2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger - Another Back Surgery, Out at Least 6 Months

acy274

Well, he didn't just walk into Urgent Care, 4th surgery or not, some surgeon with a lot of experience consulted him not us and gave him some hope. We can't predict his future but he didn't say he was retiring just yet. So the best thing to do at this point is wish him well, then do what he is doing, see what the final outcome is and go from there. It's what we would do with our game if we had back surgery and we haven't won 14 majors, and 79 PGA tour championships. so we don't have the same inner drive of competition that must make him want to not give up hope.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Tiger needs to find another back surgeon, his current guy isn't getting the job done

Given Tiger's history with Dr's orders, I'm going to guess that the surgeon isn't the one at fault here.

Wishing TW a healthy recovery and as much a pain-free life as is currently possible! Fusion and golf don't go well together, but as some have said, at least it's L5/S1. 4 spinal surgeries though....yikes.

Tiger seemed a lot bigger when he showed up at the Farmers compared to what he looked like at the Hero in December. Then people started to say that he was working out again like he did before the surgeries and it felt like it was a matter of time before his back went out and all it took was 2 and half rounds and a flight to Dubai to do it. I was hoping he would be able to comeback at some point, but it feels like his career is really done. It's a shame his career is going to end this way.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

His arrogance and attitude and how his true character conflicted greatly with what he (even moreso his father) projected, makes him an incredibly easy target.

Add on the fact that every time he sneezes he becomes to the lead story for 3 days.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't hate woods. But it's easy to see why there's a segment of the population that's begging for the topic to die, and since it won't die they vocalize how much they don't like him/don't care/etc.

I can't really think of a time since the downfall started where he handled himself with any sort of humility or grace, which would appeal to people.

He doesn`t owe anybody anything and he wasn`t put here for our pleasure. I hope in your judgement that you act with the humility and grace that you seem to expect from Woods.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

There are a lot of bad assumptions and ignorant remarks in this thread.

I was an engineer for a medical company and designed ALIF cages for about two years before moving out into the sales field into my current position and now sell the spinal fusion devices (rods, screws, spacers/cages, total discs). I get to be in the OR for every case (surgery) when a surgeon wants to use one of my company's devices.

A misnomer is that "back pain" for the most part, doesn't require surgery. Surgeries are typically (majority of the time) performed for when a nerve root is compromised and there is pain/numbness/weakness/etc in the extremities.

You never go straight under the knife. You try as much conservative treatment as possible (you actually have to do therapy for a dedicated period of time before insurance companies will approve a surgery).

Some guys will try to not fuse as the first surgery option, choosing to try and decompress the affected nerve root as best as possible (depending on the condition this could be a micro disc or some sort of decompression where material (bone) is removed from parts of the vertebrae -- i.e. laminectomy).

My guess is there was a lot of scar tissue from his previous surgeries posteriorly (literally his lower back) that they felt the best option was to go anteriorly where the site hasn't been disrupted....this is actually a great procedure when the diagnosis is a collapsed disc and the nerve can be alleviated simply by restoring the affected level's disc height. ALIF cages have a nice large footprint, have a large graft window for new bone to grow through and a generally successful procedures.

Just know that every back surgery (cervical and lumbar) is patient specific and no one procedure is the standard. It'd be like saying you use your driver for any hole over 300 yards no matter what....but you have to take into consideration what the landscape (anatomy) is giving you.

Didn't DLIII have some vertebrae fused a few years ago? He's mostly competitive

Davis had a two level neck fusion. Sounds bad but his doctor actually commented that "it will affect his snowboarding more than his golf." Also broke his collarbone and had hip surgery. No lower back though.

Awesome!! Thank you!!

cervical fusion is a lot different than lumbar fusion. the only load your neck is seeing is your dome; your lumbar region is supporting a much larger weight.

also, a large portion of the motion in your neck is at the Occiput and C1, and C1-C2. Most of the cervical fusions are performed at C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7

There are a lot of bad assumptions and ignorant remarks in this thread.

I was an engineer for a medical company and designed ALIF cages for about two years before moving out into the sales field into my current position and now sell the spinal fusion devices (rods, screws, spacers/cages, total discs). I get to be in the OR for every case (surgery) when a surgeon wants to use one of my company's devices.

A misnomer is that "back pain" for the most part, doesn't require surgery. Surgeries are typically (majority of the time) performed for when a nerve root is compromised and there is pain/numbness/weakness/etc in the extremities.

You never go straight under the knife. You try as much conservative treatment as possible (you actually have to do therapy for a dedicated period of time before insurance companies will approve a surgery).

Some guys will try to not fuse as the first surgery option, choosing to try and decompress the affected nerve root as best as possible (depending on the condition this could be a micro disc or some sort of decompression where material (bone) is removed from parts of the vertebrae -- i.e. laminectomy).

My guess is there was a lot of scar tissue from his previous surgeries posteriorly (literally his lower back) that they felt the best option was to go anteriorly where the site hasn't been disrupted....this is actually a great procedure when the diagnosis is a collapsed disc and the nerve can be alleviated simply by restoring the affected level's disc height. ALIF cages are nice a big, have a large graft window for new bone to grow through and a generally successful procedures.

Just know that ever back surgery (cervical and lumbar) is patient specific and no one procedure is the standard. It'd be like saying you use your driver for any hole over 300 yards no matter what....but you have to take into consideration what the landscape (anatomy) is giving you.

Daniel please don't bring facts, knowledge and experience into any discussion regarding Tiger. Those all get thrown out the window in favor of unbridled passion for and against.

So how long before Hasbro releases Operation: Tiger Woods Edition?

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

So this means several more hours of air time for that Dr on Golf Channel.

His name escapes me...

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

You can say that until your leg goes numb or has shooting nerve pain down to your toes.

My wife had C5-C6 spinal fusion surgery on Tuesday because her right arm was stuck between shooting pain and complete numbness. She was at the point where she couldn't lift her right arm above her head.

She's obviously not a professional athlete and had to have the surgery to simply return to normal life.

Hope she feels better and returns to normal soon.

Thank you! I am thrilled to report she came out of the surgery 100% pain free and had full mobility in her arm immediately. She's only 29 and the nerve wasn't compressed long enough to create permanent damage. She had a severe bulged disc which was compressing 2 nerves and actually manipulating her spinal cord a little. Surgery was successful. Obviously looking further down the road, she will have to more surgeries to fuse above/below discs but the hope is that she can make it 15-20 years (10 to 15 is more realistic). She was to the point where she couldn't squeeze a shampoo bottle and have shampoo come out. Checked her into the ER Monday, Surgery Tuesday, home Wednesday and she's already out walking around the block.

Your wife would've been a prime candidate for a cervical disc replacement. If you're in your 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s, and have healthy facets and the diagnosis is a bulged disc, you really want to look into having a cervical disc replacement in place of a fusion. It'll spare the adjacent levels so that they don't wear out as fast by maintaining the natural motion of the spine.

That said, ACDFs aren't bad by any means! They have great fusion rates and success.

Glad you're wife is doing well!

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

His arrogance and attitude and how his true character conflicted greatly with what he (even moreso his father) projected, makes him an incredibly easy target.

Add on the fact that every time he sneezes he becomes to the lead story for 3 days.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't hate woods. But it's easy to see why there's a segment of the population that's begging for the topic to die, and since it won't die they vocalize how much they don't like him/don't care/etc.

I can't really think of a time since the downfall started where he handled himself with any sort of humility or grace, which would appeal to people.

Ive said this many times over the years but people dislike the man not the golfer but sometimes its easy to confuse the 2. He was always a dick to the media ( some justifiably but most for absolutely nothing see feinstein/jenkins) so the second he fell from his perch they all went for his throat and most of the public followed. He could have rehabbed his image while remaining a cold blooded golfer but i dont think he cares to do so. Imagine him walking into golf channel studios last week, sitting with David Duval and saying hey guys i know alot of you are wondering how im doing and when ill play again so heres an update ive elected to have surgery because my pain isnt getting better and i cant live like this let alone play. I hope to come back from this in 6-9 months but im not sure if i will but i fully intend to try. His image would change a ton in a heartbeat. He instead sends his gimp steinberg to disperse the news. the guy has millions of fans world wide, why does he think him saying this hurts his brand or aura? its trully bizarre.

There's a very good chance LaCava is getting paid well to sit home (perhaps more than he'd make with Lydia, plus no travel/expenses). At some level he probably misses the action, but if he's not likely to get a Steve Williams sort of parttime gig with an elite player, he may just prefer staying home with the family over all the travel a full schedule would involve.

He doesn`t owe anybody anything and he wasn`t put here for our pleasure. I hope in your judgement that you act with the humility and grace that you seem to expect from Woods.

I guess you have issues discerning between when someone explains an opinion, and when someone agrees with it.

You can look for phrases like 'I'm not saying it's right' as a clue :)

With a laminectomy and two microdiscectomies under my belt I feel for the guy

Full on sciatica jetting to your toe is crippling / agonizing

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Serious question. What did he say in that post that rubbed you the wrong way? In your view has he been the most approachable media friendly golf champion in your lifetime? despite being a legend he had/has a persona that rubbed people the wrong way, surely you see that right? You saying he doesnt owe us anything goes against what other golf greats have said their responsibility towards the game is. Its also suppose to silence any critcism. He is an athlete playing a sport for entertainement purposes therefore he gets the good from it but also the bad. Whats wrong with expecting a little grace and humility now when hes in the twilight of his career and has been for several years. Why would you object to that? Genuinely asking, no snark or sarcasm. Also on another note from what I read you had back surgery way back when in 84 unless i misread. How did that turn out for you? did it help hurt or did it lead to more procedures?

Amen ! I don't care what he's done that ruffles the snowflakes feathers. He's a human. And I feel sorry for him on some level.

Best mixed metaphor in WRX history.

And that's enough out of you two. No self respecting fake navy seal wants pretend sympathy from you chops.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Ive said this many times over the years but people dislike the man not the golfer but sometimes its easy to confuse the 2. He was always a dick to the media ( some justifiably but most for absolutely nothing see feinstein/jenkins) so the second he fell from his perch they all went for his throat and most of the public followed. He could have rehabbed his image while remaining a cold blooded golfer but i dont think he cares to do so. Imagine him walking into golf channel studios last week, sitting with David Duval and saying hey guys i know alot of you are wondering how im doing and when ill play again so heres an update ive elected to have surgery because my pain isnt getting better and i cant live like this let alone play. I hope to come back from this in 6-9 months but im not sure if i will but i fully intend to try. His image would change a ton in a heartbeat. He instead sends his gimp steinberg to disperse the news. the guy has millions of fans world wide, why does he think him saying this hurts his brand or aura? its trully bizarre.

Yup.

And the media is as culpable as anyone. The sports media is in the business of building people up to a level that can't be reached, then ripping them apart as soon as they get the chance.

Then, if they're lucky, they'll jump right on the redemption story upswing and ride that for as long as they can. The need to make every sneeze of his the lead in the rundown for 3 days is them trying to be at ground zero of a redemption story.

I don't fault woods for stiffing the media, they're not his friends. Their interest is sensationalism and clicks, not the betterment of any individual sports star.

But, this is what happens when you stiff them and then have a tragedy of character. Like I said - easy target.

And if there weren't so many people to eat it up every time, it wouldn't be their SOP. But there are tons of those people, and it works.

I don't care about his arrogance - the man was a phenom and deserved it. But I'm not going to shed a tear for his inability to control his narrative anymore.

And given what, to me, seems like an obvious case of some sort of PED use... I don't particularly Care if his golfing is done for good. It's a known risk, we have ample examples of people who do that having their body fall apart in inexplicable ways. He knew what he signed up for, he was smart enough.

I do hope he can play with his kids. That would suck otherwise :(

With a laminectomy and two microdiscectomies under my belt I feel for the guy

Full on sciatica jetting to your toe is crippling / agonizing

Not to mention good old slap foot.........

Shows how close Notah Begay is to him these days. Unfortunately I think he will keep up the facade even if he can't play again because of the TaylorMade deal

no kidding.....talk about fake news.....his purpose on The Golf Channel is the resident Tiger updater and has he ever been correct?? you don't go from progressing well and going to be tournament ready by the US Open to a fusion......especially when legitimate people like Steve Stricker and Mark O'meara are out there saying he isn't doing well and its a day to day thing

and I am a huge Tiger fan, always have been....still love watching him hit a ball (don't care his score just love watching him play) but why all the people feeling bad for him??? he did all of this to himself with the lifestyle he chose to live with the crazy workouts and lifts and constantly making swing changes.....people never talk about the affect of the swing changes and what that does to your back with all the thousands and thousands of extra work he put in to become 4 of the greatest golfers of all time with his 4 professional swing transformations.......He lived his life the way he wanted with every opportunity in the world...but everything we do has consequences

get well soon...I'd be a fan if he turns into a pro mini Golfer and competes in the Windmill World Championships

If I'm Joe LaCava, I'd be on the phone wth Lydia Ko tonight.

https://www.google.c...tiger-woods/amp

There's a very good chance LaCava is getting paid well to sit home (perhaps more than he'd make with Lydia, plus no travel/expenses). At some level he probably misses the action, but if he's not likely to get a Steve Williams sort of parttime gig with an elite player, he may just prefer staying home with the family over all the travel a full schedule would involve.

Yeah, tough choice ...

$200K to sit down in S.FL with the fam or take a chance on another player, 30-35 weeks on the road, hotels, flights and hang out with a bunch of drunk caddies.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

If he doesn't layoff the super weight training he won't be able to play golf at a high level because he will continue to unravel the work the previous surgeries have done. If his work ethic was focused more on golf than being a physical specimen, he might have a shot at coming back, but if he has to look all bulked up like he has the last 7 years, he's just not going to make it all the way back. The spine is a fragile thing as we get older and the golf swing is hard on the spine and discs especially the way he attacks a golf ball. Heck, most doctors will tell you running is horrible on the body.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Absolutely no chance of coming back from this in a meaningful sustained way IMHO.

When you fuse L5-S1 you put abnormal stress on L4-5 due to altered biomechanics. Based on his past history of back problems, L4-5 and L3-4 are probably already degenerated to some degree, if not significantly. So best case scenario if he recovers 100% from this surgery and is pain free, he will only have a very short window before the other levels are trashed out. They are most likely already well on their way but this will accelerate the process. Again, this is assuming best case scenario and best possible outcome of his current surgery. It is very possible that he will only make a 75-80% recovery from the current surgery and be done and we won't even get far enough down the road for the other levels to matter.

i am presuming tiger has had the best medical advice available in all of his surgeries but am really wondering how much more of this his body can take..

i am really hoping for the best for tiger and if he ever makes a comeback of sorts it will be monumental to say the least and i can only hope i can be around when--and if--it happens!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Serious question. What did he say in that post that rubbed you the wrong way? In your view has he been the most approachable media friendly golf champion in your lifetime? despite being a legend he had/has a persona that rubbed people the wrong way, surely you see that right? You saying he doesnt owe us anything goes against what other golf greats have said their responsibility towards the game is. Its also suppose to silence any critcism. He is an athlete playing a sport for entertainement purposes therefore he gets the good from it but also the bad. Whats wrong with expecting a little grace and humility now when hes in the twilight of his career and has been for several years. Why would you object to that? Genuinely asking, no snark or sarcasm. Also on another note from what I read you had back surgery way back when in 84 unless i misread. How did that turn out for you? did it help hurt or did it lead to more procedures?

bolded for your pleasure.

You recall well. I had what was called back then a Discotomy ( Now discectomy?) and laminectomy, both new to Canada at the time. Until the surgery I often could not sit stand or lie down without searing indescribable pain coursing down my right leg and into my foot. I had also developed what I call slap foot which ain`t pretty to watch.

Surgery was July 1, 1984. I played golf on September 4, my birthday, of the same year. I have been relatively pain free ever since but still have periods of spasming and some interesting pain at times. I am the local weather man, as I do seem to be affected by low pressure systems. Nerve damage has left me with a trace of slap foot but I have for the most part, rid myself of it. I see myself as one of the lucky ones and I'm grateful for it. I screamed often and long for the two years before surgery. I never want to experience it again. Thank you for asking about it.

Insofar as Tiger is concerned, I only ever just wanted to watch him play. Otherwise he is just a man, to me. He makes the same mistakes, acts like many do, avoiding the spotlight when possible. I like to think I understand that and I accept his humanness. According to stats, nearly half of all North American men will at some point, cheat on their wives. Not as spectacularly as he has, of course, but nonetheless, they cheat. And then, it seems they forget and judge. I will never forget and I cannot judge. But I do feel the shame and humiliation and I know the battle within to try to find some dignity somewhere so that some normalcy can once again be found within the family structure, or at least, what remains of it.

Sorry if this was more than you asked for. I believe that when we look in the mirror every day we need to see the truth about ourselves. It is the only way I know of that ensures that I cannot condemn others for weakness that resides within too many of us.