RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dewey with a 338 yard drive with his new TaylorMade M4 and then made the bird.

Very nice ??

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I think it will be interesting to see what amateurs are experiencing with twistface. Most pros are not going to be missing the sweet spot by a large margin, so I would guess that the effects of the tech will be small. I'm very curious to hear more about what happens if you hit one further off the toe or heel and how the tech responds. I wonder if it will almost be too much help, with balls starting further off line than we might like to see? I'm hoping some of this is addressed in the detailed write ups to come. It's interesting tech though!

my guess to the twistface is that it will reduce the gear affect (not sure if the terminology is correct) that we experience when we hit a ball off the toe or heel. how much it reduces that spin is the question imo. you hit a ball way off line because your face is wide open is still going to wipe across the ball and slice with twist face, just not as far offline.

I'm still working on a detailed write up for you guys. For the people that are asking if Twist Face will help amateurs, I can tell you that it probably will. I'm sure it will help different people to different degrees. YMMV However, I hit it all over the face from high toe to low heel and everywhere in between. (On purpose... Of course... For... Um... Testing purposes... Yeah. Testing.)

I tried to get all the ball marks in 1 pic. We'll see how it looks on the internet with a watermark on it.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I'm still working on a detailed write up for you guys. For the people that are asking if Twist Face will help amateurs, I can tell you that it probably will. I'm sure it will help different people to different degrees. YMMV However, I hit it all over the face from high toe to low heel and everywhere in between. (On purpose... Of course... For... Um... Testing purposes... Yeah. Testing.)

I tried to get all the ball marks in 1 pic. We'll see how it looks on the internet with a watermark on it.

That club face looks well loved. Good on you for "testing" it the way you did lol

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I think it will be interesting to see what amateurs are experiencing with twistface. Most pros are not going to be missing the sweet spot by a large margin, so I would guess that the effects of the tech will be small. I'm very curious to hear more about what happens if you hit one further off the toe or heel and how the tech responds. I wonder if it will almost be too much help, with balls starting further off line than we might like to see? I'm hoping some of this is addressed in the detailed write ups to come. It's interesting tech though!

my guess to the twistface is that it will reduce the gear affect (not sure if the terminology is correct) that we experience when we hit a ball off the toe or heel. how much it reduces that spin is the question imo. you hit a ball way off line because your face is wide open is still going to wipe across the ball and slice with twist face, just not as far offline.

My understanding of the tech is that it will have more of an impact on where the ball starts. For example, if you hit it off the toe, twistface will make it start further to the right, but the gear effect will now bring it back to the fairway or closer to it, rather than missing the fw left with standard bulge and roll.

I could be wrong, but that was how I interpreted things. Mostly just curious to hear feedback from the guys! :)

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Yep, you've got every square inch covered LOL.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

very nice indeed! whats he rolling the rock with ? looks like an original 8802?

Arnold Palmer AP30r. They were all laughing at me with that relic. Looks like something you'd grab out of a bin at putt-putt, but it works for me...lol!!!?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

My understanding of the tech is that it will have more of an impact on where the ball starts. For example, if you hit it off the toe, twistface will make it start further to the right, but the gear effect will now bring it back to the fairway or closer to it, rather than missing the fw left with standard bulge and roll.

I could be wrong, but that was how I interpreted things. Mostly just curious to hear feedback from the guys! :)

admittedly, I haven't looked or read to far into the "tech" and very possibly wrong. either way, looking forward to the detailed feedback from everyone on the trip!

Arnold Palmer AP30r. They were all laughing at me with that relic. Looks like something you'd grab out of a bin at putt-putt, but it works for me...lol!!!?

I loved the putter. But 'the pickle'? (Sorry. You're going to have to explain what that is again to GolfWRX)

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I loved the putter. But 'the pickle'? (Sorry. You're going to have to explain what that is again to GolfWRX)

Kasco K2K 33 circa 2000 with an Axivcore Tour Green shaft. Half hybrid, half fairway metal, ugly green color in an oblong shape. Looks just like a Vlasic dill but goes 230 and lands like a PW...lol!!!?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

admittedly, I haven't looked or read to far into the "tech" and very possibly wrong. either way, looking forward to the detailed feedback from everyone on the trip!

As I understand it, TaylorMade's data showed that toe strikes tend to be low trajectory with less spin and end up left of target. So the toe is pulled back a bit to add loft (for spin) and the face is a little more open, meaning the ball will end up less left than with traditional bulge and roll. Heel strikes are pretty much the opposite. They're high spinners that end up right of target, so the face has less loft in the heel to reduce traj/spin, and it's a little more closed so the ball will not end as far right.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I'm freakin' exhausted and heading to dinner now, but I just want to say that the Twist Face tech really works and will provide tangible performance benefits to a wide range of players. The practice tee is one thing, but it was very cool to see it work on the course.

I'll provide more detail in my comprehensive write-up after I get home tomorrow, but this experience was first-class all the way!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

See above!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Twist face will help the most with better players for sure

If I understand the idea behind the Twist Face, the idea is that the heel and toe areas are a little sharper angle away from the target, which will help to start heel & toe strikes start a little farther left/right of the line so it counteracts the gear effect somewhat (I’d think this would exacerbate sidespin and cancel out, but I’m no physicist). Regardless of how effective it is, it seems like this will be more helpful for higher handicappers versus Tour pros and better players who hit the sweet spot more often than not.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Well, hoping the lack of pics means you guys were really dialed in and heavily consuming adult beverages while playing for denominations on the course :beach:

Interested to read all the write ups!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Did Brian Bazzel or any of the engineers go more into the twist face tech?

I've heard different people give their thoughts, but from what I gather, simply put, twist face is done by changing the axis of the bulge clockwise (looking at the face) a number of degrees to better account for the strike pattern on the face and to reduce the side spin from off Center strikes? Is this off base??

I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I haven't seen a very good explanation that people can understand.

I would also like to hear them talk a little bit more about the technical aspects of TwistFace and how it differs from Cobra's tech, for example. I was under the impression that TwistFace is more than just tilting the axis of the bulge & roll, which is what Cobra has been doing. I know they're addressing a similar problem, but I thought they were doing it in different ways. But it would be nice to hear TM differentiate them to answer this common question.

I had the good fortune to play my round with Tim (blink), Mark and Scott from TM. While my play during this round was at the low end of my early season range, it was still fun to play golf with good people while wearing shorts in January.

Mark is TM’s R&D manager and we broached the subject of cobra’s face manipulation that people here claim TM copies from Cobra. He wanted to know more so he reached out with their competitive analysis expert.

(NOTE: I do not have a mechanical engineering or materials degree so this may not be worded perfectly but I’ll try to recapitulate what he said as accurately as possible)

What the researcher said was that Cobra did an assymetrical bulge and roll. Assymetrical bulge and roll did not twist the face, it made those Cobra drivers deliver better launch conditions for better distance NOT directional control and tighter dispersion.

TF tech is there to help minimize the toe hook and the heel wipe slice. Twist face can neutralize a 5 yd toe hook into a 1 yd fade. Also, my swing speed on the M3 was up on average 4 mph over the G400.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Well, hoping the lack of pics means you guys were really dialed in and heavily consuming adult beverages while playing for denominations on the course :beach:

We had a stud photographer with us. Some of us weren't even bothering since we knew Calvin would do it better. I'm sure he nailed it.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Just left Dallas. 2 hours 40 minutes to Philly. My plan was to do the write while flying home but I don't think I 'd do a good job of it right now.

I have a lot of stuff written down and I'm sure, with the others, we can answer most questions, but don't over think it. High toe is a 1/2 degree open and low heel 1/2 half closed. It'll work for you or it won't. I saw too many toe shots that felt awful stay in play over the past few days to question it.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

My two photos from today.

#3 at Aviara is a gorgeous par 3.

“Make it a double?” “Why not.”

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

what a day!!! Sorry that I didn't keep up with the LIVE updates like others, more details and hi-res pictures are coming I promise.

I do want to mention/brag :pimp: :sorry: about the skills challenge thou.

Scott - longest drive (310+ yards) - won a Hi-Toe wedge

Kenton - longest DJ 4 iron shot (260+ yards) - won Hi-Toe wedge

Me - straightest drive (2.6 yards off center line) - won TaylorMade putter

Me - closest to the pin from 70 yards (the only guy that hit the green unfortunately) - won TaylorMade M3/M4 fairway wood.

Congrats.

Since you were the only one playing the M2 previously, what stood out to you with the M4? Primarily interested in any dispersion improvements.

thanks

so M4 was the first head that my fitter wanted me to try due to me playing a M2, and to be honest the number just didn't stand out, M4 vs my 16' M2 same shaft and setting, spin rates dropped on average of 200 rpm, launch angle increased about 1 degree, 4 total yards gain on average. And as far as dispersion goes, it was almost identical to my M2 as well. BUT......to be fair, the sample size was extremely small, I hit about 10 shots at the most with the M4 head, so I'd still encourage you or anybody else to give it a try yourself.

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

If I understand the idea behind the Twist Face, the idea is that the heel and toe areas are a little sharper angle away from the target, which will help to start heel & toe strikes start a little farther left/right of the line so it counteracts the gear effect somewhat (I’d think this would exacerbate sidespin and cancel out, but I’m no physicist). Regardless of how effective it is, it seems like this will be more helpful for higher handicappers versus Tour pros and better players who hit the sweet spot more often than not.

In actual numbers from center, 15mm higher and 15mm toward the toe has .5* open and .5* more loft. Going the other direction, 15mm lower and 15mm toward the heel has .5* less loft and .5* closed.

TM data showed 75-80% of golfers misses on the high toe resulted in low spinning hooks and misses on the low heel resulted in high spinning fades.

Twist Face gives the diving hook more loft and spin and the heel fade less loft and spin. Everyone was very clear that this is not a miracle that will save really poor strikes and for the misses that don’t fall into these categories the results would be different.

I know several people brought up the toe fade. That miss will most likely go a touch further right, for a right handed golfer, than it otherwise would. I had two of them late in the round today, but it never got me in trouble and there was no noticeable difference to me with that miss than with the G400.

Ok, I'm going to try to post some pics of what went down 5 minutes into our fitting.

First of, Perry is just flat out cool. Not just hype.

He also gave it to me straight and called me out on a few things. I'll get more into the full experience later but wanted to share this one alone, since it was pretty neat.

He had me fat a few irons and duck hook a few drivers and then we got started. I did manage to hit some good ones eventually with my Ping G400 LST on the big minus. So then I try the M3, with I don't even know what shaft. He said I don't have what we're going to need here. Come with me.

He took me back to what I imagine the inside of a tour van would look like. And put together my shaft from scratch.

He then ripped off an engineers super spicy, core tested 440 head. I'll get some pics up of the dots and T's on the face. But they were low on 440 heads (lucky for Calvin) and some poor engineers weekend got ruined because of me. I was swinging that pup 2 minutes after the build.

edit....pics coming soon battery at 14%.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

In actual numbers from center, 15mm higher and 15mm toward the toe has .5* open and .5* more loft. Going the other direction, 15mm lower and 15mm toward the heel has .5* less loft and .5* closed.

TM data showed 75-80% of golfers misses on the high toe resulted in low spinning hooks and misses on the low heel resulted in high spinning fades.

Twist Face gives the diving hook more loft and spin and the heel fade less loft and spin. Everyone was very clear that this is not a miracle that will save really poor strikes and for the misses that don’t fall into these categories the results would be different.

I know several people brought up the toe fade. That miss will most likely go a touch further right, for a right handed golfer, than it otherwise would, I had two of them late in the round today, but it never got me in trouble and there was no noticeable difference to me with that miss than with the G400.

lol, funny you mention that. after 6 holes today I was telling Jory that instead of "twist face" what I really need is "miracle face"!!

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

High Toe. To my eye, this has the best shape of the “high toe” wedge designs out there. More compact look and a fun wedge around the greens. Look for this line to expand in the future.