Favorite Tour Picture

Christosterone

In my short time on this site, this is by far and away the best thread I’ve seen on here. I went through the whole thing with a smile on my face. True joy

Welcome RR?

It is a great thread??

Enjoy your time on the board and have a great season?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

Thanks RP, you da man, golfwrx is awesome

While this photo per se isn’t a tour photo, obviously the individual is an Icon of not just the tour but the very game itself. While I could post a novella about the story of my acquiring this for Richard, I will leave those to Richard and just say that spending the time with just Mr. Palmer and I is a memory that I will carry with me and cherish for the rest of my life. This occurred a week before his passing. While I had met Mr. Palmer some 20+ years before through my teacher and mentor Pete and Sam, and then gotten closer to him through Richard and his father, who was one of his surgeons(and forever trying to help him improve his putting when he would come in for an office visit, hahaha), but it was this day when we sat as he and Richard were in the same hospital and Richard was in getting a CT and MRI done with Mr. Palmer waiting to go in for radiographs.

He joked that in the 25 years that he had known Richard that he had never once asked him for his autograph and now he didn’t have the guts to ask him himself, lololol. I assured him that Richard knew nothing of this but would cherish it. I prefer to keep our conversation private but I have spoken to family members and they are fine with me repeating one subject that we discussed and this is because I could see the hurt in his eyes and what I am speaking to when I asked him his biggest regret pertaining to his career or the game.

He spoke nothing of his US open loss to Billy Casper or any missed shot or lost victory. He said that he won more than any man had a right to and he was just thankful for the opportunity to play the game that he cherished for a living. He said that not many people get to do that. He did say that his biggest regret was the Calloway ERC II situation in 2000. I looked into his eyes as he recounted the story and I believe that he was speaking from the heart. He said that he had just signed a 12 year ball contract and that was all that the contract covered and that he did not make a penny off of a single ERC II sold, so those saying that he “sold out” for the $$ hurt badly. He said that he was only thinking of the average casual golfer and not the competitive Player, or someone who keeps a handicap. He was thinking of making the game more fun for them. However, he said that what hurt the most were not cries of “sell out” as he knew that he didn’t do it for the money or made a cent from his position or the friendships lost, and yes, he said that the debacle ended “a few” friendships, because he said that those men obviously didn’t really know him and were never friends to begin with, but the letters that he got from adoring fans, who said that they had raised their children with Mr. Palmer as their moral compass and as the standard for how a boy and then a man should carry himself. He remembered a letter from a man in Canton, OH, who had named his son Arnold whom Mr. Palmer has actually met as a child at Oakmont during the 1973 Open. The fact that the ERC II was legal in Europe and on the European tour didn’t soften the backlash in America. It was as though this had occured the day before and the far away look in his eyes as he looked past me thinking and remembering broke my heart. I couldn’t help it and I leaned forward and hugged him. Well, that’s the story behind the putter in this picture. Oh yes, Mr. Palmer actually used this for a round at Richard’s club in the late 90’s(this was a self-bought BDay gift by Richard for his 16th/1976) when his putterhead fell off pre-round on the practice green. If this putter could talk, the stories that it could tell, hahaha. It could match Richard’s, lolol. Sorry for the novella, lolol Take care guys :) M

Doesn't look terrible.

Some comments from select posters (and Seinfeld fans):

“I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world.”

“His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit.”

“He is a loathsome, offensive brute. Yet I can’t look away.”

“He transcends time and space.”

“He sickens me.”

four Major winners standing around watching this quirky little man absolutely stripe practice balls....

NA-CC076_SP_GOL_G_20140725163421.jpg[

A quirky little man with a baseball grip! He's always fascinated me.

One of my personal favorites is a picture I have with him. Watched him hit balls for an hour.

I'm sure it is. In the 90's I worked/played green grass out of club that had a Nautral Golf certified instructor. His winter visits to Florida to work with Todd Graves and be around Moe always yielded some very interesting insights. And his recollections of Moe's very impressive range sessions were always enjoyable to hear.

edit: I watched the Natural Golf era of instruction come and go, it was something I never participated in, but a chance to meet and see Moe was something I wish I had gotten a chance to do myself but never did.

No novella here Sweetheart?

If there are dupes, apologies

Besides, if they were posted earlier, they’re HoF pics and deserve an encore?

Always,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24