2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

So How Far Do Average Golfers Really Hit the Ball?

Sean2

I'd take a bet with nearly anyone I see on the range that they won't hit their 150 yard club to the 150 yard marker 7 out of 10 times. They will be short 70 to 80% of the time. I see it every day. Even out on the course with good golfers (5-10 handicaps), they are generally short of the green or flag on approaches.

It's because they have in their brain that the 7 iron is their full swing 150 club and that's what they hit from that yardage with a full swing. The problem is they can't hit a full swing 7 iron consistently 150. BUT - if they stood at 150 yards and swung a nice easy or 3/4 swing 6 iron they'd be on the green much more often. BUT most people don't have that ability to hit a 6 iron with a 30-40 yard spread. They have the 1 number in their brain that the 7 iron swing goes 150 and that's that. Most people NEVER practice hitting a 7 iron 120 yards even though it would be the best practice they ever did. I can't remember but once or twice in the last 3 rounds that I hit a full swing anything, except driver. I'm much more accurate with partial shots. I subscribe to Daly's "How far do you want me to hit it?" Every club in the bag has about a 50 yard range of distance.

As a result 80% of all golfers come up short of the green, period!!

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take a bet with nearly anyone I see on the range that they won't hit their 150 yard club to the 150 yard marker 7 out of 10 times. They will be short 70 to 80% of the time. I see it every day. Even out on the course with good golfers (5-10 handicaps), they are generally short of the green or flag on approaches.

It's because they have in their brain that the 7 iron is their full swing 150 club and that's what they hit from that yardage with a full swing. The problem is they can't hit a full swing 7 iron consistently 150. BUT - if they stood at 150 yards and swung a nice easy or 3/4 swing 6 iron they'd be on the green much more often. BUT most people don't have that ability to hit a 6 iron with a 30-40 yard spread. They have the 1 number in their brain that the 7 iron swing goes 150 and that's that. Most people NEVER practice hitting a 7 iron 120 yards even though it would be the best practice they ever did. I can't remember but once or twice in the last 3 rounds that I hit a full swing anything, except driver. I'm much more accurate with partial shots. I subscribe to Daly's "How far do you want me to hit it?" Every club in the bag has about a 50 yard range of distance.

Another factor, I think, is that most ams don't really know their carry distances, so that 150 7 iron is really 139 or 141. I know I struggle with carry distances, especially this time of year, because I don't play for a living. It's not the easiest data to gather on your own, and factors like cold and wind have a significant impact.

I definitely agree, though, that coming up short is the most common problem players have on their approach shots. I rangered for about 8 years, and like you, I knew the safest place on the golf course was the back-center of the green.

Another factor, I think, is that most ams don't really know their carry distances, so that 150 7 iron is really 139 or 141. I know I struggle with carry distances, especially this time of year, because I don't play for a living. It's not the easiest data to gather on your own, and factors like cold and wind have a significant impact.

I definitely agree, though, that coming up short is the most common problem players have on their approach shots. I rangered for about 8 years, and like you, I knew the safest place on the golf course was the back-center of the green.

On some courses you can roll the ball onto the green and be ok. On the majority of our 27 holes you can't do that. It's all carry or nothing. The greens are 1930's style pedestals and then we over seed the approaches and water the heck out of them. You hit it short expecting it to roll or bounce and you'll be wrong.

Add in no rain for the last 2 months and the greens are hard and fast. Most people hitting a long iron or hybrid will not hold the green.

So high handicappers who have no idea of how far their 7-iron goes with their stock full swing ought to somehow go out and teach themselves to hit a consistent distance with a 3/4 swing? What's the assumption there, that they normally rear back and swing like a gorilla on every iron shot?

I do occasionally see golfers who swing out of their shoes at every shot, with every club, no matter what. And sure they'd benefit from learning to stop before parallel and keep their feet on the ground when swinging a 7-iron. But that's a very tiny minority of these supposed high handicappers who always, no matter what come up 2-3 clubs short because they think they hit their irons 25 yards farther than they really do.

Who cares what the average golfer does? I have no desire to be average.

Good for you. But you've just dismissed the majority of golfers without whom your precious courses would probably close. There's not enough of you and your kind to keep any but a handful of clubs going. And here's the thing - if you know your maths you'll know that even without us 'average Joes' playing..there will always be average players only now it'll probably be you.

With us playing on the course at least you have someone to sneer at and feel superior to. A little politeness and consideration helps us all to get along. It's not like golf can afford to alienate any practitioners right now.

So high handicappers who have no idea of how far their 7-iron goes with their stock full swing ought to somehow go out and teach themselves to hit a consistent distance with a 3/4 swing? What's the assumption there, that they normally rear back and swing like a gorilla on every iron shot?

I do occasionally see golfers who swing out of their shoes at every shot, with every club, no matter what. And sure they'd benefit from learning to stop before parallel and keep their feet on the ground when swinging a 7-iron. But that's a very tiny minority of these supposed high handicappers who always, no matter what come up 2-3 clubs short because they think they hit their irons 25 yards farther than they really do.

A full swing is not necessarily "out of your shoes". It's your stock full swing, whatever that may be. That swing can be easy, hard, fast, quick, not parallel, past parallel, slow whatever their stock shot is. If you want to lower your cap and hit more greens learn how to hit any iron any distance within 50 yards of your stock shot. You'll be very surprised when your swing gets better with less effort and accuracy increases. Will you automatically lower your cap to zero, no, will you be a pro next week, no, but you will make better contact and therefore be more accurate.

Who cares what the average golfer does? I have no desire to be average.

Good for you. But you've just dismissed the majority of golfers without whom your precious courses would probably close. There's not enough of you and your kind to keep any but a handful of clubs going. And here's the thing - if you know your maths you'll know that even without us 'average Joes' playing..there will always be average players only now it'll probably be you.

With us playing on the course at least you have someone to sneer at and feel superior to. A little politeness and consideration helps us all to get along. It's not like golf can afford to alienate any practitioners right now.

What??? All I meant was I really don't care how far the avg golfer hits the ball. It seems like a pointless debate to me. That's a far stretch from feeling superior to anyone.

Just 4 holes on my course where it is "better" to be too long than short. 2 Par 3's have creeks 4-5 yards in front of the green...but both these holes have big trouble over the back also. Both these greens are quite deep so you really have to miss hit long to get in trouble long, miss hit short though and into creek you go. 2 long par 4's have sand traps pretty much the full width of the green but they are such long 2nd shots for me I rarely hit it far enough to get to them anyway. However, always worry about making too good a swing on these holes so aim right and rely on a good chip/putt for par-live with bogey.

In my case, on my home course, I pretty much know what club to hit from where to get to the middle of the green (where possible) with a good swing. A miss hit short is far more preferable on 14 of 18 holes.

On to the topic, I know approximately how far I hit each each club with a decent swing. But with frequent less than perfect strikes does it really matter?

Everything missing dead centre or sweet spot is a mishit, i wasn't talking about duffed shots. if I shanked a 7 iron and hit a bin 15 yards away I'm obviously going to discount it. Over a period of time most golfers know how far they hit the ball. I was presuming a certain amount of common sense would be used.

80% of golfers sits at the 18-36 handicap and then the majority of golfers in the world would likely, not know their distances at all.

so "most golfers" isnt correct.

I have played with loads of high handicappers as well as single digit guys and completely disagree with that comment, maybe the guys you play with are dafter than the ones I do

Everything missing dead centre or sweet spot is a mishit, i wasn't talking about duffed shots. if I shanked a 7 iron and hit a bin 15 yards away I'm obviously going to discount it. Over a period of time most golfers know how far they hit the ball. I was presuming a certain amount of common sense would be used.

80% of golfers sits at the 18-36 handicap and then the majority of golfers in the world would likely, not know their distances at all.

I have played with loads of high handicappers as well as single digit guys and completely disagree with that comment, maybe the guys you play with are dafter than the ones I do

The majority of people I play golf with have a pretty good idea of how far they hit the ball when making normal, solid contact. And that includes the plus 30 handicapper that plays in our group.

Most of the time when someone in our group comes up short, it is because we misjudged the wind or the slope or because we mishit it.

As a short knocker, relatively speaking (230 average), I'd KILL for another 20 yards. I have no doubt I'd be a + handicap if I retained my current accuracy (about 80% fairways hit).

So let's do the math. What's your current index and your low of the last 12 months?

If you hit the ball 20 yards farther, on average, you are effectively shortening the course by 280 yards (14 driver holes x 20), right? That would equate to about a two stroke difference in your score, if I'm not mistaken. :-)

This is pretty much right on from my experience of playing in our member-guest Shamble format with my son. He hits 40 yards longer than me and I usually will shoot 3-5 strokes lower than I do off my own ball.

We had a period a few years back when repairs were being done on our fairway irrigation system. From late summer right through the fall (which was also during a severe drought) the fairways were rock-hard instead of their usual lush, overwatered slow conditions. Everyone I play with saw about three shots drop off their handicap index during those four months. Balls that normally plug or stop a few feet from where they land were running 20, 30, 40 yards. That extra distance was a massive score-lowering effect.

I think an over arching problem with golf is that the cure for distance is being sold with technology. That the industry is too reliant on equipment sales and that PGA professionals on some level abandoned their role as teaching a skill that requires the discipline and the patience someone needs to become an authentic black belt in the martial arts. If the Industry went more in that direction, sold the game as a skill set to aspire to instead of as a game "anyone can play, just buy this" average yardages would go way up.

Distance, for me at least, has been very important. I've been doing overspeed training and have added 10+mph to my swing and my scoring average is dropping quickly. The biggest thing is being able to choke down and hit my bunt/controlled/fairway finder driver shot and still get it out there 280ish (after rollout), when that used to be a 245-250 shot for me. When a hole is more open, I can tee it higher, go to the end of the grip and carry it out there up to 280, so I'll see drives in the 300-320 range after rollout. It's turned a lot of par 5s into longer par 4s for me, many of them just a solid drive and long iron. It's almost a guarantee that I'll birdie 2/4 par 5's most rounds now. 195-215 yard par 3s are no longer so overwhelming either.

But added distance hasn't helped my wedge game. That still sucks. :)

I am coming around to your philosophy on club selection; but for me personally, there are a couple challenges I need to overcome:

1. Two of the most formative golf books I read as a junior golfer were "The Little Green/Red Book" by Harvey Penick. He preached swinging hard with less club vs swinging softer with more club. Maybe I need therapy to unlearn this.

2. I'm in my late 30's, and am not lifting heavy weights in the gym 3+ times per week like I did in my 20's. Every year that goes by, the yardages in my head of what I think I should be hitting creep further and further away. That's a tough pill to swallow. I'm sure I'm not alone.

So my goal this year is to select my clubs logically and not based on ego or any ingrained doctrine learned 20-25 years ago. And maybe I need to get my butt to the gym!

2. I'm in my late 30's, and am not lifting heavy weights in the gym 3+ times per week like I did in my 20's. Every year that goes by, the yardages in my head of what I think I should be hitting creep further and further away. That's a tough pill to swallow. I'm sure I'm not alone.

So my goal this year is to select my clubs logically and not based on ego or any ingrained doctrine learned 20-25 years ago. And maybe I need to get my butt to the gym!

I'm in the same age range (knocking on 40) and experienced the same distance leak over the past 5-6 years. Overspeed training has brought back what I had lost and then some. I've been playing golf for 25 years and this is the longest I've ever hit the ball, so age isn't quite the impediment I thought it was. At least, certainly not at our age. And I continued to lift in the gym pretty consistently over the past 15 years. That never bought me added speed. I just assumed I just wasn't capable of swinging faster, but the overspeed training has really worked.

The 9-10 mentioned at my club are the ones I know - there could be more. And ridiculous to think these guys can't play ... most of them are retired or semi-retired, empty nesters, and all they do is play.

You're making a blanket statement as if I said that when I did not... re-read the words. I know guys in the 60's that play good golf... But they are NOT anywhere near large in numbers or percentage, or common, when compared to all single digit or better golfer total. Read the chart, and its doesn't deal with age categories. http://bit.ly/2pIleo9

Was I quoting you or someone else ? No one said that low handicap seniors were in the majority. The chart says anywhere from 13% - 17% less than around 6 cap.

My club has 400 members meaning that around 50-60 would be under 6. And let's say that seniors are 40% of the membership. 40% of 50-60 is around 20-24.

And it depends on the course ... I can guarantee there's more low caps at a course like Oakmont than your typical CC.

Earlier I referenced "tournament" clubs, which meant courses that host big events, maybe tour level. They will have more competitive and single digit golfers, partly because those courses tend to be more difficult. However, I still don't agree with your OA single digit math assumptions. Demographics and club charter makeup plays a large roll in who clubs attract.

I travel and play in at private clubs over five states. As I said earlier, spent many years playing inter-club team golf over a large region; where our clubs either hosted a weekly team or we traveled to competing club, over the region. If a private club participated in team golf, typically their best golfers were on their team. Most teams had only a few single digit golfers, even less senior single digit, and most had no "+" golfers. If a club fielded a team or two, typically they had near full membership rosters.

If your a member of a private club check with club leadership to see if they subscribe NCA, and get their newsletter. NCA provides all sorts of national private club stats, management and membership assistance, etc. Have a good day.

Why is unreasonable to think 20 out of 400 golfers are seniors with a cap less than 5 ?

Don't need the NCA or whatever that is to look at the handicaps actually posted in the club house. Good for you on your traveling golf, but there are plenty of seniors at all of the clubs you played with that don't play inter-club golf and have less than 5 caps. A lot of them just prefer their buddies that they play with week in and week out.

Its an assumption that doesn't apply across the nation at all clubs. Like fake news. Have a good day, I am done.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I am coming around to your philosophy on club selection; but for me personally, there are a couple challenges I need to overcome:

1. Two of the most formative golf books I read as a junior golfer were "The Little Green/Red Book" by Harvey Penick. He preached swinging hard with less club vs swinging softer with more club. Maybe I need therapy to unlearn this.

Aquila...wait until you hit 70 yrs. For me, that 150 yard smooth 7i to a green that looked like it was huge and just a few steps from the tee box now looks like it's 5 miles away and about the size of a thimble LOL. So moved up to the whites at 138 for that hole and have to hit a hard 7i to get there. Embarrassing to admit (by WRX 180 yard 7i standards), but unless one keeps himself in good shape (I didn't) distance loss is inevitable.

Hey RBI, why bother posting when you could make a 10 minute video disproving the statement? Thought that was your thing?

Aquila...wait until you hit 70 yrs. For me, that 150 yard smooth 7i to a green that looked like it was huge and just a few steps from the tee box now looks like it's 5 miles away and about the size of a thimble LOL. So moved up to the whites at 138 for that hole and have to hit a hard 7i to get there. Embarrassing to admit (by WRX 180 yard 7i standards), but unless one keeps himself in good shape (I didn't) distance loss is inevitable.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You're still playing the game, and those youngsters of today will be 70 sooner than they realize. :-)

And, even if you stay in shape, you will see a loss in distance. Look at the Champions Tour, most of those guys don't hit it as far as they used to.

And, no matter how much you read, you will probably end up needing glasses too! ;-)

Thanks Dave, I like to play the tees that give me a reasonable chance to make a par.

I know there is a lot of doubt about some of the launch monitors vs conditions on the course and so I dont relate to launch monitors very well.

But my Game Golf is a pretty good on course tracker and thats where I get my average distances from. Its made a huge improvement on my club selection. Im much more likely now to hit a club that will get me there, than in the past. That thing will humble a man! haha.

I'll admit it, I'm a short knocker. If I strike my driver really well, I get about a 230 carry and if Im lucky, I'll get 10 extra yards rollout on it. If I were a lot younger, I could probably hit it farther. But no use in crying over spilled milk.

Actually Dave, you are above average if you believe some of the technology that actually tracks how far drives are hit. But just have fun, play the tees you want, don't listen to Sam's mouthpiece and enjoy the awesome game!

finleysg wrote: "Another factor, I think, is that most ams don't really know their carry distances, so that 150 7 iron is really 139 or 141. I know I struggle with carry distances, especially this time of year, because I don't play for a living. It's not the easiest data to gather on your own, and factors like cold and wind have a significant impact.

IMO everyone should strive to know their carry distance with each club. You will then be able to approach each shot with confidence depending upon the situation. If you (or one of your buddies) own a range finder figuring out your max carry distance is rather simple. My home course is usually pretty deserted on Saturday and Sunday evenings, so that's when I will work on figuring out carry distance. The other benefit of doing this late in the day is any wind has usually laid down substantially, or will be non existent. Find a spot in the fairway you would like to hit a designated iron into the green. Next, go ahead and laser the flag so you know the exact distance. Pick out an ideal lie and stance so you have the best possible opportunity of making good solid contact. Drop down a few balls and proceed to hit until you make solid contact with 1 shot. Make a mental note of approximately where the ball landed. Head up to the green and find the exact spot where the ball hit. You can then add or subtract the necessary yardage from the flag to arrive at your carry distance with that iron. You can then add or subtract yardage during future rounds to compensate for wind, cold, heat, uphill or downhill green locations, or a day when you are just not hitting the ball solidly.

I'm a sub 5 handicap (3), 39 years old and as much as I HATE it lack the distance and power to be a very good player among other things missing.

I'm capable of hitting one out there 250+ but it's not the norm. I avg 230-240 carry on a TrackMan and 250 total or so.

I hit my 8 iron 145 and PW 125.

I do play with some guys regularly who I give up 20 yards to on the tee. But I can still beat them regularly.

What's the strength in your game that has you regularly beating them?

ROLL TIDE!

I certainly don't always beat them and I'm not a great putter by any stretch but I tend to hit a lot of fairways and miss the ball in front of me rather than left and right. That helps a lot to not make doubles...

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago