Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Does anyone have a list of the no charge shaft upgrades? I am looking at purchasing a set and am debating between Kbs tour 90 and XP 95 shafts. Currently play to a 8 hdcp with driver swing speed about 100 and 7 iron swing speed about 90. I am a low ball hitter looking for higher launch

Those 2 shafts are not available through the custom page on TM website. You have C-taper, C-taper lite, KBS tour(Heavy version),KBS $ taper is a $25 upcharge.

XP95 is available.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aais_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/v1506501271838/TaylorMade/Product_Specs/2017_CustomComponents_PriceList_V17_HI_Digital.pdf

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Does anyone have a list of the no charge shaft upgrades? I am looking at purchasing a set and am debating between Kbs tour 90 and XP 95 shafts. Currently play to a 8 hdcp with driver swing speed about 100 and 7 iron swing speed about 90. I am a low ball hitter looking for higher launch

Those 2 shafts are not available through the custom page on TM website. You have C-taper, C-taper lite, KBS tour(Heavy version),KBS $ taper is a $25 upcharge.

XP95 is available.

http://demandware.ed..._HI_Digital.pdf

It may be on the PDF custom sheet but if you go to the custom page and see which shafts are available by True Temper the XP95 is not one. Plus the KBS FLT is the other shaft I left off.

XP95 is available.

http://demandware.ed..._HI_Digital.pdf

It may be on the PDF custom sheet but if you go to the custom page and see which shafts are available by True Temper the XP95 is not one. Plus the KBS FLT is the other shaft I left off.

Short answer is that it does not appear that there is an upcharge for either. For other shaft pricing I always....

Try here

Tomorrow is a range showdown (if I get out of the office) between my trusty Cleveland TA2 and the new TaylorMade P.790.

69c12ce815781662a2a0265e11416cb3.jpg ]

Good golly, my truck said it was 93 degrees on the way to the range tonight. It's September!

Got to spend about 45 minutes hitting our Wilson range balls (they are not horrible) before I was worn out.

The TA2 and the 790 look and perform very similar. Trajectory was identical. It's hard to tell if I got any extra distance from the 790. I think that will come with some on the course testing with real balls.

I can tell you that the 790 is more forgiving on thin hits for sure. Also has a very soft feel to it. Makes it seem like the ball is not going anywhere.

I'll keep at it and see how the 790 performs. It's not like it blew me away or anything on day one. Keep in mind I don't have a trackman, all visual and qualitative.

Also got home from a business trip to mine today. Immediately checked all the swing weights. They all were within spec with none weighing more than D2 and most weighing in at D1.5. I was worried about that specifically since I ordered Modus Tour 130s and they are butt heavy. One interesting point in comparing them to my Ping i200s is they are all roughly 1/2 inch shorter. Found out basically TM specs are measured to length with grip on. Ping of course measures cut length without grip. Not a huge deal to me but if I had of known I would have probably ordered 1/4 inch over. Going to get out tomorrow afternoon and spend some range time with them and play this weekend. I cannot wait.

Thanks for all the responses if I am looking for higher launch is there other shafts I should consider other than the Kbs tour 90 andXP95?

Nippon 950GH would be a good option.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Thanks for all the responses if I am looking for higher launch is there other shafts I should consider other than the Kbs tour 90 andXP95?

Project X LZ

Modus 125/120x if available. Best iron shaft on the market imo.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Project X LZ

I don't know anyone who would classify the Modus 125 and 120 as high launch shafts. The 125 is mid and the 120 is a low launch shaft for many players.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (2024)

My WITB Post

Tried these yesterday on a Trackman. Modus 105 Stiff. 92.7 club head speed and 190 yards. My average club head speed with the Mizuno 6i heads and the same shaft was around 91-92 with an average distance of 185-190, which is perfect for my game. A 7i that hot is really not good for my target distance and gapping.

The club felt nothing more than ok but then that can be said for most clubs I hit as we were using crappy range balls.

Anyone else noticed increased club head speed? I couldn't figure it out at the time but now wonder if the 7i shafts lengths are similar to the 6i lengths in the Mizuno range?

I really couldn't live with a 7i getting close to 200 yards not least without trying the 6i, 5i and 4i to ensure sufficient gapping at the upper end. They didn't have any to try so I ruled them out and went with the Mizuno's. Shame as the P790 heads look really good.

Tried these yesterday on a Trackman. Modus 105 Stiff. 92.7 club head speed and 190 yards. My average club head speed with the Mizuno 6i heads and the same shaft was around 91-92 with an average distance of 185-190, which is perfect for my game. A 7i that hot is really not good for my target distance and gapping.

The club felt nothing more than ok but then that can be said for most clubs I hit as we were using crappy range balls.

Anyone else noticed increased club head speed? I couldn't figure it out at the time but now wonder if the 7i shafts lengths are similar to the 6i lengths in the Mizuno range?

I really couldn't live with a 7i getting close to 200 yards not least without trying the 6i, 5i and 4i to ensure sufficient gapping at the upper end. They didn't have any to try so I ruled them out and went with the Mizuno's. Shame as the P790 heads look really good.

with regard to the clubhead speed and comparison of the 790s vs. mizunos -- it'd be nice if you added WHICH mizuno you're going against.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

with regard to the clubhead speed and comparison of the 790s vs. mizunos -- it'd be nice if you added WHICH mizuno you're going against.

900F, MMC & MC, Modus 105 S, standard Mizuno length vs P790, Modus 105 S, standard TM length.

Project X LZ

I don't know anyone who would classify the Modus 125 and 120 as high launch shafts. The 125 is mid and the 120 is a low launch shaft for many players.

Coming from S300s, I launch 125s much higher...120s maybe not so much. Maybe 105s?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

anyone know when is the release of the P790 UDI 2 iron?

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

winter/spring

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

winter/spring

nice thanks

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I had a chance to hit the P790s yesterday. A 7i fitting club with the same setup as my set. I'm currently playing the P770s.

I hit my P770 6i (29.5° loft) against the P790 7i (30.5° loft). I didn't have the flightscope setup so I don't have any hard data to share. The P790 was slightly longer than my 6i. Trajectory - the ball flew in the window I expected. Overall - it is a nice club. Off-center strikes didn't feel awful but made a slightly klankier noise than I was use to. These clubs are forgiving. Distances were surprisingly consistent even on marginal strikes. They feel a little less soft than they probably are, mostly because of a slightly clicky impact noise. However, I was also hitting some awful range balls. From the top down, they look great. I have absolutely no complaints. While they sit in the bag, I don't like the black gap in the sole. I could probably get over it - especially in the long irons. With that being said, I might make a play at a 3i bent as flat as they will let me.

modus 130 is what i got- wanted the exact same result as you as i tend to hit the ball low. just hit w them on the range for the first time, and i liked the ball flight

this is what the TM fitters suggested at a demo day

modus 130 is what i got- wanted the exact same result as you as i tend to hit the ball low. just hit w them on the range for the first time, and i liked the ball flight

Mine have the Modus 130s too. I just got back from my first range session. I must say, I was severely underwhelmed at first. I hit quite a few balls and wasn't seeing what I expected. So I grabbed my Ping i200s for comparison as I know them well. Those clubs sucked too. I guess any club I hit today would have sucked with the swing I put on it. I have been spending way too much time at my real job lately and that was my first range session in a month and it showed. Once I went back to the 790s, I realized I was actually hitting them higher and better than the Pings. I just need to commit to giving them a chance. I'll get some real time with them on the course this weekend and be able to make better judgement.

Just tried these today and have to say was very impressed. When I flushed it, felt exactly the same as my CF16’s. I am a normal golfer, 7 iron 160, with the P790 was regularly getting 168-170, which for me is worth investing in a set. 4-PW ordered, they are not released in the UK till the 16th October, so the wait begins....

TM fitters came to my club, I got to try out 790, then 770 & 750 with different shafts. I did like the 750. I was hitting 770 and 790 with C-Taper 120 stiff the best.

So when I placed the order on my club pro's site, it said 790 heads are backordered until 11/22 and C-Taper shafts are backordered until 12/6. So I said screw it and will stick with my current clubs. I was going to order entire TM bag setup. M1 drivers, fw & rescue along with 790 irons and 3 wedges. Not happening.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

So, many of you P790 owners are coming from PXG, Mizzys or something else wonderful and forged that I’ve not put myself into being a 10hcp. So, coming from the Ping G400/M2/Gmax world these ARE buttery soft and amazingly forgiving...first round today with steel, stock stiff, 1-flat. OMG, I can’t believe how fun these are to hit on the course with a good ball (Vice Pro Soft). Found myself teeing off with my 4 iron just so I’d have another long iron into the green and scored better than I have in a long time (coming off knee surgery). Fitter talked me into stiff 105s and he was right. All I can say is that anyone who can find the ball with any GI iron can use these clubs with confidence. High, soaring shots that stay put on the green. Two thumbs up!

IMG_1684-X5.jpg

So, many of you P790 owners are coming from PXG, Mizzys or something else wonderful and forged that I've not put myself into being a 10hcp. So, coming from the Ping G400/M2/Gmax world these ARE buttery soft and amazingly forgiving...first round today with steel, stock stiff, 1-flat. OMG, I can't believe how fun these are to hit on the course with a good ball (Vice Pro Soft). Found myself teeing off with my 4 iron just so I'd have another long iron into the green and scored better than I have in a long time (coming off knee surgery). Fitter talked me into stiff 105s and he was right. All I can say is that anyone who can find the ball with any GI iron can use these clubs with confidence. High, soaring shots that stay put on the green. Two thumbs up!

IMG_1684-X5.jpg

Those look really good!

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

So, many of you P790 owners are coming from PXG, Mizzys or something else wonderful and forged that I've not put myself into being a 10hcp. So, coming from the Ping G400/M2/Gmax world these ARE buttery soft and amazingly forgiving...first round today with steel, stock stiff, 1-flat. OMG, I can't believe how fun these are to hit on the course with a good ball (Vice Pro Soft). Found myself teeing off with my 4 iron just so I'd have another long iron into the green and scored better than I have in a long time (coming off knee surgery). Fitter talked me into stiff 105s and he was right. All I can say is that anyone who can find the ball with any GI iron can use these clubs with confidence. High, soaring shots that stay put on the green. Two thumbs up!

IMG_1684-X5.jpg

Those look really good!

Thanks, I bought them hoping that all their marketing was real. It is.

Mine have the Modus 130s too. I just got back from my first range session. I must say, I was severely underwhelmed at first. I hit quite a few balls and wasn't seeing what I expected. So I grabbed my Ping i200s for comparison as I know them well. Those clubs sucked too. I guess any club I hit today would have sucked with the swing I put on it. I have been spending way too much time at my real job lately and that was my first range session in a month and it showed. Once I went back to the 790s, I realized I was actually hitting them higher and better than the Pings. I just need to commit to giving them a chance. I'll get some real time with them on the course this weekend and be able to make better judgement.

I had the exact same initial range session. Stick with them; you'll be impressed.

Went to a Taylormade fitting at Edwin Watts on September 22nd. Got fitted for set of P790 irons. Was initially told that the shipping date would be 7 to 10 days. I called Taylormade to check on their progress and was then told that I would not be receiving my irons until NOVEMBER 29TH!!! To say the least I am extremely displeased with this situation! Pay $1,300.00 for a set of irons and then be told it will be more than 2months from fitting date before I get them!!!WHAT!!! Anyone else!!!

Went to a Taylormade fitting at Edwin Watts on September 22nd. Got fitted for set of P790 irons. Was initially told that the shipping date would be 7 to 10 days. I called Taylormade to check on their progress and was then told that I would not be receiving my irons until NOVEMBER 29TH!!! To say the least I am extremely displeased with this situation! Pay $1,300.00 for a set of irons and then be told it will be more than 2months from fitting date before I get them!!!WHAT!!! Anyone else!!!

I've talked to some friends around me here in Chicago; some ordered from fittings before me and didn't get them yet. I ordered mine straight from TM and had them in a week.

Seems like if you go to the trouble to get fitted, you go to the end of the line. Really disappointed in the whole process. Seems like they are selling clubs they don’t have, but neglect to tell you that. You would think that if they are out of stock to the degree it takes 2 months to get your clubs, they would let you know. It’s like, spend your money with us, we’ll get you the product whenever.