Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

For the first time in a long time Titleist is copying someone else's ball and in this case it's the Chrome soft. Titleist is no longer the gold standard they just don't want to admit it. Arrogance is losing them market share and not just a little.

Titleist has had this ball in Japan for a few years now under the Tour Prestige name. $19.99/dozen in bulk packaging @ WRX sponsor Morton Golf.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are these balls and I hope they get a national release so the people up north can try them.

i have some and have played them. they are good. i wouldnt say that i was blown away or anything but it is as good as anything other premium ball out there. I am a little confused by it as i believe it is a low compression ball for slower swingers but it preformed very will for me and i have a well above average club head speed.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Tried these head to head with the Q Star Tour and was not that impressed. Yes, it has some similarities but IMO cannot beat the value of the Q Star Tour. It is not worth the extra $18 dollars and did not do anything to warrant me keeping in the bag.

TM Stealth+ Diamana ZF
Callaway Rogue Max Tensei Blue
Mizuno 223 Modus 115
Cleveland Zipcore KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Bettinardi BB-28

My friend Brandon at Club Fix in Palm Desert gave me a whole box to try. Talk about awesome. I've played two rounds with them and practiced a fair bit around the green with them. At first, they felt pretty much like rocks when I hit them, like to original Nike golf ball Tiger first played. But, then I realized that the feel was actually an additional feedback mechanism. I play all Titleist equipment, except for my Odessy putter. When I was not spot on the center of the club face with my shot, the ball felt like a rock. I found that I could use that to my advantage as I tried to sort out my miss hits, particularly around the green. I was not particularly pleased with the roll of the ball off my putter. I felt like the ball wobbled a bit and went off line quickly. To be honest, I'm not even sure any of this is a real thing. These are just my impressions. Did I find it a bit longer than the V1 or V1x off the driver? Yes, in that it seemed to roll out more. I didn't notice much of a trajectory difference. I'm not bragging, but I don't go through a whole lot of golf balls. I'll use one until it looks ugly, and then throw it in my shag bag. I don't think I would spend the extra money on these balls. I'll take my V1 or V1x over the AVX.

I received sample AVX balls from Titleist (I'm a member of their "Test Panel"), and have played 27 holes - with one ball, no less! - plus, hit them on the launch monitor a few times, and here are my initial impressions:

1.) I do agree tha the AVX feels just slightly "hard" off the driver, fairways and hybrids, but NOT off the short irons, wedges and putter

2.) The feel is nothing like the Srixon Q-Star Tour in my opinion, as someone else has said it is

3.) Obviously, if I can get 27 holes out of one ball without much wear at all, it is quite durable

4.) I find the AVX to be about as long, and similar in performance in all other respects, to the Srixon Z-Star XV and TM TPx, two of my current favorite golf balls .... and it is far more durable than either of these other balls.

As for distance, I have been averaging about 275 to 280 yards with it off the tee (with the driver), and 260 to 265 with my 3-wood (a new Tour Edge Exotics CBX). I also have hit two 335 yard+ drives with teh AVX, which is very long for me!

Anyone done a comparison with the TP5? That ball kicked the PV1 out of the bag; would be interested to hear thoughts on that matchup. TIA.

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

I bought a box at Dove Valley Ranch in Arizona when I ran low on balls after my previous round at The Boulders. They were a little spendy at $52, but I decided to splurge. I really like this ball. Pretty straight off the tee and fairways, decent spin around the greens, very similar feel to Chrome Soft and Taylor Made (a) that I had in my bag. Durable, too, I hit a few "desert areas" but didn't scuff the ball badly at all. I wouldn't pay full retail for these again, because the CS at ~$30 is good enough for me, but when they go into wide release and are available at a discount I'd consider them.

Handicap 18, typically take 3 shots to reach the green - drive to fairway, approach to near the green, chip/pitch onto the green.

I compared both ball on the course and I found that they go the same distance with all my clubs, even with the Driver. I noticed that the Pro V1 (not X) spins more around the greens and on approach shots. The AVX cover is much more durable. You can play 18 holes with the AVX and you won't see one mark. I like that Titleist offers a yellow golf ball

Jordan LeFord

Handicap: 0.4

Sounds as if Titleist have dropped a blooper here. Will heads roll?
for all we know this was Titleist burning off some slow moving NXT cores and slapping a urethane cover on them, with no real intention of ever committing to the AVX.

Anything is possible

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

My course had 36 dozen, white, AVX on the shelf, I bought a dozen to try. I liked the ball, but wasn't impressed with very shot chips around the green, they just didn't check as quickly as I liked. Both myself and wife have played them for a couple of weeks now and we like the ball' and finding it checks up well. This afternoon I purchased the last dozen, and our manager said, "that's it, won't get anymore". The bottom line is they sold off the shelf; fast at $50+ a dozen.

Now for me and my wife, we'll play them for a while, but expect to return to the B330RXS. A good ball and of course, much cheaper. We also tried the new Srixon Tour Star, sorry really a no go for me. If the AVX goes into full production at a better price point, I'll play it, but not at this price.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Just another experience ...

I was interested to try them as I tend to spin the ball too much. Additionally, one thing that I find important to me is feeling off the putter.

I felt compared to the ProV1 the spin was noticeably less (again, for me). It was pretty straight off the driver as I thought the side spin was reduced. It felt soft yet solid off the putter. Around my playing circles, I've heard it described as Titleist's Chrome Soft ball and having played that too, I'd say that's pretty close. Although, didn't feel as soft as CS (which I liked).

Last thing - after 9 holes with it, I gave it to my buddy who swears by ProV1. He played 27 holes with the same ball I gave him and thought well enough about it to get some more. The local big box shop by me has gone through first shipment round (@$47.99 per) and has now got more. Yellow doesn't seem to sell as well.

My $.02

I see you're from western PA, wanna sneak 9 in tomorrow?

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

I'm not a Titleist fan at all. I'm a Bridgestone (B330-RXS) or Chrome Soft guy. I tried a sleeve of the AVX and thought if the price point was closer to the Bridgestone, I'd be all over the AVX. I thought it was the best Titleist ball I've ever played. I was super impressed. Felt good everywhere to me. But I'm not as good as many of you. At $15/sleeve, no way I'd ever try to game these balls regardless of how much I liked them. Golf balls are ridiculously expensive and if Costco can make Pro V1 quality balls for less than a pack of Slazengers.... Golf balls don't have to cost $50-60/dozen, but I guess as long as people keep paying that price, they'll keep making a killing on them.

EDIT: I just got a sleeve of yellow Titleist test balls in the mail today, I can only guess that they are AVX's (my first sleeve of test balls!!! woohoo!!!). Gonna test them against my B330-RXS's tomorrow like I did when I first found the AVX. I did shoot my lowest round ever that first go with the AVX, but price matters, so like I said before.

Gotta go with the White for sure. I noticed a difference between the two colors as the yellow didn't feel as good. I love the truvis yellow black combination so it is not a color thing for me but there is a difference for sure.

Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Aldila Tour Blue Stiff
Titleist 915 F 15* Aldila Tour Blue Stiff
Titleist 915 F Ad-di 8X
Titleist 714 AP2 5-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Vokey TVD 56* SM4 64* KBS Tour Stiff

Odyssey DFX 2-Ball Center Shaft

I'm a slower senior swinger (70-80 if lucky for the latter). Most assuredly does not feel at all like most other balls to me. Play ProV1x or Snell a lot now. Also tried TP5X.

The AVX isn't any longer for me at all. And definitely doesn't have good shortgame feel or stopping power at all. Runs out 3-8 feet versus 1-3 feet on most other things. Shorter than the TP5x but basically mostly the same as the PROV and Snell, but needs roll to help. Shorter in overall carry noticeably (by 10-20 yards) so i need drier conditions and then it rolls more to get about the same distance.

But I feel its seriously overpriced. More like NXT to me than anything else. Definitely doesn't feel like Chrome soft or soft x. Feels hard like usual Titleist feel.

My opinion is overpriced and not for the slow swinging senior at all.

Titleist staffer here. Been a Pro V1x guy forever. I was excited to try these as my only gripe with the current Pro V1x is that it is a little hard and spins a bit too much with short irons. I found the AVX to be much softer. The spin was down for me, especially with full wedges which I love. Distance seemed better too throughout the bag. I was hitting the yellow version and the durability was outstanding, typical of other yellow balls I've played in years past.

I'm begging to get these balls but I don't think the $50 price point is going to work. They need to be in the $39-$45 price point in my opinion. I'd switch regardless as I don't pay for golf balls but I would have a hard time selling these in our golf shop at the current pice long term.

PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Timuquana Country Club
Team Titleist Staff Member

Titleist staffer here. Been a Pro V1x guy forever. I was excited to try these as my only gripe with the current Pro V1x is that it is a little hard and spins a bit too much with short irons. I found the AVX to be much softer. The spin was down for me, especially with full wedges which I love. Distance seemed better too throughout the bag. I was hitting the yellow version and the durability was outstanding, typical of other yellow balls I've played in years past.

I'm begging to get these balls but I don't think the $50 price point is going to work. They need to be in the $39-$45 price point in my opinion. I'd switch regardless as I don't pay for golf balls but I would have a hard time selling these in our golf shop at the current pice long term.

jsgolfer12, I love your feedback. I've been wondering about the performance of the AVX for the exact reasons. I've loved the ProV1x over the years and I've never found anything that matched the distance and performance of the Pro V1x, but my only complaints with that ball is also too much spin on full, short irons and the durability of the cover. So I appreciate your comments. Thanks!

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway Epic Speed Fairway
Callaway X Forged 21* UT
Callaway Apex 21, 5-AW
Callaway MD4, 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron, Squareback 2

One of my friends mailed me an AVX ball to try and I received it late yesterday afternoon. Being the best friend I can be, I promptly took the morning off and went to the course to test it out. (A little about my game- 95mph with driver and I think my current handicap is 1 or a tad higher. Strength of my game is iron play and short game. If I could drive it better (longer) or putt better (mostly reading putts) my handicap would probably be +2 or so. I have shot 64 in the past, but I have also shot 90. lol) Anyway, I play the Bridgestone RX so I felt this would be a pretty good comparison to the AVX.

I won't go thru the hole by hole thing, but will divide it up like this:

Driver- I am consistant with driver swing speed, trajectory and so forth so I feel I can give an honest assesment here and this is there is no real difference between the 2 balls. They both feel the same off the driver and distances were almost identical.

Iron Play- Once again, I did not notice much of a difference between the 2 balls. Trajectoy was pretty much the same, spin was pretty much the same, dispersion was pretty much the same, etc...

Wedge play- I can spin the golf ball as well as anyone and one reason I play the RX is because it allows me to take off some of the unnecessary spin I could impart on the golf ball at times when it is not needed. The AVX is pretty much the exact same for me. If I tried to rip it back, I could. If I tried to play a nice dead hands shot and stop it, I could. Both balls are very controllable.

Pitches and Chips- Once again, both balls performed very similar. I could easily stop a pitch shot with both balls and chip and runs were easily judgeable.

Putting- Both balls feel great off the putter and both rolled true

I know this is a pretty mundane comparison, but both balls were just so much alike to me and I could easily game the new AVX without ever missing a beat. This is just the way my game is set up so your miles may vary.

One last thing before I before I wish everyone a wonderful and safe weekend- I am not a rich person. I live paycheck to paycheck just like 90% of the people on this board. One thing I will not sacrifice in my golf game is the price of the golfball I play. If the best golf ball for my game is a $5 a ball, I will pay that price. If it is a $1 a ball, I will pay that price. Everyone has a ball they will play their best golf with so find it, stick with it and enjoy the game :)

Everyone have a wonderful and safe weekend

Driver- TM 510 Tour
4 Wood- Titleist 970 Silver 17
Irons- PGA Diamondback Blades (RAW) 2 (20)- PW (52)
Sand Wedge- Scratch Don White 56
Lob Wedge- Scratch Don White 60
Putter- Titleist Bullseye (Cameron WGC Special)
Ball- Titleist Tour Speed

Its an excellent ball. better than Chrome soft or Bridgestone RX or B330 S-- Ill guess its an 80 compression Prov1X. Does evrything spins great putts true. Price is MUCH TOO HIGH. If they lower the price to 38 instead of 49 they will crush the compettion.

the price thing has be baffled i can buy these all day every day for $39.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Its an excellent ball. better than Chrome soft or Bridgestone RX or B330 S-- Ill guess its an 80 compression Prov1X. Does evrything spins great putts true. Price is MUCH TOO HIGH. If they lower the price to 38 instead of 49 they will crush the compettion.
that’s a personal preference. I have played the AVX and it feels a little dead, much like the QST. Great ball for $29.99 but CS, Z-Star and B330-RX all are better for me. Chrome is currently $31.99 and you can use in store coupon (not online). Z-Star is buy 3 get 1 free and last years B330-RX are $35.00 plus you can use coupons.

So while at $39.99 the AVX would have some serious fans, it would NEVER crush the competition.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow