Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

For clarification, I still bag a Callaway staff bag and previously had Apex Pros and entire bag Callaway. Even played Chrome soft balls at one time. I have always loved Callaway (even before there recent big boom). But the AVX simply works for me and has outperformed other tryings in my past. My personal experience and that’s all I can speak for. Don’t buy it because of the name stamp, buy it because it beats what is in your bag! I understand cost is associated for some when purchasing a golf ball. If this was the case for me I would take the time to hit several lower cost options. However it would be more time consuming than anything for me when I like what I switched to and an extra $20 isn’t a concern when it’s my main hobby.

Over the years I've been largely immune to that phenomenon where for whatever reason you play some different model of ball for a round of two and just seem to hit it noticeably better than you ever hit your usual ball. It's happened to all of us from time to time and for me if I decide to switch, everything falls back into a normal pattern pretty quickly. Usually we're just capitalizing on chance variation in our swings and our game.

But I had the same experience with AVX recently. Played it for no particular reason other than the fact I just randomly play a different type of ball sometimes. Had a great ball striking round. And then another. And then a couple more.

But hey, this ain't my first rodeo. I shrugged it off and went back to my usual ball for a couple rounds. But I couldn't quite shake off the feeling I was missing something. So I played a few more rounds with AVX and darned if I didn't hit the ball much better than usual. Like noticeably enough different that one of my frequent playing companions said, "I don't know what you're doing different lately but I've never seen you hit it like this".

So what the heck I'm sticking with it. Deep down I know that it's probably a couple of minor swing tweaks I made a while back finally settling in and letting me get more solid contact. And I know I'm probably fooling myself by thinking one golf ball is going to find more fairways and greens, end up closer to the hole on chips shots and give me a club shorter approach shots than some other ball. But I'm playing so well at the moment I wouldn't give up the AVX (or for that matter change out any of the clubs in my bag) for anything just now...

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The AVX spins an insane amount for me. Feels soft off the putter and I like that its yellow.

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

The AVX spins an insane amount for me. Feels soft off the putter and I like that its yellow.

What type of ball do you normally use?

Compared to an NXT Tour or e6 or even a Duo type ball the AVX spins a lot. I don't think it spins any more than other 3pc urethane balls.

I usually play the TP5x. I was getting 11k rpms with a wedge.

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

Played a few rounds with the AVX and don't really think it plays anything like a chrome soft like I had heard many people think it would. Seems to be a lower spinning ball across the board. Really liked what I saw off the driver but really would prefer more short game spin. Would think this is a good option for someone looking for a few yards and willing to sacrifice a little short game control.

Played a few rounds with the AVX and don't really think it plays anything like a chrome soft like I had heard many people think it would. Seems to be a lower spinning ball across the board. Really liked what I saw off the driver but really would prefer more short game spin. Would think this is a good option for someone looking for a few yards and willing to sacrifice a little short game control.

I am a higher spin player and our greens are usually receptive, so I’ve been playing the 330RX which is a kind of tweener ball. Sounds like this one is worth a look for me too.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

It's probably a re-badged NXT Tour S.

The AVX has 352 dimples and is a 3 piece urethane ball. The NXT Tour S has 310 dimples and is a 2 piece surlyn ball.

.........i thought that NXT was a 3 pcs ball..........

NXT Tour = 2-piece initially in 2001, 3-piece since 2005 I believe

NXT Tour S = 2-piece introduced in 2012

The AVX has 352 dimples and is a 3 piece urethane ball. The NXT Tour S has 310 dimples and is a 2 piece surlyn ball.

NXT Tour = 2-piece initially in 2001, 3-piece since 2005 I believe

NXT Tour S = 2-piece introduced in 2012

Yes, i think this is the case:-)

The Titleist web site is your friend.

https://www.titleist.com/golf-balls/nxt-tour

NXT Tour - 3 piece, NXT Tour S - 2 piece

Local store manager was absolutely adamant they would be Chrome Soft price range and not V1s, which he added were not selling anywhere as well as they used to. 2017 model too firm and too expensive.

Costs more than a Pro V1(x) to make (from what I've heard) so I highly doubt that.

Our pro shop is selling these for the same price as the Pro V's..

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

i heard these are being discontinued. can anyone confirm if that is true?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I am a higher spin player and our greens are usually receptive, so I've been playing the 330RX which is a kind of tweener ball. Sounds like this one is worth a look for me too.

I have only played the AVX in the Optic Yellow. For a Yellow ball with dyed Urethane it felt quite soft and not like plastic, as many covers of yellow balls feel to me. I've used the Chrome Soft and the Soft X, the ZStar and the ZStar XV, the NXT Tour S, and the B330RX. For me it spins more than the 330RX and I felt like on chips and pitches had a lower launch angle. What did you think of the TP5x?

TSR2 15* Di7s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

Hope they are not discontinued, as I have to admit I really like the AVX......sure I wish they were a bit less expensive, but the performance is there for me.

PXG Gen2 0811XF LIN-Q Purple stiff

Mizuno STX 5W Fujikura Motore F3 70 stiff

Ping G425 4H Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 reg

PXG Gen 3 P 5-AW Accra i80 stiff

PXG  Forged 55* Accra i80 stiff

Cleveland CBX 2 Full Face 60* * 64*

PXG One & Done P2 Reflex Tour grip

Golf Pride Microsuede

I am a higher spin player and our greens are usually receptive, so I've been playing the 330RX which is a kind of tweener ball. Sounds like this one is worth a look for me too.

I have only played the AVX in the Optic Yellow. For a Yellow ball with dyed Urethane it felt quite soft and not like plastic, as many covers of yellow balls feel to me. I've used the Chrome Soft and the Soft X, the ZStar and the ZStar XV, the NXT Tour S, and the B330RX. For me it spins more than the 330RX and I felt like on chips and pitches had a lower launch angle. What did you think of the TP5x?

Benkross that is exactly what I noticed with my wedges too (coming from NXT Tour) but the AVX came off lower and with a lot more spin. I as well game the 6.0's in my SM6 wedges. Love the AVX!

• 3 weeks later...

Was at my courses simulator last night using the AVX for testing. Was with the pro and another player all trying our to see spin rates and feel. Both were in the 270-290 area on average with a few below average, their norm is about 10 yards less. I thought they were joking until I hit it, my average carry was 295 and rolled another 15 yards. My long of the night was 340 with a 307 carry. This ball is great on the simulator but I cannot wait to see in in real course play. Anyone have insight from the PGA show on their full release?

Played about 12 holes today with the AVX and it did perform well but again nothing special. Ball flight off driver seems extremely low but maybe since I normally play the 2017 XV its magnified for me.

Short clubs did release more than I would like on the greens but not a horrible ball. Just cannot see being on the upper end of the price spectrum based on what it's limitations are.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Played about 12 holes today with the AVX and it did perform well but again nothing special. Ball flight off driver seems extremely low but maybe since I normally play the 2017 XV its magnified for me.

Short clubs did release more than I would like on the greens but not a horrible ball. Just cannot see being on the upper end of the price spectrum based on what it's limitations are.

I think it is noticeably lower flight than ProV1x, also.

Sorry if already mentioned but I saw these today at my local pga superstore and there was a sign that stated “4 box limit per customer”. What a way to over hype your new ball that’s the same price as your premium ball......

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

It’s funny. My course’s pro shop gets small AVX allocations and it takes several weeks but they eventually sell out.

But I bought some off a course pro shop in Florida who got a huge shipment of them and basically sold zero.

And then some other places sell them at list price but feel the need to limit quantities.

That tells me there must be a very specific type of buyer who really like AVX while everyone else doesn’t care for it at all. That has been the case among people at my club. A few of us cottoned to it right away but a lot of people tried one sleeve and couldn’t get back to their ProV1 quick enough.

Sorry if already mentioned but I saw these today at my local pga superstore and there was a sign that stated "4 box limit per customer". What a way to over hype your new ball that's the same price as your premium ball......

LOL! I don't take it as hype, as much as Titleist tweaking Costco (who posted that KSig sales were limited to 4 dozen per customer).

One of the other things I've considered in this whole Titleist / Costco thing is the possibility that "the high tide raises all ships" and that the success of the K Sig has actually elevated Titleist sales of ProVs and maybe other models, too...

Sorry if already mentioned but I saw these today at my local pga superstore and there was a sign that stated "4 box limit per customer". What a way to over hype your new ball that's the same price as your premium ball......

LOL! I don't take it as hype, as much as Titleist tweaking Costco (who posted that KSig sales were limited to 4 dozen per customer).

One of the other things I've considered in this whole Titleist / Costco thing is the possibility that "the high tide raises all ships" and that the success of the K Sig has actually elevated Titleist sales of ProVs and maybe other models, too...

so why did Titleist decide to release the velocity in orange and yellow ? Sounds to me they are trying to get back lost market share

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow