2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

Did Brian Bazzel or any of the engineers go more into the twist face tech?

I've heard different people give their thoughts, but from what I gather, simply put, twist face is done by changing the axis of the bulge clockwise (looking at the face) a number of degrees to better account for the strike pattern on the face and to reduce the side spin from off Center strikes? Is this off base??

I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I haven't seen a very good explanation that people can understand.

I would also like to hear them talk a little bit more about the technical aspects of TwistFace and how it differs from Cobra's tech, for example. I was under the impression that TwistFace is more than just tilting the axis of the bulge & roll, which is what Cobra has been doing. I know they're addressing a similar problem, but I thought they were doing it in different ways. But it would be nice to hear TM differentiate them to answer this common question.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys fit to the 440’s. Was it based more on performance or looks over the standard M3? Play well today guys! Great stuff keep it coming.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

So will we see a new TP5 or will the new price stay to compete with Callaway and Srixon ball pricing?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

So I did bring up the lie angle being "upright" for this year's offering, Brian explained to us that there are two different measuring point, the lie angle is exact the same as 2017's, but there was sort of "miscommunication " between an "engineer" and "marketing people". Brian is actually thinking about changing those info on the website to less the confusion. And from what I saw and hit today, both M3 and M4 fairways looks the same from the lie angle stand point!

I was fitted with M3 440 today, but with the recent launch and west coast swing coming up they actually ran out of 440 heads for me. So tomorrow I'll actually be playing with a 460 head. But no worries, they told me that they will also send me a 440 head as soon as they get more next week!! :)

Jory sent me a PM and you are supposed to send me that 460 head when the 440 arrives :dntknw:

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I've heard different people give their thoughts, but from what I gather, simply put, twist face is done by changing the axis of the bulge clockwise (looking at the face) a number of degrees to better account for the strike pattern on the face and to reduce the side spin from off Center strikes? Is this off base??

I'm not looking for trade secrets, but I haven't seen a very good explanation that people can understand.

I would also like to hear them talk a little bit more about the technical aspects of TwistFace and how it differs from Cobra's tech, for example. I was under the impression that TwistFace is more than just tilting the axis of the bulge & roll, which is what Cobra has been doing. I know they're addressing a similar problem, but I thought they were doing it in different ways. But it would be nice to hear TM differentiate them to answer this common question.

I bet a penny to a punch of salt that TM will ignore any reference to Cobra tech as TM is a new Revolution in face tech (in their mind any ways) even though we all know the truth.

So I did bring up the lie angle being "upright" for this year's offering, Brian explained to us that there are two different measuring point, the lie angle is exact the same as 2017's, but there was sort of "miscommunication " between an "engineer" and "marketing people". Brian is actually thinking about changing those info on the website to less the confusion. And from what I saw and hit today, both M3 and M4 fairways looks the same from the lie angle stand point!

I was fitted with M3 440 today, but with the recent launch and west coast swing coming up they actually ran out of 440 heads for me. So tomorrow I'll actually be playing with a 460 head. But no worries, they told me that they will also send me a 440 head as soon as they get more next week!! :)

Jory sent me a PM and you are supposed to send me that 460 head when the 440 arrives :dntknw:

Seems legit... :taunt:

I have always had a problem with the old toe hit snap hooks. I guess that is why the best two drivers for me that I have tried are the Cobra LTD and the Callaway 816 DBD with the gravity core out on the toe.

I have tried TM drivers and fairways in the past, but the drivers ever once in awhile gave me that nasty toe hook. I have yet to see a fariway wood on this planet that doesn't setup closed to my eye. I had a TM Tour that was measured at almost 2* open that looked closed.

My TM UDI will probably remain in my bag forever.

Great info from you guys, with my big hook toe miss these new drivers could be a big win for me.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I really wanted to stay out drinking and eat giant hamburgers but drew the short straw and was forced to come back and give more updates for the group, while they live it up. :censored2:

Tonight we ate another great meal together and had a blast. They've been great to us this entire trip. First class.

We saw some really cool things during our tour, which you'll see more of shortly. We even saw where they make Tiger's Miura irons. :taunt: Actually, they were pretty tight lipped about his build.

I did hit the M3 fw and it's really good. Felt, looked and performed great. I never did get to test the hybrid. I started with the UDI it'll be filling that space in the bag. Just fits. They will only come in 17 degrees, when released.

None of us are in great playing form right now but I got to watch everyone for a bit and was really impressed. I think we represent the site as a whole and those following should be able to relate with someone here.

One thing I mentioned to Jory our first night was I don't do well with the TP5x. I loved the 14 and 16 tpx but found the newer x ball flight too high. I know most love this ball and also know this is probably a me thing. I would have liked to had tried Tp5 during my fitting today. I'll try that tomorrow during our round.

We tee off early and then need to go straight to the airport, so I'm not sure how much we'll be able to post but we'll try to get some pics out. I'm playing with Kenton at 740 and I'm going to ride that horse. My man has a great swing.

Now I'm going to focus on rolling the knots in my back out, pack and get some sleep.

Good luck today - wish we all could have placed bets on the teams to start some fun action!

all the wood talk is great, more excited for the member that is getting a raw milled wedge set. I have a wedge set on back order from true spec golf for over a month now. Even more disappointing is that TM is not offering a 50* bronze option.Would have enjoyed a matching bronze set or better a raw set.

Titleist Tsr2 9* / TPT Power 17Lo
Titleist Tsr3 15* / Ventus OG blue 7s

Callaway UW 21* / Fujikura motore VC 8s 
Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW / C taper r 110
Titleist SM9 raw 50.54.58 LZ 5.5
Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

The guys fit to the 440’s. Was it based more on performance or looks over the standard M3? Play well today guys! Great stuff keep it coming.

I do prefer an open look but there wasn't a big difference between them. We a hard time telling the difference between the D version and the regular 460.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I bet a penny to a punch of salt that TM will ignore any reference to Cobra tech as TM is a new Revolution in face tech (in their mind any ways) even though we all know the truth.

Nope, discussed at length. Not new in any way. Just done right, in their opinion. Brian said you'll likely see the twist face in all of their woods for the next 10 years.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Any talk of the twist face coming to fws? I know the face really isn't large enough to take advantage of it the same way a driver can but the toe hook in a fw is an issue for me so anything that can help, I'd be open to.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Day 2:

9.5* Taylor Made M4 turned up to high setting, cut down 1” to play at 44.5”. Shaft is Atmos 5S.

Details to come.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Any talk of the twist face coming to fws? I know the face really isn't large enough to take advantage of it the same way a driver can but the toe hook in a fw is an issue for me so anything that can help, I'd be open to.

Yes, they just didn’t want to rush it.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

One thing I mentioned to Jory our first night was I don't do well with the TP5x. I loved the 14 and 16 tpx but found the newer x ball flight too high. I know most love this ball and also know this is probably a me thing. I would have liked to had tried Tp5 during my fitting today. I'll try that tomorrow during our round.

I'm kind of the same way about the TP5x compared to the Tour Preferred X. On full shots, it's pretty much fine -- it is about a half club longer, because it spins less than the Tour Preferred X, and it also rolls out a little bit on iron shots (most of the Pro V1x equivalents I play stop pretty much where they land, unless the greens are really firm). All of that is fine, but the problem I have is that it doesn't spin enough on short game shots. That's a deal breaker for me, and some extra distance with my irons (maybe a few yards with the driver -- I didn't see much of a difference in my limited testing) doesn't make up for the loss in short game control. I've really liked TM golf balls for years, going back to the TP Red, and the TP5x is the first one that's been a miss for me.

I'm curious to hear your experience playing with the regular TP5 today. I had been thinking that might be an option, but since I have a bunch of Tour Preferred X and Bridgestone B330 stocked up, I haven't felt the need to do that experiment.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Yes, they just didn’t want to rush it.

Cool, thanks! I was hoping that's what they would say.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I have a pet goldfish named Kenny.

I figured since we were talking about things that are irrelevant, i would let you know of a random “fact” about me too. ;)

It doesn’t really matter who came up with an idea first, it matters who executes it best. I can’t wait to post about this on my Friendster account too. You know I still post on Friendster since they came up with social media before Facebook... said no one ever in 2018.

The tech works very well for those with the predominant misses in the toe or heel. If you give it a chance with no preconceived prejudices you may be able to really help your game.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Looks like another great trip with another set of great guys! Jealous as always!

There hasn't really been much talk comparing the performance of the new M3/4 vs their old gamer. I saw one trackman comparison that seemed pretty similar against their G400, but am curious if anyone can comment on the differences/improvements they noticed by moving to the TM. I'm also interested in hearing how everyone thought about them after playing a round with them. A new driver is definitely on my list of new clubs this year...

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Anyone get to test the fws? If so how were they?

Fairways were solid. If you liked them last year, you will love these. I hit the M4 Tour and the M3. M3 was the best fit numbers wise and fit my eye.

Stoked for you getting the call on this trip! Lotta good WRX'ers on this one. Was the Twist Face noticeably straighter on misses and overall? See you're playing the G400LST which is very straight in it's own right - wondering your initial thoughts comparing the two.

Today, it honestly was. I'm in the DC area, so I'm not exactly in mid-season form, but I was pretty happy with my swing considering. I was getting great numbers with both on solid strikes, within 1 yard total distance, but the misses with the M4 were more playable. We were aiming at a 20-ish yard wide "fairway" and I wouldn't have been punching out with the M4.

Interesting. My local Rep has a M4 on the way for me to tinker with. I was not expecting distance to improve much or any over my current 17 M2 but would love a little help in dispersion when this Indian is sending my ball all over the course. :p

You got that right :D

Looking forward to the write ups as well. OEM's like TM and Callaway do it right for members.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

LIked last years thread much better.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

Just in case anyone reads this before the round...

Could you please ask the TM folks their thoughts about the years of love for the VSteel woods and if they've every had any club with the cult following that the VSteels have.

Thank you!

Retro V steel release exact same headshape and everything with new tech! Would sell out immediate