2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

So How Far Do Average Golfers Really Hit the Ball?

Sean2

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't understand people who can't see that for 99% of golfers distance is the most important aspect to better golf...

distance is the biggest advantage b/c it is the only thing that can reduce the par of the course for certain players. most low ams and pros aren't playing par 72's, they're playing par 68's. it also helps when you can hit a 6 iron into a 200 yard par 3 instead of a hybrid or wood and drop down to a iron off the tee on a long tight par 4 and still have a scoring iron for your approach.

if you don't care about your score and are just in the game for fun and social stuff then by all means ignore this

Based on my handicap I'd be termed a "bogey golfer" but darned if I make many bogeys. Last weekend I shot 88 and 92 for my two rounds and made a total of five bogeys out of 36 holes. I'm not a "bogey golfer", I'm a "pars and doubles golfer"!

Doubles are round killers. Gotta take your medicine at times and play for bogey, while still giving yourself a chance at par. Forget the miracle shots unless you can pull them off 80% of the time. Near the green, the primary focus has got to be getting it on the green. It's nice to get up and down for par, but one can't blade it over the green, or chunk it three feet, and wind up with a double or worse.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

A 300 yard drive that's 3* offline is 15.7 yards offline

A 250 yard drive that's 3* offline is 13.1 yards offline

A 200 yard drive that's 3* offline is 10 yards offline

Probably even more if the "offline" part is due to an open clubface. Those #s are correct if a straight push or pull, but the ball will spin even more offline. Also, the longer hitter will have a faster club head speed, so the spin will be even more pronounced!

Makes sense. I was using offline in the sense of where it settled in relation to the target line. I believe Broadie is measuring the ball from where it settled vs. the target line, rather than degrees of face open/closed.

i don't understand people who can't see that for 99% of golfers distance is the most important aspect to better golf...

distance is the biggest advantage b/c it is the only thing that can reduce the par of the course for certain players. most low ams and pros aren't playing par 72's, they're playing par 68's. it also helps when you can hit a 6 iron into a 200 yard par 3 instead of a hybrid or wood and drop down to a iron off the tee on a long tight par 4 and still have a scoring iron for your approach.

if you don't care about your score and are just in the game for fun and social stuff then by all means ignore this

Totally disagree. If one is playing the right tees, then one should be able to get the ball near the green in two shots, even if they're hitting a hybrid for a 2nd shot. If they can get up and down even 20% of the time they'll still break 90. Heck, the majority of golfers would love to break 90 on a regular basis. Yes, statistically hitting a 7 iron is better than a 5 iron, but higher handicaps generally don't hit either very good.

I see it all the time. Decent, if not short drive. Reasonable 2nd shot near the green. Blade the third over the green. Chunk the 4th. Hit the fifth 300 feet short of the pin, and then two putt for a triple.

Distance is nice, but I found that wedge play can lead to fewer lost strokes, even if it means hitting the 3rd on to the green and two putting for a bogie.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Totally disagree. If one is playing the right tees, then one should be able to get the ball near the green in two shots, even if they're hitting a hybrid for a 2nd shot. If they can get up and down even 20% of the time they'll still break 90. Heck, the majority of golfers would love to break 90 on a regular basis. Yes, statistically hitting a 7 iron is better than a 5 iron, but higher handicaps generally don't hit either very good.

I see it all the time. Decent, if not short drive. Reasonable 2nd shot near the green. Blade the third over the green. Chunk the 4th. Hit the fifth 300 feet short of the pin, and then two putt for a triple.

Distance is nice, but I found that wedge play can lead to fewer lost strokes, even if it means hitting the 3rd on to the green and two putting for a bogie.

you're theory is flawed because you are just giving these guys/gals distance and accuracy by default up until the green... sorry but that's not how it works. way more common to see them spend 6 shots getting to the green.

also, how many golfers do you think are actually playing the appropriate tees?!?

I agree and have mentioned something in previous threads.

you're theory is flawed because you are just giving these guys/gals distance and accuracy by default up until the green... sorry but that's not how it works. way more common to see them spend 6 shots getting to the green.

also, how many golfers do you think are actually playing the appropriate tees?!?

Not many, given the type of clubs they are hitting into most greens. But, as someone opined earlier, there is a lot of ego involved in golf.

You must play with some real hacks then. I probably play with 100 different players a year, and while there are a handful that are truly bad, the vast majority can get off the tee decently, albeit not particularly long, and hit an approach that is within wedge distance to the green. Where they hurt is getting up and down, or on with a two putt for bogie.

Not many, given the type of clubs they are hitting into most greens. But, as someone opined earlier, there is a lot of ego involved in golf.

Who determines what are the "correct" clubs to be hitting into greens? Some people relish the challenge of a course where they do hit longer clubs for approaches. People satisfy their egos in different ways, it's just as much ego driven to play the forward tees so the final score will be lower.

Who determines what are the "correct" clubs to be hitting into greens? Some people relish the challenge of a course where they do hit longer clubs for approaches. People satisfy their egos in different ways, it's just as much ego driven to play the forward tees so the final score will be lower.

I suppose, but I see more people frustrated with not reaching greens and posting higher scores than relishing the challenge of hitting fairway woods and hybrids into most greens...usually the opposite. If you watch professionals play they do much better hitting an iron into the green than a fairway wood.

There are no "correct" tees to play. While I have never seen a golfer play the forward tees to assuage their ego, I have seen plenty play the back tees to do so. If people want to make a difficult game more difficult that's their choice.

Some people think the only correct clubs to be playing into greens are wedges and short irons. The reality is a great course design is one where you hit every club in your bag. Some par 3's you're hitting long irons/hybrids and others wedges, etc. The same for par 4's.

Some people think the only correct clubs to be playing into greens are wedges and short irons. The reality is a great course design is one where you hit every club in your bag. Some par 3's you're hitting long irons/hybrids and others wedges, etc. The same for par 4's.

Agreed ... if you're hitting only short irons & wedges into holes, move back a tee or maybe two.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I don't know anyone who suggested golfers should be hitting short irons/wedges into every green. Be kinda boring.

Strange. I played 6 rounds last week on courses ranging from 5798 to 6670, and I swear I hit every club in my bag. I guess I have to check the lofts on my hybrids, because they must be playing at 56 degrees if I was hitting them into the long par 4's and par 3's.

Anyone playing a course that's 6400 yards and hitting less than 8 iron into every green must be playing on a really poorly designed course.

Based on my handicap I'd be termed a "bogey golfer" but darned if I make many bogeys. Last weekend I shot 88 and 92 for my two rounds and made a total of five bogeys out of 36 holes. I'm not a "bogey golfer", I'm a "pars and doubles golfer"!

Doubles are round killers. Gotta take your medicine at times and play for bogey, while still giving yourself a chance at par. Forget the miracle shots unless you can pull them off 80% of the time. Near the green, the primary focus has got to be getting it on the green. It's nice to get up and down for par, but one can't blade it over the green, or chunk it three feet, and wind up with a double or worse.

This made me giggle. That's a pretty high standard for "miracles"...

Unless it's match play, don't go for the miracle lol.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I don't know anyone who suggested golfers should be hitting short irons/wedges into every green. Be kinda boring.

Strange. I played 6 rounds last week on courses ranging from 5798 to 6670, and I swear I hit every club in my bag. I guess I have to check the lofts on my hybrids, because they must be playing at 56 degrees if I was hitting them into the long par 4's and par 3's.

Anyone playing a course that's 6400 yards and hitting less than 8 iron into every green must be playing on a really poorly designed course.

6400 yards is short if you are hitting driver 250-260. Sure there will be one or two par3 that's 180-190 on that course but majority of the par4 will be 350-380. The par 5 will range from 470-520.

So it really does depend on your driving distance. Most 6400 yard courses can be over powered.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Game golf "averages" are not even close to accurate. It can't take into account if someone hits a punch shot or if the wind is blowing. Same reason it says I hit my 5,6, and 7 all go about the same "average" distance. My driver is 291 according to gamegolf and I get airmailed alot by people I play with and some of their averages are lower cause some of their drives end up in hazards.... It even has a couple of my shortest drives being 175,176 cause of the same hazard line I crossed for a drop.

Game golf "averages" are not even close to accurate. It can't take into account if someone hits a punch shot or if the wind is blowing. Same reason it says I hit my 5,6, and 7 all go about the same "average" distance. My driver is 291 according to gamegolf and I get airmailed alot by people I play with and some of their averages are lower cause some of their drives end up in hazards.... It even has a couple of my shortest drives being 175,176 cause of the same hazard line I crossed for a drop.

Well what they're doing is OK for a certain definition of "driving distance" but even after they attempt to avoid outlier values and so forth it's still subject to some things which don't really average out. In theory (their theory, as deduced by myself from the numbers they end up with) if everyone's bad drives, drops after penalties, etc. are counted then you can compare Game Golf "driving distance" across groups of people and everything will average out.

In reality I agree with you. There are some people for whom a drop after failing to carry a hazard will never, ever happen and other people for whom that might happen once or twice a round quite regularly. Still, I'm pretty comfortable with their "driving distance" metric as long as I know it's basically counting shots that go in hazards or hit trees or whatever as bad drives that lower your average. That's not an unrealistic definition and probably more related to your scoring results than a different definition along the lines of how far do I hit my driver when I catch it well and put it in the fairway. That is actually a fairly useless stat to accumulate over many rounds.

Now on iron shots, their averages are just messed up. As you say, regardless of what they say about ignoring outliers and cleaning up the data before calculating averages I've noticed that they are mixing in all those 8-iron chip shots, 8-iron punches out of the trees, etc. right along side the 8-iron full swing approach shots. That's just bogus. When I used to use Game Golf I pretty much had to select specific shots and calculate my own averages to figure out my club distances under normal circumstances. Which is waaaaay to much work after the fact after I've already gone to the trouble of tagging each shot and downloading each round.

P.S. For my own self-study purposes, the number I really want to know is "how much closer to the hole do I end up on average when I hit driver?". So I just laser the flag from the tee and again when I get to my ball in the fairway, rough, woods, whatever. That "net driving distance" is the most useful number to track in my opinion. If I hit a shot that travels 220 yards but it's so offline I'm only 195 yards closer to the green (not as unusual in my game as you might think!) that 195 is the number I need to improve, not the 220.

Well what they're doing is OK for a certain definition of "driving distance" but even after they attempt to avoid outlier values and so forth it's still subject to some things which don't really average out. In theory (their theory, as deduced by myself from the numbers they end up with) if everyone's bad drives, drops after penalties, etc. are counted then you can compare Game Golf "driving distance" across groups of people and everything will average out.

In reality I agree with you. There are some people for whom a drop after failing to carry a hazard will never, ever happen and other people for whom that might happen once or twice a round quite regularly. Still, I'm pretty comfortable with their "driving distance" metric as long as I know it's basically counting shots that go in hazards or hit trees or whatever as bad drives that lower your average. That's not an unrealistic definition and probably more related to your scoring results than a different definition along the lines of how far do I hit my driver when I catch it well and put it in the fairway. That is actually a fairly useless stat to accumulate over many rounds.

Now on iron shots, their averages are just messed up. As you say, regardless of what they say about ignoring outliers and cleaning up the data before calculating averages I've noticed that they are mixing in all those 8-iron chip shots, 8-iron punches out of the trees, etc. right along side the 8-iron full swing approach shots. That's just bogus. When I used to use Game Golf I pretty much had to select specific shots and calculate my own averages to figure out my club distances under normal circumstances. Which is waaaaay to much work after the fact after I've already gone to the trouble of tagging each shot and downloading each round.

P.S. For my own self-study purposes, the number I really want to know is "how much closer to the hole do I end up on average when I hit driver?". So I just laser the flag from the tee and again when I get to my ball in the fairway, rough, woods, whatever. That "net driving distance" is the most useful number to track in my opinion. If I hit a shot that travels 220 yards but it's so offline I'm only 195 yards closer to the green (not as unusual in my game as you might think!) that 195 is the number I need to improve, not the 220.

This is one of the reasons I like Broadie's work in "Every Shot Counts." Proximity to the hole is the biggest determinant in how many strokes it will take you to hole out.

Side note, I use GolfPad GPS and I believe it allows you to delete or re-classify less than full shots if you choose. And worst case, I can just create a dummy club called "not full swing" or something like that, and choose that club whenever I'm hitting a less than full shot. Lump 'em all together since that data isn't particularly useful.

Had a good lesson in why I'm happy to be a short hitter last night. Four of us playing 9 holes - three young un's and me at 50.

They pretty much all hit their clubs 50% further than me. It being the shorter front nine they only used their drivers once. A couple of the par fours were 'on in one' for them and at the second par three which is 130 yards they used a PW and I used an 8 iron. But I damn near won it (or would've if we were scoring). Two of them managed to find a lot of trouble and were a bit shaky at putting. The chap who won it only just did so because he ran off the back of a couple of holes and had a couple of miss-hits that nearly went OB. I just bimbled round with three pars, a few bogeys and a couple of double bogeys. Nothing much went wrong for me other than a couple of missed putts.

I reckon it might have been a different score on the back 9 though as that's the longer half, but we were running out of light. What a shame :D

population averages aside. how do they measure each golfers average distance? if you put them on a monitor hitting 10 balls, the handicap golfer hits so many flubs that their "average" distance is not really a true reflection of the expected distance output from their swing.

Well if you hit 10 shots on a monitor and lots are miss hits when you go on the course you will do the same. The average distance has to take these things into account.

Unfortunately this isn't how averages work. Using this analogy if someone hits 5 reasoble 7 irons of say 150 yards and 5 'flubs' of 50 yards, this gives an average of 100 yards. So using your analogy you would use a seven iron for a 100 yard shot which, if hit reasonably well is going to be massive. This is a very dodgy use of averages and is like saying the average human has one breast and one testicle.

Why does everyone keep saying averages? For cryin out loud, they're using median distances.

I cant remember the tee box distance calcs. Not sure but I think its somewhere around 24 or 22.

If the player hits driver 300 yrd average then multiply by 24 = playing from around the 7200 yrd tee box markers.

250 yard drive = 6000 yrd tees

200 yard drive = 4800 yrd tees

Distance is a state of mind built upon ego & bragging rights. Most amateur players dont play from the correct tee boxes. IMO if your hitting driver 200 yrds then you should be playing from 4800 - 5200 yrd tees. Its a much more enjoyable game while your learning w/o distance pressure & tension added to play. The player should move back once their skills justify the move.

Theres nothing more frustrating than players in front playing from the wrong tees. Guys using 7 or 8 strokes on every hole. It makes for a slow round of play.

I think this equation should be one of the first lessons taught to new players.

Why does everyone keep saying averages? For cryin out loud, they're using median distances.

Because the geniuses at Golf Digest chose to include "Average" in the title of their article. So it's on the tip of everyone's tongue.

However, they were using it to describe the golfers, not the distances that were measured.

Definitions include:

• of the usual or ordinary standard, level, or quantity
  • having qualities that are seen as typical of a particular person or thing
  • mediocre; not very good

I'm the third definition of "Average."

:)

Because the geniuses at Golf Digest chose to include "Average" in the title of their article. So it's on the tip of everyone's tongue.

However, they were using it to describe the golfers, not the distances that were measured.

Definitions include:

• of the usual or ordinary standard, level, or quantity
  • having qualities that are seen as typical of a particular person or thing
  • mediocre; not very good

I'm the third definition of "Average."

:)

Lol.

“Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch.” — Ty Webb

I cant remember the tee box distance calcs. Not sure but I think its somewhere around 24 or 22.

If the player hits driver 300 yrd average then multiply by 24 = playing from around the 7200 yrd tee box markers.

250 yard drive = 6000 yrd tees

200 yard drive = 4800 yrd tees

Distance is a state of mind built upon ego & bragging rights. Most amateur players dont play from the correct tee boxes. IMO if your hitting driver 200 yrds then you should be playing from 4800 - 5200 yrd tees. Its a much more enjoyable game while your learning w/o distance pressure & tension added to play. The player should move back once their skills justify the move.

Theres nothing more frustrating than players in front playing from the wrong tees. Guys using 7 or 8 strokes on every hole. It makes for a slow round of play.

I think this equation should be one of the first lessons taught to new players.

Those may be guidelines, but have a look at this scorecard. If you played from the Middle tees from 6,011 yards, a guy driving it

250 would have PW or less into all of the par 4s. The Blue or even the Orange tees would be more appropriate.

http://downloads.sky...=1&t=1492613260

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini