Crossfield on staff with Titleist (MERGED)

jonsnow

Good for him. He's one of my favorite reviewers on youtube and I personally give a lot of credence to his videos.

One of my favorites too. None of the YouTubers are completely candid, but Crossfield did seem to offer more range in his opinions. He does call BS on things some times. Some never do...

As for the Titleist arrangement, I’ll give Crossfield the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. I don’t see how this makes him a sellout any more than any touring pro who gets paid FAR more to use some golf products over others (some custom made that you can’t even buy).

I assumed Callaway was paying Crossfield to use Truvis balls, and he seems to wear UA clothes exclusively, presumably comped if not paid. All of the big name YouTubers are online to make a living, why not? How else do you think you’re getting quality YouTube content for “free?”

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will be making more videos like the Taylormade driver review he did with no club. Can't imagine any other OEM will send him anything now.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

You can hardly call him a sell out. He's never hidden his allegiances, paid or personal. Shiels and that smug faced numpty Finch were all TM for long enough, then one length happened and Finch was all over it, then the Wilson Staff F100 irons became a thing and they were in Shiels' bag...there's not been a bandwagon they wouldn't do anything to be on. Crossfield at least stands his ground. He was the only one that spoke out when the distinctly average first generation Nike Vapor drivers came out, he laughed at TM for introducing and then removing face slots in quick succession and he was the first to realise low spinning drivers could actually cost the majority of golfers a decent score.

is Crossfield on a paid staffing contract or just equipment/balls/gloves?

if its just equipment, I don't see the big deal.... every local course pro jumps on anything they can get lol

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

You can hardly call him a sell out. He's never hidden his allegiances, paid or personal. Shiels and that smug faced numpty Finch were all TM for long enough, then one length happened and Finch was all over it, then the Wilson Staff F100 irons became a thing and they were in Shiels' bag...there's not been a bandwagon they wouldn't do anything to be on. Crossfield at least stands his ground. He was the only one that spoke out when the distinctly average first generation Nike Vapor drivers came out, he laughed at TM for introducing and then removing face slots in quick succession and he was the first to realise low spinning drivers could actually cost the majority of golfers a decent score.

As long as I have watched Shiels and Finch they have never been all Taylormade. They have both played there driver from time to time and think wedges. That is it. Shiels doesn't even play fg100 and while Finch has played one lengths I wouldn't call him all over them. Any time he has been asked about them he has said he has liked them but says he doesn't think it has made a difference in his game. That hardly sounds like all over a product to me.

Your in the golfwrx equipment forum and your ragging on pro's for switching up clubs? As if you wouldn't do the same?

Good for him. I don’t think he’s a sell out. Now, if Shiels signs with Cobra, you know that’s a sell out.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

1. There is another thread started on this.

2. Wrong forum--- should be in equipment section?

As already mentioned didn't see the other thread before starting this one. Wasn't my intention to duplicate.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Especially with Randy from Fried Eggs Golf effectively dropping out due to lack of money from the YouTube efforts, congrats to Crossfield for landing the gig. I like him much better than Shiels.

This is a great point. I can see Crossfield struggling to monetize his followers and after seeing Randy falling out he may have feel the time was up for him. I appreciate Crossfield reviews, I’d be more than happy if he maintain some degree of professionalism. Again I have to refer the fallout Breed showed while defending the Pro V.

But I can foresee Crossfield visiting Golf Channel, maybe getting into the Golf Digest top teachers and even moving to the US, all sponsored by Titleist. They have the power to put him on a top facility as their delegate.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

His reviews pale in comparison to others. Hits every driver about the same distance, same with irons he test.

That is pretty honest. If clubs are spec'ed the same, and you put virtually the same swing on them, you are going to get very similar results -- which Mark does. Mark has a very consistent swing and delivers very neutral numbers.

Good for him. I don’t think he’s a sell out. Now, if Shiels signs with Cobra, you know that’s a sell out.

Why is that? He's had an F7 3 wood in the bag for over 6 months and hit the F8 and F8+ with great results.

It actually would be a logical decision. Oh.. and by the way, he loved the King Pure Wedge as well.

But, ok.. that's a sell out.?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

LOL Mark has always been saying clubs don't really matter. Most his reviews say as much. He just does it for the viewers. Even goes to say blades versus GI doesn't matter. Dude was scoring par's even with a 200 quid budget set (including bag). I do like titleist clubs though. He did review those with Dan. I think it's great he will probably get paid for this and all the power to him. Also means we might get some insider info and tours much like Me and My golf gets with TM. Maybe he might even play some holes with Adam Scott!!

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

His reviews arent anything special. He basically goes out on the course and shows that he can play well with anything and the club doesnt matter. Some of his indoor live tests with Dan were decent. I feel like he gets a little too comfortable in his videos and trys too hard to be funny. The guy Ray, regardless of how much they try to prove it, is no more a 7 than I am Tiger Woods. The guy is off the planet most of the time. He must figure his cap like most do on here. Regardless I still think his channel is the best for golf. Those guys from CA, golfaholics I believe, do some wonderful course vlogs. I wish crossfield could edit a video like they do.

That Rory guy is one of the main reasons I love his course vlogs. It seems at this point they are just trying to make fun of him straight to his face. Even when he hits a decent shot they go nuts “SHOT RAYYYY, GREAT SHOT RAYYYY, WAS THAT NOT A GOOD SHOT???”

Cracks me up.

Good for Mark I like the guy

This year was the first year Lockey worked full time for Mark.

It'll be interesting because since Dan turned up there's been a lot more Titleist talk/testing.

RE Lockey and his clubs, he's still with Callaway although he used to game a mostly Titleist bag 4 years ago.

Interesting. I did not know that even though I watch all their playing vlogs :lol:

It'll be interesting because since Dan turned up there's been a lot more Titleist talk/testing.

RE Lockey and his clubs, he's still with Callaway although he used to game a mostly Titleist bag 4 years ago.

Interesting. I did not know that even though I watch all their playing vlogs :lol:

Last 4 seasons at least he's been Callaway, thought he was Ping before, whenever before was, but don't know for sure.

Last 4 seasons at least he's been Callaway, thought he was Ping before, whenever before was, but don't know for sure.

Is Crossfield actually sponsored by Callaway? Possibly since I've seen him do some Callaway talks.

But he does use Mizuno irons and Ping hybrids.

Said this elsewhere. But my tuppence is. Anyone who genuinely believes that the bigger YouTube golf channels take nothing from the manufacturers are naive to the extremes. And anyone who rushes out to buy a golf club after watching a bloke smash 5 balls into a net is nuts!! These channels, I believe, have to pump out the “look at this new driver†vlog or the “is x driver better than y driver†to appease the desperate masses who believe a new club is the answer to all their golfing woes. my view is that these channels are for entertainment and entertaining they are, sometimes. I enjoy watching scratch golfers have a knock, I find it more relatable, as opposed to watching tour pros play, I bet you crossfield would be happy to never review another club again if it wasn’t a necessity.

I hope this deal with Titleist helps him and his family enjoy a more financially secure life. Hard working people deserve nothing less. And let’s not forget... It costs us nothing to watch any of these channels, therefore is it right for any of us to really criticise?

2011 Lockey was Titelist woods, irons with the exception of "lumpy" Mizuno driving iron. When Crossfield moved on from Mizuno they both went Ping Drivers/3 woods but Coach has never been all Ping.

Crossfield must have some agreement with Callaway mainly due to balls because he's always used whatever clubs he feels is best at that time.

As for being a fraud and a sell out!! Lol that’s hilarious. Look at the message he has been trying to get across for years...

Don’t waste your money on the latest and greatest thinking you will be a better player for it. 3 yard from a driver will not change your game.

Stop fussing over 300rpm of spin. There are endless outside agencies, both with the swing put on the club and the natural elements effecting the ball to even contemplate 300rpm making a difference

Get lessons from a pro who measures club data and that you like and understand. If you want new clubs, get fitted by the pro who teaches you.

How can this be construed as fraud or selling out!!

Great for Mark. Bit surprised he went with Titleist, but I like how he went away from Taylormade or Cally as there marketing mumbo-jambo would have made his channel as annoying as Me and My Golf.

Hope it works out the way he wants it to and I already am excited for some Jordan/Justin- Vlogs.

I watch his channel since his early beginnings and it was great watching him evolve. From a financial point this is the right way and that means that he will not "drop out" like Randy so I really am glad he did this!

Titleist my Crossfield <3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Interesting that a club reviewer is now contracted with a club manufacturer...

First thing I thought. How can you call yourself impartial whilst being paid by a company whose clubs you are reviewing. I'm sure the money is good but this will definitely hurt his reputation.

He’s a golf pro who posts YouTube videos. He needs to earn a living. I thoroughly enjoy his content and subscribe and click the like button when told to, but this isn’t in the same league as who makes a Tigers irons or Bubba dropping Volvik - you keep at it Mr C and and those who pick up on your “get a lesson and get fitted” mantra can choose a Titleist or whoever

Good move for him as an instructor, but it seems like the beginning of the end. It's only a matter of time before Callaway and Taylormade follow suit with Shiels/Finch/etc and start feeding them early prototypes for exclusive (glowing) reviews. The days of things like the $500 bag challenge and the club shootouts are probably gone. I wonder if they'll allow a shootout to be posted if their product doesn't win.

Even if Titleist's product is better, it'll be tough to maintain a perception of impartiality while being signed as a brand rep.

I don't listen to Shiels much. He can't seem to hit the ball straight with the Tour X-stiff shafts he always chooses. Crossfield's been my fave. I'll be curious as well to see if he changes. Let's get stuck in!

First thing I thought. How can you call yourself impartial whilst being paid by a company whose clubs you are reviewing. I'm sure the money is good but this will definitely hurt his reputation.

He’s a golf pro who posts YouTube videos. He needs to earn a living. I thoroughly enjoy his content and subscribe and click the like button when told to, but this isn’t in the same league as who makes a Tigers irons or Bubba dropping Volvik - you keep at it Mr C and and those who pick up on your “get a lesson and get fitted” mantra can choose a Titleist or whoever ��

speaking of making a living...

does anyone know, how much money youtubers as crossfield/shiels make from those clips? are they being payed by youtube per view or per like been given? just curious

Is Crossfield actually sponsored by Callaway? Possibly since I've seen him do some Callaway talks.

But he does use Mizuno irons and Ping hybrids.

Sorry, was talking about Lockey (who apparently as noted above may have had Titleist clubs 7 seasons past). I'd guess Mark is sponsored by Callaway at least as to the balls because of his promotion. Lockey has been dyed in the wool Callaway for a long time. Obviously, plays what he likes or what he can get a decent deal for or both.

Would imagine Lockey's relationship with Callaway won't be changing at all and doubt the arrangement with Titleist will impact Lockey's and Corssfield's relationship in any way.

Guess we should start seeing new content post-announcement pretty soon.

He’s a golf pro who posts YouTube videos. He needs to earn a living. I thoroughly enjoy his content and subscribe and click the like button when told to, but this isn’t in the same league as who makes a Tigers irons or Bubba dropping Volvik - you keep at it Mr C and and those who pick up on your “get a lesson and get fitted” mantra can choose a Titleist or whoever ��

speaking of making a living...

does anyone know, how much money youtubers as crossfield/shiels make from those clips? are they being payed by youtube per view or per like been given? just curious

The Youtube payment structure is complicated. In general; it rewards those with subscribers, who get people on the site for 10+minutes and create viewer engagement (likes/comments). It's why everyone's reviews/videos are getting longer and why they always want to hear your thoughts down below. Based on views etc, they (Crossfield, Shiels, Finch) are doing OK, but not well enough to have the site's revenue be their only income source.

I've seen others already say it, but the idea that his reviews will now be biased is a bit funny. Every review is the same, and that's the point. Every OEM is making pretty similar stuff, it's you and your swing plus high launch (aka power bats) isn't free, it comes with lower spin. Plan accordingly. I personally enjoy his reviews more than anyone else because of how consistent his delivery is. Shiels in particular is very upfront about the fact that some things don't look good to his eye, and his delivery of those clubs suffers for it. Yeah, your numbers suck cause your swing sucks cause you don't like the look, also the sky is blue. It ain't the club. Its you.