Crossfield on staff with Titleist (MERGED)

jonsnow

Interesting that a club reviewer is now contracted with a club manufacturer...

First thing I thought. How can you call yourself impartial whilst being paid by a company whose clubs you are reviewing. I'm sure the money is good but this will definitely hurt his reputation.

He’s a golf pro who posts YouTube videos. He needs to earn a living. I thoroughly enjoy his content and subscribe and click the like button when told to, but this isn’t in the same league as who makes a Tigers irons or Bubba dropping Volvik - you keep at it Mr C and and those who pick up on your “get a lesson and get fitted” mantra can choose a Titleist or whoever ��

speaking of making a living...

does anyone know, how much money youtubers as crossfield/shiels make from those clips? are they being payed by youtube per view or per like been given? just curious

The Youtube payment structure is complicated. In general; it rewards those with subscribers, who get people on the site for 10+minutes and create viewer engagement (likes/comments). It's why everyone's reviews/videos are getting longer and why they always want to hear your thoughts down below. Based on views etc, they (Crossfield, Shiels, Finch) are doing OK, but not well enough to have the site's revenue be their only income source.

I've seen others already say it, but the idea that his reviews will now be biased is a bit funny. Every review is the same, and that's the point. Every OEM is making pretty similar stuff, it's you and your swing plus high launch (aka power bats) isn't free, it comes with lower spin. Plan accordingly. I personally enjoy his reviews more than anyone else because of how consistent his delivery is. Shiels in particular is very upfront about the fact that some things don't look good to his eye, and his delivery of those clubs suffers for it. Yeah, your numbers suck cause your swing sucks cause you don't like the look, also the sky is blue. It ain't the club. Its you.

In that regard Crossfield is a machine. He had a great swing and can hit anything well! But that doesn’t mean Shiels is bad. I bet Bubba Watson wouldn’t play well with off the rack clubs. Not with his massive amount of tape and open faces etc....

I am a decent golfer. Around 10 handicap. I struggle to solid shots if the lie, flex, weight and looks are odd to me. My score probably won’t change much but quality of shots will.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking more about Crossfield taking this deal. Curious how much they are paying him. I find it hard to believe his other club reviews will be unbiased, especially head to head. Perhaps they will be. He seems to be more about getting fit and that all clubs are essentially the same anymore.

But to those who said, he has a family to feed. Good on you. You are correct. So happy for Mark, I have enjoyed his channel for years.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

In that regard Crossfield is a machine. He had a great swing and can hit anything well! But that doesn't mean Shiels is bad. I bet Bubba Watson wouldn't play well with off the rack clubs. Not with his massive amount of tape and open faces etc....

I am a decent golfer. Around 10 handicap. I struggle to solid shots if the lie, flex, weight and looks are odd to me. My score probably won't change much but quality of shots will.

Totally agree. Don't think Shiels is bad at all. I think people give Crossfield too much flack for being 'boring'. He's as close as you're going to get to having something like PingMan test all your clubs for you. My hunch is that Shiels (rightfully) has a pretty decent following on this site because he is nearly the full embodiment of the WRX caricature. He hits it long, he misses it left, he has picky taste, prefers 2 irons, and is a higher spinner of the ball.

They fill totally different segments in my mind. Neither is 'bad'. But the boring part of Mark's reviews is more the reality of golf slapping the viewer in the face.

I would think this means the future of his channel is going to be more course v-logs and the like versus equipment reviews.

I agree. It will be difficult for him to produce unbiased views from now on. Maybe those YouTube channels have had their day anyway?

I wonder what sort of money the deal is worth and what's in it for Titleist? I mean, I think MC is a genuine guy who has some very good teaching tips & drills, but he's hardly a poster boy & his game is a level or so down even from mini tour standards.

His reviews pale in comparison to others. Hits every driver about the same distance, same with irons he test.

That is pretty honest. If clubs are spec'ed the same, and you put virtually the same swing on them, you are going to get very similar results -- which Mark does. Mark has a very consistent swing and delivers very neutral numbers.

Bottom line useless data sometimes entertaining but not very often more likely a big yawn.

Doesn't change my opinion. Thought he was a fraud before and still do.

Fraud how?

Hoping titleist helps him do MORE giveaways and he can include his US fans. I hope it helps him get some access to more pros like Spieth. I will be super bummed out if he loses Coach Lockey. #LockeyArmy.

Does anyone know if he have a falling out with Buzza and Pickard? Miss seeing those two in his course videos.

I would think this means the future of his channel is going to be more course v-logs and the like versus equipment reviews.

I agree. It will be difficult for him to produce unbiased views from now on. Maybe those YouTube channels have had their day anyway?

I wonder what sort of money the deal is worth and what's in it for Titleist? I mean, I think MC is a genuine guy who has some very good teaching tips & drills, but he's hardly a poster boy & his game is a level or so down even from mini tour standards.

I think 223,000 subscribers watching his content regularly & seeing his Titleist bag & clubs is significant to them, even if he is not actively promoting their product on his channel. Plus he seems to have a reputation as a straight shooter rather than a shill & he's made it clear he intends to remain that way. Should be interesting to follow & see how this plays out; does Titleist think the value Mark brings to the table has benefited them a year from now? Is Mark comfortable with the way the relationship develops? I'll be very interested to watch...

Good for Mark but I worry that he'll really have to tip toe around other clubs while reviewing. He says Titleist doesn't want him to change how he reviews clubs etc, but I'm guessing he'll never post screen shots of say.. The new Rogue driver going further than his 917, etc. He'll probably just say something like, "Could I game this club?? Absolutely", but he will (probably not allowed) never say any clubs are better than Titleist , which is kind of against his whole mantra.

I know Callaway sponsored him previously, but now a whole bag of Titleist... Seems that money finally got a hold of Mark, too, as it has many of the other Youtube channels. At this point who is really left? Rick Shiels seems to bag various clubs so at least on the outside it doesn't seem that he directly takes money from OEMs to play certain clubs.

Good for Mark but I worry that he'll really have to tip toe around other clubs while reviewing. He says Titleist doesn't want him to change how he reviews clubs etc, but I'm guessing he'll never post screen shots of say.. The new Rogue driver going further than his 917, etc. He'll probably just say something like, "Could I game this club?? Absolutely",but he will (probably not allowed) never say any clubs are better than Titleist , which is kind of against his whole mantra.

I know Callaway sponsored him previously, but now a whole bag of Titleist... Seems that money finally got a hold of Mark, too, as it has many of the other Youtube channels. At this point who is really left? Rick Shiels seems to bag various clubs so at least on the outside it doesn't seem that he directly takes money from OEMs to play certain clubs.

Money gets a hold of all these people... that's why they try and get as many subs as they can, that's when the money and opportunity start rolling in. It's not just limited to the golf community on YT, it's everywhere. People are trying to make a living, better their lives doing something they love which is something we would all jump at the chance if we had the same scenario in our face.

People are acting like their puppy just got killed because he took a Titleist club deal... damn... give it some time and let it play out before the judgements about how he is going to handle his channel start rolling in..... Damn!! LOL

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I just think it's a "good for him" situation. His reviews weren't horrible, but they were mostly fluff. If anything, he demonstrates just how little difference there is between OEM's. But I like the guy and he's got a family to feed so if you're into his content (aside from club reviews), I can't see how this is a bad thing.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

For some of the posters on here that have families and are bashing Crossfield for taking a deal like this, would you not take the offer from Titleist? I can guess that 99% percent of anyone on this forum that has a family to provide for, would jump at this opportunity if it provided a better living for their family. Maybe he wasn't sold on this deal at first knowing the flak he might get but, if its a better living and better opportunities' for his family as a whole, why wouldn't he.. Just saying!

Good for Mark but I worry that he'll really have to tip toe around other clubs while reviewing. He says Titleist doesn't want him to change how he reviews clubs etc, but I'm guessing he'll never post screen shots of say.. The new Rogue driver going further than his 917, etc. He'll probably just say something like, "Could I game this club?? Absolutely",but he will (probably not allowed) never say any clubs are better than Titleist , which is kind of against his whole mantra.

Money gets a hold of all these people... that's why they try and get as many subs as they can, that's when the money and opportunity start rolling in. It's not just limited to the golf community on YT, it's everywhere. People are trying to make a living, better their lives doing something they love which is something we would all jump at the chance if we had the same scenario in our face.

People are acting like their puppy just got killed because he took a Titleist club deal... damn... give it some time and let it play out before the judgements about how he is going to handle his channel start rolling in..... Damn!! LOL

Not saying I wouldn't take the money either for my family, but let's just be clear... He's promoting Titleist now and the whole point of his channel, at least I thought it was, was unbiased reviews, especially on course reviews.

Perhaps he knew this for a while which is why he brings Dan on a lot more to provide data and feedback. Perhaps Mark will step back a bit from giving too much opinion on clubs and let Dan do a lot of that stuff.

Either way, I'm sure he will continue to do many vlogs at great courses, and provided feedback on clubs. I know I won't be watching much for his club reviews now, but I enjoy his channel anyway. I don't find RS or Petey Finch to be very enjoyable to watch, only other place I go to watch regular guys golf is Golfaholics. Arguably... Those dudes who are just Ams might even be better than these PGA youtube pros on any given day. Recently Marko shot a 69... But that's off topic a bit.

Hasn’t he had various deals in the past?

Seems at on point Callaway flew him out to Carlsbad to do some stuff with them. And h e as wearing puma stuff a while. In neither case did I notice any change in his reviews.

Regardless of how I feel about his content, based on that I’d be inclined to at least wait and see than immediately dismiss him as a sellout. As it is I’m sure people will be looking for any sign of it.

Not saying I wouldn't take the money either for my family, but let's just be clear... He's promoting Titleist now and the whole point of his channel, at least I thought it was, was unbiased reviews, especially on course reviews.

Perhaps he knew this for a while which is why he brings Dan on a lot more to provide data and feedback. Perhaps Mark will step back a bit from giving too much opinion on clubs and let Dan do a lot of that stuff.

Either way, I'm sure he will continue to do many vlogs at great courses, and provided feedback on clubs. I know I won't be watching much for his club reviews now, but I enjoy his channel anyway. I don't find RS or Petey Finch to be very enjoyable to watch, only other place I go to watch regular guys golf is Golfaholics. Arguably... Those dudes who are just Ams might even be better than these PGA youtube pros on any given day. Recently Marko shot a 69... But that's off topic a bit.

I'm just saying, I think the world will be okay... I haven't seen him necessarily "promote" Titleist, nor ANY OEM now or in the past. He may have a contract but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here and saying he will know how to navigate through the shuffle without being biased. He's just never been negative on anyone so I don't expect him to start now claiming even Titleist is better than such and such. He just happens to be on staff... Doing the opposite would be everything he is against and he doesn't seem to be the type to throw that kind of reputation away.

Just can't help but feel like some of the comments on here are a bit biased in their own way.... not saying yours, just some others in general.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

IMO Crossfield can't be sponsored by Titleist and claim to be unbiased. I can't imagine Titleist would be happy with him posting negative reviews on their clubs, so it will be interesting to see how he attempts to provide objective reviews.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

IMO Crossfield can't be sponsored by Titleist and claim to be unbiased. I can't imagine Titleist would be happy with him posting negative reviews on their clubs, so it will be interesting to see how he attempts to provide objective reviews.

Maybe this is why he changed his review format. Instead of going with numbers, he now does that "real world" testing where he just concludes that there's not much difference when you're playing on the course.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

he challenges the norm. I dont think I've heard him say anything negative about any clubs or OEM's, he just challenges for discussion and to make us think.

An example would be a TM club (think it was TM) that the marketing bumf stated a 7% improvement in dispersion and a 5% reduction in sidespin, his only comment was "how do you measure that"...........a challenge to make us think.

He has improved his youtube offering considerably in my opinion with better editing and challenging questions.

Peter Finch I find annoying now, not his fault but his delivery doesnt appeal. Rick Shiels getting that way, they both need to improve their on course game if they want to have another 'quest for the Open' in 2018- neither have any flair or creativity in their game, its driving range stuff.

Years ago when his videos were solely from his driving range and he gave unabashed opinions about equipment or swing thoughts, I thought his videos were quite good. I actually valued his opinion quite a bit when it came to clubs that I tried out.

I agree that now they have almost become unwatchable.

Its funny how some of the Youtube "personalities" that many people watched for years have now basically all gone corporate, just like tour players. Shawn Clement was a Titleist man through and through back in his beginning days when he was on his own and trying to get his Wisdom in Golf brand of schooling going, then hopped on Nike after they tossed him some money, and after Nike got out of golf clubs he's now switched to Ping.

as some have mentioned im not sure how he will be able to do club reviews anymore. I think that is the only content that I have ever watched from him which again im not sure how hes going to go forward with. PerseveringGolf brought up Rick Shiels and Peter Finch who choose not to be sponsored by a club manufacture for that reason so its odd to see someone that does similar content do the oppose and get in with a Major OEM

Good luck to him, maybe he has something up his sleeve

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

The funny thing is, I always found Crossfield to be lukewarm at best when reviewing Titleist equipment back years ago when he was doing his vids almost exclusively from his driving range. He would always find Titleist classy looking but from a pure performance standpoint he seemed to always be underwhelmed. I guess getting some $ thrown his way changes those thoughts. lol

All of the Youtube personalities seem to be drifting towards going all "corporate" like tour players. Shawn Clement was a pure Titleist man through and through in his early days of getting his Wisdom in Golf brand going, and often highlighted their equipment in his videos. Then he hopped on to Nike when they tossed him some money, and since Nike stopped making clubs he's now a PING loyalist I believe.

It wont be long and we'll be longing for the "good ol days" where these guys were giving their unabashed opinions on equipment and swing thoughts, and not worry about them being clouded by sponsorship dollars.

His reviews pale in comparison to others. Hits every driver about the same distance, same with irons he test.

That is pretty honest. If clubs are spec'ed the same, and you put virtually the same swing on them, you are going to get very similar results -- which Mark does. Mark has a very consistent swing and delivers very neutral numbers.

Bottom line useless data sometimes entertaining but not very often more likely a big yawn.

It's not useless at all. It shows that all of the manufacturers are making good equipment and in similar spec will yield similar performance. That's helpful because it allows people like me to save money I would otherwise waste for new clubs every year. Do you think it would be more useful if Mark hit it all over the face? That would certainly give you lots of variation in the numbers clubs are producing...