Sandbagging in league play

No different than kicking a ball out from behind a tree or sneaking into your opponents house when they are sleeping and stealing money off of their nightstand......Even having to ask this question tells me all I need to know.......Please remove the Penguin logo from your avatar......Gives my team a bad name.

OP is further proof that Yinzer's can't be trusted.

Let's go Flyers, 2027 Stanley Cup Champs! (far enough out that no one will remember this post)

Lets not lump everyone into the same kettle?

Some of us take the integrity of the game seriously, and no, I don't give a shat How much is on the line.

Who I feel sorry for are the legit caps that go out there and stand no chance, though if they tolerate this type of bullshat, it's hard to feel sorry for em.

Have a great season Bro?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You wouldn't be allowed to play in our league because we have one standing rule..."No F**king Cheatin". A handicap is not something you "manage" regardless of the stakes.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

I don't understand how you would ask if sandbagging is okay? You clearly know you're going to get slammed for it.....and then you try to defend it. If you need to rationalize your cheating to us why ask if it's an issue since it clearly isn't an issue to you?

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

You wouldn't be allowed to play in our league because we have one standing rule..."No F**king Cheatin". A handicap is not something you "manage" regardless of the stakes.

So I would have to ask how you would handle playing in a league where you do have to manage your handicap and not about about shooting your best score each week. It's structured more shooting your handicap without going too high or too low. When you play against the ghost you must shoot your handicap. If you beat the ghost by say 4 strokes, the next time you play the ghost you must beat it by your last score. So if you had a career round and shoot 2 under you must shoot 2 under or better or risk loosing your points. In the first half of the season you play the ghost 4 times. Beat the ghost the first time and it screws you 3 times over.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

So I would have to ask how you would handle playing in a league where you do have to manage your handicap and not about about shooting your best score each week. It's structured more shooting your handicap without going too high or too low. When you play against the ghost you must shoot your handicap. If you beat the ghost by say 4 strokes, the next time you play the ghost you must beat it by your last score. So if you had a career round and shoot 2 under you must shoot 2 under or better or risk loosing your points.

That's not golf. That's stupid. I'd find a new league.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

So I would have to ask how you would handle playing in a league where you do have to manage your handicap and not about about shooting your best score each week. It's structured more shooting your handicap without going too high or too low. When you play against the ghost you must shoot your handicap. If you beat the ghost by say 4 strokes, the next time you play the ghost you must beat it by your last score. So if you had a career round and shoot 2 under you must shoot 2 under or better or risk loosing your points.

It's a twist I didn't understand last year but get it this year. There is a reason why our sharks hang out around 8 handicaps but you see them dip down every once in awhile to post a score. I posted a 34 last year one round and everyone was asking if I was sure I wanted to post that low of a score. Index was around a 2 and I lost 5 weeks in a row by net scores and fell out of the rankings. Last round I finally tied the ghost, got my points and didn't screw myself for the next time I play it. I was told it was inspired from from racing where you chase the ghost.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

guys at my club who "manage" their scores are considered cheats, and they find it tough to get a game.

As for "Also keep in mind there is $2500 on the line for the 1st place finisher too", the first thing that came to mind for me was the Winston Churchill anecdote:

Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "

Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price

It's a twist I didn't understand last year but get it this year. There is a reason why our sharks hang out around 8 handicaps but you see them dip down every once in awhile to post a score. I posted a 34 last year one round and everyone was asking if I was sure I wanted to post that low of a score. Index was around a 2 and I lost 5 weeks in a row by net scores and fell out of the rankings. Last round I finally tied the ghost, got my points and didn't screw myself for the next time I play it. I was told it was inspired from from racing where you chase the ghost.

It's pretty simple....You didn't do well last year because the sandbaggers screwed you over......This year, you have decided to screw over the honest players in the league and you want us to tell you it is OK because other sandbaggers have told you it is the thing to do.......Tell me were I am going wrong here.

If the social contacts are as good as you're saying I would focus on that and try to be a decent person that people enjoy being around instead of trying to massage my cap for 2500 while having the who's who whispering sandbagger every time I walk into the club. That's just my thought process though....

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

If the social contacts are as good as you're saying I would focus on that and try to be a decent person that people enjoy being around instead of trying to massage my cap for 2500 while having the who's who whispering sandbagger every time I walk into the club. That's just my thought process though....

++1!

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

Wtf is going on.

The fact that the words "managing my cap" can be said bums me out.

Beating a ghost, not shooting to low, ringers and baggers etc. Massaging your score from one week to the next instead of just putting the peg in the ground and trying to shoot low.

The whole point of the game is being missed here IMO.

Wtf is going on.

The fact that the words "managing my cap" can be said bums me out.

Beating a ghost, not shooting to low, ringers and baggers etc. Massaging your score from one week to the next instead of just putting the peg in the ground and trying to shoot low.

The whole point of the game is being missed here IMO.

We even have the occasional 15" hole that pops up from time to time. The golf club is packed 7 days a week and after 3pm during the week is League play. Each of these 9 hole Leagues are around 70 players deep. Its not traditional golf but is a sure lot more fun to play. The guys who maintain their pace at 8 handicaps seem to have the most fun every week. Go out and make your 44-45 week in and week out. Two long drives per 9, two closest to the pin challenges, longest putt. No pressure to shoot anything better then what your practice round qualification scores were. I think its more fun when you play strong in the first part of the round and you can kick back and coast on the way in. Then when I'm 5 over through 6 I'm battling just to get 1 stroke back to hit my cap number and maintain my points and not worried about if I'm going to shoot a career low that day. The low cap guys are the fish in the barrel so to speak.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

From the USGA handicapping manual:

"Two basic premises underlie the USGA Handicap System, namely that each player will try to make the best score at every hole in every round...."

Go out, shoot your best score and let the chips fall where they may. Sandbaggers are the lowest of the low, they ruin the game for the honest players.

"Two basic premises underlie the USGA Handicap System, namely that each player will try to make the best score at every hole in every round...."

Go out, shoot your best score and let the chips fall where they may. Sandbaggers are the lowest of the low, they ruin the game for the honest players.

So are you one of those poker players that walk into the back room of the bar and lay the WPT manual on the table before you play even though the house rules are different? USGA rules make the game hard and boring and that's why no one wants to play it. I have the opportunity on 1 of the 6 holes to have my round paid for each week, just like red pin bowling. I'm sure that's not in the PBA manual. Money makes this game go round. You must play a lot of free golf.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Cheating, plain and simple.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

So are you one of those poker players that walk into the back room of the bar and lay the WPT manual on the table before you play even though the house rules are different? USGA rules make the game hard and boring and that's why no one wants to play it. I have the opportunity on 1 of the 6 holes to have my round paid for each week, just like red pin bowling. I'm sure that's not in the PBA manual. Money makes this game go round. You must play a lot of free golf.

I don't play poker.

I don't bowl either, so I have no clue what "red pin bowling" is.

I have plenty of money, I don't have to sacrifice my integrity to make a few bucks.

I play plenty of golf, some casual, a lot of tournament golf where you must play by the boring USGA rules. I enjoy myself either way.

Its defiantly cheating under USGA rules. Our rules are structured so your virtual par is your handicap. New guys come in, pay your entrance fee, pay all your skins go out and shoot par and all the seasoned guys laugh at you while your dump your wallet out on the table each week. They wink at you and tell you good job "Johhny Tour Pro"! They tell you, "lose enough money and you will figure it out". Just looked at the league standings and we have 48 players with 7 handicaps or better.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

If you're worried about 2,500 dollars and having your golf paid for, the whos' whos' are gonna drop you faster than fresh dog waste when they find out you really can't hang with them anyway. What's the point?

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

I think that there is probably a lot more "handicap management" going on than people want to admit. Probably even some here who are chastising the loudest.

Anytime there is a competition going on, and especially if money is involved, it's happening. And most people, if they want to continue to play, without simply donating over and over again, will "accidentally" let a shot get away here and there in order to help down the road.

People eventually get tired of the same results over and over, so the old adage "if you can't beat them, join them" comes into play.

I'll give props to Hondabuff, at least he's up front about what's going on.

I don't play poker.

I don't bowl either, so I have no clue what "red pin bowling" is.

I have plenty of money, I don't have to sacrifice my integrity to make a few bucks.

I play plenty of golf, some casual, a lot of tournament golf where you must play by the boring USGA rules. I enjoy myself either way.

Red pin bowling is where there is one pin that's painted red and if it drops as the head pin you page the front desk. Most of the alley stops to watch and if you make a strike your round is free. I have played for 35 years now and golf is boring. You put your money on the line and now golf is not so boring. I ran into our one of our F1 guys last night at my sons baseball game that I'm tied with and I play him next week. He even said he circled the date cause he has to spot me 4 strokes. Last time I played him he dropped a 31 on me and he plays to -1 and completely ducked my best shot at him even after net scores were tallied in.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Its defiantly cheating under USGA rules. Our rules are structured so your virtual par is your handicap. New guys come in, pay your entrance fee, pay all your skins go out and shoot par and all the seasoned guys laugh at you while your dump your wallet out on the table each week. They wink at you and tell you good job "Johhny Tour Pro"! They tell you, "lose enough money and you will figure it out". Just looked at the league standings and we have 48 players with 7 handicaps or better.

Remember, we're internet posters. It's our job to be outraged about everything.

Remember, we're internet posters. It's our job to be outraged about everything.

That's the funniest thing I have read in awhile!! lol

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Hondabuff: what handicap system does this league use?

Does your league issue USGA Handicap Indexes? Or does your league use some other system/program?

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Does your league issue USGA Handicap Indexes? Or does your league use some other system/program?

League Handicap divided by 2 equals strokes given. We play mens tees and Handicap is calculated from tips. Screwy twist that took me awhile to figure out last year. So when I play a 8 hcp guy I give him 4. Since I'm a little under 4 I must shoot +1 to duck him if he shots his number to take the Stroke points, Match Count and Match Points. Then 4 times per half season you play the Ghost. Rule is to match the Ghost but don't beat him. So If I normally shoot a 40 and I beat the Ghost with a 38, The next time I play the ghost I have to match a 38 or the ghost wins and you lose all extra points. 2 points awarded for just showing up to play it. You are your own worse enemy at this point.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

League Handicap divided by 2 equals strokes given. We play mens tees and Handicap is calculated from tips. Screwy twist that took me awhile to figure out last year. So when I play a 8 hcp guy I give him 4. Since I'm a little under 4 I must shoot +1 to duck him if he shots his number to take the Stroke points, Match Count and Match Points.

You did not really answer my question(s). From your response, it looks like your league does not issue USGA Handicap Indexes. Is that correct?

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

League Handicap divided by 2 equals strokes given. We play mens tees and Handicap is calculated from tips. Screwy twist that took me awhile to figure out last year. So when I play a 8 hcp guy I give him 4. Since I'm a little under 4 I must shoot +1 to duck him if he shots his number to take the Stroke points, Match Count and Match Points.

You did not really answer my question(s). From your response, it looks like your league does not issue USGA Handicap Indexes. Is that correct?

The clubhouse has a GHIN computer but our league doesn't use it. Some home brew thing made by one of the web developers that's in our league.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6