Backstopping needs to be stopped

OldTomMorris

http://www.golfchann...eeds-be-stopped

I'm surprised by the number of people that find this acceptable. Personally I don't like and I suspect most golfers who have been playing the game for years will not be comfortable with this. I might be completely misreading the mood on this but it doesn't feel right to me.

The excuses from the players are weak. see Justin Thomas' response on Twitter to Will Gray of the Golf Channel.

https://twitter.com/...159329450651649

Again, I may be wrong but I imagine most of the more "senior" players on tour wont like this.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my understanding, the player has a right to mark his ball before the player next up hits. This would invalidate JTs response and makes him look like an uninformed moron. It does appear there is either some sort of collusion/unwritten rule thing going on, or players are too buddy-buddy to enforce their right to mark (which would result in a DQ of the offending party and some hurt feelings).

Hitting a ball from a plugged lie is pretty difficult if you ask me. Seems like a bit of an over-reaction to me.

With respect, in my opinion the degree of difficulty of the shot is irrelevant. The proximity of his playing partner's ball to the hole is the relevant factor.

I have seen this type of thing happen on a more regular basis in recent times, whereas in the past it was extremely rare for a player not to mark his ball when it was in close proximity to the hole.

OK this incident is getting more traction as Finau actually hit the other ball and he was in a position to potentially win the tournament.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

The Finau situation occurred because the other player (Kokrak, I believe) pitched to the green and hadn't had time yet to mark his ball, as Finau was ready to play from the bunker.

I think for collusion to occur, the two of them had to agree to the arrangement of leaving the ball in place while the bunker shot was played, and there is no indication that happened.

FWIW - you give Finau 25 balls from the bunker with the lie that he had, and I doubt that none of those would have hit the ball like the one he played during the tournament.

Let it go...the ricochet could well have gone many different directions. I know that "these guys are good" but not good enough to repeatedly hit another ball by the hole from a buried lie in a bunker.

If your ball gets knocked you could end up with a much worse putt or even get bumped off the green.

Under the rules of golf the "knocked" ball will always be replaced

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Hours and hours spent on here and this is the first time I have ever heard of "backstopping".

Am I the only one?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Such a pathetic non issue that is only being discussed because it almost came close to impacting a tournament, which means it had yet to do so until now.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-7i 26*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Exactly, it almost never happened years ago with shots from around the green.

As I said I've noticed it becoming more prevalent in recent times and clearly I'm not the only one.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

You want them to play faster, right?

Yes but they must continue to protect the field, its not a binary choice.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Could Finau even see the ball from the bunker? From the short Twitter link, it looked like he couldn't see over the lip.

And if he is that good he can hit a ball from a plugged lie, why doesn't he hit the flag and give himself a chance of holing out.

With respect your logic is flawed, if the ball was marked which up until recently almost all players did this almost 100% of the time he would only have the pin to hit and every player in the field would have the same option if they found themselves in a similar position. With the ball unmarked there are two potential backstops and the ball is only present for him.

He has an advantage but there is no guarantee he will be able to make use of that advantage but it exists.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Could Finau even see the ball from the bunker? From the short Twitter link, it looked like he couldn't see over the lip.

And if he is that good he can hit a ball from a plugged lie, why doesn't he hit the flag and give himself a chance of holing out.

He may not have been able to see it from his stance but I'd be shocked if he wasn't aware of the general vicinity of the ball at rest, knowing it wasn't marked and could stop his plugged lie screamer in the slim chance it happened to hit it.

With respect your logic is flawed, if the ball was marked which up until recently almost all players did this almost 100% of the time he would only have the pin to hit and every player in the field would have the same option if they found themselves in a similar position. With the ball unmarked there are two potential backstops and the ball is only present for him.

He has an advantage but there is no guarantee he will be able to make use of that advantage but it exists.

Totally agree. Even saw a HS golf coach on twitter defending it. Just completely against the spirit of the game imo.

I can't believe more people don't think this is an issue. Clearly there is an unspoken agreement among players to collude on this, a loophole that allows them to circumvent a rule in place to prevent this from happening. Clearly Finau is not aiming for the ball, but its presence gives him an advantage over someone in a similar position on the course whose playing partner is not near the hole. I don't see how anyone can't see this as an advantage. There should be a level playing field for all, among things that can be controlled. And this is something that can be controlled.

Such a non issue. Literally dumber than talking about what pants Ian poulter is wearihg .... no way on the planet anyone is hitting a ball on the green on purpose. Why not just hole it if this is so ?

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Such a non issue. Literally dumber than talking about what pants Ian poulter is wearihg .... no way on the planet anyone is hitting a ball on the green on purpose. Why not just hole it if this is so ?

I don't think this issue is that hard to understand. I don't believe anyone is actually aiming for the ball, but it's mere presence gives the player an advantage by acting as a potential, additional backstop.

Lucky break for Finau.

To curb "backstopping", where do you draw the line? If someone is greenside then balls have to be marked? 10 yards off? 20? 100?

I really can see where people see it as a problem (although I don't think it happens enough to be an issue), just don't know to regulate it.

I don't think this issue is that hard to understand. I don't believe anyone is actually aiming for the ball, but it's mere presence gives the player an advantage by acting as a potential, additional backstop.

I just don't see it. And I play a lot of serious rounds. If anything it would distract me. No way I see it as help. I'm certain it's just groups trying to stay away from being in the clock. All the old crusties want " faster play " as they shout " pace of play while we're young " ( the irony lol) , now the same ones are saying slow down and wait for someone to walk up and mark. Quite the contradiction isn't it ?

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

For the people saying that they are gaining an advantage on the field, are the players going to have to start marking the ball whenever their playing partner hits it close? 200 yard par three, first guy hits it close, hold up! Let him go mark it before the second guy hits. Wouldn’t want to create a backstop. Get outta here. Just stop.

Is it an advantage? Sure, it could be, but only if the player actually hits the ball, otherwise if he misses the ball, it wasn’t an advantage. And what happens if the player hits the ball and it ends up further away from the hole than it was actually going to be? That’s just as good of a possibility.

What’s next? Are we going to make people wait for the wind to die down on a downwind par five because the morning groups didn’t have the downwind and couldn’t get there in two? So silly.

There’s always going to be a rub of the green. It’s the nature of golf or any sport for that matter. The funny thing is, the real tradition of the sport of golf wouldn’t let you mark the ball. Play it as it lies.

Man all of you "wouldn't he just make it?" guys are missing the point completely.

Just read what JT says about it. "if i want to rush and hit a shot for that reason it's my right"

He then goes on to make the awful comparison between this and the size of the gallery. If the obvious difference there escapes you too, I'm not sure any explanation will be helpful.

Every person who is defending the practice and is saying it's not looking for any advantage isn't listening to Thomas. He's freely acknowledging that's the goal.

Again, we're talking about protecting the field.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Man all of you "wouldn't he just make it?" guys are missing the point completely.

Just read what JT says about it. "if i want to rush and hit a shot for that reason it's my right"

He then goes on to make the awful comparison between this and the size of the gallery. If the obvious difference there escapes you too, I'm not sure any explanation will be helpful.

Every person who is defending the practice and is saying it's not looking for any advantage isn't listening to Thomas. He's freely acknowledging that's the goal.

Again, we're talking about protecting the field.

Sure. It maybe his goal. That just makes him a tool. No need to enact a rule for one tool.!( sorry. That was just laying there. I had to pick it up). Thomas is aboot to learn a good lesson. Just because you won a major doesn't mean you should get loose lipped on twitter. It will only hurt him. Nothing to be gained.

Still don't see how you can do anything aboot it even if it is a issue. Like was said above , are you going to have guys walk up and mark on all close hit approaches too? If not then I don't see how you can do a thing.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hours and hours spent on here and this is the first time I have ever heard of "backstopping".

Am I the only one?

40 years of golf and first time for me also. who the hell can hit a ball on the green on purpose with their ball?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]