Crossfield on staff with Titleist (MERGED)

jonsnow

Well, if that's all there is to it, not seeing anything worth worrying about. Looks like Andy Carter was the only one getting snippy and Crossfield shot him down a little in a big dog vs. puppy kind of way.

I thought Crossfield came off worse in that discussion with all the deflection and the unnecessary and completely off topic 'not your mate, you're just bitter i shunned your approach to do a collaboration'.

SIM2 9.0 - Black Tie 8M3 X
16.5* TS3 - Tensei Blue 70X
SIM2 Max hyrbid  21*- Tensei Blue 70X
Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 3 130x
MG2 50, 54 and 58 hi toe
Machine Fat Back 38"
TP5X

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if that's all there is to it, not seeing anything worth worrying about. Looks like Andy Carter was the only one getting snippy and Crossfield shot him down a little in a big dog vs. puppy kind of way.

I thought Crossfield came off worse in that discussion with all the deflection and the unnecessary and completely off topic 'not your mate, you're just bitter i shunned your approach to do a collaboration'.

I don't think there is any "win win" here. Once you even start dabbling in addressing another party in a negative connotation, you're setting yourself up for failure. They both look like bitches here. But that has nothing to do with the thread. The thread is all about Crossfield joining Titleist.

I don't think there is any "win win" here. Once you even start dabbling in addressing another party in a negative connotation, you're setting yourself up for failure. They both look like bitches here. But that has nothing to do with the thread. The thread is all about Crossfield joining Titleist.

I don't disagree that they both don't cover themselves in glory here, but this is the fallout from the Titleist agreement so fits in here just fine.

SIM2 9.0 - Black Tie 8M3 X
16.5* TS3 - Tensei Blue 70X
SIM2 Max hyrbid  21*- Tensei Blue 70X
Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 3 130x
MG2 50, 54 and 58 hi toe
Machine Fat Back 38"
TP5X

Good for Mark but I worry that he'll really have to tip toe around other clubs while reviewing. He says Titleist doesn't want him to change how he reviews clubs etc, but I'm guessing he'll never post screen shots of say.. The new Rogue driver going further than his 917, etc. He'll probably just say something like, "Could I game this club?? Absolutely",but he will (probably not allowed) never say any clubs are better than Titleist , which is kind of against his whole mantra.

I know Callaway sponsored him previously, but now a whole bag of Titleist... Seems that money finally got a hold of Mark, too, as it has many of the other Youtube channels. At this point who is really left? Rick Shiels seems to bag various clubs so at least on the outside it doesn't seem that he directly takes money from OEMs to play certain clubs.

Money gets a hold of all these people... that's why they try and get as many subs as they can, that's when the money and opportunity start rolling in. It's not just limited to the golf community on YT, it's everywhere. People are trying to make a living, better their lives doing something they love which is something we would all jump at the chance if we had the same scenario in our face.

People are acting like their puppy just got killed because he took a Titleist club deal... damn... give it some time and let it play out before the judgements about how he is going to handle his channel start rolling in..... Damn!! LOL

Not saying I wouldn't take the money either for my family, but let's just be clear... He's promoting Titleist now and the whole point of his channel, at least I thought it was, was unbiased reviews, especially on course reviews.

Perhaps he knew this for a while which is why he brings Dan on a lot more to provide data and feedback. Perhaps Mark will step back a bit from giving too much opinion on clubs and let Dan do a lot of that stuff.

Either way, I'm sure he will continue to do many vlogs at great courses, and provided feedback on clubs. I know I won't be watching much for his club reviews now, but I enjoy his channel anyway. I don't find RS or Petey Finch to be very enjoyable to watch, only other place I go to watch regular guys golf is Golfaholics. Arguably... Those dudes who are just Ams might even be better than these PGA youtube pros on any given day. Recently Marko shot a 69... But that's off topic a bit.

I'm just saying, I think the world will be okay... I haven't seen him necessarily "promote" Titleist, nor ANY OEM now or in the past. He may have a contract but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here and saying he will know how to navigate through the shuffle without being biased. He's just never been negative on anyone so I don't expect him to start now claiming even Titleist is better than such and such. He just happens to be on staff... Doing the opposite would be everything he is against and he doesn't seem to be the type to throw that kind of reputation away.

Just can't help but feel like some of the comments on here are a bit biased in their own way.... not saying yours, just some others in general.

Biased?? What about Mark going off on wrxer's and the like. Saying (and laughing) in multiple videos how forums are just a bunch of people who type about golf instead of playing golf. Constantly making comments about how all we talk about are shafts and spin rates.

All with a very condescending attitude. Not that it matters because his sheep always agree and laugh along with him.

Sorry but even with all it's quirks, I'll take this place over him every day of the week.

He does come across as little dumb at times with his anti tech diatribe at times. His comments about shafts not making that much difference is just plain wrong. A different shaft can dramatically change the playing characteristics of a club. Back in the bad old days of the late 90s and early 00s swapping out stock shafts for aftermarket shafts was night and day, and Crossfield is old enough to remember those days.

At least Shiels uses clubs in gear and specs he was fitted when he does head to head comparisons, not whatever comes out of the box.

He does come across as little dumb at times with his anti tech diatribe at times. His comments about shafts not making that much difference is just plain wrong. A different shaft can dramatically change the playing characteristics of a club. Back in the bad old days of the late 90s and early 00s swapping out stock shafts for aftermarket shafts was night and day, and Crossfield is old enough to remember those days.

At least Shiels uses clubs in gear and specs he was fitted when he does head to head comparisons, not whatever comes out of the box

How do you know what spec a new all singing all dancing club should be set to if it’s never been hit by the reviewer before ? Surely if clubs and shafts are all as different as some say they are, then a individual custom fit would be necessary for every club that gets tested

I don't disagree that they both don't cover themselves in glory here, but this is the fallout from the Titleist agreement so fits in here just fine.

100%. It's not even remotely close to being off topic.

Hopefully they all calm down a bit and just get on with doing normal stuff, rather than sniping and taking things way too personally. I can see 2018 having a few more fallouts with changes coming to those youtubers mentioned in this thread.

Actually I want to see them up the anti and really start bitching at each other in 2018. Might be more entertaining than any content they have planned!

Good for Mark but I worry that he'll really have to tip toe around other clubs while reviewing. He says Titleist doesn't want him to change how he reviews clubs etc, but I'm guessing he'll never post screen shots of say.. The new Rogue driver going further than his 917, etc. He'll probably just say something like, "Could I game this club?? Absolutely",but he will (probably not allowed) never say any clubs are better than Titleist , which is kind of against his whole mantra.

I know Callaway sponsored him previously, but now a whole bag of Titleist... Seems that money finally got a hold of Mark, too, as it has many of the other Youtube channels. At this point who is really left? Rick Shiels seems to bag various clubs so at least on the outside it doesn't seem that he directly takes money from OEMs to play certain clubs.

Money gets a hold of all these people... that's why they try and get as many subs as they can, that's when the money and opportunity start rolling in. It's not just limited to the golf community on YT, it's everywhere. People are trying to make a living, better their lives doing something they love which is something we would all jump at the chance if we had the same scenario in our face.

People are acting like their puppy just got killed because he took a Titleist club deal... damn... give it some time and let it play out before the judgements about how he is going to handle his channel start rolling in..... Damn!! LOL

Not saying I wouldn't take the money either for my family, but let's just be clear... He's promoting Titleist now and the whole point of his channel, at least I thought it was, was unbiased reviews, especially on course reviews.

Perhaps he knew this for a while which is why he brings Dan on a lot more to provide data and feedback. Perhaps Mark will step back a bit from giving too much opinion on clubs and let Dan do a lot of that stuff.

Either way, I'm sure he will continue to do many vlogs at great courses, and provided feedback on clubs. I know I won't be watching much for his club reviews now, but I enjoy his channel anyway. I don't find RS or Petey Finch to be very enjoyable to watch, only other place I go to watch regular guys golf is Golfaholics. Arguably... Those dudes who are just Ams might even be better than these PGA youtube pros on any given day. Recently Marko shot a 69... But that's off topic a bit.

I'm just saying, I think the world will be okay... I haven't seen him necessarily "promote" Titleist, nor ANY OEM now or in the past. He may have a contract but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt here and saying he will know how to navigate through the shuffle without being biased. He's just never been negative on anyone so I don't expect him to start now claiming even Titleist is better than such and such. He just happens to be on staff... Doing the opposite would be everything he is against and he doesn't seem to be the type to throw that kind of reputation away.

Just can't help but feel like some of the comments on here are a bit biased in their own way.... not saying yours, just some others in general.

Biased?? What about Mark going off on wrxer's and the like. Saying (and laughing) in multiple videos how forums are just a bunch of people who type about golf instead of playing golf. Constantly making comments about how all we talk about are shafts and spin rates.

All with a very condescending attitude. Not that it matters because his sheep always agree and laugh along with him.

Sorry but even with all it's quirks, I'll take this place over him every day of the week.

At least Shiels uses clubs in gear and specs he was fitted when he does head to head comparisons, not whatever comes out of the box.

I am honestly surprised that Golf Channel hasn't taken note of how popular some of these YT'ers are and brought them on board to make a little something off of that popularity. (or perhaps they have attempted and the guys said no because didn't want to take a cut in pay?)

Finch mentioned a year ago something about GC shoot, IIRC. Did anything come out of it?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

I am honestly surprised that Golf Channel hasn't taken note of how popular some of these YT'ers are and brought them on board to make a little something off of that popularity. (or perhaps they have attempted and the guys said no because didn't want to take a cut in pay?)

Finch mentioned a year ago something about GC shoot, IIRC. Did anything come out of it?

It was an online thing and not really.

Funny how we can all see things completely differently... I agree, the thread started about Crossfield joining Titleist. It could have been filled with congratulatory comments and positive thinking moving forward but many have chosen to go the other way and use it as a platform to smash the guy for reasons they already had, at least it seems. Mark does come across a bit petty, he should be handling it better no doubt, and that may be a shortcoming of his, not handling the criticism well. At the end of the day it’s turned into a sh*tshow of speculation and hypocrisy... great entertainment though.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

Crossfield definitely came off worse, seems he wants his cake and eat it too. He got a sponsorship deal with Titleist, bragged about it and now his peers / competitors are questioning his ability to be unbiased in future reviews which is reasonable.

I'm not a big fan of TM but why would they or any manufacturer not named Titleist send free clubs to a Titleist rep that reviews clubs. Best case they get a lukewarm review on their clubs while the reviewer is wearing Titleist apparel and has his Titleist bag in the background.

I tried to give Crossfield the benefit of the doubt but it's pretty obvious from his Twitter responses that his over inflated ego is doing the talking for him. His handling of TM was in poor taste and any other manufacturer seeing his responses should question the value he can provide their brands.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

What is amazing is the number of "up and comers" who have come into the mix. I just found a channel (Cartbarnguys) that is a fellow out of Arizona who has some serious game, really does a great job on his vlogs and is a fun watch. Another group of Brits have also joined the mix - fellow by the name of Flowers and his buddies. Just an awesome watch - they use great equipment, shot even par on a tough track and there wasn't a lot of silliness - just pure golf.

My point?

If the bigger guys who started the whole thing aren't careful and continue to change too much odds are they might just lose a little of their following to these newer channels that seem to be more about the game and less about the people in the video playing it.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

What is amazing is the number of "up and comers" who have come into the mix. I just found a channel (Cartbarnguys) that is a fellow out of Arizona who has some serious game, really does a great job on his vlogs and is a fun watch. Another group of Brits have also joined the mix - fellow by the name of Flowers and his buddies. Just an awesome watch - they use great equipment, shot even par on a tough track and there wasn't a lot of silliness - just pure golf.

My point?

If the bigger guys who started the whole thing aren't careful and continue to change too much odds are they might just lose a little of their following to these newer channels that seem to be more about the game and less about the people in the video playing it.

Cartbarnguys is awesome! Been watching for awhile. You might want to look back and check out Butsy who is also a part of the channel. Pretty funny stuff. Butsy also did a vlog with Paige Spiranic too.

Crossfield definitely came off worse, seems he wants his cake and eat it too. He got a sponsorship deal with Titleist, bragged about it and now his peers / competitors are questioning his ability to be unbiased in future reviews which is reasonable.

I'm not a big fan of TM but why would they or any manufacturer not named Titleist send free clubs to a Titleist rep that reviews clubs. Best case they get a lukewarm review on their clubs while the reviewer is wearing Titleist apparel and has his Titleist bag in the background.

I tried to give Crossfield the benefit of the doubt but it's pretty obvious from his Twitter responses that his over inflated ego is doing the talking for him. His handling of TM was in poor taste and any other manufacturer seeing his responses should question the value he can provide their brands.

The way it comes across with TM is that they tried to sign him but didn’t want him doing reviews of anything other than their equipment. As a ‘punishment’ they are not going to provide equipment going forward. Seems a shame as Crossfield’s review of the P730s was the one that got me excited about them and I’ve never been a fan of TM equipment and their baloney marketing. I even thought that he might start bagging them.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

The way it comes across with TM is that they tried to sign him but didn’t want him doing reviews of anything other than their equipment. As a ‘punishment’ they are not going to provide equipment going forward. Seems a shame as Crossfield’s review of the P730s was the one that got me excited about them and I’ve never been a fan of TM equipment and their baloney marketing. I even thought that he might start bagging them.

I don't know all the details on the TM deal, my guess is they didn't offer Crossfield enough money to be "exclusive". TM may have also believed their deal with him would disqualify him in the minds of other manufacturers to provide unbiased reviews so they didn't feel it was necessary to pay him a premium for exclusivity. Whatever the negotiations were, they were between him and TM and as a professional they should have remained private. The problem with the internet and social media is that everyone wants to be controversial to gain followers.

Maybe I'm old school but I don't believe in burning bridges and it appears Crossfield has with TM.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

My point?

The guys you pointed out are a totally different market. Cartbarn channel is only going to appeal to maybe 6 year olds, the folks on that channel have a level of intelligence that is too small to be measured.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I don't know all the details on the TM deal, my guess is they didn't offer Crossfield enough money to be "exclusive". TM may have also believed their deal with him would disqualify him in the minds of other manufacturers to provide unbiased reviews so they didn't feel it was necessary to pay him a premium for exclusivity. Whatever the negotiations were, they were between him and TM and as a professional they should have remained private. The problem with the internet and social media is that everyone wants to be controversial to gain followers.

Maybe I'm old school but I don't believe in burning bridges and it appears Crossfield has with TM.

Looks like TM is burning bridges...MGS blacklisted now. I suppose as the most marketing led OEM, TM are the ones with the most to lose if their products only perform as well as others and not significantly better.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

My point?

The guys you pointed out are a totally different market. Cartbarn channel is only going to appeal to maybe 6 year olds, the folks on that channel have a level of intelligence that is too small to be measured.

Really?

Odds are I am older than you and I happen to enjoy it. Another member above commented he also enjoys it.

We're entitled to our opinions as are you. Difference is I don't feel the need to degrade your thoughts. Well other than this post-in-reply to counter your attack against those who may enjoy something that you don't.

Do yourself a favor and look up the word censorship. Get to know it. And lighten up some. CBG isn't trying to be serious and that's the whole point. He's just out there shooting the lights out in a difficult game in a laid back manner.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

My point?

Really?

Odds are I am older than you and I happen to enjoy it. Another member above commented he also enjoys it.

We're entitled to our opinions as are you. Difference is I don't feel the need to degrade your thoughts. Well other than this post-in-reply to counter your attack against those who may enjoy something that you don't.

Do yourself a favor and look up the word censorship. Get to know it. And lighten up some. CBG isn't trying to be serious and that's the whole point. He's just out there shooting the lights out in a difficult game in a laid back manner.

With an incredible smooth swing, great editing and very cool background music!! :-)

My point?

I actually just looked them up on youtube -- because of this thread -- and thought the same thing. I can watch rednecks like that any day of the week on my local munny.

My point?

I actually just looked them up on youtube -- because of this thread -- and thought the same thing. I can watch rednecks like that any day of the week on my local munny.

also just watched on youtube- dont see them as child like but man they are lucky playing in that weather on a nice course.

My point?

Was intrigued and had a quick look myself. Definitely not my thing.

I actually looked up a couple Cartbarn videos and they were surprisingly instructional. I admit, from the name I was expecting something like Duck Dynasty with golf clubs.

I didn't sample the entire range, so I can't say for certain, but I wouldn't write the channel off. (and I'm pretty judgemental when it comes to people I perceive to be stupid)