US Open: Erin Hills

Hankshank

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Brooks! Love that he took an "alternate" route and was able to experience what he did. One thing I'd like to chime in on is the interesting dynamic between when younger guys versus veterans win a major or their first major. When Sergio, Rose, Scott, Mickelson all won their majors they were overcome with emotion after and all had rewarding/humbling press conferences. When I watched Koepka today I felt he was a bit too conceded, almost acting like it wasn't a big deal and assuming he'll win more. I mean there's a great chance this could be the highlight of his career and I hope he's truly enjoying it.

Yeah expected more than two mini fist pumps after winning your country's biggest tournament, the dream of almost every golfer in the nation

They kept saying the pros were walking 9 miles! How in the world does that course measure 9 miles walking? It's what, 7,800 yards. Most golf courses I play when they are 7,000 yards are about a 4-5 mile walk. I mapped this one out on Google, even using the farthest tee boxes and only go to 5.35 miles. Factor in some more distance for practice and moving around on the greens and you might get to 6, maybe at most 7 miles. But, I still don't see how they get to 9 miles? Am I wrong here?

Your 100% wrong. They walked 20 miles and hit 9 irons 250 yards.

did anyone notice Speith changed putters again?

Considering he finished T53 I missed it.

How did you miss it Thrill? They showed more of him than they did of Koepka. Every single shot...

Then the interview afterwards of course. Why interview him? He sucked. Where is the interview of Matsuyama, who finished second and moves to #2 in the world? Oh yeah, he ain't no white boy. Kinda sad.

He also doesn't speak english, so there's that... But no, racism must be the answer.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

They kept saying the pros were walking 9 miles! How in the world does that course measure 9 miles walking? It's what, 7,800 yards. Most golf courses I play when they are 7,000 yards are about a 4-5 mile walk. I mapped this one out on Google, even using the farthest tee boxes and only go to 5.35 miles. Factor in some more distance for practice and moving around on the greens and you might get to 6, maybe at most 7 miles. But, I still don't see how they get to 9 miles? Am I wrong here?

Consider this tweet earlier in the week by Justin Thomas --

Justin Thomas‏Verified account @JustinThomas34 Jun 14

Was curious what the walk was like out at Erin Hills today (including hour warm up)... as I thought, was a long one! And hilly 1f629.png1f463.png1f634.png

DCTtz4-WsAIYO6o.jpg

Admittedly, this was for his warm-up and practice round but if given the benefit of the doubt that each step equaled a yard, he walked 11 miles.

Was curious what the walk was like out at Erin Hills today (including hour warm up)... as I thought, was a long one! And hilly 1f629.png1f463.png1f634.png

DCTtz4-WsAIYO6o.jpg

Admittedly, this was for his warm-up and practice round but if given the benefit of the doubt that each step equaled a yard, he walked 11 miles.

Or maybe 8.62 miles, like the screenshot says.

DCTtz4-WsAIYO6o.jpg

Or maybe it was the 8.62 that it shows? Just a guess but then again I am married (thanks to PGArox for finally noticing, lol!).

Edit: dangit! Was beaten to the punch by DeadStick.

DCTtz4-WsAIYO6o.jpg

Yeah, I saw that tweet. The math just doesn't seem to add up for me, that's why I'm a bit confused. I wore my fitbit once golfing and it said I had over 20,000 steps. I know that was wrong!

Oh, and the tweet does include a distance at the bottom of 8.62 miles and he did that in only 4:11 hrs. So, even for a practice round where he was walking more, hitting multiple shots or different pitches/putts, he still didn't get to 9 miles.

In any route, it was a very long walk on a very hilly course, so props to the players and their caddies (Fluff - he's what, 70, I think)!

Thought Fox did a surprisingly good job with the coverage. Extensive use of pro-tracer really helps the viewing experience. Still hate Joe Buck but the rest of the crew was pretty good.

Koepka played great but seems like a very dull guy. Tough to root for him honestly, at least for me. No denying his talent though.

Course was nice, I am partial to tree-lined courses but this was not bad. Fairways were too wide though, tee shots were pretty boring since they almost always hit the fairway. All in all I like seeing birdies but weather or no weather, this course was too easy.

DCTtz4-WsAIYO6o.jpg

Yeah, I saw that tweet. The math just doesn't seem to add up for me, that's why I'm a bit confused. I wore my fitbit once golfing and it said I had over 20,000 steps. I know that was wrong!

Oh, and the tweet does include a distance at the bottom of 8.62 miles and he did that in only 4:11 hrs. So, even for a practice round where he was walking more, hitting multiple shots or different pitches/putts, he still didn't get to 9 miles.

In any route, it was a very long walk on a very hilly course, so props to the players and their caddies (Fluff - he's what, 70, I think)!

They don't walk as the crow flies. They walk forth and back and over and up and back and forth and over there and over here and back over there, then they walk back forth to over there forth and back again.

They probably walk 100 yards just on one green with their OCD reading of the break.

Plus those stepper Fitbit things will get triggered by vibrations, etc. So they're recording steps that aren't there. Like a cat-knittting waggle or that uncomfortable thing Keegan Bradley does/did.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I know a lot of people like to see the Pros struggle at the US Open... I do too...

-16 is not what we want to see, but it doesn't diminish Koepka's win. The greatest players outside of Phil showed up and most didn't make the cut. He won in dominating fashion today... period!

He's your US Champion until Shinnecock Hills next year...

The great players faded because the course played a putting contest crapshoot. Spin the roulette wheel and here's your US Open winner.

Folks, I'm starting to get the feeling that sekrah was a little disappointed this week.

Must be hard to stay angry for 9 hours straight ; )

ya well considering that 8 of the 9 hours he spent in the toilet shytin' peanut shells

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

How did you miss it Thrill? They showed more of him than they did of Koepka. Every single shot...

Then the interview afterwards of course. Why interview him? He sucked. Where is the interview of Matsuyama, who finished second and moves to #2 in the world? Oh yeah, he ain't no white boy. Kinda sad.

He also doesn't speak english, so there's that... But no, racism must be the answer.

Not racist, just a little xenophobic (in relation to the good ol' boy Spieth). The press does that to people from other countries. And even if he didn't speak English, I'm sure someone could have translated. Otherwise, how the heck does he get around for years now inside the US? And we are talking about the #2 player in the world. How much effort would it take to talk to him? If DJ went to play golf in Japan, I'm sure the Japanese press would just ignore the heck out of him because he doesn't speak Japanese. Right.

Keep in mind we are talking about Fox here.

It is seriously time to roll back the ball. 380 3 wood?

Let's not ignore the fact that Koepka is built like a truck and swings darn near 130mph....

No, you don't get it. These guys who want to roll back the ball say fitness or build or anything of the sort have anything to do with it.

Ok, but what about Fowler who's probably 170 with five pounds of sand in his pockets, on 18 today the guy covered 650 yards (granted 10-12 mph downwind) with a 3 wood and 3 iron.

Not racist, just a little xenophobic (in relation to the good ol' boy Spieth). The press does that to people from other countries. And even if he didn't speak English, I'm sure someone could have translated. Otherwise, how the heck does he get around for years now inside the US? And we are talking about the #2 player in the world. How much effort would it take to talk to him? If DJ went to play golf in Japan, I'm sure the Japanese press would just ignore the heck out of him because he doesn't speak Japanese. Right.

Keep in mind we are talking about Fox here.

Hideki has done lots of english language interviews. I think he can speak it but maybe he's insecure about it, he can definitely understand it. I even noticed him talking to the ball in english this week.

Let's not ignore the fact that Koepka is built like a truck and swings darn near 130mph....

No, you don't get it. These guys who want to roll back the ball say fitness or build or anything of the sort have anything to do with it.

Ok, but what about Fowler who's probably 170 with five pounds of sand in his pockets, on 18 today the guy covered 650 yards (granted 10-12 mph downwind) with a 3 wood and 3 iron.

These guys today all understand how to hit with tremendous power. It just isn't swinging hard. It's the efficiency in which they hit. Lag was never taught in Jack's day. You either had it or you didn't. Now that all have videos, trackman's, etc.

Sure the ball goes further and the equipment is better, but it's not just that. It's a combo of all these things.

And let's not forget the trampoline effect these guys get in the fairways on there drives.

Thought Fox did a surprisingly good job with the coverage. Extensive use of pro-tracer really helps the viewing experience. Still hate Joe Buck but the rest of the crew was pretty good.

Koepka played great but seems like a very dull guy. Tough to root for him honestly, at least for me. No denying his talent though.

Course was nice, I am partial to tree-lined courses but this was not bad. Fairways were too wide though, tee shots were pretty boring since they almost always hit the fairway. All in all I like seeing birdies but weather or no weather, this course was too easy.

Koepka has the personality of an empty soda can.

These guys today all understand how to hit with tremendous power. It just isn't swinging hard. It's the efficiency in which they hit. Lag was never taught in Jack's day. You either had it or you didn't. Now that all have videos, trackman's, etc.

Sure the ball goes further and the equipment is better, but it's not just that. It's a combo of all these things.

And let's not forget the trampoline effect these guys get in the fairways on there drives.

It was a rhetorical question, you forgot course conditioning which helps a ton also.

Really great finish by Koepka. The driving he produced was absolutely hillarious, and he really put down the pedal down the stretch.

As a venue I think Erin Hills was well above average, Not really spectacular, there was a sameness to the holes but far more exciting than Pinehurst or Oakmont where everything looks as long par fours all the same. Fairways could have been somewhat narrower, and there should have been more bunkers, water or whatever traps. The Fescue was the ONLY problem for the guys off the tee.

But what really spoiled the party was the softness of the greens. And with all the rain before it's hard to blame anyone.

But all in all, Better than Pinehurst 2013 and Chambers Bay, but worse than Merion.

Brooks had this from the moment that he started birdie-birdie.

For the first time, in a long time, I gave up before the end of a major. There were a number of factors behind that including a game of pub golf which was really taking it's toll from the night before but as I went to bed, I knew that it was Brooks to lose and on the front 9 it just didn't seem like he was going to. Woke up this morning and there was no surprise that he won.

Nice for him to get the win. With the game that he has in full flight, he doesn't win as much as he should but then, how many guys have we said that about over the last 5 years or so?

As for Erin Hills, I definitely enjoyed the course this week but the tournament itself seemed to be a little lacking. Part of that was because so many of the big names were missing from the leaderboard if not the weekend entirely, we had no Tiger and no Phil for the first time in forever and there was no sense of history being at a course we have never seen before. I sat and watched the entire broadcast on Friday night from 6pm UK time until 2am I think it was and there is not much I can remember from it. Usually when a major is on, it's awesome to be sat watching it and I forego going out to play myself. I would have much rather been out on the course playing myself this Friday night past.

Roll on Royal Birkdale - hopefully, it will be a lot more interesting!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Congratulations to Brooks! Love that he took an "alternate" route and was able to experience what he did. One thing I'd like to chime in on is the interesting dynamic between when younger guys versus veterans win a major or their first major. When Sergio, Rose, Scott, Mickelson all won their majors they were overcome with emotion after and all had rewarding/humbling press conferences. When I watched Koepka today I felt he was a bit too conceded, almost acting like it wasn't a big deal and assuming he'll win more. I mean there's a great chance this could be the highlight of his career and I hope he's truly enjoying it.

Yeah expected more than two mini fist pumps after winning your country's biggest tournament, the dream of almost every golfer in the nation

When you hole a short putt for the win usually the celebration is pretty quiet, I like to think that is the motivation (look at Kaymer, Day or Spieth)

When you hole a short putt for the win usually the celebration is pretty quiet, I like to think that is the motivation (look at Kaymer, Day or Spieth)

Plus there was another group behind him. He may not have known that Harman had already laid up too.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

good tournament, good golf course, good tv coverage and good and deserving winner...

major championship atmosphere....no.

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Plus there was another group behind him. He may not have known that Harman had already laid up too.

you cant go crazy when there are golfers still behind you. classy move by Koepka.

Random observations. Tommy Fleetwood's caddie must be 6'6" or more. Not once did I hear one of the "mashed potatoes, bababooey" idiots. Well done, Wisconsinites. Brooks Koepka can play, as well as hit it long, very impressive. I realize that the USGA cannot control the weather, but counting on dry hard conditions in the Midwest at this time of year is going to leave any course defenseless when that is the defense. It may be the size of the course, but the crowds seemed a little light. Par 5's no longer exist, at least at the tour level. Holly looked good, but it must be time consuming to have your outfits done with body paint. I would like to see a casual round with Koepka and DJ. The oddest Open I have seen, but life will go on.

no mashed potatoes?? the cheese heads were much worse than mashed potatoes guy ... Keopkas group was followedby them and they shouted all day after every shot he hit ....

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock