Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

If it was priced in the $30 to $35 range I would try it. But the way it is, I will continue to play other brands.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd that Acushnet are sticking to the maximum price point when Golf Monthly is reporting Titleist ball sales are dropping and the Chrome Soft now has 7% of the market.

As opposed to if they made the AVX $10 cheaper, in which case you'd post:

Odd that Acushnet are lowering their prices when Golf Monthly is reporting Titleist ball sales are dropping and the Chrome Soft now has 7% of the market.

Am I right?

At the shop I go to. The provs are 39 as well so there is no benefit at all. I just wanted to try these

Then the shop you go to doesn’t make any money. Also, Titleist won’t like them selling below MAP.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

At the shop I go to. The provs are 39 as well so there is no benefit at all. I just wanted to try these

Then the shop you go to doesnt make any money. Also, Titleist wont like them selling below MAP.

It is the only good shop in town, they could sell them for whatever they wanted. I think my friends said they only make a couple dollars per box.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Then the shop you go to doesn’t make any money. Also, Titleist won’t like them selling below MAP.

It is the only good shop in town, they could sell them for whatever they wanted. I think my friends said they only make a couple dollars per box.

Titleist has a strict policy on pricing thats why about five years ago PGA superstore had no Titleist or Foot Joy products to sell a store that just opened in Naples was discounting ProV 1 and got complaints Achushnet pulled them as a vendor

Titleist has a strict policy on pricing thats why about five years ago PGA superstore had no Titleist or Foot Joy products to sell a store that just opened in Naples was discounting ProV 1 and got complaints Achushnet pulled them as a vendor

Exactly. Titleist is pretty darn strict on enforcing MAP pricing. Without it huge retailers would crush the little guys because they can get away with selling dirt cheap because they make up for it in volume. The little guys wouldn’t have a prayer. A local shop selling a dozen of balls for a $3 net profit is not a sustainable business model.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Makes no difference to me. I prefer the callaway ball.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I don't like ProVs as I think they are over priced and they are not as durable as other premium balls on the market. I currently use Wilson Staff FG Tour as it suits my game, I like the feel and the performance of the ball across the board - good distance, I can stop them on a dime and greenside control is as good as anything out there. I can get two dozen FG Tours for not much more $ than a dozen ProV's, and I can get 36 holes out of a ball before it starts to look ordinary. After 18 holes a ProV looks like sh#t.

I will take a look at the AVX, if they become available. I don't mind playing a yellow ball but they would have to be priced on par or lower than Z Star yellows. There are too many great balls out there.

I don't like ProVs as I think they are over priced and they are not as durable as other premium balls on the market. I currently use Wilson Staff FG Tour as it suits my game, I like the feel and the performance of the ball across the board - good distance, I can stop them on a dime and greenside control is as good as anything out there. I can get two dozen FG Tours for not much more $ than a dozen ProV's, and I can get 36 holes out of a ball before it starts to look ordinary. After 18 holes a ProV looks like sh#t.

I will take a look at the AVX, if they become available. I don't mind playing a yellow ball but they would have to be priced on par or lower than Z Star yellows. There are too many great balls out there.

Then you won't be needing to take a look. They aren't going to be priced lower than Z-stars, apparently. I don't think Titleist are bluffing on that...

Played my first round with the AVX yesterday. Good ball. Soft off the putter, long off the driver, spins off wedges and irons. Not sure it's worth the price premium over NXT Tour S as the two seem pretty similar. I did notice it was flying significantly further than I expected on every shot, however I was striking the ball better than usual yesterday, so tough to tell if it was new or the ball.

Might have to go pick up a few dozen more for the heck of it.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Forgot to add that they seemed really durable as I hit a tree about as hard as you possibly could and there was no damage. An unfortunate incident with a cart path also yielded only a very minor mark.

If anyone wants a free AVX in decent condition, there's one off the left edge of the fairway on 18 at Harding :)

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Played a round with AVX at Torrey Pines South from the Taupe Tees, good weather not much wind.

Swing speed between 115 and low 120's. Hit way up on the ball so not much spin.

On 1 hit it past the trap on the right which I've never done before. On 2 drove the ball past pin high on the 6th Tee, which I though was ridiculous. Then on 13 drove the ball down the hill.

Putting felt great. Sound off the blade was perfect. Chunked a few chips which was user error. ?

It a really crisp iron into 12 to a back pin that carried the trap on left and stuck, into the only real breeze we felt all day.

My Review:

Driver: very long

Irons: Good through air and breeze, long.

Putter: Felt and sounded great.

Around the green: didn't hit enough shots to really know. Hit a few very good flop type shots after putting myself in bad positions. Felt and sounded pretty good off wedges.

Questions: If this is a low compression ball, why was I seeing absurd distances? I've played the course a number of times and never hit so many drives that were better than my best drives on each of these holes over time.

I normally play ProVX and was going to try some chrome soft x that day randomly but after the drive on 2 I stuck with the AVX and saw really absurdly long tee balls all day.

Would love to know more about why that's the case despite lower compression combined with high swing speed, and realize I might just be missing an important fact about compression.

Would definitely try. Maybe fits a wide range of speeds?

Played a round with AVX at Torrey Pines South from the Taupe Tees, good weather not much wind.

Swing speed between 115 and low 120's. Hit way up on the ball so not much spin.

On 1 hit it past the trap on the right which I've never done before. On 2 drove the ball past pin high on the 6th Tee, which I though was ridiculous. Then on 13 drove the ball down the hill.

Putting felt great. Sound off the blade was perfect. Chunked a few chips which was user error.

It a really crisp iron into 12 to a back pin that carried the trap on left and stuck, into the only real breeze we felt all day.

My Review:

Driver: very long

Irons: Good through air and breeze, long.

Putter: Felt and sounded great.

Around the green: didn't hit enough shots to really know. Hit a few very good flop type shots after putting myself in bad positions. Felt and sounded pretty good off wedges.

Questions: If this is a low compression ball, why was I seeing absurd distances? I've played the course a number of times and never hit so many drives that were better than my best drives on each of these holes over time.

I normally play ProVX and was going to try some chrome soft x that day randomly but after the drive on 2 I stuck with the AVX and saw really absurdly long tee balls all day.

Would love to know more about why that's the case despite lower compression combined with high swing speed, and realize I might just be missing an important fact about compression.

Would definitely try. Maybe fits a wide range of speeds?

Same experience for me. The AVX reminds me of the Original ProV1. Its softer than either of the current ProV1's. Just picking the ball up it feels lighter than the ProV1 or ProV1x. Im not sure if that would quantify on a scale or if its just the compression. The dimples are shallower similar to a Bridgestone ball. I have played this ball at my home course for 5 rounds now directly against the ProV1 and ProV1x and think it might be my new gamer.

Its slightly longer than either current ProV1 off the tee. Flight seems to be more stable however and for whatever reason it seemed more consistent. The AVX was 3-5 yards longer than both ProV1's off the irons. AVX spins just a little less on green side short chip shots than the ProV1x. I would say roughly the same as the ProV1 with maybe a slight edge still to the Prov1. I would say the AVX has enough greenside spin to be comparable to other premium balls though. I have heard some say the AVX feels heavy on chip shots. That wasn't my experience at all. It feels light and springy if anything. Lastly the AVX is softer off the Putter than either ProV1. All in all its a great ball. If it spun just a little bit more on short chip shots like the ProV1x does it would be the best ball ever made. AVX does seem more durable than either ProV1 and the cover doesnt get chewed up on chips shots as easily as the ProV1's do. Price wise its overpriced like all current golfballs on the market are. But it does perform.

So what' does the AVX match up with , Chrome soft ? 330rx? Are those the equivalent balls .

Titleist say it's like a Pro V1 except with different dimples, a different urethane formulation and a softer core. So in that sense, it is just like Chrome Soft or any number of other Tour balls with lower compression than Pro V1.

Played my first round with them. Let me say that they are just weird and confusing. Don't know how else to put it. They have a slight advantage in having a little less spin but I definitely get very different flights at times. Sometimes higher then anything else I've hit and sometimes way lower as well. I'll put another round in on them this Sunday before I start making any assessments I guess.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

This is a pretty good ball imo. Lower, spins less off the driver. I think it's a pretty good ball if you hit it really really high with a lot of spin (like myself). It's crazy how popular these are in Arizona though. Wigwam is selling them for $64 for a dozen and have sold out twice. Not sure if I'd switch from the ProV1X but it's much better than I was expecting

Has anyone heard of pros putting these into play? Have played a couple rounds with them and it seems to me like this is Titleist's response to Rory's comments about his "old ball" being too spinny. Really liked it off the driver and enjoyed hitting these into greens knowing I wouldn't spin it back off.

You will not see a Pro playing them unless they get past the testing stage.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

its a ksig with titleist branding

Hmm Ksig overuns! :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

For the first time in a long time Titleist is copying someone else’s ball and in this case it’s the Chrome soft. Titleist is no longer the gold standard they just don’t want to admit it. Arrogance is losing them market share and not just a little.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

For the first time in a long time Titleist is copying someone else's ball and in this case it's the Chrome soft. Titleist is no longer the gold standard they just don't want to admit it. Arrogance is losing them market share and not just a little.

After playing a round with the AVX and at least 30+ rounds with the Chrome soft this year and can honestly say the AVX is not in ANY way similar, and I mean no where close, and I mean to be redundant, but could not be further away design wise. The chrome soft is just that, soft. These are not. The chrome soft is moderate distance with moderate to high spin. AVX is very high launch with extremely low spin on most clubs I'd say down to 6 iron. Then spins slightly more then you'd expect from 7-PW. Then does not spin enough with wedges. 2 out of 3 is usually not bad, but in the case of the AVX it just may be.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

For the first time in a long time Titleist is copying someone else's ball and in this case it's the Chrome soft. Titleist is no longer the gold standard they just don't want to admit it. Arrogance is losing them market share and not just a little.

After playing a round with the AVX and at least 30+ rounds with the Chrome soft this year and can honestly say the AVX is not in ANY way similar, and I mean no where close, and I mean to be redundant, but could not be further away design wise. The chrome soft is just that, soft. These are not. The chrome soft is moderate distance with moderate to high spin. AVX is very high launch with extremely low spin on most clubs I'd say down to 6 iron. Then spins slightly more then you'd expect from 7-PW. Then does not spin enough with wedges. 2 out of 3 is usually not bad, but in the case of the AVX it just may be.
so you are saying it’s closer to a B330-RX

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow