2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

Rough was non existent

I remember when I started watching golf in the 80s and there were a lot of irons off the tee, because you couldn't afford to hit it in the rough

Winner of the open hit 42% of fairways and shoots 268

Bring back the rough

Agree about Carnoustie but I'd definitely argue St. George's is harder than RB and lytham, muirfield + turnberry too(new layout is amazing )

Rough was thin due to a dry summer. Can't control the weather.

Rough was there but dry as it was a very hot may and June.....Remember 2008??? It killed the field as a well over total won it. But that's the open, and to call RB easy is laughable

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched shows about the Open with Trevino and Player recently and in them you will see caddies retrieving the ball from the hole.

The mentioned during broadcast it was something Player and Watson had done under similar circumstances. Maybe it's a superstition.

If it wasn't, it probably will be now.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

If not designating the practice ground OoB, at least make it a compulsory drop in some knee-high rough.

So on top of one shot penalty, add another?

He had the option to go back to the tee for one penalty shot....would have probably made six. I think the "unplayable" rule 28 that allows you to go back as far as you like was probably created for when you hit deep into trees, 2 club lengths would still leave you unplayable. Makes sense in that situation. 'Bending' this rule allowed Spieth to get a perfect lie and salvage a five. If I did this in my weekend group I would get some sarcastic comments. Don't blame him though....all the pros seem to have no problem bending the rules....Dustin Johnson took questionable 'line of sight' relief from a TV tower in 2016 US Open. I think it goes against the spirit of the game....play it as it lies!

Good grief. Going back to the tee not only gives him a stroke penalty but also the distance penalty. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, would rather hit 3 from the tee instead of three from 250 ahead. There is no requirement to take any one option over the other two, whether you are a pro and elite am, or a hacker, and the player is the SOLE JUDGE as to whether his/her ball is unplayable

Having the necessary television towers, tour vans and grandstands on the course in play for a professional tournament may in fact unnecessarily affect the play of a hole and as a result, there are rules which govern those obstructions, because after all, they are not in the spirit of the game.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

If not designating the practice ground OoB, at least make it a compulsory drop in some knee-high rough.

He had the option to go back to the tee for one penalty shot....would have probably made six. I think the "unplayable" rule 28 that allows you to go back as far as you like was probably created for when you hit deep into trees, 2 club lengths would still leave you unplayable. Makes sense in that situation. 'Bending' this rule allowed Spieth to get a perfect lie and salvage a five. If I did this in my weekend group I would get some sarcastic comments. Don't blame him though....all the pros seem to have no problem bending the rules....Dustin Johnson took questionable 'line of sight' relief from a TV tower in 2016 US Open. I think it goes against the spirit of the game....play it as it lies!

There was no rule "bent". One uses that option quite often in the desert, or in the bushes or in the rough. It corresponds to the water hazard option. He took the penalty stoke to move the ball, clearly he thought it was unplayable enough to throw a stoke to move away from the hole.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

no rule was "bent", they were strictly adhered to, rules officials were on the scene supervising. your weekend group sound like a bunch of dopes

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

From what I understand there is no OB on most of the Links courses except around the perimeter of the course. JS didn't bend anything. Christ he had about 10 rules officials around him.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

the fact that you "think" the rule was created for some specific, and different application, makes no difference. The rule clearly states that the player can go as far back as he wants as long as he keeps the point between himself and the hole.

It is the player's right to choose the option that he feels best suits him.

How in the world you come to the conclusion that a rule was bent is beyond understanding.

Your Saturday group may give you some grief if you take 30 minutes to play the hole, and that is very understandable.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Soooooooo, lemme make sure I've got this straight ;)

In front of 7-10 rules officials, Television cameras, on course fans present, not to mention the millions of TV sets around the world with rules aficionados ready and waiting to pounce, Jordan "bent" the rules????

Not to mention HIS Integrity

Gents, this isn't one of your yahoo buds or your beer league ???

Seriously, you actually believe that Jordan Speith "bent" the rules?

Why is this not being bantered about anyplace but this god forsaken board????

Seriously???

Here....bend this ;)

All the Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

a lot of monday morning quarterbacking on Jordan Spieth's perfectly legal and well thought off drop on the 13th..

get over it guys...it was a brilliant move which contributed a lot to his eventual and historic win!!

am only bummed i fell asleep after the 12th hole!!!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

no rule was "bent", they were strictly adhered to, rules officials were on the scene supervising. your weekend group sound like a bunch of dopes

Right! when he was "bending" the rules he was being advised by this group of dudes who belong to this little organization called the R&A. In case your not up on your current, and not so current, events they have been writing the rules of golf for about 500 years. I swear to God I get dumber every time I read posts like this. The internet is making people dumber not smarter.

The fact of the matter is one of the reasons JS is who he is , is because he keeps his composure and thinks clearly in situations when others would lose their minds and think it is a lost cause. WE SHOULD BE PRIASING HIM for using the rules to his advantage and righting the ship not insinuating he is a cheater. It is why he is a champion and others fall short.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I swear to God I get dumber every time I read posts like this. The internet is making people dumber not smarter.

THIS

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I swear to God I get dumber every time I read posts like this. The internet is making people dumber not smarter.

THIS

you have the wonder if it's chatbots designed to generate more posts by provocation, or if there are really this many sour-grape types out there. If the latter, those grapes are sour to the point of bitterness given the indigestion in those who still can't swallow them. lol

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

You need to learn the rules of golf. There was NO bending of the rules this week. Not even a hint of bending the rules.

OH, and BTW, if your buddies don't allow you to follow the rules of golf you need a new golf group.

Speith new the rules better than the r&a!!

Not one rule was bent at all...period! It was the last round of the open ffs, and he made sure 100% everything was done right. It took time because of the 1000s of people actually watching the golf and he was miles off line!

I just can't get my head over why some want to bash a truly great player that's from your home land.....Speith has gone up so much in my mind as them last 5 holes were the best I've ever seen. What a friggin player and if I see him in the pub all I want to do shake his hand and buy him a pint!

a lot of monday morning quarterbacking on Jordan Spieth's very legal and well thought off drop on the 13th..

get over it guys...it was a brilliant move which contributed a lot to his eventual and historic win!!

am only bummed i fell asleep after the 12th hole!!!!

I thought, at the moment of highest stress, Jordan showed great clarity of thinking, took the best possible drop, and then took full advantage of it. What a turnaround! What a fabulous win by a great young player! Jordan has "the magic"!!!

Further, any golfer who takes up the game of golf seriously, MUST learn the rules comprehensively and completely. Nicklaus did, and so did Tiger & Seve (and others). And I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching a player telling a gaggle of Rules Officials how their rules work - well done, Jordan!

Matthew Southgate will get in to the British Open next year at his home course at Carnoustie. His story is a remarkable one as he's overcome cancer to get back to the tour.

We were talking to a load of his mates on Saturday. Great bunch of lads. Small correction - hes actually from Southend, near me, in Essex, which is east of London, down in the south. Carnoustie is near Dundee in Scotland, about 360 miles away. Not that far in US terms, but on our little island, it doesnt get a great deal further than that. ☺

Speith new the rules better than the r&a!!

I sense this sentence may have a grammatical and a factual error, or two.

No - its just a great put down of the governing body! [and an extra k could have helped]

"Speith"...

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W