Things that bug me while watching pro golf.

Moleman

I've really enjoyed all six pages of this post. I agree with most of it (e.g., P. Reed's pants--they look like something you could buy off the rack in the women's department at Walmart), so I won't repeat. My biggest peeve--so far, unmentioned--is Peter Jacobson. Why can't he just shut up sometimes? He has nothing to say, yet prattles on, and on, and on. I have to mute the tv sometimes just to continue watching. And "Jake's Takes" are sophomoric and unamusing. (Why aren't they using Feherty more, instead?) As to CBS, Nance is easy to take compared to that kid "King What's-his-name's Hot Seat." Finally, all of you commentators stop gushing about 340 yd. drives that included 60yds. of roll downhill. He hit it an honest 280 in the air--impressive, but not epic. Back in South Carolina, we used to play The Country Club of South Carolina the Monday after the (then) Nike Tour event. The fairways were cut like our greens. I'm a short-hitter, but I'd gain at least 30yds. on my usual drives.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand it when a pro spends five minutes reading the green, aligning his ball, making his practice strokes, and then marks the one to two foot tap in that they have left after missing their first putt.

Dang man! They've got 5 digit dollar amounts tied to those little (and very miss-able) putts! Remember, they aren't playing for dollar skins!

I can't stand it when a pro spends five minutes reading the green, aligning his ball, making his practice strokes, and then marks the one to two foot tap in that they have left after missing their first putt.

Dang man! They've got 5 digit dollar amounts tied to those little (and very miss-able) putts! Remember, they aren't playing for dollar skins!

True, but not all the time on every putt. How about they mark, re-align, then tap in? Very frequently I see them mark, toss it back to the caddie to clean, let another player putt, etc. Just seems like it would speed the game up to play it out.

True, but not all the time on every putt. How about they mark, re-align, then tap in? Very frequently I see them mark, toss it back to the caddie to clean, let another player putt, etc. Just seems like it would speed the game up to play it out.

There are better ways to speed up the game, in my opinion. If you want to say the game should be sped up, I think we would be in the same camp there. But it shouldn't be done by asking players not to take their time over putts that may appear to be "easy" or "short", but in reality matter, A LOT.

"Not all the time in every putt" isn't a great caveat here, either. Every single stroke is counted in the final score, which ultimately determines what your paycheck looks like as a tour pro. It can also be refuted by simply saying, "yeah well they don't 'toss it back to the caddy to clean, let another player putt, etc.' every time either".

I get what you are saying and where you are coming from as a fan of golf, but you have to be able to look at this from the athlete's perspective, as well.

There are better ways to speed up the game, in my opinion. If you want to say the game should be sped up, I think we would be in the same camp there. But it shouldn't be done by asking players not to take their time over putts that may appear to be "easy" or "short", but in reality matter, A LOT.

"Not all the time in every putt" isn't a great caveat here, either. Every single stroke is counted in the final score, which ultimately determines what your paycheck looks like as a tour pro. It can also be refuted by simply saying, "yeah well they don't 'toss it back to the caddy to clean, let another player putt, etc.' every time either".

I get what you are saying and where you are coming from as a fan of golf, but you have to be able to look at this from the athlete's perspective, as well.

I understand what you are saying and don't dispute the validity of your perspective. The thread just asked for things that bug us watching golf.

I understand what you are saying and don't dispute the validity of your perspective. The thread just asked for things that bug us watching golf.

Ha! Good point. I can see where I got a little off track there. I don't particularly enjoy the amount of air time devoted to this stuff either...

CBS late in a round: 2 shots, 1 minute of leaderboard with that annoying background music, 3 minute commercial. Rinse and repeat. The last hour of their broadcasts are about 20% golf, 50% commercial, and the rest is Jim Nantz talking like he's reciting poetry. Ian Baker-Finch is also guilty of using a poetic tone for regular talking. Watching a broadcast on DVR makes this slightly more bearable, except that one spends an inordinate amount of time fast forwarding.

Jim Nantz is the world's biggest blow-hard. The word "sycophant" was invented because the world needed one word to sum the man up.

For all of it's faults, the Fox US Open broadcast's videography and use of tracers was so much better than what CBS does. The "classic" shot of the ball in the air with nothing but sky behind it is totally useless. Tracers on approach shots make it so much more enjoyable.

"Bababooey" "get in the hole" "mashed potatoes". It's shocking how this perpetuates. Sort of sad to know how many attention seeking morons exist in the world, and how many of them like golf.

All broadcasts should be available with an alternate broadcast crew that consists only of David Feherty and one other person (to be determined) to give him fuel for come-backers. McCord shall not be considered for the role- he thinks he's a lot funnier than he is.

Did I mention I can't stand Jim Nantz?

Edit: Spell the guy's name right if you're gonna b**** about him

Can't we just get to know the actual clubs used and ball flight so we can learn something? Distance carry roll. Don't they have a trackman range? Sure they can set it up for a course. That plus using game golf to ID the clubs. Show the lie, what club they took, three quarter punch shot whatever. That part is the hardest I guess.

That would be awesome. Too often they'll hit 7 iron from 205 or whatever, and the announcers will just leave it at that. They won't mention that it's downwind, or slightly downhill. But more importantly, they won't put out that the ball carried more like 185 or whatever, and then jumped forward.

Of course every shot has big implications......and many times when you see them mark a short one it is because they can't putt it because they would be standing either in their partners line or through line.

CBS late in a round: 2 shots, 1 minute of leaderboard with that annoying background music, 3 minute commercial. Rinse and repeat. The last hour of their broadcasts are about 20% golf, 50% commercial, and the rest is Jim Nance talking like he's reciting poetry. Ian Baker-Finch is also guilty of using a poetic tone for regular talking. Watching a broadcast on DVR makes this slightly more bearable, except that one spends an inordinate amount of time fast forwarding.

Jim Nance is the world's biggest blow-hard. The word "sycophant" was invented because the world needed one word to sum the man up.

For all of it's faults, the Fox US Open broadcast's videography and use of tracers was so much better than what CBS does. The "classic" shot of the ball in the air with nothing but sky behind it is totally useless. Tracers on approach shots make it so much more enjoyable.

"Bababooey" "get in the hole" "mashed potatoes". It's shocking how this perpetuates. Sort of sad to know how many attention seeking morons exist in the world, and how many of them like golf.

All broadcasts should be available with an alternate broadcast crew that consists only of David Feherty and one other person (to be determined) to give him fuel for come-backers. McCord shall not be considered for the role- he thinks he's a lot funnier than he is.

Did I mention I can't stand Jim Nance?

Who's Jim Nance?

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Oban Devotion
Titleist 913fd 15* Diamana D+
Ping i25 19*
Titleist 714 AP2/MB KBS Tour (3-P)
Vokey 52F, TVD 58M
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

It's most often done to avoid standing in someone's line or through line, especially when playing threesomes.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I wish they would crank up the volume on the piped-in bird sounds immediately after impact on tee shots. That way, it might cover up the "mashed potato" and "bababooey" crowd. I'd rather hear a squawking crow than some idiot yelling, "Santa Claus is coming to town!" Seriously heard someone yell that at Hartford.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

I'm turned off by the corporatised, cookie cutter look of golf these days, as well as the dominance of annoying American commentary and the US PGA Tour with those Woods-era idiot spectators yelling dumbass stuff at every tee. That said, my gripes with pro golf will never stop me playing and enjoying the game, but it definitely feels like golf has lost a lot of its soul and style since I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. A good start to fix this would perhaps be a world PGA tour supplanting the US and European tours.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

I'm turned off by the corporatised, cookie cutter look of golf these days, as well as the dominance of annoying American commentary and the US PGA Tour with those Woods-era idiot spectators yelling dumbass stuff at every tee. That said, my gripes with pro golf will never stop me playing and enjoying the game, but it definitely feels like golf has lost a lot of its soul and style since I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. A good start to fix this would perhaps be a world PGA tour supplanting the US and European tours.

I'm afraid that nothing will fix the idiots. They procreate faster than we do.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

Haha, good call.

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

CBS late in a round: 2 shots, 1 minute of leaderboard with that annoying background music, 3 minute commercial. Rinse and repeat. The last hour of their broadcasts are about 20% golf, 50% commercial, and the rest is Jim Nance talking like he's reciting poetry. Ian Baker-Finch is also guilty of using a poetic tone for regular talking. Watching a broadcast on DVR makes this slightly more bearable, except that one spends an inordinate amount of time fast forwarding.

Jim Nance is the world's biggest blow-hard. The word "sycophant" was invented because the world needed one word to sum the man up.

Did I mention I can't stand Jim Nance?

Who's Jim Nance?

James “Jim” Nance was an American industrialist and president of Packard. Many years later he shifted gears and ran the Central National Bank of Cleveland. Additionally, he was chairman of the executive committee of Montgomery Ward and served as chairman of the board of trustees of CSU,

Haha, good call.

Results of a generation of drunken one night stands lol

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

1. the lack of adjustable fast-forward speed control on my TiVo box. Either 1.25 times the normal speed or too fast. There is nothing more boring than to see people prepare for putts.

2. The sideburns of Casey makes him look chimp.

3. Westwoods tounge

4. Spieth, Hadwin and all of the meanies

5. Interview bullshitting. And interviews with DJ in general.

6. All the red putters

7. The outfits of Sergio and Rahm.

8. W Simpson and K Bradley in general, Bubba in his moods.

9. Get in the hole

10. Guys not yelling fore

11. Central Scandinavian referees saying "perfect" about shots that actually not drop into the hole. There is a lot of irritating stuff about the referees here, but I will not bother you with further details on the subject.