RECAPS: The TaylorMade #TwistFaceExperience. 7 GolfWRX members visit The Kingdom for an exclusive M3

Tons of M4's from the with tour pics starting to come out

M4 seemed to be the head of choice from the TaylorMade staff we played with as well. Although I heard more than a few wanting in play around with a M3 440 or carrying one in their bag as a second driver to mess with.

I played with a TM product development engineer named Chris on Friday who was clearly a very good player. He was gaming an M4, but had an M3 440 in the bag as well. On the back 9 he had pulled out the M3 440 once or twice. When we got to 16 I didn't hit a great drive, a slightly off center strike that faded to the right side of the fairway, and asked to hit a second ball with his M3 440. Of course I wasn't fit for the driver, but we had commented a couple times during the round about our swings being similar, and I hit a tight draw about as good as I can hit one. When we got down in the fairway both balls were in great shape with the M3 440 about 8 or so yards longer and in the left middle of the fairway. Chris says to me, "You didn't hit that first one solid, did you?" I replied, "Nope". He just kind of looked at both balls and said "What are you chasing?" I should get that printed on my headcover or something for any time I get the itch to tinker.

Dang it, then are you saying the M3 440 is on the radar for you?

Quite the opposite. I'm saying, for me, there is no reason to chase a couple yards with the M3 440 if hit perfect. The M4 is so forgiving that I'm probably not giving up much, if anything, on good strikes and gaining a lot of accuracy on less than good strikes.

Heading out there, I was 99% certain I'd end up in the M4. I can certainly use the forgiveness and did much better with the M2 vs. M1.

I can see it going either way for guys like Kenton. He hit the M3 very well. It's just going to be a comfort thing. If it's even close, why not take the added forgiveness?

If I was ordering blind, it would have been the M4 for sure. I still wonder if it may be a better choice. But I did learn I have bigger issues to deal with and it was more important to be able to adjust.

stop wondering. you're in the right head. you'll buy a m4 down the road - love it - then go back to the m3 440.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great discussion on here guys and thanks for the WRXers who made the trip last week and have posted their thoughts. Really appreciate it.

In case you were wondering, here's Rory's set up this week at Abu Dhabi Championship:

He's gone with the 8.5 M3 with the loft setting slightly lower and weights in the forward position. On his M3 3/15 fairway, he's gone lower on the loft and then has a mixed bag of irons including P790, P750 and P730s, along with some MG wedges and new aluminum red insert on his Mullen 2 TP putter.

Rory McIlroy WITB (Abu Dhabi Championship 2018)

• M3 driver 8.5°
  • M3 fairway 3 /15°
  • P790 UDI 2 iron
  • P750 3-4 irons
  • P730 RORS Proto 5-9 irons
  • MG 47° & 54°wedges
  • MG Hi-Toe 60° wedge
  • Mullen 2 TP putter
  • TP5X #22 ball

What shaft is he playing in the UDI P790?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I definitely see your point from the forgiveness standpoint. My only concern with the M4 is that I've hit the 2017 M2 and it just looked HUUUUGE and I was a little uncomfortable- not bad results just a different feeling/ look. I'm sure I could get use to it and hitting more fairways and cure any uneasiness.

I guess thats why TM has the M3- middle of the road option.

I never liked the 2017 M2 shape either, the 2018 line has a better shape for sure. To my eye, it looks more pear shaped and shorter front the back. It's not an M3 mind you, but much improved over the 2017 M2. Brian Bazzel went into the details of the design. It is obviously more technical than this, but the step in the carbon on the crown allows for the aerodynamic benefits they were looking for without having to sacrifice the overall shape. Refining the geocoustic tech had an influence as well.

I went by the Golf Galaxy near my office yesterday to get a couple comparison photos for you guys, but when I got there they were closed. Like, shut down the store. I guess I wasn't the only one who hadn't been by there in a while.

The 2017 M2 took a step back IMO. The 2016 M2 looked, sounded, and felt better to me. The 2017 M1 440 was better than 2016's 430 so maybe that's where the focus was. M3/4 lineup looks to have made significant improvements for all of their drivers.

I definitely see your point from the forgiveness standpoint. My only concern with the M4 is that I've hit the 2017 M2 and it just looked HUUUUGE and I was a little uncomfortable- not bad results just a different feeling/ look. I'm sure I could get use to it and hitting more fairways and cure any uneasiness.

I never liked the 2017 M2 shape either, the 2018 line has a better shape for sure. To my eye, it looks more pear shaped and shorter front the back. It's not an M3 mind you, but much improved over the 2017 M2. Brian Bazzel went into the details of the design. It is obviously more technical than this, but the step in the carbon on the crown allows for the aerodynamic benefits they were looking for without having to sacrifice the overall shape. Refining the geocoustic tech had an influence as well.

I went by the Golf Galaxy near my office yesterday to get a couple comparison photos for you guys, but when I got there they were closed. Like, shut down the store. I guess I wasn't the only one who hadn't been by there in a while.

The 2017 M2 took a step back IMO. The 2016 M2 looked, sounded, and felt better to me. The 2017 M1 440 was better than 2016's 430 so maybe that's where the focus was. M3/4 lineup looks to have made significant improvements for all of their drivers.

Agree with part of the statement on M2 17 , hit the K serial number and like those better

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Dumb Question- Can you pay to go get fit there by the same guys?

yes, I remember Jory told me that you can schedule a fitting @ the Kingdom for around $500, right now you'd probably have to book it a few month prior due to the product launch and west coast swing coming up, from now to April is their peak season.

Does anyone know how to go about scheduling a fitting there? I have a trip to Torrey this summer and would love to schedule a fitting if they have availability. All these pictures are giving me the equipment itch!

Some great discussion on here guys and thanks for the WRXers who made the trip last week and have posted their thoughts. Really appreciate it.

In case you were wondering, here's Rory's set up this week at Abu Dhabi Championship:

He's gone with the 8.5 M3 with the loft setting slightly lower and weights in the forward position. On his M3 3/15 fairway, he's gone lower on the loft and then has a mixed bag of irons including P790, P750 and P730s, along with some MG wedges and new aluminum red insert on his Mullen 2 TP putter.

• M3 driver 8.5°
  • M3 fairway 3 /15°
  • P790 UDI 2 iron
  • P750 3-4 irons
  • MG 47° & 54°wedges
  • MG Hi-Toe 60° wedge
  • Mullen 2 TP putter
  • TP5X #22 ball

Thanks for the update. How about you tell us about TWs bag next?:)

• M3 driver 8.5°
  • M3 fairway 3 /15°
  • P790 UDI 2 iron
  • P750 3-4 irons
  • MG 47° & 54°wedges
  • MG Hi-Toe 60° wedge
  • Mullen 2 TP putter
  • TP5X #22 ball

Thanks for the update. How about you tell us about TWs bag next? :)

you would be very suprised... they showed a few of us his irons for the 2018 Masters...

Tiger's irons are going to be taylormade forged with Miura paint fill. #MNightShamalanTwist

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

• M3 driver 8.5°
  • M3 fairway 3 /15°
  • P790 UDI 2 iron
  • P750 3-4 irons
  • MG 47° & 54°wedges
  • MG Hi-Toe 60° wedge
  • Mullen 2 TP putter
  • TP5X #22 ball

What shaft is he playing in the UDI P790?

He had the hzrdus black hybrid in his og udi, my guess is that stayed the same

Dumb Question- Can you pay to go get fit there by the same guys?

yes, I remember Jory told me that you can schedule a fitting @ the Kingdom for around $500, right now you'd probably have to book it a few month prior due to the product launch and west coast swing coming up, from now to April is their peak season.

Does anyone know how to go about scheduling a fitting there? I have a trip to Torrey this summer and would love to schedule a fitting if they have availability. All these pictures are giving me the equipment itch!

I read online that if you have a Taylormade teaching pro they can get you booked there. I don't know if that is true or not, but it's worth a shot?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Would you guys say the M3 would lower spin more vs the M4? And how are they compared forgives wise?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

I agree on the 2016 over the 2017 - everything about the 2016, feel, sound, performance worked better for me over the 17, in 2 clubs that looked very similar. Hoping to see better results from the M4

Would you guys say the M3 would lower spin more vs the M4? And how are they compared forgives wise?

Moi 5000 (m3) vs 5200 (m4) if I recall correctly.

You need to get fit. To get the dispersion where I needed it, the weights in the m3 had to be all the way at the back of the sliding track prior to the Y. Weights in the Y didn’t help, weights more forward were really bad for me. bad.

With the weights where I needed them to be, m3 now launched too high and spun too much compared to m4.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Moi 5000 (m3) vs 5200 (m4) if I recall correctly.

You need to get fit. To get the dispersion where I needed it, the weights in the m3 had to be all the way at the back of the sliding track prior to the Y. Weights in the Y didn’t help, weights more forward were really bad for me. bad.

With the weights where I needed them to be, m3 now launched too high and spun too much compared to m4.

This explains somewhat the lower lofts and weight positioning of Rory and Justin with their M3's

I really wanted m3 but went with what my fitter stated I should do. That stated, I can’t wait to get out again. Hopefully it’s not months.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

My fitter (Patrick) suggested I try some additional M4 stuff. As a result, he put me in M4 15* three wood and M4 19* three hybrid. I dont have any numbers as my he had left with my driver build spec but the hybrids will be in the bag.

They simply looked fantastic, launched high, went far and straight. If I can do that with the 19*, I’ll have no problem with the 4 hybrid. I’m still gaming very old Callaway RazX 21/24* hybrids as I simply had not been able to replace them. They are now in serious trouble.

I still play a very old PING k15 16* 3 wood and I have a Callaway 17* XR 4 wood. The PING stays in the bag due to forgiveness. That stated, I’m not certain I’ll go with a M4 15* or 16.5* fairway but I am seriously considering it. M4 forgiveness is up there. Again, easy launch, high, long and straight.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

My fitter (Patrick) suggested I try some additional M4 stuff. As a result, he put me in M4 15* three wood and M4 19* three hybrid. I dont have any numbers as my he had left with my driver build spec but the hybrids will be in the bag.

They simply looked fantastic, launched high, went far and straight. If I can do that with the 19*, I’ll have no problem with the 4 hybrid. I’m still gaming very old Callaway RazX 21/24* hybrids as I simply had not been able to replace them. They are now in serious trouble.

I still play a very old PING k15 16* 3 wood and I have a Callaway 17* XR 4 wood. The PING stays in the bag due to forgiveness. That stated, I’m not certain I’ll go with a M4 15* or 16.5* fairway but I am seriously considering it. M4 forgiveness is up there. Again, easy launch, high, long and straight.

M4 fairway in stock for you?

M4 fairway in stock for you?

Yes, stock still

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

For those who were fit in comparison to their g400 lst how are the two drivers on low on the face strikes? And does the look/feel compare? Last year the m1 was the longest driver that I have ever had but low toe hooks caused me to sell it for the g400 lst. For some reason I have had an issue with thin strikes with the Ping and my driving has been super embarrassing to the point of hitting 2 iron off every tee. Also plan on addressing the huge error causing this to happen as well.

For those who were fit in comparison to their g400 lst how are the two drivers on low on the face strikes? And does the look/feel compare? Last year the m1 was the longest driver that I have ever had but low toe hooks caused me to sell it for the g400 lst. For some reason I have had an issue with thin strikes with the Ping and my driving has been super embarrassing to the point of hitting 2 iron off every tee. Also plan on addressing the huge error causing this to happen as well.

I was having a tough time staying down on the ball at times. My miss is usually high toe. Some of the best drives I hit all day were low toe.

My fitter mentioned this was something he’s been seeing a lot with the M3.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

I was having a tough time staying down on the ball at times. My miss is usually high toe. Some of the best drives I hit all day were low toe.

Good to hear. I wish I could find the shaft list to start seeing what they will offer without an upcharge. Once the preorders start I will return the g400 for the m3 Also wanted to say thank you to those who went for the detailed write ups.

That must have been the one you hit only 330yds...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

It's funny for me to read all the comments from you guys on In-n-Out, but then I realized they're only in 5 states - nothing east of Texas. Living in Palm Springs and now St George I've never not had one fairly nearby. Do you east coast guys know about the menu items that are not posted anywhere in the restaurant? Not really a secret, but most noobs don't know about it.

http://www.in-n-out....ret-menu.aspx

And they have hot yellow peppers too if you ask!

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Agree with part of the statement on M2 17 , hit the K serial number and like those better

I couldn't tell a bit of difference in the K vs non K. I owned both last year and went back to the M1 because I couldn't get over the sound and, to a much lesser extent, shape/look. The M4 is much improved over the M2 on both fronts.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

It's funny for me to read all the comments from you guys on In-n-Out, but then I realized they're only in 5 states - nothing east of Texas. Living in Palm Springs and now St George I've never not had one fairly nearby. Do you east coast guys know about the menu items that are not posted anywhere in the restaurant? Not really a secret, but most noobs don't know about it.

There were only 4 of us that hit In-N-Out that second night. We were all pretty exhausted but felt it was something that needed to happen. I don't know that Chris would even remember going if there wasn't photo evidence. I got animal style fries, and I think some of the guys went animal style on their burgers.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I realize this will probably start a firestorm of replies, but here it is.

In-n-out was disappointing. I ordered the Double Double animal style. I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top 10 fast food-ish burgers I've ever had. Maybe it was just this particular location on this particular night. Rob, Chris and Tim can chime in here since we all made the late night trip. As a first timer, I give it a 5.3. That's a review.

In-n-out was disappointing. I ordered the Double Double animal style. I wouldn't rank it anywhere near the top 10 fast food-ish burgers I've ever had. Maybe it was just this particular location on this particular night. Rob, Chris and Tim can chime in here since we all made the late night trip. As a first timer, I give it a 5.3. That's a review.

Then you forgot to order a shake. Best ever ! :nyam:

Then you forgot to order a shake. Best ever ! :nyam:

I actually did order a chocolate shake...

Fair to say that most either really love In-n-Out or wonder what all the fuss is about. I don't pass up a chance to go there since we don't have them locally, but I can understand why some feel it fails to live up to the hype. Part of the appeal is also the mentions it gets in The Big Lebowski, a favorite of mine.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Low toe is definitely my miss. Can we define toe? Are you talking 1/4 inch from center or where the paint on the toe meets the face. I'm hoping for the latter.