2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I think will happen. You get back to your home course and find more fairways. You shot lower scores. Distance is good but accuracy is better.

No doubt, plus a little extra confidence to go ahead and swing at it knowing you can keep it in play can make a big difference!

Did you watch the Shiels full review video yet?

Just watched the Shiels video review of the M3. It wasn't nearly as negative as some have led to believe, though he does have his doubts about the Twist Face tech suiting his game.

It's been acknowledged that Twist Face won't help, and will actually exaggerate the miss of an an open faced toe strike with an in-to-out path, so no surprise Rick saw this in his findings. TM acknowledged this, but their data indicates that the vast majority of golfers (~80%) don't miss this way regularly. Rick hit quite a few really nice drives with the M3 and seemed to curve it less to the left than the sweeping draws he so often hits. That's what Twist Face is supposed to do!

I'm not sure what he was looking for on those slight toe draws? Does he really want to curve it that much? Most still turned over, but slightly more subtly than expected...that's the point of Twist Face. To me this means left rough avoidance...less fear of missing left, and that's a good thing in my book! I think toe hookers are going to love these drivers; they'll just need to trust that they won't need to aim so far right!

I think folks should understand that Twist Face is not going to be a panacea. I've found that my most common miss, an over-draw struck slightly off the toe, stays in the air longer without nose-diving left as much as expected. Heel strikes seem to come off very hot with surprisingly good distance, but for me the flight correction was less discernable. Again, heel strikes are much less common for me.

This is all about getting better on-course results out of your most common mis-hits, and I think it has merit. If you're swinging 4 degrees out to right field (with face open to your path) and hitting open faced toe-wipes you should probably be spending your money on lessons and range time instead of a new driver...lol!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Is that porta potty there all the time - my wife would go ballistic looking at that

Looks more like a garbage can or supply chest...

TM Burner 10.5° Stiff
TM AeroBurner Mini Driver 14° Stiff
TM Burner Superfast 2.0 15° Stiff
TM Rescue Dual 19° Stiff
TM RSi TP UDI 3 iron Stiff
TM rac lt irons 4-AW Stiff
TM rac 56° 14 bounce, 60° 7 bounce
TM Daddy Long Legs Counterbalance 38"

Seems to me if Shiels is relying on a toe strike to draw the ball he may not be the best reviewer to attest to the pros and cons of this club

My reaction was very similar. I'm sorry...you hit a draw by intentionally toe-hooking it?

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Seems to me if Shiels is relying on a toe strike to draw the ball he may not be the best reviewer to attest to the pros and cons of this club

My reaction was very similar. I'm sorry...you hit a draw by intentionally toe-hooking it?

Agree. I experience the toe-hook more often then I would like to, and never intentionally do it. I also have not heard of internationally hitting toe to make it hook. Hitting slightly above center favoring the toe side is different then hitting so far on the toe to create a draw-hook.

I prefer the slightly high center favoring the toe.... = baby draw bomb.

That’s what I think will happen. You get back to your home course and find more fairways. You shot lower scores. Distance is good but accuracy is better.

No doubt, plus a little extra confidence to go ahead and swing at it knowing you can keep it in play can make a big difference!

Just watched the Shiels video review of the M3. It wasn't nearly as negative as some have led to believe, though he does have his doubts about the Twist Face tech suiting his game.

It's been acknowledged that Twist Face won't help, and will actually exaggerate the miss of an an open faced toe strike with an in-to-out path, so no surprise Rick saw this in his findings. TM acknowledged this, but their data indicates that the vast majority of golfers (~80%) don't miss this way regularly. Rick hit quite a few really nice drives with the M3 and seemed to curve it less to the left than the sweeping draws he so often hits. That's what Twist Face is supposed to do!

I'm not sure what he was looking for on those slight toe draws? Does he really want to curve it that much? Most still turned over, but slightly more subtly than expected...that's the point of Twist Face. To me this means left rough avoidance...less fear of missing left, and that's a good thing in my book! I think toe hookers are going to love these drivers; they'll just need to trust that they won't need to aim so far right!

I think folks should understand that Twist Face is not going to be a panacea. I've found that my most common miss, an over-draw struck slightly off the toe, stays in the air longer without nose-diving left as much as expected. Heel strikes seem to come off very hot with surprisingly good distance, but for me the flight correction was less discernable. Again, heel strikes are much less common for me.

This is all about getting better on-course results out of your most common mis-hits, and I think it has merit. If you're swinging 4 degrees out to right field and hitting open faced toe-wipes you should probably be spending your money on lessons and range time instead of a new driver...lol!?

In your post you state it’s know that open face, in to out toes misses are a bad miss this club, then you say you think toe hookers are going to love this club. Can you explain this?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

That’s what I think will happen. You get back to your home course and find more fairways. You shot lower scores. Distance is good but accuracy is better.

This is all about getting better on-course results out of your most common mis-hits, and I think it has merit. If you're swinging 4 degrees out to right field and hitting open faced toe-wipes you should probably be spending your money on lessons and range time instead of a new driver...lol!?

In your post you state it’s know that open face, in to out toes misses are a bad miss this club, then you say you think toe hookers are going to love this club. Can you explain this?

In-to-out path with face open to that path is going to produce an open-faced tuna melt. Twist Face won't help that shot.

In-to-out path with face slightly closed TO PATH is how most players produce draws. If too closed to path and off the toe it will produce over-draws and hooks (very common for guys who play a draw). Twist Face will help these strikes stay straighter and remain in the air longer without nose-diving left as much.

Edit to add that I should have been clearer in my previous post. ☺

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Got it. Would agree that a push slice won’t work, same as every other driver so I was confused on pointing it out. I’m 5-6* in to out and play a pretty big draw with a toe miss, the guys I’ve talked to locally speak highly of the tech. We’ll see! I wish these had been out to high end fitters, waiting sucks.

Got it. Would agree that a push slice won't work, same as every other driver so I was confused on pointing it out. I'm 5-6* in to out and play a pretty big draw with a toe miss, the guys I've talked to locally speak highly of the tech. We'll see! I wish these had been out to high end fitters, waiting sucks.

So yesterday I played with a guy whose stock tee shot is a huge sweeping draw. He's a real good player, having won the NJ winter league (pros included) multiple times as well as other stuff. He hit my new M4 and couldn't believe how much less he drew/hooked it with his same swing. Would definitely need to adjust his aiming lines...

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Got it. Would agree that a push slice won't work, same as every other driver so I was confused on pointing it out. I'm 5-6* in to out and play a pretty big draw with a toe miss, the guys I've talked to locally speak highly of the tech. We'll see! I wish these had been out to high end fitters, waiting sucks.

So yesterday I played with a guy whose stock tee shot is a huge sweeping draw. He's a real good player, having won the NJ winter league (pros included) multiple times as well as other stuff. He hit my new M4 and couldn't believe how much less he drew/hooked it with his same swing. Would definitely need to adjust his aiming lines...

Thankfully the g400 did the same for me last year, but I’m always tinkering.

A few of the guys are playing today (lucky!) and I'm sure they'll give some updates. I think Dewey has played every day since we left.

My course should be open later this week. But our range was open today. I was hitting the ball in my normal miss spot for the most part and the results were great. Loving what I'm seeing so far. I hit one damn near stupid mark level, way off the toe. That's usually a high hook. It ended up being very playable.

I tried going up to 9* for about 10 swings and found the ball flight to be surprisingly high.

Hit the Twist Face, literally :tongue: I hate to admit it, but I have a miss exactly there.. usually very playable with the 917, with the Epic, low nose diver left, usually really bad. How's the new M3 handle that shot? Can you compare the M3 440 to the M1 440? Loved the M1 440 from address, just wasn't very playable and not much longer than the M1 460.

Interested to hear how you guys like the new drivers on the course.

If I keep this up, I'll only have Twist F left up there... :bigwhack:

That ball with my SZ would have been VERY unplayable. The few I hit up there were 15-20 yards high draws. The major difference is it starts off straighter and gets up instead of nose diving.

Not sure about length just yet but more forgiving than the M1 440 for sure. The M1 440 punished me with anything low on the face. The M3 likes it down there. I'm hitting the M3 at 7.5* higher than I did the M1 440 at 9.5*. Completely different animals IMO.

"Twist F" isn't bad. I fully expect mine to say "wist Face" after a couple of range sessions.

Played the M4 on course yesterday for the first time since the trip. I started with the setup I was fit for, M4 9.5 AD BB 7x, playing 45 1/4" and tipped 1" in the upright setting, but I brought my T1100 65 6.5 as well. I want to preface this with a note that I was unable to warmup prior to the round, so the first 4-5 holes did not provide the most accurate data. That being said, here are my thoughts.

I started the day with the AD BB and hit driver on the first 4 holes, when I probably should have hit it once. I hit one solid drive and missed left with the other 3, one going OB on a par 5. Left is my typical miss when I haven't been playing/not warmed up or I'm swinging poorly. All of this was on display through the first few holes and no amount of twistface was going to save the bad swings. I can't say if there was any reduction in the right to left movement. I had some better swings on 5 & 6, par 3 and a no driver par 4. #7 is a straight away par 4, but slopes pretty hard from right to left, so not the hole for what we'll call the hard draw I had been hitting. I threw in the T1100 just to change things up and hit a frozen rope up the right hand side. It launched lower than the AD BB, which was too be expected, but the direction was much improved. The T1100 just feels tighter, and I prefer that. The next time I got to hit driver was on #13. The tee shot is straight away, slightly uphill with water if you go way left. I hit a ball with both the AD BB and the T1100, but good results up the right hand side with the BB a slightly lower strike location and it came up maybe 10 yards short and 5 yards left of the T1100. With my previous gamer, 2017 M1, I would have expected both of these shots, given the strike location, to finish more in the center to left center of the fairway, so there may have been some twist face action there. I left the T1100 for the next hole, elevated tee par 4 with water left. I struck it slightly high and slightly out on the toe and thought immediately it was going in the water. While it did end up left and in the rough, it skirted the water by a few yards and I was able to hit wedge to the green and have an easy two putt par. Now, there is no way to know with certainty what the result would have been with that exact strike if I had been playing another head, but I know there was less right to left movement than I expected. I hit both shafts again on #16, the last par 5 with a very uphill teeshot, and I hit both shots really well and expected the same result from the other head to head hole. When I got to the balls, I could have thrown a beach towel over them both, so I doubt there is any kind of distance to be gained by either shaft. #17 was the last driver hole and I hit a great shot, again up the right hand side of the fairway, and it just stayed there falling slightly left.

Overall impressions after getting the M4 on a course I'm familiar with are very positive. The first 4 holes were my fault and those shots would have missed left with any driver. The shot that sticks out to me was the tee shot on #14. Dropping that in the water and looking at bogey or worse is a round killer. Honestly, that's all I can reasonably expect from the tech. It's not a miracle that is turning a hard diving hook into a high fade, but if it reigns in a 20 yard hook into a 10 yard draw once or twice a round, that will undoubtedly save me some strokes.

Looking back on my Trackman numbers from my fitting, not a single shot finished to the right of center. So I'm surprised the recommended loft sleeve setting was set to upright. According to the TM site, the standard sleeve setting is a lie angle of 56*, with the upright setting at 60*. The T1100 is at standard and I could tell a difference vs. the AD BB in the upright setting. Visually, it makes me think it's going to go more left with the BB. I'm going to tinker a little more with the settings and because I have a problem and can't leave well enough alone, I have a AD TP 7x coming to test. I'm considering changing playing length as well. I can't remember ever gaming a driver this long. I usually play my driver just under 45" and I think that could tighten up my strike pattern a bit too.

TL;DR - I'm going to play with the settings/shaft set up a little, but the M4 looks great and is as long as anything I've played. At this point in testing, I feel it can potentially save me some strokes by reigning in an overdraw once or twice a round.

Looking back on my Trackman numbers from my fitting, not a single shot finished to the right of center. So I'm surprised the recommended loft sleeve setting was set to upright. According to the TM site, the standard sleeve setting is a lie angle of 56*, with the upright setting at 60*.

Never understood why TM posts those numbers? My last two tour issue heads had a 59ish lie angle in the "Standard" setting.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the AD TP. Did you go with the 7X or TX?

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Stealth+ 19* - Atmos Red 8X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7MC 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

There’s a hole at my home course that’s tricky, I always make my worst driver swing of the day and hook it left into a swale. Same F’in spot, every round. Will be the perfect hole to test this driver out on!

If you're like me you need to trust it and keep turning/rotating hard. Any pivot stall which we all tend to do when we're trying to steer it and the arms pass the body and it's hooksville.

I too am looking forward to trying the M4 on my home course. I did not miss a single drive left yesterday which was very encouraging!

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Looking back on my Trackman numbers from my fitting, not a single shot finished to the right of center. So I'm surprised the recommended loft sleeve setting was set to upright. According to the TM site, the standard sleeve setting is a lie angle of 56*, with the upright setting at 60*.

Never understood why TM posts those numbers? My last two tour issue heads had a 59ish lie angle in the "Standard" setting.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the AD TP. Did you go with the 7X or TX?

Yeah, I'm sure those are "intended" lie angles, but either way, the sleeve seems to be designed to go 4* upright from normal lie angle in that setting.

I went AD TP 7TX

Agree. I experience the toe-hook more often then I would like to, and never intentionally do it. I also have not heard of internationally hitting toe to make it hook. Hitting slightly above center favoring the toe side is different then hitting so far on the toe to create a draw-hook.

I prefer the slightly high center favoring the toe.... = baby draw bomb.

If you go to the Rick Shiels New M3 Driver Test thread you will see that there are a lot of people that rely on the toe hook...

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

How's this supposed to work for a 25 handicap who's path, face angle, and contact spot change by the hole? Will it save some of their shots while making others worse. For someone who hits it out 3/4 times a round it almost seems like these would less than ideal.

It will help the over the top, outside-to-in open face to path heel slicer, and it will help the swing to right field, face closed to path toe-draw/hooker. The help is noticeable but subtle with Twist Face improving direction as well as launch and spin characteristics. As discussed, there are certain miss-hits that will be slightly exaggerated by Twist Face, but these are much less common according to TM's extensive research of player of varying abilities.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Trackman's new Impact Offset might help show any value in TwistFace:

Here, DJ is trying to hit a low cut (-3.6 path, -1 face) but catching it 11mm off the toe and 4mm low, resulting in 7'5" left curve.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I was able to play at my club today. It was about 40* sunny and not much wind. I usually hit driver about 8-9 times a round there, but like the round in Cali, hit it on all par 4's and 5's. 3-4 balls some holes, hit 8 drives on 18.

One thought I've had from the start is this set up feels heavy and I feel a bit sluggish with it. I've been considering taking 1/2" off but wanted to play a few rounds before making any changes.

I hit the open face toe 3 times. Two of them started down the right side of the fw and moved about 8 yards further right. I didn't lose as much distance on these as I thought I would, even though they were higher than normal and felt weak. The other was one fairway over. I was really late on that one and it was my worst shot of the day.

I've said it before but today confirmed it. I've been hitting it low on the face more than I usually do and the M3 seems to like it. I had at least 4 drives well below center that jumped off pretty well, got out there and left me in great shape.

I tend to struggle off the tee with long, uphill holes. That's when my snap hook shows up. We have 4 of these. When I remember to set up with my back foot a few inches further back, I avoid this round killing miss. But I hit three of these today. Two of them on 18, where I hit 8 drives. It's difficult to quantify how much help the twist face provides. I can say, from years of experience with this miss on this course, that those shots today went further and higher than normal. Two of the three were in much better shape than I would expect. The worst swing of the three hit a tree and came straight back. It's early still but I believe there is help for that shot with twist face.

I didn't catch any low heel, which is normal.

Our 5th hole is my least favorite. And our hardest hole IMO. It's a hard dog leg right and plays like an upside down L. Trees guard the right side and OB is straight away, about 250-280 yards out, depending on your line. During the summer I try to go over the trees. It's a poke but it takes OB out for me. To get over those trees during the winter is tough. I managed to do it today. That's a good test for me, distance wise, for driver. Especially in colder conditions.

17 is similar, except it's a hard dog leg left. I played the shorter tees here so I could take a shot at the green. The back tees don't allow driver here. I hit my best drive of the day. I've played that shot a lot of times but never had an eagle putt that close. :)

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Nice drive there on #17! Did you make the eagle putt?

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Nice drive there on #17! Did you make the eagle putt?

Nope! LOL.

Playing tomorrow in warmer conditions and hopefully Sunday. More updates coming soon.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

i'll be the first to admit... i already bought a new shaft for mine...

(too good of a deal not to try it)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

How’s this supposed to work for a 25 handicap who’s path, face angle, and contact spot change by the hole? Will it save some of their shots while making others worse. For someone who hits it out 3/4 times a round it almost seems like these would less than ideal.

Most high handicap players do have a consistent miss. They think they don’t due to the inconsistent contact but they usually do and it’s usually over the top.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Sat 50’s with 100% chance of rain in the forecast. Here’s looking at range time Sat and hope to get out Sunday.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

i'll be the first to admit... i already bought a new shaft for mine...

(too good of a deal not to try it)

I think you were the first to admit it because you’re the first to do it. :)

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400