2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Nice office Bradley. Got a few LP's myself.

Played 18 yesterday and went to the range after. Saw the TM rep and asked to try out the 790 in between his scheduled fittings. I had my CF16 with XP95S with me. He put a XP95S shaft on the 790 so it was a direct comparison [* 7 iron]

I like the look of the 790, beautiful club IMO. The head size of the two looked equal to my eyes. The rep explained how they forge the front and back and then weld them together. I thought the feel between the two was pretty equal; solid, not too soft.

Results: Only had time for about 10 hits with each. Spin on the CF16 for me was avg. 4500, with the 790 it was avg. 5000. I was really swinging well so I think the hits were equal and CHS was equal for both. I gained an average of 13 yards with the 790 over the CF16 according to trackman. The only thing I couldn't check was the lofts; I suspect the loft on the CF16 has changed because I beat so many range balls with it, I have lost distance with it lately. But overall I was impressed, I would like to test the whole set when they come available.

*edited to include omitted data, thanks yellolab

Played 18 yesterday and went to the range after. Saw the TM rep and asked to try out the 790 in between his scheduled fittings. I had my CF16 with XP95S with me. He put a XP95S shaft on the 790 so it was a direct comparison.

I like the look of the 790, beautiful club IMO. The head size of the two looked equal to my eyes. The rep explained how they forge the front and back and then weld them together. I thought the feel between the two was pretty equal; solid, not too soft.

Results: Only had time for about 10 hits with each. Spin on the CF16 for me was avg. 4500, with the 790 it was avg. 5000. I was really swinging well so I think the hits were equal and CHS was equal for both. I gained an average of 13 yards with the 790's over the CF16 according to trackman. The only thing I couldn't check was the lofts; I suspect the loft on the CF16 has changed because I beat so many range balls with it, I have lost distance with it lately. But overall I was impressed, I would like to test the whole set when they come available.

What number club did you use?

Yankees Suck

Played 18 yesterday and went to the range after. Saw the TM rep and asked to try out the 790 in between his scheduled fittings. I had my CF16 with XP95S with me. He put a XP95S shaft on the 790 so it was a direct comparison.

Results: Only had time for about 10 hits with each. Spin on the CF16 for me was avg. 4500, with the 790 it was avg. 5000. I was really swinging well so I think the hits were equal and CHS was equal for both. I gained an average of 13 yards with the 790's over the CF16 according to trackman. The only thing I couldn't check was the lofts; I suspect the loft on the CF16 has changed because I beat so many range balls with it, I have lost distance with it lately. But overall I was impressed, I would like to test the whole set when they come available.

What number club did you use?

all he had was the 7 iron head

lol, nice catch

seems Fate wants me to get a set. Honestly I thought I'd be safe for another year or so but these manufacturers keep coming put with great new equipment. I might end up with a basement full of sticks like my ho friend; his garage looks like Golftown

Safe to assume he isn't married??? loll

Got my 3 iron in yesterday after first being told October for a delivery date. Looks great, it will be tested on the course today.

This may have been one of my best purchases. Just what I needed off the tee on tight holes and on long approach shots on par 5's. best example from today would be a slightly down hill 245 par 3. Stuck it to 10 feet and made birdie. Would have never even tried that with the hybrid it replaced in the bag.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

I picked up a set yesterday and I am a couple rounds deep with them and I couldn't be more impressed. They go high and straight though I seem to be able to work it too when needed. Not too high, pretty much perfect. I hit a few great knockdowns today that did exactly what I wanted. No spin issues, I had no problem at all holding firm greens today. I really like the feel of these clubs too they don't feel like a forged blade but they have a fantastic feel and sound when you hit them in the center and they feel great on mishits while retaining the feedback that great forgings are known for. As a blade guy I am plenty happy with the feel of these clubs. I much prefer the feel to other similar hollow irons like the PXG and TMB. They seem to particularly shine on thin mishits which is my main miss. I played a course today that I find very hard to score at and I shot my best score ever there today even with 2 heart breaking lip outs for birdie in the last 3 holes. I'll report back after a little more time but so far so good.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

lol, nice catch

seems Fate wants me to get a set. Honestly I thought I'd be safe for another year or so but these manufacturers keep coming put with great new equipment. I might end up with a basement full of sticks like my ho friend; his garage looks like Golftown

Safe to assume he isn't married??? loll

actually he is married. I don't know how he has negotiated this deal, his wife is a saint. She doesn't play; and she doesn't even have a "get even" shoe or purse collection.

And.... nice going Fred

3 Iron came in today. Made me second guess the M2 L. I. F. T. buy. Almost the same distance. 3 is bent 1* strong.

I hit about 20 balls range/course tee/grass and very impressed. Came from the 710 MB's into the new TM gear and the feel of the 790 is very close to the MB (imo). May go 790 in the 5 and 4. Will for sure switch over to the 2i when it drops.

I got my set in today. I'll post a better review later, but I was honestly surprised at how well I could flight the ball today. I hit them with the same amount of spin I'm used to. If you are used to Blade type spin, they'll spin less. But if you've played any type of game improvement club over the last couple of years, they are very similar to them.

I'm also a firm believer these type of clubs (TMB, PXG, etc) aren't meant for blade users. They are for the people who like the look and feel of blades, but aren't good enough to play blades consistently.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Ordered mine on 9/12 and got them yesterday. Took them out to the range and am impressed by the sound and feel. Going to play a round with them tomorrow. Will let you guys know what the outcome is after getting them on the course.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Great reading, so far :) Thank you everyone! I am sold on these irons. But they won´t be released here in Norway for another month or so.

I need your opinion on the setup. I got the Nike Vr ProCombo, and am thinking of getting these in 4-7 in 790 and 8-P in 780. Is this a good setup, or should I just go 790 all the way?

Callaway Rogue driver 10.5 Kuro Kage
Callaway Rogue 5 wood ADDI
Callaway Rogue 7 wood ADDI
Titleist 818 H1 21 Tensei CK
PXG 0311 5-W ACCRA 80i
Titleist 50 ACCRA 90i
Titleist 54 KBS Hi-Rev2
Nike Vr 58 KBS Hi-Rev
Scotty Cameron Futura 5X Circle-T

I am thinking of getting these in 4-7 in 790 and 8-P in 780. Is this a good setup, or should I just go 790 all the way?

You'll need more patience for the latter, as the 780's haven't been announced yet... :rolleyes:

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Great reading, so far :) Thank you everyone! I am sold on these irons. But they won´t be released here in Norway for another month or so.

I need your opinion on the setup. I got the Nike Vr ProCombo, and am thinking of getting these in 4-7 in 790 and 8-P in 780. Is this a good setup, or should I just go 790 all the way?

I assume you mean 730 not 780 in the 8-Pw. I don't think it's necessary to do the blades in the short irons unless it strictly a looks thing. I too have been playing a combo set for the last 6 years or so (MP53/69, A12 pro/MB2 and Pro Combos before that). Plenty of control with the short irons, and they seem to work more seamlessly as a set, I'd be concerned about having to adjust lofts doing the combo.

TM M3 - Diamana D+
TM M3 13° - Diamana D+
TM M1 3HL - Diamana D+
Miura ICL-601 18°- Crazy STP
Miura CB 57 - Monaco TX
Miura WS 53° & 59° - Monaco TX
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB1 DASS / Miura KM-005 / Nike Origin B2-01 / TM Kia Ma Daytona / Yes Callie Fc

same here in Germany - I orderd in Florida - are on the way, will arrive on Monday

@bradleyking very nice but top heavy with all those covers! surely you can find tmade wedges and putter to your liking?!

I did not read all the pages so is it more a just a solid feeling iron or do you get any of that sweet forged magic?

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

TM has sent out a graphic with several loft set ups for viable P700 Series combo sets:

Pick your setup and go for it.

I'm going for option 1 to replace the long & mid irons in my existing P770 set. Also going to the Dynamic Gold 105 S300 as that shaft opens new performance options for me.

The short irons in the 790 look so good and by all accounts I have heard are workable enough that I would think that there is very little advantage to not just going with all 790's.

That chart is incredibly helpful.

Titleist has something like it for the 718 line, but i have not seen it anywhere online argh.. only in person and i forgot to snap a pic.

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

Got my 3 iron in yesterday after first being told October for a delivery date. Looks great, it will be tested on the course today.

This may have been one of my best purchases. Just what I needed off the tee on tight holes and on long approach shots on par 5's. best example from today would be a slightly down hill 245 par 3. Stuck it to 10 feet and made birdie. Would have never even tried that with the hybrid it replaced in the bag.

Question...A hybrid would normally launch higher and be a better choice when playing a longer Par 3... why not???

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Thank you :) I meant 770, not 780... ;)

That chart was very helpful! If I am doing a combo, I guess option 1 seem to be the best for me. But, if the short irons in the 790 are as workable as you say, I might just do a clean 790 setup.

Callaway Rogue driver 10.5 Kuro Kage
Callaway Rogue 5 wood ADDI
Callaway Rogue 7 wood ADDI
Titleist 818 H1 21 Tensei CK
PXG 0311 5-W ACCRA 80i
Titleist 50 ACCRA 90i
Titleist 54 KBS Hi-Rev2
Nike Vr 58 KBS Hi-Rev
Scotty Cameron Futura 5X Circle-T

Anyone picking theses up after having played large sole GI irons like the g25, etc... how is the forgiveness?

Anyone compare to g400?

I'm looking to go thinner but I don't want to lose too much help.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Question...A hybrid would normally launch higher and be a better choice when playing a longer Par 3... why not???

This launched high enough and actually spun back a little bit. Part of the reason to be completely honest is I lost all confidence and feel with my hybrid.

Stealth 2 9* w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM 3 wood w/Ventus TR Blue
SIM UDI

P790 4 iron 
P770 5-PW
Hi Toe 3 50/54/58
SC Phantom 11.5
TP5X 

Hybrids are a great option for some people, but there are a lot of us who don't like them. My left-to-right dispersion is worse with a hybrid than it is with long irons.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

This launched high enough and actually spun back a little bit. Part of the reason to be completely honest is I lost all confidence and feel with my hybrid.

That'll do it... once trust is lost in a club... it's dead. Btw, 245yds for a par 3 is a monster par 3, most Ams would be teeing off with a driver...lol. However, that's only a 5 iron in WRX World though. I personally would be utilizing my 19* hybrid if downhill and not against the wind.

Anyways, back on topic... these look great..a perfect blend of performance, forgiveness, and looks. I'll be comparing these against my J15 CBs.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

I hit a 790 7 iron at my local store on a LM. I was sure the monitor was giving crazy long results because I was 30+ yards longer than my G30. The lofts are the same so I was baffled.

My buddy who works there said all the employees there are experiencing big gains too. I'm taking my club there next week to do a side-by-side comparison. If they really are that much longer I'm getting a set. If it's apples to apples why shouldn't I?

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs