2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Crossfield on staff with Titleist (MERGED)

jonsnow

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question is how much is Titleist paying him and what do they expect in return. Their is always a return! If it is just some cool videos about Titleist R&D come on...they would fly him out for those and not pay him. There is more to this. Perhaps Mark sees this as an opportunity to get into a role with one of the club manufactures and out of the YouTube scene. That would be understandable.

Here's the way I think about it:

Mark has 230k subscribers. Suppose at least another 20k watch his videos but are not subscribers. That makes about 250k viewers. Multiply it by all of his VLOGs - with each one being about 25 minutes - and that adds up to a LOT of exposure for a golf club company. Waaaay more exposure than they would get compared to sponsoring, say, the #67 ranked player on the PGA tour money list, who probably gets nearly zero exposure on TV.

And you have to consider that his audience is probably a lot more hard-core equipment junkies than the average viewer of a PGA tour event, which makes the exposure even more beneficial to them.

So that is what Titleist gets out of this deal. Pretty smart if you ask me.

My observations.

Hes an arse. In his vlogs his "banter" has a real edge of " im the boss my say goes" and his acolytes all go along with it. Personally i would be punching him before the 9th.

His digs at TM got the response he would have got from me. No way would he be invited to my làunch.

On a positive, he succeeds becaue he tells us what we already know deep down. The turbulators will make no difference, we dont need fluted hosels, driver heads all respond the same, what was a 7 iron loft is now an 8 or 9. Nothing compensates for a good swing and hitting the sweet spot. Oh, and with few exceptions like spin suiting club speed, balls all go the same distance.

As for Shiels and his puppy Finch. Shiels reviews are nonsense. He always shows the stats but his analysis has nothing to do with the results. From their accuracy on the vlogs they could not carry enough balls to get round my course. Dobby the elf, or whoever he is, i would happily run over.

Rick Shiels is being so petty about this right now. Just had to unsubscribe from Shiels and all of his social channels because of the blatant jealousy and pettiness on his part. Why can't people just be happy for their fellow YouTubers.

I couldn't find anything specifically. Where is he being petty?

Check his comments section on his post about testing upcoming for 2018. On both Instagram and Twitter he was called out for it. Check there. Someone asked what makes his reviews different from anyone else and he stated that he hasn’t sold out to an oem.

Will be interesting to see how things change, if they change, but no one here can say that if a top OEM wanted to sign them to some type of contract you would say "NO", so to call him a sell out is a bit cheap IMO. I just hope they do continue to let him do him so he can do honest reviews. He's always seemed to like Titleist's offerings so it's not some surprise to see him praise them from here on out. They knew who he was before, so if things do change, it will be all on him. I say, congrats.

I don't understand the comparison. We are mere mortals.

We aren't golf personalities trading on 'speaking our mind' and 'being independent' and we aren't suggesting to an audience of willing subscribers that our our opinions 'can't be bought'. The vast majority of us also haven't been critical of other YouTubers for being sell outs.

Remember the big song and dance when he didn't get some TaylorMade clubs to review? Basically, the insinuation was that others got the clubs to review because they had an affiliation with the manufacturer and were more likely to provide positive reviews. At the time I thought it was quite slanderous as I think Rick Shiels, Peter Finch et al have the same integrity that Crossfield prides himself on.

I don't think he is a sell out. I just think he is a hypocrite.

Again, what opinions have you seen Titleist "buy" from him? Go ahead, I will wait.....

In the meantime... he says they will continue to let him be him. It's obvious to most of you, he doesn't even deserve that chance and that's fine if you feel that way, don't F'ing watch the guy anymore!! Haha... I for the life of me can't understand why some of you are so angry at all this...LOL This kind of move was bound to happen with one, or more, of these guys at some point. How could you not see this coming?

Personally I think the guy deserves a chance to prove he is going to do what he says he's going to do and be allowed to do, you all are free to brandish your pitchforks but it just isn't that big of a deal. And so what if he has a Titleist bag or 12 in the background? There have been others on staff that were able to do unbiased reviews, why all of a sudden Crossfield is different is just interesting to me. It just seems like a free path to now unleash the negativity some feel about him and less about the possibility of a biased review that hasn't even taken place yet.

Calm down chief and understand my point a bit better.

I do not think he (or any of the YouTube golf pros) are sell outs. That's not what I said. What I said was that it is hypocritical of Crossfield to accuse others as he did during the "Taylormade club saga" given what he is doing now.

It's not a big deal. Just an observation. We've all been hypocrites at some point.

Can a golf club reviewer still give objective reviews while at the same time be compensated by a golf club manufacturer?

I would say it depends on the style of the reviewer.

Rick Shiels, for example, couldn't do this because of the style of his channel. He frequently compares and ranks clubs from different companies against each other (e.g. Top 10 irons of 2017). If he was sponsored by, say, Ping, and then declared that the i200 was the best iron of 2017 then that would certainly raise eyebrows. By the way, I like this opinionated style which is why Rick is one of my favorite reviewers on Youtube.

On the other hand, Crossfield's style is totally different. He doesn't "rank" golf clubs or say one is better than the other.

If you look at his reviews of the recent blades (Titleist mb, Apex mb, p730, MP18, etc.) you'll note that he gave them ALL about the same favorable review. In fact, all of his reviews say about the same thing (strike is king, test for yourself, get fit) which makes him not as interesting as a reviewer in my opinion.

Given this style, it is hard to imagine that Titleist would expect he would suddenly start pumping up Titleist and dissing other OEMs.

My guess is they simply want the exposure of Mark's 230k Youtube subscribers watching him play several vlogs a week with a big bag full of Titleist cubs in the cart.

Every time he hits a good drive Lockey will probably give some sarcastic comment about how great the "Titleist Staffer" is hitting that 917D and then Crossfield will laugh. The joke is, of course, that he'll hit the 917D the same as he hits every other driver (262 yards). The benefit to Titleist will simply be all the joking around about Titleist!

because that would be subjective -

Rick's latest rankings (best clubs of 2017) are based on what his subscribers voted for. It isn't his opinion. He has also said that he will do this every year going forward.

My observations.

Hes an arse. In his vlogs his "banter" has a real edge of " im the boss my say goes" and his acolytes all go along with it. Personally i would be punching him before the 9th.

His digs at TM got the response he would have got from me. No way would he be invited to my làunch.

On a positive, he succeeds becaue he tells us what we already know deep down. The turbulators will make no difference, we dont need fluted hosels, driver heads all respond the same, what was a 7 iron loft is now an 8 or 9. Nothing compensates for a good swing and hitting the sweet spot. Oh, and with few exceptions like spin suiting club speed, balls all go the same distance.

As for Shiels and his puppy Finch. Shiels reviews are nonsense. He always shows the stats but his analysis has nothing to do with the results. From their accuracy on the vlogs they could not carry enough balls to get round my course. Dobby the elf, or whoever he is, i would happily run over.

By golly, you're *****ly EDIT: oh I can't say a word that would describe a cactus? that's silly.

Thanks for your lucid argument and contribution to the discussion.

Can a golf club reviewer still give objective reviews while at the same time be compensated by a golf club manufacturer?

Rick Shiels, for example, couldn't do this because of the style of his channel. He frequently compares and ranks clubs from different companies against each other (e.g. Top 10 irons of 2017). If he was sponsored by, say, Ping, and then declared that the i200 was the best iron of 2017 then that would certainly raise eyebrows. By the way, I like this opinionated style which is why Rick is one of my favorite reviewers on Youtube.

On the other hand, Crossfield's style is totally different. He doesn't "rank" golf clubs or say one is better than the other.

If you look at his reviews of the recent blades (Titleist mb, Apex mb, p730, MP18, etc.) you'll note that he gave them ALL about the same favorable review. In fact, all of his reviews say about the same thing (strike is king, test for yourself, get fit) which makes him not as interesting as a reviewer in my opinion.

Given this style, it is hard to imagine that Titleist would expect he would suddenly start pumping up Titleist and dissing other OEMs.

My guess is they simply want the exposure of Mark's 230k Youtube subscribers watching him play several vlogs a week with a big bag full of Titleist cubs in the cart.

Every time he hits a good drive Lockey will probably give some sarcastic comment about how great the "Titleist Staffer" is hitting that 917D and then Crossfield will laugh. The joke is, of course, that he'll hit the 917D the same as he hits every other driver (262 yards). The benefit to Titleist will simply be all the joking around about Titleist!

Rick's latest rankings (best clubs of 2017) are based on what his subscribers voted for. It isn't his opinion. He has also said that he will do this every year going forward.

yes but HE doesnt rank clubs- that was the point ya missed!

Love Crossfields videos, Crossfield vs Colsaerts is one my faves of not only his but on all of youtube. Dont even watch the club reviews. Feel like somebody else reviewing a club matters very little to me and my swing. Happy for him and his extra income. Maybe they can hire somebody to carry the camera around for them ;)

Rick Shiels is being so petty about this right now. Just had to unsubscribe from Shiels and all of his social channels because of the blatant jealousy and pettiness on his part. Why can't people just be happy for their fellow YouTubers.

I don't know why Shiels would be Jealous of Crossfield. Shiels kills him in views. Look at the F8 driver reviews. Shiels did one for the F8 and a separate video for the F8+. 158k views between those 2 videos. Crossfield did one for both drivers and that video has 34k views.

I am sure he has had plenty of opportunities to sign on with a company as well. He probably just finds the irony in this like most of us do. And you know Crossfield would have done the same and worse if it had been Shiels that had done the same. He has already come after him multiple times on twitter with comments.

My observations.

By golly, you're *****ly EDIT: oh I can't say a word that would describe a cactus? that's silly.

Thanks for your lucid argument and contribution to the discussion.

Oh my goodness did I take away from the serious discussion we were having about a youtuber? Sorry I'll go kill myself out of shame now. Please get back to talking about how you want to run over a person with your car.

Bye then.

My observations.

Dobby the elf hahaha! Great post.

Does that mean he can not continue running his Youtube videos with analysis of different manufacturers clubs?

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

How many wins does he have on tour?

This is stupid. People here absolutely love Monte and I don't think he has any tour wins at all, but is still a very good teacher and understands the swing.

People have ot understand Crossfield and all these YT personalities are in it for the entertainment value now. You'll notice maybe 1 out of every 10 Crossfield videos are about instruction these days... Most are course vlogs.

Didn't appear to be talking about Monte.

In fairness, Crossfield has a lot of course vlogs, especially this time of year, but often released the same day as daily vlogs during golf season.

His instruction and daily vlogs are usually 5/7 days of the week (maybe less if he travels somewhere), not 10% of the time.

How many wins does he have on tour?

This is stupid. People here absolutely love Monte and I don't think he has any tour wins at all, but is still a very good teacher and understands the swing.

People have ot understand Crossfield and all these YT personalities are in it for the entertainment value now. You'll notice maybe 1 out of every 10 Crossfield videos are about instruction these days... Most are course vlogs.

The issue is why this is in the Tour Talk forum.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

MC moves on to the point where air is thinner and cleaner for sure.

His actions will fit just in between Acushnets new marketing experience that will come up.

Titleist always was related to high profile players and the distribution through a network of mainly club pro's.

This is where Acushnet is losing ground. With a million outlets, the premium balls and clubs are not exclusive. Let alone be of ultimate distinctive quality.

I sense that Titleist wants to retain or recapture the old position: golf gear for real golfers sold by golfers who truly are members of the 1% golf society so to speak.

Yet there is no main visible spokes man or change agent (rogers). My guess is that this role will be fulfilled by MC.

With a huge set of viewers and the in house production capability it could be a smart choice. And quite cheap too.

So I expect MC interviewing and practicing along with Jordan Spieth and hear him out on various shotmaking skills/techniques and find out how relevant a proper fitting is etc.

And of course he will extensively explain the variations between the various models.

There is a catch: in older clips when MC was 'more' independent he rejected shaft fitting as a favorable added value in club fitting.

I was a big Crossfield fan at one time. I liked his roots as an instructor who went to social media and also reviewed clubs. During the past 12 to 18 months though, I have certainly waned off of appreciating his reviews. IMO, he really has not had much to say constructively about anything he has reviewed other than, all mainstream clubs are pretty good and it's the Indian and not the arrow, which he has said over and over til it's tiring really. One other thing I have to agree with is that lately he's come off as pretty full of himself... there is caution to be exercised there. The same folks that made you popular can unmake you in a heart beat can't they?

His Vlogs are not my cup of tea but it seems to be what he enjoys doing so all in all this may be a good move for him; i.e., get on staff somewhere, do some Vlogs and stop reviewing clubs which by all appearances he has grown tired of doing, and which admittedly I certainly have grown tired of watching. Not much difference in them anymore is there?

All that said... there is no reason not to wish him luck in his future endeavors ..... so Good Luck Mark!

Will be interesting to see how things change, if they change, but no one here can say that if a top OEM wanted to sign them to some type of contract you would say "NO", so to call him a sell out is a bit cheap IMO. I just hope they do continue to let him do him so he can do honest reviews. He's always seemed to like Titleist's offerings so it's not some surprise to see him praise them from here on out. They knew who he was before, so if things do change, it will be all on him. I say, congrats.

We aren't golf personalities trading on 'speaking our mind' and 'being independent' and we aren't suggesting to an audience of willing subscribers that our our opinions 'can't be bought'. The vast majority of us also haven't been critical of other YouTubers for being sell outs.

Remember the big song and dance when he didn't get some TaylorMade clubs to review? Basically, the insinuation was that others got the clubs to review because they had an affiliation with the manufacturer and were more likely to provide positive reviews. At the time I thought it was quite slanderous as I think Rick Shiels, Peter Finch et al have the same integrity that Crossfield prides himself on.

Again, what opinions have you seen Titleist "buy" from him? Go ahead, I will wait.....

In the meantime... he says they will continue to let him be him. It's obvious to most of you, he doesn't even deserve that chance and that's fine if you feel that way, don't F'ing watch the guy anymore!! Haha... I for the life of me can't understand why some of you are so angry at all this...LOL This kind of move was bound to happen with one, or more, of these guys at some point. How could you not see this coming?

Personally I think the guy deserves a chance to prove he is going to do what he says he's going to do and be allowed to do, you all are free to brandish your pitchforks but it just isn't that big of a deal. And so what if he has a Titleist bag or 12 in the background? There have been others on staff that were able to do unbiased reviews, why all of a sudden Crossfield is different is just interesting to me. It just seems like a free path to now unleash the negativity some feel about him and less about the possibility of a biased review that hasn't even taken place yet.

I do not think he (or any of the YouTube golf pros) are sell outs. That's not what I said. What I said was that it is hypocritical of Crossfield to accuse others as he did during the "Taylormade club saga" given what he is doing now.

It's not a big deal. Just an observation. We've all been hypocrites at some point.

I was responding to your lack of understanding the comparison where you proceeded to insinuate his opinions have been bought, so all I did was ask for an example where Mark has pushed his opinion based on the subject contract. The rest, was more for general conversation. If the point was to point out general hypocrisy within the Youtube golf community, then the topic would not be limited to just this one person.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

yes but HE doesnt rank clubs- that was the point ya missed!

I didn't miss that point.

I was just highlighting that Rick doesn't rank them either or say that 'one club is better than the other'. His subscribers vote and he reports the results.

Not trying to turn this into a Rick v Mark discussion just adding some supplementary information which likely changes the context in which the original post can be read.

I was responding to your lack of understanding the comparison where you proceeded to insinuate his opinions have been bought, so all I did was ask for an example where Mark has pushed his opinion based on the subject contract. The rest, was more for general conversation. If the point was to point out general hypocrisy within the Youtube golf community, then the topic would not be limited to just this one person.

I didn't make that insinuation at all. What post of mine are reading? It can't be the one you quoted. For the third time, I am not saying he is a sell out!!!!!

I also wasn't pointing out 'general hypocrisy within the YouTube golf community', I was actually making a very specific point about one instance where Crossfield has been hypocritical.

Are others hypocrites at times? Quite possibly. If it makes you feel better, I will do my best to report on these if and when I see them in the future.

I don't dislike your mate Mark. I just made an observation. There is no need to get so defensive.

Thinking out loud here but shouldn't golf YouTubers get paid more? I mean they promote spending which is the backbone of a healthy economy, is it not? What I'm saying here is there are channels with millions of subscribers and viewers that are just beyond useless and stupid and are only good at dumbing down todays kids. I know because my 14 year old watches some of this garbage.

Why do these YouTubers make so much money that they end up buying houses in Beverly Hills yet they contribute absolutely nothing to society? Don't tell me these kids watch the ads because they don't. And even if they did, most of these kids don't even have a dollar to spend anyways.

However golf YouTube videos (among others) actually get people who have money excited about purchasing golf equipment and accessories. And they also promote golfing which helps keep golf courses in business. And we all know how many jobs are in the golf industry and jobs are good. Yes?

I'm not saying to not pay useless YouTubers that have serve no purpose to humanity, but perhaps pay them much less while paying certain channels more based on their contribution to a healthy economy, or even a healthy mind.

Funny how a cool science YouTuber that offers great information to young kids makes no money, yet so much of this vile trash is making a killing.

Point being that people like Mark wouldn't have to go looking for sponsorships that potentially may cause issues with some of their viewers. And as much as Mark annoys me at times, it's not right seeing a Mizuno guy playing Titleist irons.

Not sure if this post is a thought or a rant :-)

I didn't make that insinuation at all. What post of mine are reading? It can't be the one you quoted. For the third time, I am not saying he is a sell out!!!!!

I also wasn't pointing out 'general hypocrisy within the YouTube golf community', I was actually making a very specific point about one instance where Crossfield has been hypocritical.

Are others hypocrites at times? Quite possibly. If it makes you feel better, I will do my best to report on these if and when I see them in the future.

I don't dislike your mate Mark. I just made an observation. There is no need to get so defensive.

I can't believe I am doing this, but for clarity's sake... this is what I was referring to that you wrote. Maybe I am misinterpreting it, maybe not...

"I don't understand the comparison. We are mere mortals.

We aren't golf personalities trading on 'speaking our mind' and 'being independent' and we aren't suggesting to an audience of willing subscribers that our our opinions 'can't be bought'. The vast majority of us also haven't been critical of other YouTubers for being sell outs."

I'm not sure where I was making a comparison rather an observation that any of us would most likely choose the same path he did. The comparison seems to be made by you as to the difference between us and him. Do you feel his "suggestion" to his audience of willing subscribers that his opinions can't be bought, is inaccurate? I guess I assumed this is one of the reasons you refer to him as a hypocrite. Maybe I am wrong....

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

^^^^^^

WTF?

Just trying to have a friendly discussion with a fellow member.. feel free to jump in constructively if you can.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"