2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger - Another Back Surgery, Out at Least 6 Months

acy274

Whether you loved him, hated him, or just loved to hate him, as far as being a factor on the PGA Tour, it's over. C'mon guys, really? It's over for him as a player.

Whether it's ego, or hanging on to as many endorsement dollars as he possibly can, it doesn't matter what's coming out of his mouth or out of his camp. The writing has been on the wall for a few years now.

His flame burned brighter than anyone's while he was at his best. I can't imagine a player dominating like he did. The cliche is that "we'll look at all my accomplishments when I'm done competing".....well, it's time. He's done.

I hope he has enough of a recovery to be able to enjoy a relatively pain-free life after golf.

Anyone who has ever had to crawl to the bathroom because of back pain can understand how debilitating it can be, and how, once you've been there, one's priorities can change drastically.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least he'll be ready for Augusta next year

Im told he's hitting the opening tee shot with Nicklaus and Player, Gary think's he's going to bomb one by TW by at least 15yds.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Whether you loved him, hated him, or just loved to hate him, as far as being a factor on the PGA Tour, it's over. C'mon guys, really? It's over for him as a player.

Whether it's ego, or hanging on to as many endorsement dollars as he possibly can, it doesn't matter what's coming out of his mouth or out of his camp. The writing has been on the wall for a few years now.

His flame burned brighter than anyone's while he was at his best. I can't imagine a player dominating like he did. The cliche is that "we'll look at all my accomplishments when I'm done competing".....well, it's time. He's done.

I hope he has enough of a recovery to be able to enjoy a relatively pain-free life after golf.

Anyone who has ever had to crawl to the bathroom because of back pain can understand how debilitating it can be, and how, once you've been there, one's priorities can change drastically.

Totally and completely correct.

I love the constant refrain about linebacker Tiger. 6'3" 220 pounds. Do a search on pictures of Tiger and Dustin Johnson together. DJ is 6'4" and is obviously way more than an inch taller. Check out their arms as well in particular forearms. Tiger at his most ripped might have topped 200 pounds, hardly 220 with those scrawny chicken stick legs. Hardly the legs of the reputed dead lifter he was rumored to be. Next we will hear how he could have been an NBA player...oops forgot everyone has seen the video of him messing around with MJ..

I stood next to amateur Tiger Woods at the 1996 U.S. Open. I am 5'11" standing up real straight and I was eye to eye with him. Doubt he had a 4 inch growth spurt the next year.

I remember how everyone thought Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer were "big" guys. Then you stood next to them and they were really quite ordinary/small.

I love the constant refrain about linebacker Tiger. 6'3" 220 pounds. Do a search on pictures of Tiger and Dustin Johnson together. DJ is 6'4" and is obviously way more than an inch taller. Check out their arms as well in particular forearms. Tiger at his most ripped might have topped 200 pounds, hardly 220 with those scrawny chicken stick legs. Hardly the legs of the reputed dead lifter he was rumored to be. Next we will hear how he could have been an NBA player...oops forgot everyone has seen the video of him messing around with MJ..

I stood next to amateur Tiger Woods at the 1996 U.S. Open. I am 5'11" standing up real straight and I was eye to eye with him. Doubt he had a 4 inch growth spurt the next year.

I remember how everyone thought Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer were "big" guys. Then you stood next to them and they were really quite ordinary/small.

Yep-same with Greg Norman. Folks thought he was big until he stood next to Faldo. Tiger is 6'1" tops. But he is r/was ripped-for a golfer. Certainly not ripped for a linebacker. Unless I have misunderstood those comments. Do you guys mean a typical high school linebacker?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I wish him well but it appears he's done with golf and only holding out a small glimmer of hope to keep his endorsement deals alive for a few more years. It's hard to tell if his doctors are incompetent or if he's been misrepresenting his issues all this time. I find it hard to believe that they keep opening him up and missing things that require additional operations and rehab.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

As a bit of a Tiger fan I hate to say it, but I believe he is done. This last surgery was a quality of life surgery not a I'm gonna play again surgery. I feel his goal right now is to be able to stand upright at fifty and be able to enjoy time with his kids. Back issues are no joke!! I have had two close friends suffer through them and to just to see what they would go through and how they would try to sit,stand, or lay down just to get a second or two of relief was miserable for me to watch, much less what they were going through. I hope for him the best, who knows maybe someday down the road he may be able to make that ceremonial tee shot at the Masters.

And he had a fusion. That isn't good for a golf swing. Decreased mobility, added stress on the discs above and below the fusion. Tough road ahead for him.

it was on the very bottom, there are no discs below the fusion he got

An L5-S1 fusion puts more stress on the SI joints and can cause problems with them. I'm not a doctor but have an L4-S1 fusion and I'm going for an L3-L4 fusion in a couple of months.

There are so many horror stories in this thread. Forget Tiger, he's rich and doesn't have to work, I feel for you guys with a real life. Hope you all get better.

6 months ago I was one of those guys crawling to the john. Today I pushed my little cart around 9 holes. 6 pars, 3 bogeys. Every pain free day is a blessing to be grateful for.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Just stop telling lies and misleading people deliberately and it may shut some people up. He said in Feb he felt good in an interview. (lie) He said that it was a just a back spasm or Steinberg did (lie). They said he would be back to competition soon (lie). Tiger said he tried to get his game ready for the Masters and it just wasn't tournament ready. He was hitting balls a few days ago in public. The next day has surgery lol. All this nonsense is why I am sick of him.

Just say that 'I am in pain and unfortunately my rehab isn't going as well as expected and may need further surgery,.'' Stop all the BS.

Yes. This is where I am on this topic, as well. He was a great, great player, and I feel empathy for his health issues. But, since June 2008, he has offered nothing but deception and evasiveness regarding one injury after another. If he was facing a 4th back surgery, he had no shot at playing in this year's Masters. So, why did he wait until the last minute to pull out? Because he had a book to promote, that's why. He's just leading his sponsors around by the nose with hopes for a prosperous future that isn't going to happen. At some point, they'll have to start dumping him.

Insofar as the back is concerned, you two haven't got a clue.

It can seem perfect today, only to bite you tomorrow. How exactly is it lying when that comes on you? It's kind of like saying "see you tomorrow" when you leave work, only to be involved in a car wreck on the way into work next morning. Was your comment the night before a lie?

I'll just let you two think about that.......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Tiger is going to make his next comeback at 5'6. They're going to remove his entire lower back.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Hi guys. I've come to this site for answers for years.. But just recently signed in, and this is my first posting.

I thank you all for the help on things and insights.

But Tiger....

Did he get too buff? He had that lanky golfers body, and then in the last 15 years seemed like his arms shortened because of the guns.

A golf swing like he had.. Why?

He's not as elastic as he was, yanked himself crooked.

He never should have pumped the iron.

Hi guys. I've come to this site for answers for years.. But just recently signed in, and this is my first posting.

I thank you all for the help on things and insights.

But Tiger....

Did he get too buff? He had that lanky golfers body, and then in the last 15 years seemed like his arms shortened because of the guns.

A golf swing like he had.. Why?

He's not as elastic as he was, yanked himself crooked.

He never should have pumped the iron.

Just stop telling lies and misleading people deliberately and it may shut some people up. He said in Feb he felt good in an interview. (lie) He said that it was a just a back spasm or Steinberg did (lie). They said he would be back to competition soon (lie). Tiger said he tried to get his game ready for the Masters and it just wasn't tournament ready. He was hitting balls a few days ago in public. The next day has surgery lol. All this nonsense is why I am sick of him.

Just say that 'I am in pain and unfortunately my rehab isn't going as well as expected and may need further surgery,.'' Stop all the BS.

Yes. This is where I am on this topic, as well. He was a great, great player, and I feel empathy for his health issues. But, since June 2008, he has offered nothing but deception and evasiveness regarding one injury after another. If he was facing a 4th back surgery, he had no shot at playing in this year's Masters. So, why did he wait until the last minute to pull out? Because he had a book to promote, that's why. He's just leading his sponsors around by the nose with hopes for a prosperous future that isn't going to happen. At some point, they'll have to start dumping him.

It can seem perfect today, only to bite you tomorrow. How exactly is it lying when that comes on you? It's kind of like saying "see you tomorrow" when you leave work, only to be involved in a car wreck on the way into work next morning. Was your comment the night before a lie?

Thank you for the opportunity to think about my comments. I actually do have a clue, and I maintain that Tiger has offered nothing but deception and evasiveness for the last 9 years. His last surgery certainly wasn't undertaken at the last minute. It's not like he woke up that morning and said, "I feel rotten; I think I'll have surgery today." He was interviewed only days before, asked directly about the state of his back, and didn't say anything about it.

Thank you for the opportunity to think about my comments. I actually do have a clue, and I maintain that Tiger has offered nothing but deception and evasiveness for the last 9 years. His last surgery certainly wasn't undertaken at the last minute. It's not like he woke up that morning and said, "I feel rotten; I think I'll have surgery today." He was interviewed only days before, asked directly about the state of his back, and didn't say anything about it.

You go around announcing your medical condition/procedures to the mailman?

; )

Its his business. He told you he had an operation. What more do you feel entitled to?

; )

Its his business. He told you he had an operation. What more do you feel entitled to?

You hit the nail on the head!

; )

Typically I agree with the sentiment but professional athletes with endorsement deals forfeit some of that privacy.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Good gracious, the guy already cannot go out in public without a scene and you guys want more personal info?

Okey dokey then.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Good gracious, the guy already cannot go out in public without a scene and you guys want more personal info?

Okey dokey then.

Not more personal info but I'd prefer he say nothing than to mislead people into thinking he'd be able to play this summer. Elective surgeries are scheduled in advance so it's pretty obvious that he's known for some time that he was going for the 4th surgery and wouldn't likely play this year and probably ever again at a professional level.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The only thing more humorous than the "Tiger is built like an NFL linebacker" bullish!t is the "Rory is built like a an NFL linebacker bullish!t".

When you spend your whole life going at the ball as hard as he did, you are going to develop back issues. It doesn't matter how "fit" or "ripped" you are; the body will eventually break down if you put enough stress on it.

Golf swing stress, that is. He can still live a fulfilling and atheltic/healthy life, but he will not be able to generate the swing speed that he once had that made him so dominant. It's not that difficult to comprehend.

Let's say he recovers from his surgery well enough to return to golf. For the life of me I can't see that back being able to take the strain of repeated flat out swings.

On the first tee, DJ pounds it out there 330, Rory bangs it out the same, then Tiger puts a finesse swing on it and pops it out 280 yards? I can't see that happening. That L5-S1 fusion is in for one hell of a ride..........

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"