2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Shiels vs Crossfield - YouTube

golfnhack

Anyone else notice that Shiels has surpassed Crossfield in YouTube subscribers? Wasn't too long ago Shiels was at 100k users and Crossfield was at 200k. Shiels is now at 227k and Crossfield at 223K. Shiels has picked up about 125k subscribers and Crossfield about 25k in the same time frame.

I must say that I enjoy Shiels's channel more than Crossfield's now. It wasn't always the case. One too many "bruh's" and not a fan of his on course reviews. He almost seems bothered in his reviews. Conversely Shiels seems to be having a lot of fun and really passionate about what he does.

It's almost to the point where I enjoy Peter Finch's channel more than Crossfield's he has picked up a lot of subs too. I wonder how long before he surpasses Crossfield.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love Crossfield. Shiels and Finch are great too, but Crossfield has a more sober perspective while Shiels is simply commenting on what stick happens to be carrying further than another at one point in time.

Plus, with Crossfield, you get Coach Lockey and his "Lockey Magic."

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

They're both great, and both doing well.

I get a kick out of crossfield's course vlogs, always lots of laughs. Shiels is good too, just different, I always check out his reviews if I'm thinking about buying something, and I like his course vlogs when they're playing something nice, although admittedly I don't like the vlogs when they're playing some drab looking course.

My favourite channel right now is golfholics, great course vlogs and I think marko listens to the same music I do because the vlogs are full of it. Also formulagolf is really good, it's Blair from MTI starting his own channel and documenting his time on the mini tours, if anyone reads this he can use the support as he's trying to grow!

Hey, who cares who's winning?

I'm just thrilled that there's SO much free content out there. Before YouTube or the internet what did we do to get better? Talk to our golf buddies, take a lesson or two hack it out at the range??

We now have a zillion videos with a ridiculous amount of great info from Monte to Ballard to Crossfield and on and on. All goodness!!

The Crossfield vlogs are very entertaining. His editing has grown tremendously over the last year. The Shiels/Finch videos can be a little boring. I like Finch and watch a fair amount of his stuff, but he's a little awkward with his on-course commentary during their vlogs.

As a few others have stated, there's so much good content out there. Not enough time to watch it all.

I really enjoy listening to both , including Pete and Coach, some videos are more entertaining than others, I think Rick is more in the competitive/tournament vibe (quest for the Open) while reviewing equipment and/or courses...Mark is more of a realistic reviewer, corny at times, but realistic, I get a bit annoyed by him at times because he constantly says that he can adjust his swing to match any driver, iron, etc...but ok...like mentioned above I really like fired eggs golf and Meandmygolf as well...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

A huge YT subscriber here. I am subscribed to: M&MG, RS, MC, CR & PF (in order I subscribed). They all are great channel and I am glad they are all different.

I think people compare RS and MC a lot because the similarity of the contents: especially, club reviews.

MC very innovative that he took the review out to the course: adds the feel and touch to on top of dry test data.

RS very thorough shot by shot: this might be professional to some viewers or too serious to others.

I don't this it is that RS doing something right that MC does not so RS surpassed MC. MC has reached the peak of viewer pool earlier than RS did.

I applaud them for making money off of posting content that a lot of people are consuming but wonder how many accomplished golfers actually go to their YT pages to brush up on their skills. I always assumed every golf swing was unique and needed the eye of an in person pro to provide specific feedback on making it better. Their content IMO is strictly entertainment versus instruction.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Entertainment purposes only. Unless you swing exactly like either guy, the reviews of one single player are truly worthless.

I agree with you for the most part but they have access to more clubs than we do (maybe not you which we are all uber jealous about) and it paints a small part of the picture in terms of club's tendencies

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

As a non-native english speaker Rick Shiels and Peter Finch with their northern english (mancunian?) dialects are so much harder for me to understand. I almost have to concentrate whereas I can have Parfield videos running in the background while doing sth completely different and still getting the message.

I subscribe to all of their youtube pages. I don't watch every single video they produce but the highlights for me are:

-Mark's course vlogs with Lockey, Sophie Walker and Rory.

-Peter Finch's tech Tuesday and random live streams, I like his demeanor, if that makes any sense

-everything Fried Eggs golf. He should have more subscribers.

also why do the UK vloggers say "Haych" for H? Is that some sort of regional thing?

I subscribe to all of their youtube pages. I don't watch every single video they produce but the highlights for me are:

-Mark's course vlogs with Lockey, Sophie Walker and Rory.

-Peter Finch's tech Tuesday and random live streams, I like his demeanor, if that makes any sense

-everything Fried Eggs golf. He should have more subscribers.

also why do the UK vloggers say "Haych" for H? Is that some sort of regional thing?

I thought Shiel's vlog at the Open course was outstanding.

And with you on the "Haych". Both of them do that.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

I started watching MC in the beginning for club reviews but his reviews are boring and then found RS then PF. I'm liking the RS/PF purely for the course blog. Just jealous of them constantly having a blast

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

Parfield more so than RS or PF for me. I like PF more than RS.

Mark's editing has improved a lot over the last year or so. Daily vlogs can be funny sometimes and his kids are pretty cute.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Entertainment purposes only. Unless you swing exactly like either guy, the reviews of one single player are truly worthless.

I agree with you for the most part but they have access to more clubs than we do (maybe not you which we are all uber jealous about) and it paints a small part of the picture in terms of club's tendencies

Don't get me wrong, I watch some of their thoughts on things as well because most of the stuff we have already hit and reported on privately, and I'm curious if those reviews stay consistent with what we know. I'll keep that aspect to myself. Mark Crossfield is by a MILE the more knowledgeable of the two, but Shiels is more personable and watchable. I just want to stress that nobody who doesn't swing exactly like either guy should base a purchase choice on those one guy hits a club reviews. If you don't have a broad panel of players with different swings and speeds there isn't enough information to make any decision. I'd say most guys should use those videos to see what the club looks like and sounds like. Thats about it.

Yeah while I'm still a fan of Crossfield, I think the AMOUNT of his current content is straying a little too far from what got his initial fan base (club reviews, comparisons). It's great that he's trying new things, but the day 1 subscribers are there for club reviews. Now when he does a review, it's super brief and almost irritated instead of having fun. I get how he feels now, but that's not why I subscribed back then. He hasn't lost me as a fan, but his channel has changed too dramatically, IMO.

http://www.golfwrx.com/406976/917-vs-915-results-from-the-ultimate-titleist-driver-fitting-experience/