2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

I'm a high-spin, higher swing-speed player and actually liked the AVX. I've played the ProV line for a LONG time until hitting the Srixon XV and TP5.

Even though I love Titleist, I think they are dumb as hell to make the ProV less spin and the X more. Why would you market these two a certain way for so long and then all of a sudden...switch? Doesn't make sense...

I wouldn't pay $48 for the AVX but if they replaced the NXT tour line, I would consider putting in play. Harder ball but has control and will check when needed. Was impressed until I saw the price.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a high-spin, higher swing-speed player and actually liked the AVX. I've played the ProV line for a LONG time until hitting the Srixon XV and TP5.

Even though I love Titleist, I think they are dumb as hell to make the ProV less spin and the X more. Why would you market these two a certain way for so long and then all of a sudden...switch? Doesn't make sense...

I wouldn't pay $48 for the AVX but if they replaced the NXT tour line, I would consider putting in play. Harder ball but has control and will check when needed. Was impressed until I saw the price.

They have not “switched” the performance characteristics of the ProV1 and ProV1x. Titleist say the ProV1x is the same as before except for “more consistent” dimples. And that the nw ProV1 is now closer to ProV1x in distance than before with slightly more spin than before.

Its an excellent ball. better than Chrome soft or Bridgestone RX or B330 S-- Ill guess its an 80 compression Prov1X. Does evrything spins great putts true. Price is MUCH TOO HIGH. If they lower the price to 38 instead of 49 they will crush the compettion.
that’s a personal preference. I have played the AVX and it feels a little dead, much like the QST. Great ball for $29.99 but CS, Z-Star and B330-RX all are better for me. Chrome is currently $31.99 and you can use in store coupon (not online). Z-Star is buy 3 get 1 free and last years B330-RX are $35.00 plus you can use coupons.

So while at $39.99 the AVX would have some serious fans, it would NEVER crush the competition.

Where can you get the z-star buy 3 get 1?

9* Taylormade Sim 2 with Ventus Black 7x

15* Taylormade Sim 2 with Tensei Pro Blue 80tx

Mizuno Fly-Hi 3,4,5 iron Project X 6.5

Mizuno MP-5, 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115x

Titleist Vokey 50*, 54* with Project X 6.5

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* with Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Its an excellent ball. better than Chrome soft or Bridgestone RX or B330 S-- Ill guess its an 80 compression Prov1X. Does evrything spins great putts true. Price is MUCH TOO HIGH. If they lower the price to 38 instead of 49 they will crush the compettion.
that’s a personal preference. I have played the AVX and it feels a little dead, much like the QST. Great ball for $29.99 but CS, Z-Star and B330-RX all are better for me. Chrome is currently $31.99 and you can use in store coupon (not online). Z-Star is buy 3 get 1 free and last years B330-RX are $35.00 plus you can use coupons.

So while at $39.99 the AVX would have some serious fans, it would NEVER crush the competition.

Where can you get the z-star buy 3 get 1?

lots of retailers have this deal. Sometimes it’s only with personalization.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

One of my friends mailed me an AVX ball to try and I received it late yesterday afternoon. Being the best friend I can be, I promptly took the morning off and went to the course to test it out. (A little about my game- 95mph with driver and I think my current handicap is 1 or a tad higher. Strength of my game is iron play and short game. If I could drive it better (longer) or putt better (mostly reading putts) my handicap would probably be +2 or so. I have shot 64 in the past, but I have also shot 90. lol) Anyway, I play the Bridgestone RX so I felt this would be a pretty good comparison to the AVX.

I won't go thru the hole by hole thing, but will divide it up like this:

Driver- I am consistant with driver swing speed, trajectory and so forth so I feel I can give an honest assesment here and this is there is no real difference between the 2 balls. They both feel the same off the driver and distances were almost identical.

Iron Play- Once again, I did not notice much of a difference between the 2 balls. Trajectoy was pretty much the same, spin was pretty much the same, dispersion was pretty much the same, etc...

Wedge play- I can spin the golf ball as well as anyone and one reason I play the RX is because it allows me to take off some of the unnecessary spin I could impart on the golf ball at times when it is not needed. The AVX is pretty much the exact same for me. If I tried to rip it back, I could. If I tried to play a nice dead hands shot and stop it, I could. Both balls are very controllable.

Pitches and Chips- Once again, both balls performed very similar. I could easily stop a pitch shot with both balls and chip and runs were easily judgeable.

Putting- Both balls feel great off the putter and both rolled true

I know this is a pretty mundane comparison, but both balls were just so much alike to me and I could easily game the new AVX without ever missing a beat. This is just the way my game is set up so your miles may vary.

One last thing before I before I wish everyone a wonderful and safe weekend- I am not a rich person. I live paycheck to paycheck just like 90% of the people on this board. One thing I will not sacrifice in my golf game is the price of the golfball I play. If the best golf ball for my game is a $5 a ball, I will pay that price. If it is a $1 a ball, I will pay that price. Everyone has a ball they will play their best golf with so find it, stick with it and enjoy the game :)

Everyone have a wonderful and safe weekend

Great review coachemup!

I had a very similar reaction to this ball. I have a similar game and index to yours.

Which got me to thinking. I've been a ProV1 and ProV1x player forever. However, this has made me realize there are some really good balls out there, other than ProV's and I can probably pay less for the same quality.

Titleist has inadvertently gotten me to start a new search for my next go-to ball. Not sure that was what they intended...

I just don’t get it...maybe at the NXT price range? But not at the full-freight price. Especially when Vice and Snell are making comparable balls at a lower price.

9* Taylormade Sim 2 with Ventus Black 7x

15* Taylormade Sim 2 with Tensei Pro Blue 80tx

Mizuno Fly-Hi 3,4,5 iron Project X 6.5

Mizuno MP-5, 6-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115x

Titleist Vokey 50*, 54* with Project X 6.5

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* with Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Took my 2nd go around with the AVX today and again the ball just felt dead. Wouldn’t even rank this ball in my top 10. I was very happy when I lost it left in the hazard on #8

Went back to my Srixon which plays and feels better for me.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Still haven't seen these for sale around the Houston area. I want to try them out just out of curiosity

And you won't (yet..?), as you can only find them in stores in CA, AZ and FL, or on the internet.

Obviously, this is Titleist's "answer" to the K-Sig.

It's not really an answer. It will be marketed in Costco around the country in 2018!

Titleist, welcome to the mainstream retail golf market! Don't forget to buy some lube on the way out!

Still haven't seen these for sale around the Houston area. I want to try them out just out of curiosity
And you won't (yet..?), as you can only find them in stores in CA, AZ and FL, or on the internet.
Obviously, this is Titleist's "answer" to the K-Sig. It's not really an answer. It will be marketed in Costco around the country in 2018! Titleist, welcome to the mainstream retail golf market! Don't forget to buy some lube on the way out!

i have seen these all over in NV $39/dozen.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I stopped using Titleist balls a long time ago after watching various adverts showing so many pros using them....and not one paying, that but was down to mug punters like you and me.

Wilson Zip is 75% cheaper and for my game it is an excellent performer.

I stopped using Titleist balls a long time ago after watching various adverts showing so many pros using them....and not one paying, that but was down to mug punters like you and me.

Wilson Zip is 75% cheaper and for my game it is an excellent performer.

Is this just a vg3 model that's come to the states?

More like a Prestige.

Manufacturer Description

The Titleist Prestige Golf Ball is their Premium Distance ball designed for excellent spin and control around the green yet a strong trajectory & improved distance for long shots.

• Multi-Layer core
  • New Soft High Power ZG inner core
  • 352 Dimple Design and Staggered Wave Parting line
  • High Performance Cast Urethane Outer layer

Is this just a vg3 model that's come to the states?

More like a Prestige.

Manufacturer Description

The Titleist Prestige Golf Ball is their Premium Distance ball designed for excellent spin and control around the green yet a strong trajectory & improved distance for long shots.

• Multi-Layer core
  • New Soft High Power ZG inner core
  • 352 Dimple Design and Staggered Wave Parting line
  • High Performance Cast Urethane Outer layer

I posted the same information in some thread right after the AVX came out. I have some of the Prestige balls. Same dimple pattern. Same specs. The Prestige is the only other Titleist urethane covered ball that is available in Yellow as the AVX. The Prestige balls have been available for under $20/dozen from golfballs.com and WRX sponsor Morton Golf sales for some time.

its exactly like a Prov1 or X but 75-80 compression--spin playability etc all the same--plus it comes in optic yellow

Hope this is an attempt at sarcasm and not a sales pitch as there are a number of other balls that meet both criteria available for 1/2 to 3/4's the price.

its exactly like a Prov1 or X but 75-80 compression--spin playability etc all the same--plus it comes in optic yellow

Perhaps you have more experience than me with AVX but I got ahold of one yellow AVX and played it for two rounds in place of my usual ProV1x.

I think the ProV1x spins as much or more than any ball out there on wedge shots between 20 and 60 yards. The AVX is noticeably lower spin on those shots.

AVX also flies lower off my driver than ProV1x but definitely lands hotter and adds a few yards to my my driver roll out.

Hope this is an attempt at sarcasm and not a sales pitch as there are a number of other balls that meet both criteria available for 1/2 to 3/4's the price.

Titleist balls are always priced higher than competitors. Not exactly a news scoop, there.

Maple Hill Golf tweeted that they have them in store. They are a large shop/golf course out on the west side of Michigan.