2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger - Another Back Surgery, Out at Least 6 Months

acy274

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes you wonder if prior surgeries are not getting the job done, thus requiring additional procedures. Or if his quest to play golf at a high level are creating new issues that have to be fixed. I sincerely hope it's not the latter. Tiger has nothing left to prove, and no one wants to see him watching the ceremonial tee shots at ANGC from a wheel chair.

Its quite possible. I grew up with an ex nhl player who had major knee surgery at the end of his career. His right leg because of multiple knee surgeries is 1" shorter than the other leg. This led to foot problems which led to hip problems which led to back problems which led to nerve problems and sciatica issues. He had to retire because of these issues but pushing through them definitely caused other problems so you could be right.

You grew up with an ex-NHL player?!! Kid must have been a beast. How in the world did he keep up his school work with the rigors of travel and all? :D :D :D

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

It makes you wonder if prior surgeries are not getting the job done, thus requiring additional procedures. Or if his quest to play golf at a high level are creating new issues that have to be fixed. I sincerely hope it's not the latter. Tiger has nothing left to prove, and no one wants to see him watching the ceremonial tee shots at ANGC from a wheel chair.

Its quite possible. I grew up with an ex nhl player who had major knee surgery at the end of his career. His right leg because of multiple knee surgeries is 1" shorter than the other leg. This led to foot problems which led to hip problems which led to back problems which led to nerve problems and sciatica issues. He had to retire because of these issues but pushing through them definitely caused other problems so you could be right.

You grew up with an ex-NHL player?!! Kid must have been a beast. How in the world did he keep up his school work with the rigors of travel and all? :D :D :D

Obviously bad wording but Funny enough he went to an ivy league school and played hockey for one!

Four back surgeries makes me wonder about physical therapy, doctors he is consulting, rushed back to early a couple of times. Obviously he has a degenerating back where it appears the golf swing continues to damage the area. Hope he retires and enjoys his kids. Fusion aside, this is the first time he has mentioned leg pain, which is not good. Next up is wearing Depends because he has no control of his bowels. So years of running 30 miles a week on uneven surfaces, lifting weights for upper body (while ignoring legs etc. stupid be like earl training have come home to roost.., Been a fan of his game, but never him off the course, but now you have to feel sorry for him at age 41 with more surgeries than a 70 year old man.

. Luckily, no matter how bad it got Freddy never succumbed to the knife...

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

Yeah, like I said the last time you typed this same sentiment, Woods back episodes are planned so it appears to people like you that he is lying. And then there`s the lie of changing his mind about having surgery once again rather than live in an excruciatingly painful retirement. In the same situation, I just know you would choose the latter course.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

If it's any consolation to his fans, it looks like he will surpass 18 surgeries.

He doesn`t need to do that, I don`t believe. I think he already owns the record for most back surgeries by a PGA tour player.......

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

If ever you are up this way, please stop by and allow me to buy you a beer., if for no other reason than simply, you get it!

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

Not to defend a man I don't like, but people do change their minds. This was probably a quality of life decision as well. Having spine issues is awful. I know this first hand.

Amen ! I don't care what he's done that ruffles the snowflakes feathers. He's a human. And I feel sorry for him on some level.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

So this means several more hours of air time for that Dr on Golf Channel.

His name escapes me...

You can say that until your leg goes numb or has shooting nerve pain down to your toes.

My wife had C5-C6 spinal fusion surgery on Tuesday because her right arm was stuck between shooting pain and complete numbness. She was at the point where she couldn't lift her right arm above her head.

She's obviously not a professional athlete and had to have the surgery to simply return to normal life.

Hope she feels better and returns to normal soon.

Thank you! I am thrilled to report she came out of the surgery 100% pain free and had full mobility in her arm immediately. She's only 29 and the nerve wasn't compressed long enough to create permanent damage. She had a severe bulged disc which was compressing 2 nerves and actually manipulating her spinal cord a little. Surgery was successful. Obviously looking further down the road, she will have to more surgeries to fuse above/below discs but the hope is that she can make it 15-20 years (10 to 15 is more realistic). She was to the point where she couldn't squeeze a shampoo bottle and have shampoo come out. Checked her into the ER Monday, Surgery Tuesday, home Wednesday and she's already out walking around the block.

Very cool. My pinched nerve is in that c6, c7, t1 area. It was pinched for two months before I noticed anything. Out of the blue, I was awaked by the worst pain imaginable in my left tricep. I went to the doctor and was told I had a pinched nerve. I opted for physical therapy. That was a year ago. I still have a little tingle in my left tricep. The worst part is my arm is about 50% as strong as it was before the injury. I'm still working on the strength aspect, but my doctor has said the weakness is probably permanent.

Wow! Hopefully it works! I feel bad for the guy, to once be the most feared guy in a tournament to not being able to play at all has to really screw with a person. He obviously wants to keep playing golf, because he keeps swinging a club. I hope he does get back, he draws people to the game.

It will affect his mobility but L5-S1 is already limited so shouldn't be too bad for the golf swing.

I have quite a bit of experience with these surgeries. He tried the less invasive surgeries first which makes sense. You do NOT want to have a fusion if you can avoid it. 6 month recovery is fantasy land. He might start swinging at 6 months but there is ZERO chance he is playing high tour level in 6 months. Once you have this surgery there is a always the possibility that the level above L5-S1 will be a problem. In January he will be 42. At this point it's awfully hard to believe he's not done.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Wow! Hopefully it works! I feel bad for the guy, to once be the most feared guy in a tournament to not being able to play at all has to really screw with a person. He obviously wants to keep playing golf, because he keeps swinging a club. I hope he does get back, he draws people to the game.

It will affect his mobility but L5-S1 is already limited so shouldn't be too bad for the golf swing.

for him, its a death sentence for golf with his mechanics.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

I have quite a bit of experience with these surgeries. He tried the less invasive surgeries first which makes sense. You do NOT want to have a fusion if you can avoid it. 6 month recovery is fantasy land. He might start swinging at 6 months but there is ZERO chance he is playing high tour level in 6 months. Once you have this surgery there is a always the possibility that the level above L5-S1 will be a problem. In January he will be 42. At this point it's awfully hard to believe he's not done.

So Masters '18!

Didn't DLIII have some vertebrae fused a few years ago? He's mostly competitive

Davis had a two level neck fusion. Sounds bad but his doctor actually commented that "it will affect his snowboarding more than his golf." Also broke his collarbone and had hip surgery. No lower back though.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Maybe Tiger needs to find another back surgeon, his current guy isn't getting the job done

Given Tiger's history with Dr's orders, I'm going to guess that the surgeon isn't the one at fault here.

Wishing TW a healthy recovery and as much a pain-free life as is currently possible! Fusion and golf don't go well together, but as some have said, at least it's L5/S1. 4 spinal surgeries though....yikes.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

So Masters '18!

Thats what Im talking about.

Shows how close Notah Begay is to him these days. Unfortunately I think he will keep up the facade even if he can't play again because of the TaylorMade deal

no kidding.....talk about fake news.....his purpose on The Golf Channel is the resident Tiger updater and has he ever been correct?? you don't go from progressing well and going to be tournament ready by the US Open to a fusion......especially when legitimate people like Steve Stricker and Mark O'meara are out there saying he isn't doing well and its a day to day thing

and I am a huge Tiger fan, always have been....still love watching him hit a ball (don't care his score just love watching him play) but why all the people feeling bad for him??? he did all of this to himself with the lifestyle he chose to live with the crazy workouts and lifts and constantly making swing changes.....people never talk about the affect of the swing changes and what that does to your back with all the thousands and thousands of extra work he put in to become 4 of the greatest golfers of all time with his 4 professional swing transformations.......He lived his life the way he wanted with every opportunity in the world...but everything we do has consequences

get well soon...I'd be a fan if he turns into a pro mini Golfer and competes in the Windmill World Championships

Amen ! I don't care what he's done that ruffles the snowflakes feathers. He's a human. And I feel sorry for him on some level.

Exactly! I dont like anybody having surgery ever. One or 2 people obviously trolling but I truly believe 99% of people wish him good health. Who cares about golf if lifting your kids in your arms sends lightning bolts down your leg. Lets hope this helps his pain and quality of life. Who knows maybe he does some TV in a few months for fun to kill time. He just needs to let people in a litlle and take in all the well wishers, nothing wrong with that.

His arrogance and attitude and how his true character conflicted greatly with what he (even moreso his father) projected, makes him an incredibly easy target.

Add on the fact that every time he sneezes he becomes to the lead story for 3 days.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't hate woods. But it's easy to see why there's a segment of the population that's begging for the topic to die, and since it won't die they vocalize how much they don't like him/don't care/etc.

I can't really think of a time since the downfall started where he handled himself with any sort of humility or grace, which would appeal to people.