2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Backstopping needs to be stopped

OldTomMorris

This is cheating just like in Nascar when drivers allow other drivers from the same ownership to block and/or draft behind them in order to beat third party drivers. Remember in Talladega nights? Finau and Kokrak basically did a little Shake and Bake.

Lol. That's not Cheating either. They are teammates.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it's not players running up and marking their balls, exactly what do you mean when you say "every effort was made to avoid this kind of scenario"? What other kind of efforts were they making?

In recent times there have been incidents highlighted on Twitter which I remember seeing while watching coverage where the players have been at or around the green and chip shots, bunkers shots etc have been played with a ball adjacent to the whole - in these incidents there was no conceivable reason for the ball not to be marked. Historically the ball would have been marked in these instances.

Geoff Shackleford has been highlighting this for a while now. I get it that not everyone sees it the same but its definitely becoming more of a common practice so if anything it will be more of an issue in the future especially if someone happens to win an event after doing this.

Of course, Shackelford will high light anything he can take drive by potshots at tour pros. Guy is still mad he wasn't good enough to play regularly on his college team, let alone further. :taunt:

Randall Mell wrote the article I referenced, even if Shackleford does have an axe to grind doesn't mean his point isn't valid. Agree or disagree there is an underlying integrity question about this issue and some may find it a worthwhile discussion.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

If you are skilled enough to deliberately hit another player's ball from a bunker, why not just hole out? The hole is a bigger target. Also why would players collude on this? If your ball gets knocked you could end up with a much worse putt or even get bumped off the green.

THIS

Apparently you two need to reread the rule book, if the player whose ball is already on the green is smacked it replaced as close to the original position as possible with no strokes.

Which is why players choose to leave the ball, because it helps out their buddy and cant hurt them in any way.

Yeah it was pointed out to me that the rule states you can replace your ball which I actually didn't realise but makes sense. But I still question why players would want to collude. Golfers play for themselves and you don't see much commraderie on the course, even amongst friends. So if someone whacks your ball and you get to replace it, you may still have stopped a rival's ball from speeding off into a bunker/water etc and that guy could then win and take your cash. Can't see pro golfers being too cool with that.

On the most recent State of the Game podcast Geoff Ogilvy addresses this. He basically said it's become a professional courtesy, albeit one now used more and more frequently. For anyone who doesn't believe this is something done for one player to help another, listen to the podcast and hear it directly from a Tour player.

With regard to how this could be enforced, there are way too many letter of the law people on here who could use some common sense. Leave it up to the committee. If a ball on the green is struck and the committee determines that the other play purposely left his ball there to assist the competitor, penalize the player two shots that left the ball. It's not hard to determine when you see a player leave his ball with the intent of helping his playing competitor. Common sense. This would eliminate all the issues of someone hitting a shot from 200 yards to a foot, or driving a par 4. The committee wouldn't rule in those cases that the player leaving their ball there is doing so to help the competitor. Common sense.

Or, the rules could be amended to mention if a competitor leaves their ball on the green unmarked as another competitor plays a greenside shot that the player leaving the ball will be penalized two shots if their ball is struck. Greenside doesn't have to be defined by exact measurements. Everyone knows what a greenside shot is. The committee rules on any ambiguity.

I just came up with these off the top of my head. There are lots of people who do this for a living that easily could come up with something that works. Not that hard. Many on this site could use a dose of common sense.

And finally, the players aren't aiming for the ball at rest! That is REALLY not a hard to concept to understand, along with the fact that two backstops, the ball and the flagstick, are better than one. That is what provides the advantage.

So if it's not players running up and marking their balls, exactly what do you mean when you say "every effort was made to avoid this kind of scenario"? What other kind of efforts were they making?

In recent times there have been incidents highlighted on Twitter which I remember seeing while watching coverage where the players have been at or around the green and chip shots, bunkers shots etc have been played with a ball adjacent to the whole - in these incidents there was no conceivable reason for the ball not to be marked. Historically the ball would have been marked in these instances.

Geoff Shackleford has been highlighting this for a while now. I get it that not everyone sees it the same but its definitely becoming more of a common practice so if anything it will be more of an issue in the future especially if someone happens to win an event after doing this.

It's not definitely becoming a more common practice, that's your opinion based on Twitter. You've provided no actual evidence that this is a new phenomenon. Of course there are more Tweets about it now, Twitter didn't exist 20-30 years ago.

It's not definitely becoming a more common practice, that's your opinion based on Twitter. You've provided no actual evidence that this is a new phenomenon. Of course there are more Tweets about it now, Twitter didn't exist 20-30 years ago.

Listen to Geoff Ogilvy's comments on the State of the Game podcast. He said its more prevalent now. As a tour player he would know better than any of us and I'd take his word for it over anyone on this site.

I repeat I've noticed a trend in over 35+ years watching golf and writers are writing about it, I'm not the only one. Golf writers existed before Twitter, the only reason I mentioned Twitter is that there is a permanent record on there. I don't have a catalogue of clips recorded from TV.

There is no reason to fabricate this.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

On the most recent State of the Game podcast Geoff Ogilvy addresses this. He basically said it's become a professional courtesy, albeit one now used more and more frequently. For anyone who doesn't believe this is something done for one player to help another, listen to the podcast and hear it directly from a Tour player.

With regard to how this could be enforced, there are way too many letter of the law people on here who could use some common sense. Leave it up to the committee. If a ball on the green is struck and the committee determines that the other play purposely left his ball there to assist the competitor, penalize the player two shots that left the ball. It's not hard to determine when you see a player leave his ball with the intent of helping his playing competitor. Common sense. This would eliminate all the issues of someone hitting a shot from 200 yards to a foot, or driving a par 4. The committee wouldn't rule in those cases that the player leaving their ball there is doing so to help the competitor. Common sense.

Or, the rules could be amended to mention if a competitor leaves their ball on the green unmarked as another competitor plays a greenside shot that the player leaving the ball will be penalized two shots if their ball is struck. Greenside doesn't have to be defined by exact measurements. Everyone knows what a greenside shot is. The committee rules on any ambiguity.

I just came up with these off the top of my head. There are lots of people who do this for a living that easily could come up with something that works. Not that hard. Many on this site could use a dose of common sense.

And finally, the players aren't aiming for the ball at rest! That is REALLY not a hard to concept to understand, along with the fact that two backstops, the ball and the flagstick, are better than one. That is what provides the advantage.

So you want the committee to make a judgement on a player's intent? That's not going to create a sh!tstorm of controversy. Wow, could you imagine this board if they made a ruling after the fact that impacted a major? Or even, bigger, impacted Tiger.

Yes and ideally the committee could do their mind reading the day after the tournament is over. That makes it even more arbitrary and unfair, just like we like it!

You guys crack me up.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Yes and ideally the committee could do their mind reading the day after the tournament is over. That makes it even more arbitrary and unfair, just like we like it!

You guys crack me up.

This really isn't that hard. It's easy to spot when you see it.

Listen to Geoff Ogilvy's comments on the State of the Game podcast. He said its more prevalent now. As a tour player he would know better than any of us and I'd take his word for it over anyone on this site.

Ian Baker Finch has been all over this for the last two seasons, too. Seems that he'd be familiar with the standard practice on tour going back quite a while.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

You guys crack me up.

I think we all know it goes on. And you're probably correct, most times it's likely you'll be able to discern when it happens.

But they won't enforce a slow penalty that is clear cut from a stopwatch. Does anyone really believe a commitment is going to stick their neck out and penalize a player for this?

Unless they find a scapegoat early in tournament and decide to use him to make an example.

You guys crack me up.

I think we all know it goes on. And you're probably correct, most times it's likely you'll be able to discern when it happens.

But they won't enforce a slow penalty that is clear cut from a stopwatch. Does anyone really believe a commitment is going to stick their neck out and penalize a player for this?

Unless they find a scapegoat early in tournament and decide to use him to make an example.

I agree with you and that's the frustrating part. Nothing would ever be called, akin to your slow play analogy. But perhaps the committee having the power to do this would be a deterrent in itself.

If that ball had been between him and the hole, you can bet he would have seen it and had it marked.

Which (along with probability, which is too much math for some) is the strongest argument for the existing rule (22.1). It's a guarantee that a good player will have a ball marked if it is between him/her and the hole. Behind the hole? Suddenly s/he doesn't care.

Hours and hours spent on here and this is the first time I have ever heard of "backstopping".

Am I the only one?

expected something more sinister..like a stuck plug

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Along with removing backstops, we also need to remove trees, as they occasionally shoot balls back into the fairway.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Such a pathetic non issue that is only being discussed because it almost came close to impacting a tournament, which means it had yet to do so until now.

Quite a few former players turned announcers openly speak out against it which tells me they know that players are doing it on purpose to possibly gain an advantage.

Such a pathetic non issue that is only being discussed because it almost came close to impacting a tournament, which means it had yet to do so until now.

Quite a few former players turned announcers openly speak out against it which tells me that they are terrified of dead air and always search for things to talk about.

Fixed that for you.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Very interesting to listen to his comments, its evolved innocently and organically but it exists. There is an unspoken understanding to leave the ball in a potentially advantageous position .

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Players will take every advantage they can get if there is wiggle room. You cannot blame the players.

This thing known as "backstopping" is definitely a recent thing though. In the past every effort was made to avoid the possibility of it happening, that effort now seems to be missing in some quarters.

Some might say its the slow erosion of integrity is permeating into the game of golf.

Unfortunately, integrity, wisdom, empathy and morality are slowly being weaned from our society, no matter how much many of us dislike it.

The root cause isn't an individual or two, it's the acceptance of the behavior. Unless rules are put in to stop it, and then those that violate are held accountable, it will continue.

The reality is, the gentlemen's game as it was traditionally played has gone by the wayside ever since big money came to be for the professional golfer.

Traditionally they played stymies. Buncha backstopping drama queens around here.

Very interesting to listen to his comments, its evolved innocently and organically but it exists. There is an unspoken understanding to leave the ball in a potentially advantageous position .

But what would your position be on what I said regarding the potentially equal disadvantages re: caroms/bad deflections?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Quite a few former players turned announcers openly speak out against it which tells me that they are terrified of dead air and always search for things to talk about.

Fixed that for you.

Thanks for nothing as I know a couple of them personally and they wouldn't be yammering about this for the reason you suggest when its must easier to talk about Phils fantastic short game as he misses another 3 footer. If you think they are bringing it up to fill dead air then enjoy your theory but I guarantee that they know its a game within the game and its shady at best.

But what would your position be on what I said regarding the potentially equal disadvantages re: caroms/bad deflections?

Not exactly sure what you mean so I may be a little off here.

Of course its not a guaranteed risk/reward payoff but its a probability thing. If in doubt they'll have it marked.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I can honestly say I've never seen a ball strike a ball near the hole and the ball be deflected into what would be a worse position. 100% of the times I've seen the ball ends up better off.

I can honestly say I've never seen a ball strike a ball near the hole and the ball be deflected into what would be a worse position. 100% of the times I've seen the ball ends up better off.

Of course, Shackelford will high light anything he can take drive by potshots at tour pros. Guy is still mad he wasn't good enough to play regularly on his college team, let alone further. :taunt:

I don't think it is new but tell us please if you would. Is this a new phenomenon or has it been common for years?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

You guys crack me up.

I agree with you and that's the frustrating part. Nothing would ever be called, akin to your slow play analogy. But perhaps the committee having the power to do this would be a deterrent in itself.

Already exist in the Decisions - but this is the PGA Tour, an entertainment business, integrity has no basis here.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Why would they do this? If Player A makes more money, Player B makes less. Most ridiculous pseudo rules discussion ever.

They could in theory also whisper when they discuss club selection with their caddie, have him hold up the wrong number of fingers to signal the TV guy or keep a towel over their bag lest a fellow competitor peek in and find out what club they are hitting. After all, knowing that MIGHT be a slight advantage to the other player once or twice in a decade.

But the rules say only that players cannot ask or be told what club someone else is using, not that they must go out of their way to keep it a secret.

The "professional courtesy" thing means not running around acting like you're looking for a 0.0000001% advantage over the other guy by getting your ball marked before he can hit up. It doesn't matter, the players know it doesn't matter and being a professional includes not making a BFD out of things that don't matter.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Good gracious. I don't recall this much angst in posts when Phil said there are players out there that are "liberal" when marking the ball. If true that would be a much bigger issue.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar