2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Fowler, soft ? Content loser ? Spoiled ?

TheSliceKing

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a lazy, easy take to say that someone who looks like they are actually having fun and enjoying themselves doesn't "want" it. It's a very old school mindset that comes from the same generation that thinks people who look angry in an office and are going through marital problems must be great employees.

These guys are like the scouts at the beginning of "moneyball"

WTF???...

I didn't think it was that hard to follow. People think Rickie fowler is content and doesn't want it enough because of his perceived demeanor, but demeanor alone is not necessarily reflective of someone's work ethic or drive, and a lot of what we expect in terms of demeanor is based on very dated ways of thinking, like for example someone in an office looking frustrated must be working hard and someone who looks happy must not be (sadly, I still hear this occasionally)

Have you seen moneyball? Good scene at the beginning where scouts are making judgements about a players ability because of how attractive his girlfriend is. It's used to illustrate archaic views on how to judge people

This.

All of this.

Seriously. Number 9 in the world doesn't care about winning. Right. Maybe if he cared more he would win less. Or maybe he already tries very hard, and has improved his game a lot under Butch. Koepka played awesome.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I'm going to give Rickie a pass on his attitude post round. About hole 14 he knew he was out of it. He had another hour and a half to be mad about it, and by the time he probably finished he was focused on trying to make good swings and have a strong finish. It was pretty obvious he wasn't on his 'A' game on Sunday and turned his attitude to positive. Shoot if I finished 10 under in a U.S. Open after missing the cut the week before I would be thinking my game was moving in the right direction too. he can't play defense on Brooks Koepka preventing him from catching fire on the back 9.

You can't win the Scottish Open, Dubai Championship, and Players charging from behind if you don't have a little bit of competitive fire.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

When does not crying or beating yourself up mean your not competitive? Being told he was one of most overrated golfers on the PGA tour and responding by having one of if not the best closing holes ever on a Sunday at the Players makes be think he is competitive. It's not like a super bowl where the season is over. Why wouldn't you want to have positive thoughts going into your next tournament? When they say having a short term memory is essential in golf to forget a bad swing or bad hole must not apply to fowler.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

I always find these types of threads the most amusing because you have guys commenting as though they have any earthly clue about what it takes to win and be a winner when they couldn't win a game of solitaire if they friggin cheated?????

We're speaking of an individual who has been as high as #4 in the world(2014) and has now risen back inside the Top-10 in the world along with having finished in the Top-5 in every Major and like the Serg, I definitely believe that Rickie will get at least one Major under his belt.

He has won more $$$ than all but THIRTY ONE individuals who have Played for pay on the PGA Tour, EVER!!!

#32 ALL TIME!!!!!

This is probably THE nicest guy who's an Elite World Class athlete that you'd actually wanna spend any time with and hang with. He's a very spiritual individual yet doesn't wear it on his sleeve like a few others in that "group," he always takes time for his fans, even when he's had a rough day and ya know that he's rather be anywhere else but standing there having hats, programs and everything else jammed in his face, yet you will never hear of him snapping or refusing to sign.

He was raised and more importantly learned to put others before himself, whether it's the fans or his country, when the easy thing to have done was to skip the Olympics, as so many did, yet he accepted, showed up, and relished the experience(ok, so he Played like .....?, he was there for the experience, lol)

Rickie's fine and he's gonna be fine!

Oh, and all this stuff that the Rickster's gotta "learn," to turn the corner?

?????

Typing this post has made me smile more than I've smiled this week, lol

Thank You!!

You guys are the friggin Best!!!!!!!

Winners all?????

Have a great weekend?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have no idea if Fowler has what it takes to win a major. Some of that simply comes down to luck and timing.

What I do find silly is questioning the drive of a golfer who is ranked in the top ten in the world. Only someone who has never played a sport at a high level would think that you can reach that level of excellence without a burning desire and ability to put in an incredible number of hours of training and practicing.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be shocked at how hard even the the guys that are perceived as "lazy" by most casual golfers actually work on their games.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I have no idea if Fowler has what it takes to win a major. Some of that simply comes down to luck and timing.

What I do find silly is questioning the drive of a golfer who is ranked in the top ten in the world. Only someone who has never played a sport at a high level would think that you can reach that level of excellence without a burning desire and ability to put in an incredible number of hours of training and practicing.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be shocked at how hard even the the guys that are perceived as "lazy" by most casual golfers actually work on their games.

Great post and you're first sentence sums it up!!

And "luck" is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation & performance, and Rickie just has to keep putting himself in the position to challenge on the back on Sunday~

And no, in response to a message, he's NOTHIN like Colin~

Colin couldn't win a two day 36 hole unofficial All-Star Charity event with a 3 stroke lead over VIjay with 4 to Play, lol(Frank B Fuhrer/Family House Invitational), much less a regular 72 hole PGA event.

And I really like the guy but come on, to put Ricky in his class??

I'm not allowed to post my 5 letter acronym that signifies my total disdain and disgust for a post or thought however suffice to say that I would post it here followed by 3-5 explanation marks?

Wait, I just thought of this!!!!

GOH!!!!!

How's that?

Not the same?

I agree so that will be the first and last time that I ever post that, lol

Apologies ?

Nice post Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Fowler is a welcome addition to the PGA tour. Hard to find something wrong with him except, of course, for people on this board. Ha

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I think people have forgot what a classy loser looks like. All the guys I know on tour have said the same thing there are two guys on tour that NOBODY can say a bad thing about and that is Rickie and Steve Stricker. What Rickie gets and most people don't is that he realizes that this "moment" isn't about him not getting it done but about Brooks GETTING it done. He is not going to steal his limelight by saying basically implying it was his to lose and he really messed it up. In my mind Rickie was honestly the only one who had a realistic chance at catching Harman and winning. I was shocked Harman stayed in as long as he did. Rickie cares, he completely turned his attitude around and made some fairly major adjustments to his swing after he has already had a ton of success. It is hilarious that people think they know how much he cares or "wants" it. Unreal.

Just wanted to say that I'm surprised and pleased that this hasn't turned into a discussion of his tats. Seems we are evolving...at least until arpeggi gets here.

Haha I've been waiting for that

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Fowler is our modern day Payne Stewart.

Brilliant assessment there - you are spot on .

That's fair. Payne probably didn't win as much as he should have. But he did end up with 3 majors. Rickie has time but he needs to focus.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Millions in the bank + Allison Stokke = Haters gonna hate.

:haha:

Fowler-Stokke-595x334.jpg

For real! Dude is as cool as the other side of the pillow, young, handsome, rich, accomplished and dating a smoke. Putter stroke is silk and his bunker game is ridiculous but trolls are gonna hate on this kid. I liken him to Phil in the sense that he's always going for broke and wears his emotions on his sleeve without being a punk. He may not always win but when he does it'll be emphatic (see Players Champ highlights).

Can we stop comparing everyone to Tiger's timeline? "Oh he hasn't won enough yet." Cmon

All this mental makeup speculation in sports is getting out of control. People love to criticize the mindsets of others because it makes them feel superior for some reason. As much as people love to think golf is a "mental" game, it really isn't. Chess is a mental game. Poker is a mental game. In those activities, the best thinkers win. Golf is a physical activity and the player who physically gets the ball in the hole best wins. Rickie hasn't won majors because people have got the ball in the hole better than him over 72 holes. When his physical golf game is better than his competition over a 72 hole major, he will win.

He wants rickie to say he's pissed off, not be pissed off, just say it. Because saying hes pissed off will malert rickie a champion.

This guy clearly has an extremely low level of emotional intelligence and complete ignorance of the fact that people rarely tell you exactly how they feel. He also lacks understanding that while somone may have a laid back nature they are trying and fighting as hard as anyone else.

Rickie is going to win a lot of golf tournaments he has a shot at the next 50 odd majors but is competing against a field of top players sized from 70 something to 140 or so? Variance is what it is and it might never fall into place for him with such a small sample size against a large field. Winning majors takes a bit of luck as well as skill unless you are so much better than the majority of the field that you are really only competing against 2 or 3 guys who are hot that week every time like tiger.

Look at Speith his winning % is like 8%? So he has a good shot to win 1 major in the next 12 but there is a decent chance that he doesn't win any more at all. Someone chips in on him here or a putt lips out there and he could play great golf and have it not be his fault at all, the margins are just tiny. Rable Rable

As much as people love to think golf is a "mental" game, it really isn't. Chess is a mental game. Poker is a mental game. In those activities, the best thinkers win. Golf is a physical activity and the player who physically gets the ball in the hole best wins.

How much competitive golf have you played? Have you ever heard of the term "course management"?

Just because physical exertion is part of the game doesn't mean it is the ONLY part. Bob Rotella is a name for a reason.

I was pissed off all the time, was a decent player, and couldn't beat anybody

It's amazing how when I learned not to be like this my game improved leaps and bounds. Don't get me wrong, I still get upset with a dumb mistake but let it go very quickly now and laugh it off where it used to affect at least a few holes if not the rest of the round and my playing partners, which was the worst part.

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

As much as people love to think golf is a "mental" game, it really isn't. Chess is a mental game. Poker is a mental game. In those activities, the best thinkers win. Golf is a physical activity and the player who physically gets the ball in the hole best wins.

How much competitive golf have you played? Have you ever heard of the term "course management"?

Just because physical exertion is part of the game doesn't mean it is the ONLY part. Bob Rotella is a name for a reason.

A lot. Played in college at mid-major D1 level, have done q-school, have caddied on web.com before. Most top players do just fine at course management. It's a relatively easy learned skill and those who don't never make it in the first place. I think there's some good stuff out there as it relates to breathing techniques/stress management, but I also think the whole mental component of golf is overstated. Yes, the best players ever/today were/are great mentally, but they also brought incredibly unique physical skillsets that allowed them to play different games than their competitors. Rickie doesn't seem to have any physical competitive advantage relative to his peers, IMO. That would explain his results to me more than some vague "mindset" type of thing. He is a great player, I just see no reason to have these absurd expectations with him.