RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

Just in case anyone reads this before the round...

Could you please ask the TM folks their thoughts about the years of love for the VSteel woods and if they've every had any club with the cult following that the VSteels have.

Thank you!

If you do get them on to the topic of the V-steels....

Could you ask them if they have any 9w heads lying around that don't set up closed? In fact, could you ask them to check under the sofa cushions and behind the radiators for any heads they might have missed, and send any they find to me?

Cheers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Brian Bazzel or any of the engineers go more into the twist face tech?

I've heard different people give their thoughts, but from what I gather, simply put, twist face is done by changing the axis of the bulge clockwise (looking at the face) a number of degrees to better account for the strike pattern on the face and to reduce the side spin from off Center strikes? Is this off base??

I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I haven't seen a very good explanation that people can understand.

I would also like to hear them talk a little bit more about the technical aspects of TwistFace and how it differs from Cobra's tech, for example. I was under the impression that TwistFace is more than just tilting the axis of the bulge & roll, which is what Cobra has been doing. I know they're addressing a similar problem, but I thought they were doing it in different ways. But it would be nice to hear TM differentiate them to answer this common question.

I bet a penny to a punch of salt that TM will ignore any reference to Cobra tech as TM is a new Revolution in face tech (in their mind any ways) even though we all know the truth.

I have a pet goldfish named Kenny.

I figured since we were talking about things that are irrelevant, i would let you know of a random “fact” about me too. ;)

It doesn’t really matter who came up with an idea first, it matters who executes it best. I can’t wait to post about this on my Friendster account too. You know I still post on Friendster since they came up with social media before Facebook... said no one ever in 2018.

The tech works very well for those with the predominant misses in the toe or heel. If you give it a chance with no preconceived prejudices you may be able to really help your game.

Apple is the king of this. They didn't invent the tablet but they marketed it best and made a quality product in the iPad. They didn't invent the MP3 player but for years the gold standard was the iPod.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Jodi Ewart Shadoff at the Kingdom dialing in some new gear!

For years I've had the HUGEST crush on Jodi Hyphen. Forget the clubs, I'm so jealous of you!

Easy Pelz! LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I've heard different people give their thoughts, but from what I gather, simply put, twist face is done by changing the axis of the bulge clockwise (looking at the face) a number of degrees to better account for the strike pattern on the face and to reduce the side spin from off Center strikes? Is this off base??

I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I haven't seen a very good explanation that people can understand.

I would also like to hear them talk a little bit more about the technical aspects of TwistFace and how it differs from Cobra's tech, for example. I was under the impression that TwistFace is more than just tilting the axis of the bulge & roll, which is what Cobra has been doing. I know they're addressing a similar problem, but I thought they were doing it in different ways. But it would be nice to hear TM differentiate them to answer this common question.

I bet a penny to a punch of salt that TM will ignore any reference to Cobra tech as TM is a new Revolution in face tech (in their mind any ways) even though we all know the truth.

I figured since we were talking about things that are irrelevant, i would let you know of a random “fact” about me too. ;)

It doesn’t really matter who came up with an idea first, it matters who executes it best. I can’t wait to post about this on my Friendster account too. You know I still post on Friendster since they came up with social media before Facebook... said no one ever in 2018.

The tech works very well for those with the predominant misses in the toe or heel. If you give it a chance with no preconceived prejudices you may be able to really help your game.

Apple is the king of this. They didn't invent the tablet but they marketed it best and made a quality product in the iPad. They didn't invent the MP3 player but for years the gold standard was the iPod.

I've been using this same analogy. The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, but it literally redefined the entire category and changed what we know of as a smartphone.

There's way too much "X did this first" talk in golf commentary. Execution and market timing matter. If someone did something first and it got nowhere, then it wasn't done well or they misjudged the market's readiness for it.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Could you please ask the TM folks their thoughts about the years of love for the VSteel woods and if they've every had any club with the cult following that the VSteels have.

Thank you!

Could you ask them if they have any 9w heads lying around that don't set up closed? In fact, could you ask them to check under the sofa cushions and behind the radiators for any heads they might have missed, and send any they find to me?

Cheers.

You could always bend one open

Driver: Callaway Paradigm 9.0+ Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
3 Wood: Titleist trs3 15* Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
5 Wood: Titleist trs3 18* Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Irons: Taylormade P790 4-PW Project X LZ 6.5 
Wedge: Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 DG S400  
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Thank you!

Cheers.

You could always bend one open

I was wondering about that, but is that easy to do? Wouldn't I need to pull the shaft to do that?

Looking forward to the detailed write-ups of the fittings (I understand that it may be a day or two before we start seeing those). One request for the attendees -- when do your recap, please include information about what kind of fitting (if any) you went through for the driver you brought with you. I think that's important information to put into context any gains in distance, and probably also improvements in dispersion.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Looking forward to the detailed write-ups of the fittings (I understand that it may be a day or two before we start seeing those). One request for the attendees -- when do your recap, please include information about what kind of fitting (if any) you went through for the driver you brought with you. I think that's important information to put into context any gains in distance, and probably also improvements in dispersion.

Agreed. I would especially like it for those of you who were not fit into your gamer before hand. Been putting off getting fit because I have been relocating for work and I am assuming some of that will give me the encouragement to get fit!

Looks like a perfect morning for the crew out there. Very envious as it's -8 degrees here right now. Hit em straight today with the new sticks!

TaylorMade Stealth 2 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS Black 6.5

TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100

TaylorMade P770 4 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade P7MC 5-PW Dynamic Gold X100
TaylorMade MG Raw 52 & Hi-Toe 3 Raw 58 Dynamic Gold TI S400
TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Slant Neck
Taylormade TP5x

Jodi Ewart Shadoff at the Kingdom dialing in some new gear!

For years I've had the HUGEST crush on Jodi Hyphen. Forget the clubs, I'm so jealous of you!

Easy Pelz! LOL

Come on TB...of anyone you know how long this one-sided, unrequited relationship has been going on.

This is true. I hang my head in shame... :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

A couple of Q's:

I really also want to know about a HL head as well. I love my '16 M2 HL, turn down the loft, the face opens and BAM BAM!

Will there be a copper coloured Hi Toe LW in 62*. It is hard to find a good versatile 62 nowadays, and I think that loft could be far better / more useful than 64 for a lot of guys. I want to continue with a 50-56-62 set up and this wedge may be a game changer. I like the shape of it much better than the Mickelson version .. not as "rounded"

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

All fittings you hit your gamer first to get all the numbers for a benchmark, but did all of you go back to your gamers at the end too see the real gains?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

All fittings you hit your gamer first to get all the numbers for a benchmark, but did all of you go back to your gamers at the end too see the real gains?

The gains that I saw seemed to be dispersion more than anything. That's what TM is aiming for with this release, not 10 yards longer.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Anyone mention the toe push miss ? Still haven’t heard anything on that .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Anyone mention the toe push miss ? Still haven’t heard anything on that .

That was my shot with cobra fly z plus....hmmmm

The gains that I saw seemed to be dispersion more than anything. That's what TM is aiming for with this release, not 10 yards longer.

One guy (scottaz?) mentioned a 20 yard gain. I don't think it's uncommon for people to pick up yards when they go through a fitting with a tour level fitter with every shaft and head option under the sun available, especially when they weren't fitted for their current gamer or they got fitted at a place with fitters who aren't as good and they don't have all of the exotic shaft options. I think it's important to understand how well fitted each guy was into their previous driver to evaluate their gains.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I agree from the one I saw the dispersion was better with the TM. I was just wondering if they went back to their gamer once they were all warmed up and grooving it.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I love the guy who does my fittings, but he is limited in what he can do Looking at the different swing weight and shaft lengths on the abuild sheets you realize what a once in a lifetime experience a trip to the Kingdom is. It's awesome that Taylor Made does this.

100% agreed. Don't know of anyone in the Calgary area that could give any where near this type of detailed fitting. Woods, irons, anything. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience, although I get the distinct impression some of the participants have had contact with the TM folks in the past.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

I've been using this same analogy. The iPhone wasn't the first smartphone, but it literally redefined the entire category and changed what we know of as a smartphone.

There's way too much "X did this first" talk in golf commentary. Execution and market timing matter. If someone did something first and it got nowhere, then it wasn't done well or they misjudged the market's readiness for it.

Had to remove some quotes to post this. The book "Dogfight: How Apple and Google Went to War and Started a Revolution" by Fred Vogeistein talks about how marketing changed things in our world and is a fantastic read, should anybody have the time.

Related to the thread, I'm very jealous of those who got to go and hope you all play well today.

I love the guy who does my fittings, but he is limited in what he can do Looking at the different swing weight and shaft lengths on the abuild sheets you realize what a once in a lifetime experience a trip to the Kingdom is. It's awesome that Taylor Made does this.

100% agreed. Don't know of anyone in the Calgary area that could give any where near this type of detailed fitting. Woods, irons, anything. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience, although I get the distinct impression some of the participants have had contact with the TM folks in the past.

As a fellow Calgary boy, we're definitely hurting on the fitting front. Wish I could possibly get this experience. Closest we have is maybe Ted and Dave Golf or a Trackman outdoor RCGA fitting.

what a day!!! Sorry that I didn't keep up with the LIVE updates like others, more details and hi-res pictures are coming I promise.

I do want to mention/brag :pimp: :sorry: about the skills challenge thou.

Scott - longest drive (310+ yards) - won a Hi-Toe wedge

Kenton - longest DJ 4 iron shot (260+ yards) - won Hi-Toe wedge

Me - straightest drive (2.6 yards off center line) - won TaylorMade putter

Me - closest to the pin from 70 yards (the only guy that hit the green unfortunately) - won TaylorMade M3/M4 fairway wood.

Congrats.

Since you were the only one playing the M2 previously, what stood out to you with the M4? Primarily interested in any dispersion improvements.

thanks

We had a little skills competition including long drive, straightest drive, and CTP with a wedge from 71 yards. Let me tell you, Scott and Kenton (Ron Swanson) bring some serious Tour level heat! I'm talking ball speeds well into the 170s.

We also each got 2 swings with an M4 4 iron that was built to spec (X100) for Dustin Johnson. We saw a video of DJ smoking that thing over 290 yards. It's no joke, I hit 2 perfect shots with it that landed within a yard of each other 239 & 240 yards! Kenton and Scott hit it over 260. Just SICK!

Off the deck or on a tee?

Any chance TM will offer a high loft version of the M3 or M4 Driver?

12* on the Taylormade website now. So yes. If you look at my signature I have HL clubs everywhere. Cant wait to hit the M4.

Taylormade Stealth 2 12* Autoflex 505
Taylormade Stealth HD 3 5 7 woods Speeder

Taylormade Stealth HD 5-PW Ventus stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9 46 54 58
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5
Titleist ProV1x.