2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger - Another Back Surgery, Out at Least 6 Months

acy274

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

How did you not look at this before you hit the "Post" button and say to yourself "There is no possible outcome where anyone reads this post and doesn't say 'man, what a jerk'"?

Is it possible, while even not being a big TW fan (I'm not) that you could think "Maybe his back is honestly that jacked up that he had to have the surgery as a quality of life thing being that the guy is only 41 years old and has another 30-40 years minimum that he has to get up and walk around, play with his kids and have some kind of a normal life without mind numbing pain radiating from his lower back from the time he wakes up until he time he finally falls asleep despite the pain"

...because that would be what a rational person might do instead of spouting off that he's a liar on GolfWRX

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 46 and have had 7 spine surgeries to repair herniated disks. 5 at L5-S1, the last two at L4-L5. Last one was in 2012 and I still can't feel the front of my left leg from the top of my shin to my ankle. Never had a fusion, all discetomies. I still play golf, but have really bad trunk rotation due to lack of ROM. After playing I can't have other plans, have to go home and lay down for the rest of the day/night. I still play old man no check hockey, but due to late games and always being in pain the next day I finally called it quits at the end of this season.

I've been saying since Tiger's surgery #2 that he was done. In my experience you can come back all the way from one back surgery, but once you have a second and you start dealing with scar tissue you'll never be close to your old self again. There's no way a human being can have multiple spine surgeries and then practice as much as a pro does, swing a club as much as a pro does and as hard, play 4 rounds in 4 days while walking on uneven surfaces and often up elevation, etc.

Also, I personally try not to play any golf before 11 am because it takes me a few hours of being up before I loosen up enough to be active. How does that work with a pro golfer schedule.

really sucks for Tiger, hate seeing this happen to people.

You should address the scar tissue that accumulates and changes the motor patterns and creates muscle inhibition, which leads to restricted range of motion.

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

Well said. Hopefully he recovers without incident and is able to play again at some point. More importantly, however, I hope he receives relief from his symptoms. Disc pathology is no joke.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I don't think surgery is going to help his spasms and back pain. I think all of his issues is from not being flexible and poor range of motion from body building. A rigorous stretching program and getting off the weights is probably a better solution for him.

Mindless comment

You think tiger didn't/doesn't stretch?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

I don't think surgery is going to help his spasms and back pain. I think all of his issues is from not being flexible and poor range of motion from body building. A rigorous stretching program and getting off the weights is probably a better solution for him.

Tiger's issues are far beyond being fixed by a bunch of yoga poses.

If you really think Tiger is coming back! Then you are delusional. He went down the rabbit hole of back surgery. Not good. He is done. The tiger machine needs to stop the BS.

This is written in the way an excited child talks after he runs up a long flight of stairs and can't catch his breath. Use some punctuation, brah!

As a fan, I actually don't want him to come back. I don't want him to see him using a cane at 50, or be crippled for life. It's a shame that his back has been so bad, but swinging a golf club in compitition and walking long, hilly courses is not helping him. I don't think any of us like to see the greats out there stumbling around in their later years. Though golf is not as physically demanding as football or basketball, and we get used to seeing people compete well past 40, Tiger played more physically than most and it has taken its toll.

I'd love to see him hang em up and start playing the ambassador role.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

The last few years just show how complicated back issues are and how difficult they are/can be to solve. This is Tiger f****** Woods here, money is no object. He will have access to the best medical practitioners anywhere in the world, he won’t be locked into specific treatment types that his medical insurance authorises and he doesn’t need to worry about getting a junior doctor looking after him. Back issues are not an easy or guaranteed fix. 

the fact that this is now the 4th surgery suggest that either the first three were not effective or misdiagnosed...If its the same surgeon I would go to another ASAP....Nobody in their heart wants another to suffer from medical issues. In Tiger's case this is now a quality of life issue, only a player/athlete of his stature.ego and resources would even attempt a 4th surgery...

TW fanboys are going to have to start accepting the fact that he will never be the same player, and just be thankful that you got to witness his career

Either his body is not designed to take the violent type swing he came in to or he just swung too hard for too long. I remember thinking why his he doing that when he hit stinger after stinger even when it was not called for.

To me he just tried to bully the ball and lacking in that type of strength I could never relate him to my game.

Cannot think of another golfer who had injury issues like him, so his gym work must have been way over the top and probably his swing style done him in.

In fairness his speed through the ball as a skinny kid was ridiculous as well. Maybe that type of speed just takes its toll after hitting so many balls.

So many surgeries. No way he ever comes back from that.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

he should retire now, he said he was fully fit after the last surgery but didn't play for long before his back went again. a shame for golf but it no good kidding yourself?

Cobra Radspeed XD 10.5
Callaway rogue 3 wood
Callaway rogue 5 wood
Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway  mack daddy cb 60 wedge
Titleist trufeel/Callaway supersoft balls
Odyssey 7s black

I don't feel like I'm all that sappy of a guy, but I really can't understand all the hate. Dude went under the knife today. Maybe as you're posting your snarky response.

He's not a cartoon character. He's a living breathing human being. I don't care who it is, when I hear someone is going under general anesthesia and having an operation, I think to myself, may it go well. It's a miracle what modern medicine can do for us, but it's not without risk. :: positive vibes :: for the goat.

His arrogance and attitude and how his true character conflicted greatly with what he (even moreso his father) projected, makes him an incredibly easy target.

Add on the fact that every time he sneezes he becomes to the lead story for 3 days.

I'm not saying it's right. I don't hate woods. But it's easy to see why there's a segment of the population that's begging for the topic to die, and since it won't die they vocalize how much they don't like him/don't care/etc.

I can't really think of a time since the downfall started where he handled himself with any sort of humility or grace, which would appeal to people.

He doesn`t owe anybody anything and he wasn`t put here for our pleasure. I hope in your judgement that you act with the humility and grace that you seem to expect from Woods.

Actually, he put himself in position to be here for our pleasure. It's called entertainment and has been around since before Christ. That's how he made money....

LOL no. Tiger is and has been ultra flexible for years. "Bodybuilding"? You may want to see what that looks like when you actually do it because Tiger has never had that sort of body.

I have to wonder... some people seem to be really narrow-minded in looking at Tiger's health problems, the partial comeback and now the future after having gone through another procedure.

Facts:

- Tiger came back and tried to resume life as a professional golfer

- His back obviously did not withstand the perils of professional golf swing

- He had to WD and then had to skip events that were of utmost importance to him as a pro golfer

- His reason for above were health related; the back was NOT in any shape to resume his life as a pro golfer. He thought it was, but it just was not the case

- Now he's underwent another procedure that should, according to the doctor's statement, give him the possibility to resume his career once the healing process has run its course

Where in all of this do you see him as someone who is just trying to postpone his imminent retirement from golf? Where do you see someone who gives "false hope" to golf fans, and then just takes it all away with false reasoning?

All I see is a man whose health has taken a turn for the worse in a way that it's prevented his training and a normal return to a sport that is highly strenuous to his back. And now he had to resort to doctors and surgery once again to give himself a chance.

Give him a chance, please. If he never wins another event again, fine. But that should be judged after he is FIT to practice his profession. Not when he is unhealthy and (even if desperate to do so) unable to do it.

Tero

I have to wonder... some people seem to be really narrow-minded in looking at Tiger's health problems, the partial comeback and now the future after having gone through another procedure.

Facts:

- Tiger came back and tried to resume life as a professional golfer

- His back obviously did not withstand the perils of professional golf swing

- He had to WD and then had to skip events that were of utmost importance to him as a pro golfer

- His reason for above were health related; the back was NOT in any shape to resume his life as a pro golfer. He thought it was, but it just was not the case

- Now he's underwent another procedure that should, according to the doctor's statement, give him the possibility to resume his career once the healing process has run its course

Where in all of this do you see him as someone who is just trying to postpone his imminent retirement from golf? Where do you see someone who gives "false hope" to golf fans, and then just takes it all away with false reasoning?

All I see is a man whose health has taken a turn for the worse in a way that it's prevented his training and a normal return to a sport that is highly strenuous to his back. And now he had to resort to doctors and surgery once again to give himself a chance.

Give him a chance, please. If he never wins another event again, fine. But that should be judged after he is FIT to practice his profession. Not when he is unhealthy and (even if desperate to do so) unable to do it.

Tero

waiting-for-godot.jpg

Didn't he say only a couple of months back that he wont be having any more surgery and that he would rather retire than do it again. So sick of his lies and BS.

You can say that until your leg goes numb or has shooting nerve pain down to your toes.

My wife had C5-C6 spinal fusion surgery on Tuesday because her right arm was stuck between shooting pain and complete numbness. She was at the point where she couldn't lift her right arm above her head.

She's obviously not a professional athlete and had to have the surgery to simply return to normal life.

Good luck to your wife on her recovery. I had c5-6 fused in 1997 while playing minor league baseball, and c3-7 fused in 2005 after complications from the first surgery. Aside from minor nerve damage to my right arm (only limits my ability to throw a baseball at a major league level) and some minor range of motion issues in my neck (I can't hold a phone between my ear and shoulder), I am back to a completely normal life. Surgery was the ABSOLUTE best thing for me. Hope she has the same experience.

TaylorMade and Bridgestone should both file suit against Tiger for misrepresentation. It's obvious he was no where near in shape to play events this season. Zero integrity with him about anything ... until after the bomb explodes, then he gives his fake cliche' pressers ... "well, feeling better ... progressing nicely, hope to be back soon". Then you see him on TV and he can barely get out of a chair.

Looking back, Pat Perez was pretty much dead on with everything he said about Tiger and the media fried him for being honest. PP is on the "TOLD YA" train today.

Ok...o I've talked to my neuro guy and he says an L to S fusion is bad news because "there goes his rotation."

FYI: My neuro is a good friend and golfer....and he can play.

I surely hope he's wrong.

Not likely, those guys are good judging and Tigers mechanics are basically the worst you can do with any form of back problems.

He is gone.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Would be only temporary but would give him something to do until he was axed.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 14.5

Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW

Cleveland CG-10 52,56,60

Cleveland Classic 4.5

Very sad day for the game. Despite the haters that seem to congregate on this forum, golf without tiger won't be the same. Without trying to kick start the old goat argument, in my honest opinion he is the best that ever was. He did things no other golfer could do, and he did it more consistently than anyone has ever done.

The haters can sit back and gloat and feel like winners after this news, but in reality everybody loses when a once in a lifetime player leaves their sport.

With a laminectomy and two microdiscectomies under my belt I feel for the guy

Full on sciatica jetting to your toe is crippling / agonizing

Having had the same surgeries as you (laminectomy/microdiscectomy 1st go round, microdiscectomy 2nd go round), it amazes me how people who have never had a serious back injury think he is making stuff up and WD'ing just because he's not playing well. It never crosses their mind that he's not playing well because the pain wont let you, and playing through the pain will only make it worse. You make movements in your swing, just to compensate for the pain, that are unnatural to a good swing. But of course, just because he doesn't come out and whine to the media about his pain and plans for treatment, he must be faking because he's not playing well. This is definitely a case of "ignorance is bliss".

I sincerely wish the pain of a debilitating back injury on no one, ever. It is an unimaginable pain to those who have never felt it, but it is very real, and very much will literally bring you to your knees. Before my last surgery, there were times I had to drag myself around my house with my arms while laying on my stomach because I needed the friction of the carpet in the bedroom to allow me to stretch my back out enough to take the pressure off of the nerve, just as there were times I literally had to lay down on the floor in the middle of the grocery store because I just couldn't stand up any more. You never know when it is coming on. You can feel ok, and a few steps later, you cant stand up.

I was at the course one day, back feeling great for a change, first ball on the driving range, I got to the top of my backswing and started to transition to my down swing, moved the wrong way and managed to compress the nerves in my back, and my legs literally went completely limp and I folded like a crumbling piece of paper. I was on the ground before I could finish my downswing. laid there for about 10 minutes in agony before I could stand back up.

Ok...o I've talked to my neuro guy and he says an L to S fusion is bad news because "there goes his rotation."

FYI: My neuro is a good friend and golfer....and he can play.

I surely hope he's wrong.

I imagine Tiger knows this and is just doing whatever it takes to ease the pain. If you hurt bad enough, most people are looking for relief just to lead somewhat of a normal life. If by chance he can play golf at some point that is a bonus. I wouldn't risk further injury by playing......but that's me.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag