Favorite Tour Picture

Christosterone

17_tee.JPG

That position looks better than his usual Driver swings. I kid but interesting all the same how his instincts took over and how that looks so much like a golf swing when he was just flailing at the air in frustration.

I'm delighted to be able to post one of these classic poses once again: Tiger Woods at Bellerive - 18th hole - August 12, 2018. How far he's come back! If only there were a few more majors this year.

Great to see, but a very clumsy fist pump tbh. If he was few more under par and that putt was to win, I'm sure we would've seen a proper one where he flexes his biceps above his head.

announcing he is back

As a loser ?

I guess if going from a guy who had trouble getting out of bed, riding in golf carts, addicted to pain killers, 4 back surgeries and not knowing if he'd play again to finishing runner up at a major with a final round 64 (his lowest final round in a major) makes him a loser, sure.

I've never been a big Tiger fan, but have enjoyed watching him golf. I think his recovery from back fusion is remarkable and his transformation as a person (which could just be public perception since I obviously don't know him on any level other than what's presented in the media) is commendable.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Calvin Peete - Probably the most accurate driver ever.

peete_2_gallery_full.jpg

The best drivers on tour today are more accurate than Peete ever was.

Huh? He averaged 82% fairways hit in his prime.

Stenson is the leader this year hitting almost exclusively a 3 wood and is averaging 75.5%

But on the other hand Stenson hits his 3-wood fifty yards past Peetes drive. If we were to count accuracy in degrees off line on average and not fairways hit I think a few modern players are just as accurate as Peete.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

peete_2_gallery_full.jpg

Stenson is the leader this year hitting almost exclusively a 3 wood and is averaging 75.5%

But on the other hand Stenson hits his 3-wood fifty yards past Peetes drive. If we were to count accuracy in degrees off line on average and not fairways hit I think a few modern players are just as accurate as Peete.

I think that comparing Peete to Stenson accuracy and distance wise is kind of impossible. I started to play in the days when wood clubs were wooden. Sexy sound but, well...

To say that anyone is "best ever" in this or that kind of shot is also kind of difficult. Lets say that CP was best in his time. Remember him a little from the end of his career, when I started to play and watch golf. Not one of the regular rough visitors.

I always liked this photo of Freddie. Kind of sums him up, doesn't seem to give a care about anything. I know he rubbed some people the wrong way, but I would love to be able to swing like that. Just pure, natural power.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

I always liked this photo of Freddie. Kind of sums him up, doesn't seem to give a care about anything. I know he rubbed some people the wrong way, but I would love to be able to swing like that. Just pure, natural power.

Interesting choice of photo shoot location. For reasons I don't recall, I always assumed he was a country club kid. Not so. He was the son of a city groundskeeper in Seattle. The story posted here a few years back of his weak attempt to hit on a GolfWRXer and her husband's (also a GolfWRXer) reaction is one of the better stories on this website.

GettyImages-82937640small.jpg

Thread over!

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

mark-omeara-630x473.jpg

Well then, I'll take an O'Meara picture after those last two posts.

Two time Major winner and WGHF member. And surely an individual who had a small part in the early years of Eldrick's learning about life as a playing professional.

As Classy as they come!!

None Nicer??

The Swede??

Yea right?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

These two pictures tell ya all that you need to know about these two men-

One taken upon his arriving at his posting stateside with his bag and and sticks-

The other, taken on his first posting-

The beaches of Normandy, where he was among the thousands wounded and received a Purple Heart through he refused to leave the battlefield and would go on to earn another Purple Heart during the Battle of the Bulge, where he received his second Purple Heart of which he was embarrassed to receive and did not wear either of them, and also a Silver Star & 2 Bronze Stars while serving in General Patton's Third Army at the Battle of the Bulge.

Also, Lloyd Mangrum, while training for the D-Day landing, had the opportunityy to take the Head Pro's position at Fort Meade, which would have kept him out of combat and in the states, however he declined.

Lloyd Mangrum was very Special~

And he left us far too young, having survived ELEVEN heart attacks before succumbing to the TWELFTH.

Did I mention that he was a bad arse??

ben hogan???

Hahaha, yea right, lmao

Look at those pictures again!!

Here is the thread on Lloyd....

http://www.golfwrx.c...been-forgotten/

Stay well Gals & Gents?

RP

Awesome post as always. Mangrum was a tremendous player that was well respected by the big boys. the war affected his totals and i am shocked he only bagged one major. Sam Snead held him in high esteem. A victim of his competition and era. Could have had 20 more wins 4-5 more majors

Hey Bro, I hope all’s well and you’re having a nice season?

Yep, Lloyd was one of Sam’s very closest friends on Tour and Sam was Lloyd’s CLOSEST friend, bar none, on Tour.

Lloyd happened along during a period when one, a world war, and two, possibly the single greatest collection of 4-5 Legends Played, and though he more than held his own, as he is in the World Golf HoF, he definitely had the ability, talent and game to, as you stated, possses 4-5 more Majors.

I Love the guy and he’s one of my Top-3 for a few reasons, lol.

First, Lloyd Mangrum was the Real Deal.

Second, he feared nothing or anyone.

Third, he was movie star good looking?

While Ben Hogan, Sam Snead and many other Pros used their classification as a "Golf Pro" to claim a cushy Pro's position at a base stateside to play with and instruct a bunch of staff generals, Lloyd Mangrum refused, THREE times, the offer to stay stateside. He enlisted. He enlisted to kill Nazis. He was going to Europe to fight in the War.

Mr. Mangrum landed and crawled face buried in the sand up Omaha beach as(You Young Guys might wanna read up on that whole battle-Had that it gone the way that it "should have," as the oddsmakers, if they laid odds down would have capped it, it's safe to say that this world and this very country would be a very different place today. I'll leave it at that ;) ) part of the D-Day Invasion force. His two closest friends to his left and right were cut to ribbons by machine gun fire and the water/waves washed the one to his left on top of him and he could feel and hear the bullets ripping through his dead Friend and he laid motionless, swallowing and spitting out sea water till the fire subsided.

As a part of the 9th Division of Patton's Third Army, as forward reconnaissance, Mangrum would fight on and then participate in the almost as bloody Battle of the Bulge, where racing along in a jeep after spotting a Nazi movement, the jeep flipped after a bomb shell, obviously with Mr. Mangrum's name on it landed about 25-30' into the woods to their left. His arm broken in two places and his shoulder basically shattered, the doc told him that if he could raise his arm when the cast was removed he "would be ok." They wanted to send him to the rear and Mangrum went ballistic, screaming that he had one arm and he could still fire a weapon. Amazingly(or more likely desperation), they left him with his platoon.

Mr. Mangrum later stated, "Not even the thrill of winning the US Open matched the day that cast came off and I found that I could lift my arm. Could you imagine a Pro with a swing like a hockey player?"

Shortly there after, in one of the many brutal fire fights that took place as the Battle of he Bulge wore down, as the Americans were encountering Nazis fighting to the death, a platoon member was cut down by sniper fire. As the soldier lay out in the open bleeding and screaming in agony, Mr. Mangrum, seemingly without thinking and definitely without hesitating, zig/zagged to him, threw him in a fire men's carry and ran back to his line.

He was hit in the knee by a sniper bullet and he fell forward where US troops grabbed both men and drug them to safety. His platoon member survived. According to one observer, he could only surmise that the brief respite in sniper fire was because the sniper was as stunned as the Americans by Mr. Mangrum's actions. Again, he refused to leave the front and was back with his platoon, limping, within 10 days. When Lloyd Mangrum stepped off of the ship in NY Harbour after the war, there was one other Soldier from his original platoon that made it home alive. The 19yo young Man that he had pulled from the sniper fire. I just have a feeling that Lloyd Mangrum did not want to return home as the sole survivor of his platoon and it was worth dyin for to make sure that that didn't happen.

For his service, Mr. Mangrum was awarded 2 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars, 4 Battle Stars and 2 Purple Hearts which he said in one of his rare moments of levity, that he received them for tripping and falling, spraining an ankle, running out the back doors at two Parisian whore houses as MP's came through the front, lol.

When asked about the pressure of facing a 3' putt to beat Hogan, Nelson or Snead, without cracking a smile and lowering his voice, Mr. Mangrum responded, "Facing a 3' putt to beat Hogan is not pressure. Closing 3' on an enemy soldier who has a pistol trained on you while you have nothing before he pulls that trigger is pressure. This? This is a game," and he turned and walked away. Ya think He and a lot of Guys faced things that never made the papers?

Upon his return, in his first year back on Tour at Canterbury Country Club in Cleveland, OH. Aftter 72 holes, Mangrum was tied with Vic Ghezzi and Byron Nelson. The first 18 hole play-off in the morning, all three men shot 72s. As they teed it up that afternoon for the second 18 hole play-off, rain started to fall. Then thunder started to clap like bomb shells in adjoining fairways. The fans deserted the fairways. First one rules official went in, then the second.

It was a few die hard fans and the three men who played on. Then lightning started flashing. Back then they did not call play for thunder and lightning. You played it down and out till you were finished. Two reporters who continued to follow the Players said that while Ghezzi looked fearful, Nelson was mortified, constantly looking skyward.

Standing on the the 13th tee, trailing Nelson by 2 and Ghezzi by 3 strokes, the rain almost doubled in intensity according to the reporter and a thunder clap boomed above them, causing Nelson to jump and drop his driver and Ghezzi to duck, from what, who knows.

Mangrum did not flinch.

He looked skyward and smiled.

Was it at his Buds, who he felt were always "up there looking out for me down here."

Who knows.

But one thing is fact!

Lloyd Mangrum marched those 6 holes like he had marched so many times before in a far off land, and instead of killin Nazis, he laid waste to Ghezzi and Nelson, birdying 3 of the last 6 holes, cooly lighting one last cigarette, taking one last drag, and sinking one last putt, a 7'er, to take the US Open Trophy, and his place amongst the Greats of the Game. He had carded another even par 72, beating his FC's by a stroke each.

Said two-time Amateur Champ Bud Ward, "it was the most incredible display of courage that I have ever witnessed. He never once flinched. He never once ducked under a tree for shelter as the others did. He marched right down the middle of the fairway, after each deafening thunder clap, he would look skyward and smile. I can't explain what lets a man laugh in the face of such danger."

Paleeeze ;)

As Mr. Mangrum would say later about the round, "Sure, it wasn't the best day for a round of golf, but it beat the hell out of where I was a year before."

Indeed it did.

Mr. Mangrum would get the name from Sam of "Mr. Icicle," though I don't think that does him nearly the justice due him.

In my book, "Bad A**" works a lot better-

Mr Mangrum would notch 42 Professional victories, 35 of them on Tour. He was the Tour's leading money winner in 1951 and the Vardon Trophy winner in 1951 & '53. He played on 4 Ryder Cup teams(1947, '49, '51 & 1953), the last where he was also a Playing Captain. His RC record was 6-2-0 and 3-1 in singles. Lloyd Mangrum stands at #12 on the all time Tour Victory list and was elected into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1998.

Due to a bad heart, Lloyd Mangrum retired much earlier than he should have.

And he left us far too soon, passing at the young age of 59yo.

However, like he fought in war, like he played the game, is the same way he tackled his health problems.

He suffered 11 heart attacks and was still here.

It took ONE DOZEN heart attacks to stop Lloyd Mangrum(Apologies as in my initial post in the thread I said 8 of 9, lol. It was indeed 11 of 12?).

One last story-

Following the war, Magnum and Snead were having dinner at a restaurant when Magnum accidently tripped a Man who was walking by. He apologized and helped the man up, though the man kept yelling and put his finger in Magnum's chest. Magnum took one last drag from his cigarette, put it in the one ashtray, and picking up the one in front of Snead smashed it in the man's face, crushing his nose and splattering blood all over himself and Snead's food. The man dropped like a rock. Magnum dropped a ten on the table, looked to Snead and said, "C'mon, there's a joint down the street, I'm buyin," and out they went.

It was only after Magnum had passed that Sam said, "Some of us weren't sure Lloyd was quite right mentally because of what he went through in the war, and I grew up around some bad men, but there is no one on this earth I'd rather have by my side in a golf match or a fight for my life than Lloyd Mangrum."

And guys are gonna drool over some guy who played SEAL???

Oh yea, if ya notice that schmag in his lips as he swings??

While lil ben and all the boys dropped theirs when they stepped into the box, Lloyd did no such thing, lol

He clenched it through his swing?

Apologies for the novella in a picture thread??

We just can’t forget these Gents!!!

Stay well My Friend?

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Brooks Koepka

Bear's Lake CC in 2006.

101106%20spt%20Brooks%20Koepka%204.JPG

Man what 12 years of Protein and Creatine can do....

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Never understood the towel. Didn’t want to get his knees dirty. Seems odd

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

peete_2_gallery_full.jpg

6.5% is a huge difference at that level.

Have you ever hit a persimmon driver? Balata? Stenson's 3 wood has about the same loft, a bigger head a springier face, a lighter shaft than Stenson's 3 wood.

My main argument was to call out the guys who said modern player are more accurate than Peete ever was. That's what we call hogwash.

Stenson is a great player, I'm not trying to take anything away from him, but give credit where credit is due.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hale Irwin's vanilla swing.

hale.jpg

One of the most repeatable swings ever. Hale was a ball striking machine.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly