Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Apparently it's the 5 iron specifically that is back ordered. I was told they ship the components they have, and then will ship the 5 iron once it comes in. Really has me on the fence whether to order or not. I guess getting a 6-AW set is better than nothing. Certainly don't want to wait until late November for the entire set.

I ordered the 5 - PW. Got a call a couple of days later from Roger Dunn that the order had shipped, but the 5 iron was back ordered and won't arrive until sometime in mid November. No explanation.

Now I'm pregnant with this partial set that will not likely gap properly between my 6 iron and my 4 hybrid, until the 5 iron shows up. Now I'm wondering if something is amiss at Taylormade. A 5 iron is part of almost any set, why would they be short on supply for that head? I could see a 2 or 3 iron being produced at fewer numbers with the growth in hybrids.

Doesn't help their PR to ship a short set and have no explanation. "Thanks for the cash, we'll dribble your set to you and you should be good to go, sometime before Christmas..." :mellow:

Apparently it's the 5 iron specifically that is back ordered. I was told they ship the components they have, and then will ship the 5 iron once it comes in. Really has me on the fence whether to order or not. I guess getting a 6-AW set is better than nothing. Certainly don't want to wait until late November for the entire set.

I ordered the 5 - PW. Got a call a couple of days later from Roger Dunn that the order had shipped, but the 5 iron was back ordered and won't arrive until sometime in mid November. No explanation.

Now I'm pregnant with this partial set that will not likely gap properly between my 6 iron and my 4 hybrid, until the 5 iron shows up. Now I'm wondering if something is amiss at Taylormade. A 5 iron is part of almost any set, why would they be short on supply for that head? I could see a 2 or 3 iron being produced at fewer numbers with the growth in hybrids.

Doesn't help their PR to ship a short set and have no explanation. "Thanks for the cash, we'll dribble your set to you and you should be good to go, sometime before Christmas..." :mellow:

maybe the 5 iron shaft is not available, my friend told me during the round he order a full set 4-aw but TM said the 4 and 5 iron shaft is back order. so he told TM go head just ship the 6-aw.

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I ordered my set last week. 4-PW Modus 120s and the 4 iron arrived today. The rest of the set is arriving tomorrow. The 4 iron was unexpected since they said it would not ship out until late November.

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

What shaft are people liking in these?

I am thinking about ordering a set, but can't settle on a shaft. The one's I have played recently are c-taper 130x SS, Modus 125S, and PX LZ 6.5, like em all.

The ctaper 130 is a bit much for me, the Modus just launch really low in my JPX 900F, really liking the LZ's in my current set. No Modus 125, or PX LZ (well it is upcharge for LZ).

I am thinking about a KBS Tour 130, or DG S300 AMT, surely the KBS will launch higher. I don't know what to do.

I want to try the Modus 130, but am not sure the profile will fit me.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I am thinking about ordering a set, but can't settle on a shaft. The one's I have played recently are c-taper 130x SS, Modus 125S, and PX LZ 6.5, like em all.

The ctaper 130 is a bit much for me, the Modus just launch really low in my JPX 900F, really liking the LZ's in my current set. No Modus 125, or PX LZ (well it is upcharge for LZ).

I am thinking about a KBS Tour 130, or DG S300 AMT, surely the KBS will launch higher. I don't know what to do.

I just got mine yesterday with Modus 130 x flex soft stepped 1 time. I currently play Ping S55 with Modus 125 x flex. When I was fit a club champion they fitted me into the PX LZ 6.5. I really wasn't a big fan of the PX LZ so I just stuck with my S55/125 combo.

Now I only have one round with the 790's so take this with a grain of salt, but I really did like them. To me it seemed like the long irons were flying higher than the pings but the short irons were flying lower. I never experienced any ballooning and had no problem getting the ball to stop. A couple of the wedges shots backed up a foot or two, 7&8 irons seemed to stop with a foot or two of the pitch mark . In the 790's I was roughly 10-12 yards longer with the 4&5 iron, 6-8 longer with the 6,7,8 iron and roughly 3-4 yards longer with the 9&PW. ( I hit 4 balls into every green with both 6 irons, 7 irons etc.) The one complaint I had with my S55's was my long irons were bunched up distance wise. The 790's seemed to be spread out a bit more.

I did mess around and try to hit some high cuts or low draws with the 790's. I couldn't work the ball quite as much with them as I could with the S55's, but I was expecting that. I could definitely flight them higher or lower but getting them to move left or right wasn't quite as easy.

I am a high ball hitter originally i was going to go with the modus 130x ss once but when all was said and done for my fitting the modus 120x ss once were the best choice. Better trajectory and same dispersion which for me having the 130’s on my mizuno mp-25’s was good dispersion. With the lighter shaft i have picked up some swing speed but love the way the shaft feels and the ball flight. Have picked up about 5-7 yards per club. I have played a few rounds with them and while they are not as buttery soft as mizunos they still feel great and to me are a bit more forgiving on mishits over my mizunos. Dont see these irons leaving my bag anytime soon.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I just got mine yesterday with Modus 130 x flex soft stepped 1 time. I currently play Ping S55 with Modus 125 x flex. When I was fit a club champion they fitted me into the PX LZ 6.5. I really wasn't a big fan of the PX LZ so I just stuck with my S55/125 combo.

Now I only have one round with the 790's so take this with a grain of salt, but I really did like them. To me it seemed like the long irons were flying higher than the pings but the short irons were flying lower. I never experienced any ballooning and had no problem getting the ball to stop. A couple of the wedges shots backed up a foot or two, 7&8 irons seemed to stop with a foot or two of the pitch mark . In the 790's I was roughly 10-12 yards longer with the 4&5 iron, 6-8 longer with the 6,7,8 iron and roughly 3-4 yards longer with the 9&PW. ( I hit 4 balls into every green with both 6 irons, 7 irons etc.) The one complaint I had with my S55's was my long irons were bunched up distance wise. The 790's seemed to be spread out a bit more.

I did mess around and try to hit some high cuts or low draws with the 790's. I couldn't work the ball quite as much with them as I could with the S55's, but I was expecting that. I could definitely flight them higher or lower but getting them to move left or right wasn't quite as easy.

great feedback, thanks. The Modus 130S may work fine then.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

How is the 3 iron working out for people? Thinking or ordering this or the TMB but for $100 cheaper I think the decision is obvious

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

How is the 3 iron working out for people? Thinking or ordering this or the TMB but for $100 cheaper I think the decision is obvious

So today I played and came up to a par 4 that was 325 yards but very narrow. I decided to go with my 3 iron after all my buddies hit drivers and woods. I set up and smashed a solid drive up the right side with a little draw leaving me 88 yards to the green. I flew the ball about 220 and it rolled out the rest of the way. Trajectory was penetrating and the strike felt solid. Love how the club performs.

In My Bag

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I REALLY want to try these out, but the strong lofts have me spooked with gapping, especially on the PW, AW, SW...

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Looks like all of the sets are on backorder until 11/22.

I am going to order 5-P with Modus 130 next week, guess I will either possibly get the Thanksgiving Day round in, or it may be mat work in the garage over the winter.

I have to try these out.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

anyone else noticing any issues with something similar?

on tackman at a demo day i carried a 7i 178 and rolled out to ~188. this was before the clubs were released so i could only hit a 6 or 7i. since ive been hitting at the range, and have one round completed, i seem to only be hitting my 8i around 160. i still hit my 7 iron ~180, and was pin high on a 180 yard par 3 today.

beyond the 7 iron, some weights were removed or something. has anyone noticed a large gap from 7 iron to 8 iron or higher? assumed w the lofts, despite being stronger, that i would be hitting my 8 iron ~170 and about 10 yards shorter with each shorter iron.

today my 8 was ~160, 9 iron ~150

I tried them again now that full sets are available not just the 7 iron fitting piece (which tells nothing as everyone can hit a 7 iron). They are great looking, not that big looking at address, slightly wider top line but not unacceptable. Overall beautiful club that is easily the best looking thin faced iron and it is totally forged. Everything I've looked for. Result, the same the feel is dead, the distance is fine, with the longer irons there is s clicky sound like the Steelhead XR Pros. Compared them to AP2s, PXG, Epic Pros, AP3s, Honma TW737P (all except AP2s sort of thin faced distance improvement clubs). AP2s, Honma, Epic Pros, PXG, 790s, AP3s were the order according to feel and sound. Disappointed as the 790s are hands down the best looking club of all the mentioned/tested clubs...

It seems that feel is such an individual thing... for example if I took that same list (discarding the Honma's which I have not hit) it would look like .... PXG, 790, AP2, AP3, Epic Pro. The 790's definitely never felt dead at all to me. Struck in the center they are soft and muted but they feel springy... off center they get much crisper but still feel springy. Group evaluations are a good thing no doubt but it's also pretty apparent that they can never replace first hand experience.

That said I've had that same feeling with other clubs, i.e. seeing something that looked so good to my eye and then when I hit it I was just bummed that for one reason or another they just didn't suit me at all.

The feel can also be shaft influenced. With all the others I found the best shaft (over time) for each club. I will probably continue to experiment as the retailer increases the shaft options in full sets. I’ve never found an iron fitting that worked with that clumsy adapter in all clubs. Add to that fitting carts use a 7 iron that everyone can hit, so I wait for production sets. The looks keep me intrigued to keep trying unlike the PXG and AP3. I’ve been trying to find something that could compete with the Epic Pros. They look dopey in the bag, but surprisingly good at address. Distance wise they are just plain cheating even with comparable lofts. They certainly aren’t as soft as the AP2s, but don’t have the clickly sound of others, probably because of tons of tungsten.

on tackman at a demo day i carried a 7i 178 and rolled out to ~188. this was before the clubs were released so i could only hit a 6 or 7i. since ive been hitting at the range, and have one round completed, i seem to only be hitting my 8i around 160. i still hit my 7 iron ~180, and was pin high on a 180 yard par 3 today.

beyond the 7 iron, some weights were removed or something. has anyone noticed a large gap from 7 iron to 8 iron or higher? assumed w the lofts, despite being stronger, that i would be hitting my 8 iron ~170 and about 10 yards shorter with each shorter iron.

the only gap issues I have had are with the wedges. I added another wedge to my set and removed the hybrid as my 3 iron is going as far as my 2 hybrid. I am 170 with the 7 iron and 160 with my 8 and 150 with my 9. Once I get into the PW thats where my gap issues arise.

In My Bag

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

the only gap issues I have had are with the wedges. I added another wedge to my set and removed the hybrid as my 3 iron is going as far as my 2 hybrid. I am 170 with the 7 iron and 160 with my 8 and 150 with my 9. Once I get into the PW thats where my gap issues arise.

Out of interest, what is you SS with a 7i?

Out of interest, what is you SS with a 7i?

not sure what you mean?

Swing speed.....

What's In My Bag:

Driver - Titleist TS3 - Tensei Blue Stiff
3W - Titleist TS2 - Kuro Cage Stiff
3H - Titleist 818 H2 - 19 - Tensei Blue Stiff
4H - Titleist 818 H2 - 21 - Tensei Blue Stiff
5i - 48 Gap - Titleist 718 AP3
Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM7 53 S Grind & 58 M Grind
Putter - Scotty Cameron Futura 5M
Bag - Titleist Players 5 Stand bag
Ball - Titleist AVX
Glove - FootJoy Rain Glove
Watch - Apple Watch 2nd Generation with The Grint App, Shot Scope V2
Laser - Bushnell Tour Z6 Jolt
ClicGear 3.5+ - Blued Out!
======================================
The Grint - Club Chairman / Grint Tour Director - North Texas

damn, those are not good gaps.

What shafts?

modus 130 stiff

Swing speed.....

~86-88 with a 6i

i hit in a simulator today and confirmed there is some sort of issue, just dont know if it is me or the club loft etc...

carried:

5i- 205-210

6- 195-200

7- 180-183

8- ~160

9- ~145

PW- 130-135

check lofts? If all good bend 5-7 slightly weak

yea that is what i plan to check - just realized there is another TM demo day near me this week

damn, those are not good gaps.

What shafts?

modus 130 stiff

That is what I am thinking of ordering exactly.

You like the shats?

i tend to hit the ball low, and i certainly like the ball flight w these shafts as they help to get the ball up

Yeah Modus 130 will really bring the ball flight and apex up.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5i - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 620MB 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Taylormade Spider Tour X Double Bend

That is my issue, low ball hitter. The PX LZ are better than the Modus 125 for those purposes, but love the feel of the Modus. I just hit the 125 so low in the 900F.

I would go PX LZ if it were no up charge, but will be a good opportunity to test the 130.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x