Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a guy in my club, in his mid-70's, solid player, shoots his age once every three or four rounds. For a long time he has been playing the ProV1 or sometimes one of the B330 versions. Over the last couple years the age-related distance loss is starting to hit him real hard and he's gotten frustrated.

This past winter he switched to the e6 Soft and just totally lost his ability to dial in iron and wedge distances. He said for the first time he could remember, he had no idea whether a shot was long or short based on how it felt. So he briefly tried a couple other "soft" options in search of added distance. He got nothing.

Last time I played with him he was using a ProV1. Shot 73. I think this "softer ball to regain your old distance" thing is a sucker play.

The VG3 is a Surlyn covered ball, not urethane like the AVX. More similar to the NXT Tour than anything else in the Titleist range.

they also sell a prestige line witch is urethane.

And you can get the Prestige in bulk for $19.99/dozen at WRX sponsor Morton Golf Sales.

https://www.mortongolfsales.com/Titleist-Prestige-Golf-Balls-p/acush_prestige.htm

352 dimples. Urethane cover. Hmmm....

I like the dimple design, at least in the picture. Does anyone know if this is a replacement for something or an addition to the current line?

Edit: I saw in the article on the main Golfwrx site that it is a test product.

From what I have read, it is not a replacement, nor in the line up....yet. This is a test marketing. It is a 3 pc ball and will be priced with the pro V's

A test to see how many stupid people are out there?

I like the dimple design, at least in the picture. Does anyone know if this is a replacement for something or an addition to the current line?

Edit: I saw in the article on the main Golfwrx site that it is a test product.

From what I have read, it is not a replacement, nor in the line up....yet. This is a test marketing. It is a 3 pc ball and will be priced with the pro V's

A test to see how many stupid people are out there?

My mind is literally blown by the comments in this thread. Wake the hell up people. They are doing NOTHING different from what other ball manufactures have already been doing for ten years.

So my local shop did confirm they will have them AND also confirmed they are priced sames as ProV1's.

I still do not see why they would jump into competition vs Project A / B330-RX(s) / QST offerings at such a high price point. People who want a soft distance tour ball are probably not going to pay more for the Titleist name..... even if they do come in Yellow.

At $40 they might have a winner but also risk cutting their own throats on the V1 line up.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

ProV1 is not the #1 ball in golf. Titleist golf ball sales are cumulatively the highest making Titleist the #1 ball(s) in golf based on sales. At the same price point and, if they're lucky, maybe even a slightly lower cost they don't care if they take a chunk out of ProV1 sales. They need to worry about their bottom line because they are trending in the wrong direction and people are losing their minds. They're simply capitalizing on a segment that they have been ignoring for too long.

The only harm is see in offering at the same price is that it seems to be hurting golfers' feelings all over the country. Bridgestone has always offered the RX at the same price as the rest of the B330 one. Other than the fact they're all cheaper than ProV1 to begin with, how is this any different? So now that golfers that swing slower can benefit from similar technology and materials with better energy transfer at such speeds, they should also get a price break compared to faster swingers/lower handicaps? Why!?

I don't play ProV1 because I agree, they're just too expensive. But why is this the craziest thing ever? Should I also remind everyone that by the time they're in most shops in the country they'll be $40 for the holidays just like the ProV1 always is. So you guys will get to try them for the price you're all crying it should be in the first place. Also since Titleist gets to make the price, not you guys, they also have the option to drop the price whenever they see fit. You guys did read that this is a test, right?

ProV1 is not the #1 ball in golf. Titleist golf ball sales are cumulatively the highest making Titleist the #1 ball(s) in golf based on sales. At the same price point and, if they're lucky, maybe even a slightly lower cost they don't care if they take a chunk out of ProV1 sales. They need to worry about their bottom line because they are trending in the wrong direction and people are losing their minds. They're simply capitalizing on a segment that they have been ignoring for too long.

The only harm is see in offering at the same price is that it seems to be hurting golfers' feelings all over the country. Bridgestone has always offered the RX at the same price as the rest of the B330 one. Other than the fact they're all cheaper than ProV1 to begin with, how is this any different? So now that golfers that swing slower can benefit from similar technology and materials with better energy transfer at such speeds, they should also get a price break compared to faster swingers/lower handicaps? Why!?

I don't play ProV1 because I agree, they're just too expensive. But why is this the craziest thing ever? Should I also remind everyone that by the time they're in most shops in the country they'll be $40 for the holidays just like the ProV1 always is. So you guys will get to try them for the price you're all crying it should be in the first place. Also since Titleist gets to make the price, not you guys, they also have the option to drop the price whenever they see fit. You guys did read that this is a test, right?

Wrong - the B330-RX(S) are cheaper than the B330(S), just as the Project A is cheaper than the TP5(X) and as the QST is cheaper than the Z-Star / XV line up.

Titleist is the only one with the huevos to think people will pay $48 for under $35 and under ball market.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Back when I was Bridgestone shopping on eBay and other bargain outlets I was always able to find the B330 and/or B330S cheaper than B330RXS for some reason.

The B330RX is generally cheaper than any of the other three models...which makes sense to me as it's performance is inferior. They presumably know that they can charge less for the RX without cannibalizing sales of their three real Tour performance models because those who play the B330/B330S/B330RXS want better performance than the B330RX provides.

Back when I was Bridgestone shopping on eBay and other bargain outlets I was always able to find the B330 and/or B330S cheaper than B330RXS for some reason.

The B330RX is generally cheaper than any of the other three models...which makes sense to me as it's performance is inferior. They presumably know that they can charge less for the RX without cannibalizing sales of their three real Tour performance models because those who play the B330/B330S/B330RXS want better performance than the B330RX provides.

Huh ? Bridgestone B330 / B330S - Normal Price $44.99 - now selling @ $39.99

B330-Rx / B330Rxs Normal Price - $39.99 - now selling $34.99

The B330-RX is not inferior to most and is a great ball for those who already spin the ball plenty.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Wrong - the B330-RX(S) are cheaper than the B330(S), just as the Project A is cheaper than the TP5(X) and as the QST is cheaper than the Z-Star / XV line up.

Titleist is the only one with the huevos to think people will pay $48 for under $35 and under ball market.

I'll concede here as I was thinking about the new Tour B series which are all the same now, no?

And to the second point, sure they have the huevos but, people have been buying them for as long as we can all remember. They're sales are finally down and instead of lowering prices this is their play. I don't like the price point as much as the rest of you but, if people always payed for them before they learned they didn't do much for their game, it's fair to think they can get some of those morons back by marketing a new ball "for them".

I'll concede here as I was thinking about the new Tour B series which are all the same now, no?

And to the second point, sure they have the huevos but, people have been buying them for as long as we can all remember. They're sales are finally down and instead of lowering prices this is their play. I don't like the price point as much as the rest of you but, if people always payed for them before they learned they didn't do much for their game, it's fair to think they can get some of those morons back by marketing a new ball "for them".

Point taken. I have a feeling the amount of people who would switch to Titleist and pay more is minimal. The Yellow will have some people line up for them since it's the first colored Tour ball they have released here in North America so there is that. Will it be enough to keep the AVX in the line up past the "trial period"? We shall see.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

They know their business but it doesn't make sense to me to have the AVX priced the same as Pro V1. Pro V1 can claim the #1 ball on Tour to justify the $48/dozen, how are they going to convince people to shell that much out for the AVX.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Titleist has to be low on sales with golf balls in my opinion. I mean I personally have used prov1x for close to 20 years and just this year made the switch to a diffrent ball,,, but sometime you have to keep up with other balls claiming to be loooong

It's not just your opinion, it's fact. Google their latest quarterly results.

They know their business but it doesn't make sense to me to have the AVX priced the same as Pro V1. Pro V1 can claim the #1 ball on Tour to justify the $48/dozen, how are they going to convince people to shell that much out for the AVX.

To copy my post from above: I know you said Tour but some people don't know the difference.

ProV1 is not the #1 ball in golf. Titleist golf ball sales are cumulatively the highest making Titleist the #1 ball(s) in golf, based on sales. At the same price point and, if they're lucky, maybe even a slightly lower cost they don't care if they take a chunk out of ProV1 sales. They need to worry about their bottom line because they are trending in the wrong direction and people are losing their minds. They're simply capitalizing on a segment that they have been ignoring for too long.

As for convincing people, it should be too hard. Their ball sales are recently down I think around 2%. All they need to do is gain back some of the dopes that left ProV1 in favor for a ball that a different manufacturer finally educated them about to better fit their game. That many people will probably come back, regardless of price, just because they say Titleist on them.

I could see the AVX as replacing the NXT Tour S, at a higher price point than the NXT Tour, but a lower price point than the ProV1 and ProV1x. That way it would compete more closely against the Q Star Tour, B330 RX, and the Chrome Soft.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I just saw the write-up.

352 dimples.

Urethane covered.

Lower Compression.

I've seen and actually played that ball before. It's the Japan-market Titleist Prestige.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/g-zone/item/301979318-02/

It's been around since last year.

It's quite ironic and funny, because for a Japan-market only release, the sleeve/packaging of the ball says Made In the USA.

So I guess it's finally time to release it to the US market under the guise of "test-marketing" but we all know that it will be released commercially eventually.

In all fairness, Bridgestones 330 series were all the same price until recently.

In all fairness, Bridgestones 330 series were all the same price until recently.

Was the B330-RX ever $48?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Was the B330-RX ever $48?

The new for 2018 Bridgestone B balls are all on their website for $44.99. The Tour B X and Tour B XS replace the B330 and B330S; the Tour B RX and Tour B RXS replace the B330 RX and B330 RXS respectively. All are priced the same for next year.

So, why wouldn't Titleist price a urethane ball aimed at good amateur swing speeds the same as Pro V1?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse