2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Crossfield on staff with Titleist (MERGED)

jonsnow

According to Crossfield on Twitter, TM have already thrown their toys out of the pram and are not going to supply product for reviews in the future. Implication that they aren’t happy that they didn’t get the gig as they were also involved in discussions. Definitely going to be a few interesting months ahead.

its a shame to see petty tweets from Shiels and Finch regarding that. Theres no need for petty childish comments when all Mark has done is state a fact.

On another slight aside point, I believe Shiels only has more subs than crossfield just now due to 'buying' subscribers with giveaways. Just a point to ponder.

This is hardly petty and going with the internet herd to put words in his mouth or ascribe motives isn't cool. I'll take his approach and attitude, and Finch's for that matter. And this was up to read well before you posted.

Don't see a single tweet of the kind you describe from Finch at all.

https://twitter.com/RickShielsPGA

Shiels wasnt as Petty as Finches retorts I'll grant you that. I dont follow your logic in saying he had posted an explanation on his tweets before I posted? it doesnt change the intent, meant or otherwise.

Then let's see the snarky stuff you are referring to, these guys are classy, Mark (though I like him) could be a little classier a lot more often.

hang on while I stop work- ignore the chores and family life and go sourcing stuff cause you cant be bothered!

heres a clue- its all over social media

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finch just indicated that he's getting a brand deal...sooo...is he a sellout now?

Yep.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that he didnt realise Crossfield moved the needle that much....... clearly Finch doesnt !!

Finch does not do club reviews. That is why. Everyone is talking about this because this affects a major part of his content.

You mean the large part of his content, that for years has had the same message ? I really don’t see why so many people seem to want to hang their opinion of a golf club on some guy thousands of miles away hitting balls on a simulator

Finch just indicated that he's getting a brand deal...sooo...is he a sellout now?

Yep.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that he didn’t realise Crossfield moved the needle that much....... clearly Finch doesn’t !!

Well Kevin, you need to pony up some facts.

In the world of golf instructors on YouTube, other than Me and My Golf, Shiels and Crossfield make a list of the "hot" or popular instructors that get touted and make a list of the top 10 and let's see how subscriber numbers stack up. He seems to move the needle pretty good. But you get us some evidence on that.

Jealousy and envy are cruel mistresses, or masters.

Could you try to explain your point again, I don’t understand what it is that you are trying to say. Do you mean “Me & My Golf, Shiels, Crossfield AND Finch” ? I was commenting on how I find it strange that Finch can announce deals and Mark can’t, despite the fact that Mark has been saying the same thing for years..... Get fit, have lessons, practice and play. This is what makes a good golfer, not 500 less spins.

Yep.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that he didn’t realise Crossfield moved the needle that much....... clearly Finch doesn’t !!

Well Kevin, you need to pony up some facts.

In the world of golf instructors on YouTube, other than Me and My Golf, Shiels and Crossfield make a list of the "hot" or popular instructors that get touted and make a list of the top 10 and let's see how subscriber numbers stack up. He seems to move the needle pretty good. But you get us some evidence on that.

Jealousy and envy are cruel mistresses, or masters.

Could you try to explain your point again, I don’t understand what it is that you are trying to say. Do you mean “Me & My Golf, Shiels, Crossfield AND Finch” ? I was commenting on how I find it strange that Finch can announce deals and Mark can’t, despite the fact that Mark has been saying the same thing for years..... Get fit, have lessons, practice and play. This is what makes a good golfer, not 500 less spins.

One of us is missing the other's, maybe it's me. If you intended that to be sarcastic, i.e. Finch doesn't move the needle (but you meant he really does) then it went over my head.

I like Crossfield’s main point that all manufacturers make good equipment. So, get something that you enjoy looking and fits what you want to do and play golf. I have a feeling that Shiels is hard to work with as he’s moved his teaching facility a few times in the past couple of years. I’ve actually stopped watching his channel as he is overly boastful when he is playing well and disinterested and withdrawn when he plays poorly. He seems to have a diva like quality to him. To a lesser extent Mark does as well, but he doesn’t seem to take himself quite as seriously. Having coach there for comic relief helps out a lot.

Then let's see the snarky stuff you are referring to, these guys are classy, Mark (though I like him) could be a little classier a lot more often.

hang on while I stop work- ignore the chores and family life and go sourcing stuff cause you cant be bothered!

You love Mark, tweet with him - great, that's what it's for. But don't come on and start claiming Shiels and Finch are tweeting out petty comments without backing it up, given Shiels has done the opposite and it's been linked for you and his comment was up for hours before you took a shot at him. Now you are unsubscribing from Finch and on and on. I think you are better than acting like a Crossfield minion in this instance, but they all have their passionate fans.

I enjoy all 3, hope they succeed and don't get too carried away with any of their comments or approaches.

Anyway, if they have petty comments, which you claim to be all over social media please share - I've indicated and "sourced" that clearly doesn't seem to be the case, as recently as early this morning with Shiels in particular. They remain classy, as always, from what I can see.

If the part about TaylorMade discussing sponsoring, but then deciding to not send him clubs for review anymore because he signed with someone else is true, it seems pretty hypocritical: "Signing with us is fine, signing with somebody else is unacceptable."

Apparently he's got emails from TM regarding their discussions about him signing as well.

I'd love Mark to burst and release them just to peg TM down a bit. Their behaviour this year around certain online reviewers and pros has been obnoxious.

You love Mark, tweet with him - great, that's what it's for. But don't come on and start claiming Shiels and Finch are tweeting out petty comments without backing it up, given Shiels has done the opposite and it's been linked for you and his comment was up for hours before you took a shot at him. Now you are unsubscribing from Finch and on and on. I think you are better than acting like a Crossfield minion in this instance, but they all have their passionate fans.

I enjoy all 3, hope they succeed and don't get too carried away with any of their comments or approaches.

Anyway, if they have petty comments, which you claim to be all over social media please share - I've indicated and "sourced" that clearly doesn't seem to be the case, as recently as early this morning with Shiels in particular. They remain classy, as always, from what I can see.

you 'sourced' one link to his twitter feed. You clearly disagree, thats ok. If you think Finches comments are 'classy' that says more about you than them, but it's your opinion and I respect that.

Shiels “gave” Dobby a set of Callaway irons a year or so ago. If the money for the clubs didn’t come out of his pocket, that sounds like Shiels received some sort of payment from Callaway. That’s not something an independent reviewer would do. Also, Finch took his father to Titleist for a full bag fitting... I’m not bagging on them, but most of the YouTubers receive goods as what I would consider compensation.

Seeing that TM won't work with Crossfield, it's a real shame. The guy is about as real as it gets when it comes to reviews.

The sarcasm, I can deal with. I'm from Boston. Sarcasm is a way of life and a term of endearment in some really messed up conversations.

Now, for TM to do what they did for Crossfield, I get it. I think we all get it. Why would we send you a product for review when you're sponsored / set up with another company at the possibility of getting a negative image put on it? That is a chance. Keep this in mind, even though Crossfield is now setup and in bed with Titleist, all other companies sending him product for review are taking a risk. That is common sense business practice. Because he could give the new irons, driver, putter, towel, ball, tee, bag, head cover, strap, range finder, hybrids, tees, ball marker, club cleaner, shoes, etc. etc. etc. a good review but, he can also compare them to Titleist products on the back end.

If I am send you a product for review, then I don't want you to compare to another product unless I am 100% guaranteed you will state that mine is better than the other. And now that Crossfield is attached to the Big T, you're almost 100% assured that it is not a 100% sure thing. I am company X and only want to hear about company X in the review. I don't want to even hear about Y, Z, A, B, C etc. Don't even bring it up.

I, for one, will not unsubscribe from any of the Youtubers I follow because they all give very different opinions on products. Finch, Shiels, Crossfield, etc. etc. all look for different things and test different. Mind you, each test provides data. Different data. It all matches up in the end of every weak minded individual on the forums, youtube, twitter etc. That final result is, if it feels good, if you play it well, if it is fitted for you and you have the cash then EVERY PRODUCT IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE OTHER.

you 'sourced' one link to his twitter feed. You clearly disagree, thats ok. If you think Finches comments are 'classy' that says more about you than them, but it's your opinion and I respect that.

Come now, nobody has been classy in all this brouhaha, least of all Mark Crossfield. He has been taking thinly veiled shots at Shiels and Finch for years. The key part of the "invisible driver" fallout -- and of his more recent tweet regarding TaylorMade's refusal to send him clubs -- was not his criticism of the company but his passive-aggressive reference to TM's "trusted sources." His strategy has been to imply that other YouTube reviewers are less honest and independent than he is while using coded language to maintain plausible deniability. It's slimy, and clearly the Shiels-Finch-Carter crew is having none of it. Admittedly, though, Shiels and Finch would have served themselves better by saying nothing at all.

Still, I don't think Crossfield's reviews will change. He'll get TM product, give his usual non-judgmental review, tout his own maverick-y independence, and move on.

All of this is kinda funny and soap operatic. Useful to keep in mind, though, that none of it matters even a little, and that all of these guys have about 1/50th as many YouTube subscribers as random teenage girls who do makeup tutorials.

I don't much will change with Crossfield's reviews or playing vlogs just because he signed with Titliest. His reviews are pretty tame recently with much less content other than him saying basically all clubs are the same and it's more dependent on the player ultimately. His earlier reviews from the range were much more informative vs his recent 'on course' reviews which are really just playing vlogs anyway. Having him sign with Titliest is not really any different from the other youtubers (Me and My Golf = TM, Finch = TM mostly, Chris Ryan = TM, Wisdom in Golf = Ping, etc.) and they don't tend to sway all their thoughts to the single manufacturer. I think it's just Titliest finding another way to get their product out there without having to pay the high cost of a tour pro. The bigger issue is that Crossfield needs to do more lesson work at the range and less daily vlogs from his living room and expand his equipment reviews to more than one or two holes. I enjoy his channel a lot but it's become too much about entertainment. He should have some segments with Coach teaching and others demoing clubs with Dan in the studio (that's gotten better recently). In the end we're talking about youtubers afterall and not a formal tv show so I think they are all evolving and trying to have fun. Wish them luck.

I don't much will change with Crossfield's reviews or playing vlogs just because he signed with Titliest. His reviews are pretty tame recently with much less content other than him saying basically all clubs are the same and it's more dependent on the player ultimately. His earlier reviews from the range were much more informative vs his recent 'on course' reviews which are really just playing vlogs anyway. Having him sign with Titliest is not really any different from the other youtubers (Me and My Golf = TM, Finch = TM mostly, Chris Ryan = TM, Wisdom in Golf = Ping, etc.) and they don't tend to sway all their thoughts to the single manufacturer. I think it's just Titliest finding another way to get their product out there without having to pay the high cost of a tour pro. The bigger issue is that Crossfield needs to do more lesson work at the range and less daily vlogs from his living room and expand his equipment reviews to more than one or two holes. I enjoy his channel a lot but it's become too much about entertainment. He should have some segments with Coach teaching and others demoing clubs with Dan in the studio (that's gotten better recently). In the end we're talking about youtubers afterall and not a formal tv show so I think they are all evolving and trying to have fun. Wish them luck.

This time of year is mostly all entertainment for these guys. Once Jan comes around they will be posting a lot more reviews. They need to pump out at least 4 or 5 vids a week to keep the money flowing in, so they do things like "viewers choice awards", etc. At least Crossfields vlogs have a fairly high production value. Shiels are pretty bad, its just some dudes walking around with a camera.

I haven't found any negative ones yet, so don't know what else to say. I'm sure if they are out there someone will find them and they will surface - anyway, we don't need to argue and you've seen something you think warrants your comments, certainly not saying you didn't, just wondering what they were, and "minion" was a poor choice of words.

I'm off to watch all three of their content for today! Guess you'll watch Crossfield and Shiels! ;-)

Come now, nobody has been classy in all this brouhaha, least of all Mark Crossfield. He has been taking thinly veiled shots at Shiels and Finch for years. The key part of the "invisible driver" fallout -- and of his more recent tweet regarding TaylorMade's refusal to send him clubs -- was not his criticism of the company but his passive-aggressive reference to TM's "trusted sources." His strategy has been to imply that other YouTube reviewers are less honest and independent than he is while using coded language to maintain plausible deniability. It's slimy, and clearly the Shiels-Finch-Carter crew is having none of it. Admittedly, though, Shiels and Finch would have served themselves better by saying nothing at all.

Still, I don't think Crossfield's reviews will change. He'll get TM product, give his usual non-judgmental review, tout his own maverick-y independence, and move on.

All of this is kinda funny and soap operatic. Useful to keep in mind, though, that none of it matters even a little, and that all of these guys have about 1/50th as many YouTube subscribers as random teenage girls who do makeup tutorials.

Absolutely spot on summary. Agree 100%.

Tried to make some similar observations about Crossfield earlier.

Still looking for the comments you claim were made by Finch - care to share any?

Shiels posted his goals and tweeted his followers re a good 2018 - goofballs ensued, his remarks were pretty tame and his tweet earlier today speaks for itself.

Didn't really notice Crossfield taking shots at them either.

Seems like a lot of twitter tweeties or twits (or whatever you call them) are just trying to poke whatever bear than can poke depending on their favorite, not much of a dustup, lol.

Still looking for the comments you claim were made by Finch - care to share any?

Shiels posted his goals and tweeted his followers re a good 2018 - goofballs ensued, his remarks were pretty tame and his tweet earlier today speaks for itself.

Seems like a lot of twitter tweeties or twits (or whatever you call them) are just trying to poke whatever bear than can poke depending on their favorite, not much of a dustup, lol.

I wasn’t the same guy you were talking to before, and I don’t think you really read what I wrote, but okay. Some screenshots:

98aa560dcb30476ae6486fa45ce25692.jpg

8affbeda56814bc50de40842a3642c00.jpg

6f50d99add6a3ce3be802cb1f4b731a7.jpg

3c601c8602e4f601b7822e4f6a666adb.jpg

6744548f7ffa7e90a4738ee5c774fe66.jpg

263a8ec2d28bd510060b9b8ce4edf52f.jpg

9b8605166f8462cad8b47a434ef82d86.jpg

5417a378c8188d27ea4ca25dd26fc361.jpg

I would think guys like Rick and Pete should be psyched for Mark, and psyched that it could mean they are next for some more royal treatment... not like it hasn't already happened for those guys. To act like they haven't been somewhat bought before is as hypocritical as MC has ever been. The fact that Mark won't be testing TM, but they will, now puts them in a tough position.... God forbid Rick and Pete have anything negative to say about their new gear, they'll be chopped, too? My guess is they will have nothing but good things to say.

Srixon ZX7 mkii 9.5 HZRDUS rdx red 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Srixon ZX5 mkii 3, ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

I am honestly surprised that Golf Channel hasn't taken note of how popular some of these YT'ers are and brought them on board to make a little something off of that popularity. (or perhaps they have attempted and the guys said no because didn't want to take a cut in pay?)

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I am honestly surprised that Golf Channel hasn't taken note of how popular some of these YT'ers are and brought them on board to make a little something off of that popularity. (or perhaps they have attempted and the guys said no because didn't want to take a cut in pay?)

Golf Channel might want them to be American based. But while GC is tight with Titleist, they don’t do club tests on their channel because they don’t want to upset any advertisers. Vlogs, yes. Club testing, no.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I wasn’t the same guy you were talking to before, and I don’t think you really read what I wrote, but okay. Some screenshots:

98aa560dcb30476ae6486fa45ce25692.jpg

8affbeda56814bc50de40842a3642c00.jpg

6f50d99add6a3ce3be802cb1f4b731a7.jpg

3c601c8602e4f601b7822e4f6a666adb.jpg

6744548f7ffa7e90a4738ee5c774fe66.jpg

263a8ec2d28bd510060b9b8ce4edf52f.jpg

9b8605166f8462cad8b47a434ef82d86.jpg

5417a378c8188d27ea4ca25dd26fc361.jpg

How pathetic.