2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

So How Far Do Average Golfers Really Hit the Ball?

Sean2

I also play with another group that is wholey competitive, they're always asking what club are using & comparing distances rather than the quality & accuracy of shots. I've outgrown this childish crap.

Enjoy the game & mind your own business is my motto.

Dude.. yes. My canned response to "what club" is "dunno - probably a wedge or a long iron, but I'm thankful it's on the green". No one asks me anymore.

(assuming I'm on the green, I tag that on the end).

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played with a guy in US Mid Am last year who hit it about 250. I was 25 yards by him every hole. He qualified I didn't. I've spent all winter shortening my swing, moved back to Stiff Flex, and spent hours on my short game. I've moved from 1 to +1 quickly. Seldom will most ameaturs even competitive ones play above 7000 yards. Distance helps but isn't the end all be all for us Ams. Now if you are going to make a run at the big leagues everything I've said is irrelevant In the pro game.

I'm a sub 5 handicap (3), 39 years old and as much as I HATE it lack the distance and power to be a very good player among other things missing.

I'm capable of hitting one out there 250+ but it's not the norm. I avg 230-240 carry on a TrackMan and 250 total or so.

I hit my 8 iron 145 and PW 125.

I do play with some guys regularly who I give up 20 yards to on the tee. But I can still beat them regularly.

What's the strength in your game that has you regularly beating them?

ROLL TIDE!

I'm guessing a) good ballstriking, averaging 10 fairways, and 11-12 greens per round, b) very good short game, averaging 30 to 40% up and downs, c) good putting, averaging ~30 putts with few 3 putts, and d) good course management, avoiding doubles or worse.

One thing, in my limited observation of good players, that will erase a distance advantage is having a two-way miss with your iron shots. Thinking in particular of a couple guys I know, one of them has about a 30 yard advantage with every club in the bag. But the long hitter is equally likely to pull or hook an 8-iron or to hit a push-fade with the same club. He hits a lot of greens but he can't "course manage" his misses because 20 yards left and 20 yards right is equally likely.

The other guy gives up the 30 yards which has to be worth a couple strokes. But his handicap is 4-5 strokes lower because he knows that the ball will go where he's aiming if it hits it well or it will be a little push or fade 15 yards right if he comes out of it a bit. He can aim as close to trouble on the left as he wants because I've literally never seen him miss left on a single shot.

Short game is important. Putting is crucial. But length can be a double-edged sword if you can't take one side or the other out of play.

I was never a proponent of HI and tees. A 22 year old with a 7 HI will hit the ball longer than someone in his 60s. In competition should they play the same tees? Even at the professional level the difference in age is recognized, and that starts at age 50. I played in a tournament once and based on my HI they put me at 6800 yards. According to the x26 formula I should be playing around 5700-5800. It was...interesting. :-)

I usually play the middle tees, though they can have a wide disparity in length. The other day the course I played had them at 6500. I only hit 3 iron shots all day, yet shot an 81 (par 72). I had fun, but I also like hitting my irons.

I like to be tested, but I also want to play a length I can manage. When I watch professional golf on TV, the vast majority of players hit irons into greens and on par 3s. For me, this is how the game was designed to be played. If for you enjoyment comes from hitting hybrids and fairway woods into many par 4s and 3s, good for you...as long as you are having fun!

My first drive goes 450 yards. My second I top it goes 30 yards. I average 240, kind of subjective. Should be what are you capable of half the time.

From the op:

the median driving distances from golfers across the world:

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

All this stuff about specific tees for specific skills puzzles me. I can see the logic of it but I've never experienced it. We just play off whatever tee people agree to play off. If we have plenty of time and fancy a challenge we play off whites. If we're in a hurry we play off yellow or even red. It has nothing to do with ability. Just what kind of match we happen to want to have.

Personally (as an unofficial 19 handicapper who only drives 190 yds) enjoy the white tees. They allow me to make a full half a day out of a round of golf and introduce additional strategy on par 3s that I can't reach. I've played with people who can easily out strike me but they've never minded. I tend to stick to the fairways and they explore the trees or bushes. Either way a good time is had by all and the scoring is fairly even when handicaps are taken into account.

Haven't read the OP but have guessed the article. Yesterday in a 25 MPH wind, I hit a 56 degree wedge 137 yards.

Why the obsession with distance? It makes no difference. I don't care if you hit it farther than me, shorter than me or exactly the same as me. It's irrelevant. Play your own game, don't listen to what Sam Snead is purported to say.

Have fun, keep on pace and respect the other golfers and the course.

Distance is very important. There is a strong mathematical correlation between handicap and club speed/distance.

RH

Which would make you think that "Long Drive" competitors would be better players.

Hello! Former long drive competitor. Crappy golfer. That's me. If you stink all around at golf seeing me bomb It around is going to make you think I'm better than I am. If you're pretty good, this won't faze you and you'll play your game against me. You'll usually win too. Sure, my length is a huge advantage. I'm a great guy to have in a scramble. I've had my scramble greens fees paid by strangers for years. Had some pretty good times too.

When the rest of my game is on, the game is pretty dang simple. The rest of my game rarely is and if you want to see some crappy golf I can show you how to make a bogey with a wedge second in to a par 5. I do that more often than I make eagle from there. A couple times a year I'll be 100% on in all aspects and shoot a stupid low score. Granted this is on most of the local courses where most par 4's play as threes to me and the 5's as 4's. It's a rare day when I shoot a good score on a course that's longer than 7k though. So rare that I can't recall it ever happening. There's also a couple rounds a year when everything, even my long game is off. When this happens 100 isn't out of reach. I had one round two years ago when I played for the first time with my brother in law. I didn't record a single par. Nothing less either. Of the three greens I managed to hit, I three putted all of them. I've never wanted to get off a course so fast in my life.

So length is certainly an advantage. But it alone does not a golfer make.

Haven't read the OP but have guessed the article. Yesterday in a 25 MPH wind, I hit a 56 degree wedge 137 yards.

Why the obsession with distance? It makes no difference. I don't care if you hit it farther than me, shorter than me or exactly the same as me. It's irrelevant. Play your own game, don't listen to what Sam Snead is purported to say.

Have fun, keep on pace and respect the other golfers and the course.

Distance is very important. There is a strong mathematical correlation between handicap and club speed/distance.

RH

Which would make you think that "Long Drive" competitors would be better players.

Yes, you would, and some of them are exceptional players (Monte, Sadlowski for example), and many more must be decent low ams.

However, hitting the ball miles JUST ONCE out of (is it?) 6 attempts, doesn't really translate to golf 'skill', and certainly not golf scores.

It's how these players 'turn down' their long drive swings to create a consistent 'normal' swing. Plus, they have to be practising their short games and partial wedges too, otherwise they wouldn't have a chance to score - how many of them actively practise their short games (in proportion to their long games)?

Oh, oh , oh. Pick me. Pick me! As a former long drive competitor, all I ever practice is my short game (defined by me as: Not Driver). I never hit my driver on the range, when I go. Ever. I know what I can do with that. Where my typical suckage occurs is with anything less than driver. If I'm off with it, it's gonna be a VERY long day. Like there's two numbers behind my first number long. I count on that to make my round. Especially with the typical 6200 yard from the tips courses in my area. It can make golf a very simple game.

It is better to be long than short but distance is only decisive when the other aspects of the games are relatively equal. What a lot of distance obsessed golfers forget is that it is much more feasible to master other aspects of the game than to become a really long hitter. As a result they spend their limited time working on the wrong things.

Steve

Wrong. At least as far as them working on the wrong things go. Granted if all else is equal, then (and only then) two people hitting 8 iron in, the better golfer wins. Where you are wrong is that distance can be such a factor that it can negate other aspects. Case in point, one of my typical courses, I've been on the green when my playing partner is hittting an 8i in. After a decent (for him) drive. Not a PB. I could care less. I'm talking about the advantage that length can give someone. When most par 4's play as threes, it's certainly a huge advantage.

I haven't hit driver on the range for 15+ years (if you take out the odd session with a first time trip for a brand new club). I know what to expect with it. When I practice, I work on hitting the 100 yard flag. The 50 yard flag. Etc. The distance part is what sets me aside. Or any long hitter. Why work on it? The rest of my game has major holes or inconsistencies in it. My tee shots do not. If they do it's going to be a long day anyways. So I'll just take my lumps when that comes up.

You only need to average 250 to be able to beat anyone in the world as long as you have the overall skill level. Corey Pavin comes to mind. He even won a major.

Used to need only 250 ... might want to raise that to about 270-275 now. Furyk is last on tour averaging a little less than 270.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

As I'm obliged to point out every time there's a distance thread, depending on the situation a miss short of the green may not be from a mistake in tactics or an incorrect idea of ones distances. Sometimes it's better to be 20 yards short of the green than to be 2 yards over.

At least speaking of my own home course there are always several hole locations each day fairly close to the back of the green. On some of those holes the proper club is one that will reach hole high only if it is hit dead solid perfect. Going up one extra club and then hitting it will would lead to a double bogey from over the green. Taking barely enough club and then mishitting slightly means being just short of the green with a very straightforward chip and putt for par, no worse than bogey in play.

I've seen some older style courses with severe back-to-front tilts to almost every green. You'll see even very good players who know exactly how far they hit each club come up short 10x more often than they go long when playing those courses. It would be a mistake to say, "Look at those poor fools, they must think they hit their irons way farther than the really do. They've been coming up short all day".

Great point. Seems like a lot of courses are this way in Ohio. I'm not going to short-side myself with a downhill chip/pitch just to make sure I got it all the way to the pin. I'll take the uphill bump and run all day.

That being said, it seems like most of the people I play with choose a club based on what will happen if the shot is struck perfectly, rather than accounting for distance loss on a mishit. Psychology at it's finest.

My home course has nearly every green sloping from back to front, so definitely better to come up short and have an uphill chip rather than go long and chip one off the front. I'm playing for front third of the greens so if I hit it solid and it's on the back but still on, fine, if it's a little short, still okay.

You only need to average 250 to be able to beat anyone in the world as long as you have the overall skill level. Corey Pavin comes to mind. He even won a major.

Used to need only 250 ... might want to raise that to about 270-275 now. Furyk is last on tour averaging a little less than 270.

No doubt these days you need more distanceto make a living on tour but my point was 250 is enough to break par on tour courses if you have the skill level of someone like Pavin. You probably won't last long on the PGA tour with a 250 average these days for sure.

596 wrote: "Just as an example that the vast majority of golfers over estimate the distance they can hit each club......

I watch golf on the course 40 hours a week, well until 2 months ago when I retired, and I can tell you the safest place to be when people hit to the green is in the middle to the back of said green. 90% of ALL golfers are short of the green with approaches. I had NO fear of being hit by a golf ball as long as I was standing on the back fringe. Then, if the ball did actually make it to the green 50% of those where already rolling on the ground. Very few golfers hit greens on the carry. I know it sounds bad but for the average Joe golfer it is true. I was asked all the time if I feared being hit by a ball and I always laughed and explained the above. People have egos that they can't deal with. BTW - The ladies were just as bad as the guys when estimating what club to carry onto a green.

The closet I ever came to being hit was today. I was playing golf!! We were headed up the middle of our fairway when ball hit the front of our cart on the fly. It came from a tee box on an opposing fairway. We never saw it coming, no "FORE", no nothing. Just a bunch of stupid people playing the tips that had no business being there. Sorry....rant over."

Yep! A few years ago I asked a buddy of mine who is a teaching PGA pro what the most common mistake amateurs make. His answer was under clubbing. Joe Smith with a 15 handicap 2 rounds ago absolutely flushed his 7 iron 150 yards. So now, every time he is in the 150 range he pulls out the 7 and is inevitably short of the pin. His ball striking is not consistent enough to achieve 150 on a regular basis. The availability of range finders has certainly shut up some of the dreamers as to how far they actually hit each club. The above mentioned Joe Smith earlier in the year 'caught one good' off the tee on a hole playing down wind with a fairway that slopes towards the hole. His 280 yard drive was aided immensely by the above mentioned conditions. But now ask Joe how far he hits his driver and the response will be 280.

You people sure do play with and observe a lot of morons. The old guys I play with all have lasers and/or GPS and they all know exactly how long (or actually how short!) they hit each club.

But I suspect a lot of what you're describing is not so much overly optimistic notions of how far they hit each club but rather the fact that most hackers SEVERELY mishit a lot of shots.

Let's say you have 140 to the front of a green, 155 to the middle, 170 to the back. And let's say honest to God, no kidding, no delusions Joe Bogey Golfer's actual 6-iron distance is 155. Just how much extra club would you like to suggest he take? A lot of 20-ish handicappers we're going to mis-hit 1/3 of their iron shots by 20 yards or more. Do you really think it makes sense for the guy to hit a 3-hybrid or something (whatever is his 180 club) when he is 170 to the back of the green?

And for that matter if he does go up two or three clubs he might still duff that and hit it halfway to the green. Never attribute to ego or stupidity what can be explained by mere awful swings.

The 9-10 mentioned at my club are the ones I know - there could be more. And ridiculous to think these guys can't play ... most of them are retired or semi-retired, empty nesters, and all they do is play.

You're making a blanket statement as if I said that when I did not... re-read the words. I know guys in the 60's that play good golf... But they are NOT anywhere near large in numbers or percentage, or common, when compared to all single digit or better golfer total. Read the chart, and its doesn't deal with age categories. http://bit.ly/2pIleo9

Was I quoting you or someone else ? No one said that low handicap seniors were in the majority. The chart says anywhere from 13% - 17% less than around 6 cap.

My club has 400 members meaning that around 50-60 would be under 6. And let's say that seniors are 40% of the membership. 40% of 50-60 is around 20-24.

And it depends on the course ... I can guarantee there's more low caps at a course like Oakmont than your typical CC.

Earlier I referenced "tournament" clubs, which meant courses that host big events, maybe tour level. They will have more competitive and single digit golfers, partly because those courses tend to be more difficult. However, I still don't agree with your OA single digit math assumptions. Demographics and club charter makeup plays a large roll in who clubs attract.

I travel and play in at private clubs over five states. As I said earlier, spent many years playing inter-club team golf over a large region; where our clubs either hosted a weekly team or we traveled to competing club, over the region. If a private club participated in team golf, typically their best golfers were on their team. Most teams had only a few single digit golfers, even less senior single digit, and most had no "+" golfers. If a club fielded a team or two, typically they had near full membership rosters.

If your a member of a private club check with club leadership to see if they subscribe NCA, and get their newsletter. NCA provides all sorts of national private club stats, management and membership assistance, etc. Have a good day.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Let's say you have 140 to the front of a green, 155 to the middle, 170 to the back. And let's say honest to God, no kidding, no delusions Joe Bogey Golfer's actual 6-iron distance is 155. Just how much extra club would you like to suggest he take? A lot of 20-ish handicappers we're going to mis-hit 1/3 of their iron shots by 20 yards or more. Do you really think it makes sense for the guy to hit a 3-hybrid or something (whatever is his 180 club) when he is 170 to the back of the green?

And for that matter if he does go up two or three clubs he might still duff that and hit it halfway to the green. Never attribute to ego or stupidity what can be explained by mere awful swings.

Quite. I know my distances. And part of that is knowing the likely range. My 7i is 120 to 150 although anything over 140 is a lucky fluke. So I'm 130 yards from the green - I go with the seven. It's likely the ball will stop on the green somewhere. It might only just roll on. Or it might land and almost roll off the back. But if I wanted to be sure and went with a 6i - ouch. For me that's 130 to 160+ No way in hell do I want to risk that from a mere 130 yards out.

So yes, of course, I tend to play it short. Luckily my chipping is pretty good and my putting is very good. It's certainly better to suffer one extra chip or putt than it is to lose a ball in the shrubbery off the back of the green.

Quite. I know my distances. And part of that is knowing the likely range. My 7i is 120 to 150 although anything over 140 is a lucky fluke. So I'm 130 yards from the green - I go with the seven. It's likely the ball will stop on the green somewhere. It might only just roll on. Or it might land and almost roll off the back. But if I wanted to be sure and went with a 6i - ouch. For me that's 130 to 160+ No way in hell do I want to risk that from a mere 130 yards out.

So yes, of course, I tend to play it short. Luckily my chipping is pretty good and my putting is very good. It's certainly better to suffer one extra chip or putt than it is to lose a ball in the shrubbery off the back of the green.

Most greens are 30 yards deep. If I have 145 to the middle I know I have 160 to the back and 130 to the front. Even if the pin is in front I will always hit, in this example, my 155 yard club. If I hit it well, I know I will still be putting, if I don't hit it well I know I will at least reach the front of the green (if there is a hazard in front of the green and I hit my 135 yard club to a front hole location, and don't hit it well, I end up in the hazard). I obviously don't hit the green every time...I wish...but I rarely under club.

As someone else observed the vast majority of golfers they see leave the ball short. I have had the same experience.

This game is very simple to understand: get the ball in the hole with the fewest number of strokes. But, it is infinitely complex in how one goes about doing that.

The 9-10 mentioned at my club are the ones I know - there could be more. And ridiculous to think these guys can't play ... most of them are retired or semi-retired, empty nesters, and all they do is play.

You're making a blanket statement as if I said that when I did not... re-read the words. I know guys in the 60's that play good golf... But they are NOT anywhere near large in numbers or percentage, or common, when compared to all single digit or better golfer total. Read the chart, and its doesn't deal with age categories. http://bit.ly/2pIleo9

Was I quoting you or someone else ? No one said that low handicap seniors were in the majority. The chart says anywhere from 13% - 17% less than around 6 cap.

My club has 400 members meaning that around 50-60 would be under 6. And let's say that seniors are 40% of the membership. 40% of 50-60 is around 20-24.

And it depends on the course ... I can guarantee there's more low caps at a course like Oakmont than your typical CC.

Earlier I referenced "tournament" clubs, which meant courses that host big events, maybe tour level. They will have more competitive and single digit golfers, partly because those courses tend to be more difficult. However, I still don't agree with your OA single digit math assumptions. Demographics and club charter makeup plays a large roll in who clubs attract.

I travel and play in at private clubs over five states. As I said earlier, spent many years playing inter-club team golf over a large region; where our clubs either hosted a weekly team or we traveled to competing club, over the region. If a private club participated in team golf, typically their best golfers were on their team. Most teams had only a few single digit golfers, even less senior single digit, and most had no "+" golfers. If a club fielded a team or two, typically they had near full membership rosters.

If your a member of a private club check with club leadership to see if they subscribe NCA, and get their newsletter. NCA provides all sorts of national private club stats, management and membership assistance, etc. Have a good day.

Why is unreasonable to think 20 out of 400 golfers are seniors with a cap less than 5 ?

Don't need the NCA or whatever that is to look at the handicaps actually posted in the club house. Good for you on your traveling golf, but there are plenty of seniors at all of the clubs you played with that don't play inter-club golf and have less than 5 caps. A lot of them just prefer their buddies that they play with week in and week out.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

Why is unreasonable to think 20 out of 400 golfers are seniors with a cap less than 5 ?

Because that would run counter to just about everyone's​ personal experience of seeing one senior under a 5 cap for every roughly 100 they play with. If 5% are under a 5 then there are lots of them all held up in the same place keeping to themselves. Lol

Because that would run counter to just about everyone's​ personal experience of seeing one senior under a 5 cap for every roughly 100 they play with. If 5% are under a 5 then there are lots of them all held up in the same place keeping to themselves. Lol

Maybe where you live ... down south, folks play lot of golf all year.

Taylor Made Spider Mini

As a short knocker, relatively speaking (230 average), I'd KILL for another 20 yards. I have no doubt I'd be a + handicap if I retained my current accuracy (about 80% fairways hit).

So let's do the math. What's your current index and your low of the last 12 months?

If you hit the ball 20 yards farther, on average, you are effectively shortening the course by 280 yards (14 driver holes x 20), right? That would equate to about a two stroke difference in your score, if I'm not mistaken. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

596, on 17 April 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'm all over that chart. I'm over 60, hit the ball 220 carry and am under a 5 handicap from the regular men's tees.

Distance....it ain't about how far you hit each club. It's how well you control that club for a particular distance. I can hit a 9 iron 150 yards. I hit it from 130 for more accuracy. I hit a pitching wedge 135 but am deadly accurate with it from 100 yards. Yes, distance is an advantage, but most people have no idea how to actually use it to their advantage. I play with a guy who can hit the ball well over 300 yards but I beat him every single time we play. He has no idea how to hit a club from under 250 yards... :cheesy:

verderraul wrote: "Given your 9 iron and PW yardages...you should be hitting the driver much further"

Somethings amiss............that driver yardage is way out of whack compared to the PW and 9 iron distances. Either your irons are bent super strong, or you would benefit from a professional fitting for a new driver.

population averages aside. how do they measure each golfers average distance? if you put them on a monitor hitting 10 balls, the handicap golfer hits so many flubs that their "average" distance is not really a true reflection of the expected distance output from their swing.

Well if you hit 10 shots on a monitor and lots are miss hits when you go on the course you will do the same. The average distance has to take these things into account.

Unfortunately this isn't how averages work. Using this analogy if someone hits 5 reasoble 7 irons of say 150 yards and 5 'flubs' of 50 yards, this gives an average of 100 yards. So using your analogy you would use a seven iron for a 100 yard shot which, if hit reasonably well is going to be massive. This is a very dodgy use of averages and is like saying the average human has one breast and one testicle.

Everything missing dead centre or sweet spot is a mishit, i wasn't talking about duffed shots. if I shanked a 7 iron and hit a bin 15 yards away I'm obviously going to discount it. Over a period of time most golfers know how far they hit the ball. I was presuming a certain amount of common sense would be used.

Everything missing dead centre or sweet spot is a mishit, i wasn't talking about duffed shots. if I shanked a 7 iron and hit a bin 15 yards away I'm obviously going to discount it. Over a period of time most golfers know how far they hit the ball. I was presuming a certain amount of common sense would be used.

80% of golfers sits at the 18-36 handicap and then the majority of golfers in the world would likely, not know their distances at all.

so "most golfers" isnt correct.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God