of Ryu we got to see in regulation. They only showed four shots during her last six holes; missed birdie putt on 16, drive on 18, chip on 18, made birdie putt on 18.

Given the coverage, I'm not shocked. Up until the 12th hole it was a two-horse race. She was seemingly too far back to matter.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

That's not a bad point but the thing is while the event is still in progress they can do something, once the event is over they can't. It's not like they can bring everyone back, people have places to be once the event is over.

I don't love the call in thing but as messy as this was Lexi broke a rule and was called out for it. Is that wrong in itself? IMO, no.

The penalty is a different matter. That the 'violation' wasn't called until after the card was signed so technically the card was correct at the time of signing, there should not be a second 2 shot penalty. That bit I'd like to see changed.

If this was a mere few years ago Lexi would have been DQ'd on the back 9 of a Major whilst leading..

You could consider each round an "event", and upon its completion, scores are final. Golf is like other sports, it's made up of equal length periods...3-4 rounds for a tournament, 4 quarters for football, 9 innings for baseball, etc.

Once a round/period is over, it's over. If you want to allow this call in crap, allow a specified time after a competitors completion of their round for review. Don't make them sign their scorecard until after that review period, or at the beginning of the next rounds play.

But, that still can't be applied to the final rounds. Just like now, where if you breach a rule during a final round, and aren't caught until later, you're in the clear.

So, I still say if signing the scorecard on Sunday signifies completion of the round and that score is final, it should on every other day.

I have seen way to many references to "fair" in these threads about this.

Whats is fair?

Life is not fair. I get sh!t sandwiches all the time, take a bite once in a while or starve.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I still can't believe how little of Ryu we got to see in regulation. They only showed four shots during her last six holes; missed birdie putt on 16, drive on 18, chip on 18, made birdie putt on 18.

Given the coverage, I'm not shocked. Up until the 12th hole it was a two-horse race. She was seemingly too far back to matter.

Her birdie on 12 put her in a four-way tie for second. They showed one shot over the next five holes.

The LPGA put itself in an awkward spot by allowing call/email ins. I understand they had to follow their rule once it came to their attention but they should not and never should allow it in the first place. Same as all the other tournaments. The fact that they do makes golf look idiotic and bush league.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

You could consider each round an "event", and upon its completion, scores are final. Golf is like other sports, it's made up of equal length periods...3-4 rounds for a tournament, 4 quarters for football, 9 innings for baseball, etc.

Once a round/period is over, it's over. If you want to allow this call in crap, allow a specified time after a competitors completion of their round for review. Don't make them sign their scorecard until after that review period, or at the beginning of the next rounds play.

But, that still can't be applied to the final rounds. Just like now, where if you breach a rule during a final round, and aren't caught until later, you're in the clear.

So, I still say if signing the scorecard on Sunday signifies completion of the round and that score is final, it should on every other day.

I wouldn't be against that at all which is why I suggest the 2nd two shot penalty should be abolished.

Quite frankly, at this level the whole 'signing of the scorecard' thing is a quaint little relic that isn't remotely required. Every group has scorers, the players should just walk off at the end of the round and check the scores in the bar..

I have seen way to many references to "fair" in these threads about this.

Whats is fair?

Life is not fair. I get sh!t sandwiches all the time, take a bite once in a while or starve.

With all appropriate respect, I'm not eating any sandwiches you make, ever.

Amen

Her birdie on 12 put her in a four-way tie for second. They showed one shot over the next five holes.

I didn't realize she was as close as that.

Classy???? Did you actually listen to what she said???? Paraphrased it was that "people were cheering for Lexi because she is American, but that she was sure that people in Korea were cheering for me." She thought this whole thing was about nationalism???? I'd bet anyone a month's pay that had SYR been in Lexi's shoes the crowd would have been cheering for her...regardless of where she came from.

SYR didn't cause any of this...and I bear her no ill will for winning as she hung in there and got through some bad circumstances and I am sure she is a very nice person...but she has a lot to learn about people.

Too perfect. You could not have ended your post in a more smh worthy way.

If someone needs to learn a lot about people, you post served as Exhibit A. of why you've got a lot of learning left to do.

She was responding to the reporters pointed question on that subject - of the crowd getting behind Lexi after the penalty assessment - and answered it as best she could on the spot.

I - and I would assume the vast majority of people - took it in the same way someone talking about Speith playing the Matchplay in Austin or some other 'home town' crowd example.

That you went with a jingoistic tangent is pure projection on your part.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Don't squelch it. Simply come out and say since the notification came in so much later, especially since they're already on the back nine of the final round, that we feel it's best not to take action. It would have created less controversy than the route they took.

And being a niche product, this action makes them look worse than if they had chosen to not enforce it. How many posts have been made already in here, by hardcore golf fans saying they're done watching the LPGA? It's a bunch.

If the hardcore people, who know the ruling was technically correct, are pissed off, what do you suppose the feeling of the casual fan is? It's something like "what a joke". Hardly the image a niche product needs.

But the rules do not allow for them to make that decision. Clearly the rules need to define a cutoff for a ruling. I'm not sure if that needs to be at the end of the round, or before the player tees off on the next round, or some other time. There are many times when weather delays force play to extend until sunset, and play resumes very early the next morning. I can't imagine rules officials stick around until midnight to see if anyone calls in a rules violation. There has to be some reasonable amount of time given to allow reviews, but certainly not until the middle of the next round.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

The LPGA put itself in an awkward spot by allowing call/email ins. I understand they had to follow their rule once it came to their attention but they should not and never should allow it in the first place. Same as all the other tournaments. The fact that they do makes golf look idiotic and bush league.

It's no different on the PGA. Call in's have effected play. Should it? Probably not, or within limits. The ruling bodies have to sort it out ASAP.

It's no different on the PGA. Call in's have effected play. Should it? Probably not, or within limits. The ruling bodies have to sort it out ASAP.

Does it even need the ruling bodies to sort it out? Can't the tours, and I guess the USGA and R&A for their tournaments, just declare they will not be accepting rules violation callins. The integrity and honour of the game they like to promote is not served by permitting it. It just makes the game and everyone involved in it look stupid. I didn't like that GC had Tirico on the telecast because it was obvious he knew nothing about the players but he came pretty close for calling it what it was-idiotic.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I wish the winner would have been someone I'm not a fan of. I like Ryu a lot, hate to see her finally get a win and it's tarnished.

If Lexi would have won, and everybody knew that she had committed a rules violation, don't you think it it would have bit a bit tarnished?

Sadly, this is a no-win situation for everyone. However, if Lexi doesn't commit the infraction, we never have this discussion.

But the rules do not allow for them to make that decision. Clearly the rules need to define a cutoff for a ruling. I'm not sure if that needs to be at the end of the round, or before the player tees off on the next round, or some other time. There are many times when weather delays force play to extend until sunset, and play resumes very early the next morning. I can't imagine rules officials stick around until midnight to see if anyone calls in a rules violation. There has to be some reasonable amount of time given to allow reviews, but certainly not until the middle of the next round.

I 100% agree with a cutoff time.

I'm just of the opinion that this is a case where the LPGA needs to havethe stones to say "it's our tournament and the RIGHT thing to do is two strokes, if any, due to the timing". Yes, follow the USGA rules for actual playing of the game, but not the arcane incorrect scorecard crap.

I still maintain there would be less fallout if they had taken that for a course of action as opposed to them following the rule to the letter. Most people that follow the LPGA are pretty diehard golf fans (this is evidenced just by flowing the LPGA forum), wouldn't you say they would rather have had them ignore the incorrect scorecard penalty? Do you think there would be 17 pages in this thread, and how many more in the thread in Tour Talk, if they had proceeded that way?

And we're also hearing opinions from the non-golf fans (spouses who seldom watch and such), they are incredulous that this could happen.

Black eye for the LPGA on this one.

I wish the winner would have been someone I'm not a fan of. I like Ryu a lot, hate to see her finally get a win and it's tarnished.

If Lexi would have won, and everybody knew that she had committed a rules violation, don't you think it it would have bit a bit tarnished?

Sadly, this is a no-win situation for everyone. However, if Lexi doesn't commit the infraction, we never have this discussion.

Not really. Because it was such a minor one and would not have changed the outcome.

Just like if Anna had gone on to win last year and then the video of her club touching the sand had come out afterwards.

However, you are 100% correct, it's a no win and if Lexi had simply marked correctly (which I bet she does in the future) there would be no issue. Ultimately, no matter how much we dislike the rule or how it was applied, it was still her doing.

It was painful to watch the last few holes of the ANA yesterday. I've always hated that a TV viewer can actually call in a penalty on a player, & no one can change my mind on that. I especially think that a penalty called in a whole day after the said penalty happened is absurd. In the famous words of Bulldog Briscoe (from "Frasier").....this is BS, total BS! Allowing TV viewers to call in penalties is ridiculous, but IF the USGA continues to allow this practice, it at least, needs to have a timeframe of calling them in before the round is finished or earlier, & should be handled right then & there.

Lexi Thompson handled this farce with her typical dignity & class, as did the eventual winner.

I thought it was really classy seeing Pettersen put her arm around Lexi and giving her a few words of encouragement as they were walking down the fairway after finding out about the penalty. Oh thats right, she didn't. Hell, even Pettersen's caddie gave Lexi a warmer embrace after the round than Pettersen. What do I know...maybe Petersen just isn't an affectionate person in general. I know she's all about competition but damn.

On the off chance that there is anyone in charge at the LPGA with even a hint of common sense, here's a tip:

The next time you get an e-mail about a rules infraction that happened the day before, ignore it. Everyone in the world would have been better off, including So Yeon Ryu. Her "victory" will be forever tainted - she would've been better off finishing second.

Speaking of which, I have nothing against her at all, but she missed a HUGE opportunity by not conceding the playoff. Could've gone down in history alongside Nicklaus/Jacklin as one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship in the history of the game. And likely would've done way more for her career than getting a heavily asterisked second major.

On the off chance that there is anyone in charge at the LPGA with even a hint of common sense, here's a tip:

The next time you get an e-mail about a rules infraction that happened the day before, ignore it. Everyone in the world would have been better off, including So Yeon Ryu. Her "victory" will be forever tainted - she would've been better off finishing second.

Speaking of which, I have nothing against her at all, but she missed a HUGE opportunity by not conceding the playoff. Could've gone down in history alongside Nicklaus/Jacklin as one of the greatest acts of sportsmanship in the history of the game. And likely would've done way more for her career than getting a heavily asterisked second major.

Concede the tournament when you did NOTHING wrong?

That makes absolutely no sense.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x