2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger - Another Back Surgery, Out at Least 6 Months

acy274

So this means several more hours of air time for that Dr on Golf Channel.

His name escapes me...

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

You can say that until your leg goes numb or has shooting nerve pain down to your toes.

My wife had C5-C6 spinal fusion surgery on Tuesday because her right arm was stuck between shooting pain and complete numbness. She was at the point where she couldn't lift her right arm above her head.

She's obviously not a professional athlete and had to have the surgery to simply return to normal life.

Hope she feels better and returns to normal soon.

Thank you! I am thrilled to report she came out of the surgery 100% pain free and had full mobility in her arm immediately. She's only 29 and the nerve wasn't compressed long enough to create permanent damage. She had a severe bulged disc which was compressing 2 nerves and actually manipulating her spinal cord a little. Surgery was successful. Obviously looking further down the road, she will have to more surgeries to fuse above/below discs but the hope is that she can make it 15-20 years (10 to 15 is more realistic). She was to the point where she couldn't squeeze a shampoo bottle and have shampoo come out. Checked her into the ER Monday, Surgery Tuesday, home Wednesday and she's already out walking around the block.

Very cool. My pinched nerve is in that c6, c7, t1 area. It was pinched for two months before I noticed anything. Out of the blue, I was awaked by the worst pain imaginable in my left tricep. I went to the doctor and was told I had a pinched nerve. I opted for physical therapy. That was a year ago. I still have a little tingle in my left tricep. The worst part is my arm is about 50% as strong as it was before the injury. I'm still working on the strength aspect, but my doctor has said the weakness is probably permanent.

Damn, man thats rough.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

His arrogance and attitude and how his true character conflicted greatly with what he (even moreso his father) projected, makes him an incredibly easy target.

Add on the fact that every time he sneezes he becomes to the lead story for 3 days.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't hate woods. But it's easy to see why there's a segment of the population that's begging for the topic to die, and since it won't die they vocalize how much they don't like him/don't care/etc.

I can't really think of a time since the downfall started where he handled himself with any sort of humility or grace, which would appeal to people.

He doesn`t owe anybody anything and he wasn`t put here for our pleasure. I hope in your judgement that you act with the humility and grace that you seem to expect from Woods.

Serious question. What did he say in that post that rubbed you the wrong way? In your view has he been the most approachable media friendly golf champion in your lifetime? despite being a legend he had/has a persona that rubbed people the wrong way, surely you see that right? You saying he doesnt owe us anything goes against what other golf greats have said their responsibility towards the game is. Its also suppose to silence any critcism. He is an athlete playing a sport for entertainement purposes therefore he gets the good from it but also the bad. Whats wrong with expecting a little grace and humility now when hes in the twilight of his career and has been for several years. Why would you object to that? Genuinely asking, no snark or sarcasm. Also on another note from what I read you had back surgery way back when in 84 unless i misread. How did that turn out for you? did it help hurt or did it lead to more procedures?

This might be the best post I've ever seen in a Tiger thread.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

His arrogance and attitude and how his true character conflicted greatly with what he (even moreso his father) projected, makes him an incredibly easy target.

Add on the fact that every time he sneezes he becomes to the lead story for 3 days.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't hate woods. But it's easy to see why there's a segment of the population that's begging for the topic to die, and since it won't die they vocalize how much they don't like him/don't care/etc.

I can't really think of a time since the downfall started where he handled himself with any sort of humility or grace, which would appeal to people.

He doesn`t owe anybody anything and he wasn`t put here for our pleasure. I hope in your judgement that you act with the humility and grace that you seem to expect from Woods.

Serious question. What did he say in that post that rubbed you the wrong way? In your view has he been the most approachable media friendly golf champion in your lifetime? despite being a legend he had/has a persona that rubbed people the wrong way, surely you see that right? You saying he doesnt owe us anything goes against what other golf greats have said their responsibility towards the game is. Its also suppose to silence any critcism. He is an athlete playing a sport for entertainement purposes therefore he gets the good from it but also the bad. Whats wrong with expecting a little grace and humility now when hes in the twilight of his career and has been for several years. Why would you object to that? Genuinely asking, no snark or sarcasm. Also on another note from what I read you had back surgery way back when in 84 unless i misread. How did that turn out for you? did it help hurt or did it lead to more procedures?

bolded for your pleasure.

You recall well. I had what was called back then a Discotomy ( Now discectomy?) and laminectomy, both new to Canada at the time. Until the surgery I often could not sit stand or lie down without searing indescribable pain coursing down my right leg. I had also developed what I call slap foot which ain`t pretty to watch.

Surgery was July 1, 1984. I played golf on September 4, my birthday, of the same year. I have been relatively pain free ever since but still have periods of spasming and some interesting pain at times. I am the local weather man, as I do seem to be affected by low pressure systems. Nerve damage has left me with a trace of slap foot but I have for the most part, rid myself of it. I see myself as one of the lucky ones and I'm grateful for it. I screamed often and long for the two years before surgery. I never want to experience it again. Thank you for asking about it.

Wow, thats awesome.Im glad it worked out well for you. my uncle had back surgery in 88 and has never been the same. i heard some horror stories about back surgeries circa that era. I would think as you said winter/fall low pressure systems must affect you. We all worry as golfers that were next... Argh great game but horrible for the back!! My GP has already told me he sees hip issues in my future that will affect my back eventually so not looking forward to the next 10-15 years! thanks for sharing and im glad you're still out there playing! have a great season!

So this means several more hours of air time for that Dr on Golf Channel.

His name escapes me...

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

You can say that until your leg goes numb or has shooting nerve pain down to your toes.

My wife had C5-C6 spinal fusion surgery on Tuesday because her right arm was stuck between shooting pain and complete numbness. She was at the point where she couldn't lift her right arm above her head.

She's obviously not a professional athlete and had to have the surgery to simply return to normal life.

Hope she feels better and returns to normal soon.

Thank you! I am thrilled to report she came out of the surgery 100% pain free and had full mobility in her arm immediately. She's only 29 and the nerve wasn't compressed long enough to create permanent damage. She had a severe bulged disc which was compressing 2 nerves and actually manipulating her spinal cord a little. Surgery was successful. Obviously looking further down the road, she will have to more surgeries to fuse above/below discs but the hope is that she can make it 15-20 years (10 to 15 is more realistic). She was to the point where she couldn't squeeze a shampoo bottle and have shampoo come out. Checked her into the ER Monday, Surgery Tuesday, home Wednesday and she's already out walking around the block.

Your wife would've been a prime candidate for a cervical disc replacement. If you're in your 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, and have healthy facets and the diagnosis is a bulged disc, you really want to look into having a cervical disc replacement in place of a fusion. It'll spare the adjacent levels so that they don't wear out as fast by maintaining the natural motion of the spine.

That said, ACDFs aren't bad by any means! They have great fusion rates and success.

Glad you're wife is doing well!

Yup so she went the ACDF route. This has been an issue for a handful of years now. This was just the final straw. She had gone down the physical therapy and steroid route a couple times. In the past it worked really well. However, each time the disc would bulge it would come back more severe. With her history, and the severity of the protrusion, the neurosurgeon felt it was best to nip it immediately to prevent any loss of strength, feeling and functionality.

We are new to Phoenix but feel we used a surgeon whom is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, in the valley. Luckily, my wife works in the medical field and has a lot of interaction with different doctors and surgeons. This guy's name was the first name out of each doctor's mouth. Her physical therapist also confirmed. So we at least feel confident in the surgeon we selected. That makes us feel more comfortable about the approach he wanted to take.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

This might be the best post I've ever seen in a Tiger thread.

Tiger owe?

Quite the contrary.

Guy has provided you with 14 majors, 79 tour wins, hundreds of great moments,

Wait for it....

And the best golf, by far, you have ever been priviledged to see.

And he owes?

So, he kicked the crap out of the status quo and made them look stupid and revert to calling him, "boy". Yes, he changed the game and made them get off thier fat @sses. Rofl ; )

Just look at this thread.

Didn't Notah say recently he would be back in may, guess he doesn't know much

Interesting thing about the back. It almost never, ever signals it's intent to knock you on your a**.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Hate to say it but... The fat lady is on her fourth song!

Oh good, she hasn't stopped singing then........

Silver, I'm 66 and had c4-5 and 6-7 fused two years ago. In my case, I had degenerative disc disease, so the discs were gone, had bone spurs and all the accumulated junk that goes with it. The surgery completely fixed the pain, numbness, weakness, and tingling. Speaking as an old guy, she'll be fine. Messed up my golf, but worth it. As to Tiger, I wonder if he'll feel the need to return. Really nothing left to accomplish, no honor unearned, no tournament not won (18 is now out of reach), and there will be some risk for further problems. Already rich, has a career starting as an architect, is it going to be worth doing?

Silver, I'm 66 and had c4-5 and 6-7 fused two years ago. In my case, I had degenerative disc disease, so the discs were gone, had bone spurs and all the accumulated junk that goes with it. The surgery completely fixed the pain, numbness, weakness, and tingling. Speaking as an old guy, she'll be fine. Messed up my golf, but worth it.

Had DDD as well with L5-S1fusion and pain free since 2006.. Makes me wonder who was his surgeon!

The only thing i dont get is the secrecy. Its really weird. Even people who dislike him are like hope you feel better but why all the cloak and dagger stuff? Whats wrong with saying im considering every option on the table as my pain isnt getting any better. I know my fans want to know when ill be back but i cant say for sure until i elect for surgery or PT. thanks for all the well wishes. Dont know why his PR people insist on doing this stuff

How much more detail do any of us need?

From the cbssports website:

The procedure was a minimally invasive Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (MIS ALIF) at L5/S1. The surgery entailed removing the damaged disc and re-elevating the collapsed disc space to normal levels. This allows the one vertebrae to heal to the other. The goal is to relieve the pressure on the nerve and to give the nerve the best chance of healing

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Lies and bs? Have you considered maybe he needed this surgery just to have a life?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I'm 46 and have had 7 spine surgeries to repair herniated disks. 5 at L5-S1, the last two at L4-L5. Last one was in 2012 and I still can't feel the front of my left leg from the top of my shin to my ankle. Never had a fusion, all discetomies. I still play golf, but have really bad trunk rotation due to lack of ROM. After playing I can't have other plans, have to go home and lay down for the rest of the day/night. I still play old man no check hockey, but due to late games and always being in pain the next day I finally called it quits at the end of this season.

I've been saying since Tiger's surgery #2 that he was done. In my experience you can come back all the way from one back surgery, but once you have a second and you start dealing with scar tissue you'll never be close to your old self again. There's no way a human being can have multiple spine surgeries and then practice as much as a pro does, swing a club as much as a pro does and as hard, play 4 rounds in 4 days while walking on uneven surfaces and often up elevation, etc.

Also, I personally try not to play any golf before 11 am because it takes me a few hours of being up before I loosen up enough to be active. How does that work with a pro golfer schedule.

really sucks for Tiger, hate seeing this happen to people.

I'm 46 and have had 7 spine surgeries to repair herniated disks. 5 at L5-S1, the last two at L4-L5. Last one was in 2012 and I still can't feel the front of my left leg from the top of my shin to my ankle. Never had a fusion, all discetomies. I still play golf, but have really bad trunk rotation due to lack of ROM. After playing I can't have other plans, have to go home and lay down for the rest of the day/night. I still play old man no check hockey, but due to late games and always being in pain the next day I finally called it quits at the end of this season.

I've been saying since Tiger's surgery #2 that he was done. In my experience you can come back all the way from one back surgery, but once you have a second and you start dealing with scar tissue you'll never be close to your old self again. There's no way a human being can have multiple spine surgeries and then practice as much as a pro does, swing a club as much as a pro does and as hard, play 4 rounds in 4 days while walking on uneven surfaces and often up elevation, etc.

Also, I personally try not to play any golf before 11 am because it takes me a few hours of being up before I loosen up enough to be active. How does that work with a pro golfer schedule.

really sucks for Tiger, hate seeing this happen to people.

After reading this, I feel really good all of a sudden! And grateful.

I hope your journey ends well for you.

I'm just grateful that we had a Tiger to see in the first place. I'll be happy if we get to see him play once or twice a year after this surgery. Nobody has ever played golf as good as Tiger Woods, and we are lucky to have watched him.

Hoping for a successful recovery for Tiger. I'm sure it's eating at him being too injured to play with his kids. I've been there.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

It's been said here many, many times. He needs to lay off of any golf until it is completely healed. Every single time it seems he sort of rushes things a bit and the end result is a relapse.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Absolutely no chance of coming back from this in a meaningful sustained way IMHO.

When you fuse L5-S1 you put abnormal stress on L4-5 due to altered biomechanics. Based on his past history of back problems, L4-5 and L3-4 are probably already degenerated to some degree, if not significantly. So best case scenario if he recovers 100% from this surgery and is pain free, he will only have a very short window before the other levels are trashed out. They are most likely already well on their way but this will accelerate the process. Again, this is assuming best case scenario and best possible outcome of his current surgery. It is very possible that he will only make a 75-80% recovery from the current surgery and be done and we won't even get far enough down the road for the other levels to matter.

JMJ

After reading about this, I think its unlikely he plays professionally again.

Wish him a successful recovery and all the best.

Earl said TW would win 14 Majors ; )

Absolutely no chance of coming back from this in a meaningful sustained way IMHO.

When you fuse L5-S1 you put abnormal stress on L4-5 due to altered biomechanics. Based on his past history of back problems, L4-5 and L3-4 are probably already degenerated to some degree, if not significantly. So best case scenario if he recovers 100% from this surgery and is pain free, he will only have a very short window before the other levels are trashed out. They are most likely already well on their way but this will accelerate the process. Again, this is assuming best case scenario and best possible outcome of his current surgery. It is very possible that he will only make a 75-80% recovery from the current surgery and be done and we won't even get far enough down the road for the other levels to matter.

JMJ

After reading about this, I think its unlikely he plays professionally again.

Wish him a successful recovery and all the best.

Earl said TW would win 14 Majors ; )

We all do.