Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

I like how Titleist has said for years and years that everybody should play a ProV and that they can compress it. Then they release this. I still have a few hundred Lethals left. I’m good for another few years. :tongue:

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume this is their play to maybe try and market themselves as "best soft urethane ball that still spins like a ProV", but with more distance. Problem is that the Chrome Soft and B330RXS are already insanely soft... and already spin as much as a ProV. Not to mention the ball would still need to conform to the rules of golf and much like driver heads, balls are already pretty much maxed out as far as distance goes.

Basically just trying to grab some market share in the soft, yet spinny ball category and spin it off like it's the next best thing in golf.

RXS spins as much as a ProV1? Do you know this? I'm genuinely curious. I played both of these balls this year and thought the ProV1 had more spin. B330S to me seems to spin about as good as a ProV1.

Apologies for the off topic post :-)

Not quite... but the chrome soft still does...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/spin-zone-hot-list-ball-spin-chart-shows-more-spin-at-lower-prices

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I like how Titleist has said for years and years that everybody should play a ProV and that they can compress it. Then they release this. I still have a few hundred Lethals left. I'm good for another few years. :tongue:

Ideal compression will max out distance, that said, the majority of golfers out there do not have any issue compressing the ProV1, at least not with driver.

I feel I lose a tad of distance with the chrome soft, and even the ProV1 non-x (over compression), but I get this back with a bit of a boost on the irons (ideal compression).

Realistically, you never hit any 2 clubs in your bag with the same compression/force, that would defy the laws of physics. Therefore, no matter what ball you choose, there will be a place in your set where you have ideal compression, a place where you have under compress (maybe on a finesse wedge?), and a place you have over compression (driver, unless you pick a ball for driver only, and that isn't brilliant)

The only way to avoid this is to choose a ball that is either entirely too soft for your whole bag (not sure if this exists for most people), or a ball that is entirely too hard for your whole bag (maybe if you have low swing speed).

I have experienced both sides of this. The chrome soft is really long on mid irons, but a tad short on driver. The RZN black I used to play was insanely long on driver, but a tad short on irons and wedges...

It is a dynamic game, so there is no ideal. Figure out what maxes out your performance.

This ball isn't to replace the ProV1, its a go-straight urethane ball that I doubt any legitimate professional will play. That said, the Chrome Soft was supposed to be the same, and suddenly all the pros swapped out their SR3 balls for that.

I chased those extra driver yards and dumped the chrome soft because of it, only to come back when I realized how ignorant that was. 290 drive and 150 9iron is no different than 295 driver and 145 9iron. So I chose for feel and control.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

possibly replacing the NXT Line?

This is not the idea of this ball. Essesntially, Titleist is trying to make a high-quality golf ball that has exceptional distance. "Designed for the seeker" is what Titleist is using as a slogan for this trial ball, meaning that this ball is ideally designed for the golfer who is struggling with distance and trying to find an extra couple of yards. My opinion of the target market for this golf ball is the elderly golfer that is okay with paying a premium level price tag for a ball that is designed to give some distance.

This is not the idea of this ball. Essesntially, Titleist is trying to make a high-quality golf ball that has exceptional distance. "Designed for the seeker" is what Titleist is using as a slogan for this trial ball, meaning that this ball is ideally designed for the golfer who is struggling with distance and trying to find an extra couple of yards. My opinion of the target market for this golf ball is the elderly golfer that is okay with paying a premium level price tag for a ball that is designed to give some distance.

If this ball was designed to promote distance for an "elderly" golfer, then that golfer can easily pick up some Velocity's and be done with it. Or for a little spin, a DT TruSoft and both are going to be $20-$25 cheaper a box. To be honest, when you're talking about a softer ball, there are a ton of golfers who would use it that aren't old. :) But in all seriousness, from what I'm hearing, it's a really good ball. I'm still not convinced it's going to be $48 a box. That's got to be MSRP. I'm thinking no more than $40. It's competition is going to be the Callaway CS or the Bridgestone RX series.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'm that guy. Handicap has gone from 6 to 10. I need every yard that I can get on the courses that I play. My lag putting is still fine, my short game and sand play is still fine, but my distance suffers as I get older (65). If this ball can help somewhat, I am a customer. I bet that is what Titleist was aiming for. Same market as the C15 - which I cannot afford.

but I play ProV1X, so I can afford this ball if it works out for me.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

The only way this ball survives is for the Titleist diehards who always wanted a yellow Urethane golf ball. If it's the ssame price as a ProV1 it will sell, but not enough to to sway any new customers. Only taking money from the ProV1 stream and moving it laterally.

It must be $40 or less to even stand a chance IMO. If 2018 has a QST yellow for $30 as hinted, I really have a hard time seeing this be around for more than a season or 2 at best.

All that being said, maybe they are old Ksig overruns and they will go for $70 on ebay? :taunt:

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

So, is this a K-Sig knockoff at 2x+ the cost?

No, I think that it is competition for the B330 RX or the Q-Star Tour, but at a higher price (Titleist fan boys ((like me)) will pay for perceived quality control). A softer ball than the ProV1x that goes as far (or farther?), and still spins on pitch shots. Maybe a Velocity with a softer urethane cover and feel.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

So, is this a K-Sig knockoff at 2x+ the cost?

k-sigs have gone the way of the dodo bird anyway.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

AVX on general release early 2018. NXT line is history.

If so, that will be a mercy killing for the NXT.

Selling a Surlyn ball for, what, something like $36/dozen? It's a testament to the Titleist brand's marketing power that they were ever selling a single box of those.

By contrast, a ball more or less similar to ProV1 but with a thicker, cheaper urethane cover would almost seem a bargain at something like $40/dozen.

AVX on general release early 2018. NXT line is history.

If so, that will be a mercy killing for the NXT.

Selling a Surlyn ball for, what, something like $36/dozen? It's a testament to the Titleist brand's marketing power that they were ever selling a single box of those.

By contrast, a ball more or less similar to ProV1 but with a thicker, cheaper urethane cover would almost seem a bargain at something like $40/dozen.

Except no ball for $40 a dozen is a bargain. It's ridiculous

I just hope people don't go crazy for these balls and they sell-out fast in Florida, Arizona, and California. A secondary market will be created and Titleist will probably increase the price instead of decreasing it come February. I still believe that certain balls in this segment sell because of price rather than the soft feel and low spin. I could be wrong though.

How come I hit the ball the same distance I did 10 years ago and shoot the same score? Seems like every year the marketing says the ball and clubs are better. Aging?

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

Why are they not on the USGA Conforming Golf Ball list? Would they test market these, and only then go through the process of proving they're conforming?

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 GD Tour AD Red 55 S
4W: Callaway Mavrik 16.5
Hyb: Wishon 2 & 3 (18*, 21*)
Redbird Avian Forged 5-GW
SW/LW: Miura 56*, 60* K grind

Putter: Miura KM008
Srixon Q Star soon to try Vice Pro Zero

I like the dimple design, at least in the picture. Does anyone know if this is a replacement for something or an addition to the current line?

Edit: I saw in the article on the main Golfwrx site that it is a test product.

From what I have read, it is not a replacement, nor in the line up....yet. This is a test marketing. It is a 3 pc ball and will be priced with the pro V's

Why is this ball being released in North America at the end of the golf season? I live in Northern California and it is starting to get a bit cold here already.

Other than that I will likely try this ball as it seems to be what I'd like: more distance from a moderate swing speed. But I'd rather see it at $35 as I usually pay about that per dozen.

Based on the market locations and the time of year, they are targeting the "mature" segment of the population. More specifically, the older population that used to use ProV1X or ProV1, and now believe they are to much ball for them and have left the franchise for another brand ball. I see this as a way to hang on to those leaving Titleist for another option. Price is not a concern for those buying Prov1's. I will try them because I have been one asking Titleist to produce an optic yellow Prov1 for years. I have also used Prov1's for years and choose to pay the extra because I have gotten used to them and I know what they will do. Would another cheaper ball do the same? Sure, I don't play any better or worse with a Bridgestone, Wilson, MG, Taylormade, etc. I just feel comfortable with the Titleist ball. Folks in my age range and level of ability are their target, that it. Nothing magical about it.