Driving distance ranges for junior golfers

CTgolf

2 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Its funny how just time/growth etc. changes a kid.  I remember my son finishing his 8th grade season back in September of last year (13 yrs old) and could barely hit it 220 on a good drive.  Well, fast forward to December/January and he hit a big growth spurt (height & weight) and he's now hitting the ball 260-270 on normal drives with a few longer on perfect drives.  Little 💩 has already caught me with his distances.

This is why golf is in a decline. Parents quit when their kids outdrive them. 

source: me

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, leezer99 said:

This is why golf is in a decline. Parents quit when their kids outdrive them. 

source: me

Luckily thats not me...I can still beat him because he hasn't learned course management at 14 yet, still wants to hit less club than he thinks he needs "because he's so strong" LOL.  Plus I chip & Putt way better then him.  But he's coming along well & I hope he beats me badly before its over with so it helps him get into college 😉

• Like 2

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

1 hour ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

That happened at what, 9 Leezer?

Lets set this straight... he has beaten me ONCE when he was 11 (now 13).  It was at the Kapalua Bay Course where I played the blues and he played the whites.  I've spanked him playing only 9 iron though because like @eddiebigeddie expressed, my son makes dumb decisions on the course.  My clubs are in semi retirement now though... just not enough time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

Lets set this straight... he has beaten me ONCE when he was 11 (now 13).  It was at the Kapalua Bay Course where I played the blues and he played the whites.  I've spanked him playing only 9 iron though because like @eddiebigeddie expressed, my son makes dumb decisions on the course.  My clubs are in semi retirement now though... just not enough time.

I am glad I can use pending shoulder surgery as an excuse to not play my son now. He never beat me but it was quickly on the horizon. 

• Like 3

^^^this is so true.  Like I said earlier about my son...last fall he ended the High School season (he's an 8th grader, just turned 14 in Feb.) as the #6 man on the team and shortest hitter distance wise 220 on a good day.  The team went to an actual fitter with trackman last month and he ended that day as the longest hitter by a good 10 yds (274 that day vs 262/263 for next kid).  Luckily for our team, we are Young and "should" be really good for the next few years.  We'll start this fall season with (2 Freshmen, 3 sophmores & 1 senior) and unfortunately for the Senior, he is going to battle for the 5 spot all year.  My son went from ladies flex driver and mid 80g stiff irons shafts to end the season....now he's in Reg Flex driver, stiff woods, 120g stiff irons shafts.

• Like 2

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

• 2 weeks later...

My little guy is 12 (13 in December) and hit a speed increase recently. Now at 91 with driver, 210 approx carry and total 230 ish…..we have a GC2. He has been working on club head speed, does some work in the gym and is being dragged along by his bigger faster older buddies. In his tournament age group he’s the longest except for one other kid who has some lbs on him. 

• Like 2

I thought my oldest son hit it long during his high school days.  Normal drives during the junior and senior years were around 280 yards with 300+ when he goes after it.  My second oldest son missed his freshman year on the golf team in 2020 due to COVID.  But he easily matches my oldest now, and he is still growing.  Can't wait to see what he can do this coming school year.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

3 hours ago, kekoa said:

Speaking of speed and distance, my son played a few practice rounds with a 10yr old kid who consistently hits it 240-260.  I've never seen anything like it.  We put him on the mevo+ and his average SS was 197.   He's very good, but luckily golf isn't his #1 passion 😉

SS 197?

• Haha 3

97MPH Swing speed for a 10YO?!  Wowza!!  Is he a big kid?  I'm trying to figure out how when my junior is going to make his next jump. Finally got him into a better shaft that appears to fit him (Aerotech Claymore MX48 F2 Flex), but his SS is in the 70-72 range on average with occasional bursts to 74-75 (and bad ones down in 68-69 range). 

We have Speed Sticks, but those seem to screw up his swing whenever we use them.  Don't know why, but he just gets all out of whack with them. In the meantime, we keep playing other sports (primarily baseball and tennis). He pitched a 5-inning, 1 run game the other day with 3 hits, 7 SO's and 1 walk.   Also doing "body weight" type exercises (push ups, leg lifts, etc...) and have 6lb medicine ball to do chest pass tosses, etc...

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

15 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

97MPH Swing speed for a 10YO?!  Wowza!!  Is he a big kid?  I'm trying to figure out how when my junior is going to make his next jump. Finally got him into a better shaft that appears to fit him (Aerotech Claymore MX48 F2 Flex), but his SS is in the 70-72 range on average with occasional bursts to 74-75 (and bad ones down in 68-69 range). 

We have Speed Sticks, but those seem to screw up his swing whenever we use them.  Don't know why, but he just gets all out of whack with them. In the meantime, we keep playing other sports (primarily baseball and tennis). He pitched a 5-inning, 1 run game the other day with 3 hits, 7 SO's and 1 walk.   Also doing "body weight" type exercises (push ups, leg lifts, etc...) and have 6lb medicine ball to do chest pass tosses, etc...

Medicine Ball has been great for my kids.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MB19 said:

Medicine Ball has been great for my kids.

Medicine Ball and Swing Fan are what my boys use.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

33 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

Yeah, speed stick messes with my kid’s swing too. Wasted a few hundred bucks on The Stack.

• Like 1

My 13 year old daughter is constantly chasing distance with her driver. In the events she has played in, her driving distance has always been in the top of her groupings, and so I never worry about it but she takes it very seriously.

She's a 7th grader and somehow worked her way into daily weight lifting with an 8th grade boys basketball team after school. I didn't even know until one day we were golfing in the evening and she was complaining that her distances were all 10 yards short. I noticed her sequencing looked slow or lazy. I asked if she felt tired or something. She said "Not tired, just sore, I did front squats and Romanian deadlifts today."  I was like "What? Where?" and she told me she had been working out for 2 weeks with the team. The weightlifting coach is very good, so once I found out he was in charge of the training I was happy to hear she was engaged with them. I talked to him and he told me the program was heavy functional lifting, with optimum recovery periods for muscle groups mindful of jumping and accel/decel. All good stuff for a youth golfer/athlete. When she is practicing on her net at home she uses a headless club between hits to practice moving really fast.

Anyway the differences in distance over just a couple months is 10 yards plus. She was on the trackman last night at my friends house and could get in the 240-250 range when 230 was the max the last time we were there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wildcatden said:

My opinion and many others is that Speed Stick are a waste of time for juniors.  If you are going to do them, better off just swinging the lightest stick.  Have been told, the only reason they are in a lot of the PGA players bags is because the companies pay the caddies to slip them into the Tour Players bags.  Very few tour players are actually using them.

Best way to gain speed...  Chest strength, leg strength (box jumps, squats, dead lifts).  For a kid not ready to hit the gym, would just stick to push ups, med ball chest pushes, and a plyo box.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

20 hours ago, Kcct82 said:

Yeah, speed stick messes with my kid’s swing too. Wasted a few hundred bucks on The Stack.

can't knock the stack that system is smart. I've seen my kids speed not only go up but better golf as well. That system is a lot different than super speed as its actually guided and their max is the same effort level as you would swing your driver. I never had any good results with super speed outside of a game to play on breaking records. That said after having the stack for about a month I had her pick up her old super speed sticks and speed was up on average of 10-13 mph on the super speed. I say the stack works.

Now I don't think that is the only thing kids should be doing. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, darter79 said:

can't knock the stack that system is smart. I've seen my kids speed not only go up but better golf as well. That system is a lot different than super speed as its actually guided and their max is the same effort level as you would swing your driver. I never had any good results with super speed outside of a game to play on breaking records. That said after having the stack for about a month I had her pick up her old super speed sticks and speed was up on average of 10-13 mph on the super speed. I say the stack works.

Good to know you guys are having success with The Stack. My kid is probably too young for it right now. He would start to chase numbers and use his arms and flip in his swing. He doesn’t have the self control to keep the swing the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darter79 said:

I heard about this outstanding 10 yr old girl in Texas making massive strides with the Stack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

52 minutes ago, Kcct82 said:

Good to know you guys are having success with The Stack. My kid is probably too young for it right now. He would start to chase numbers and use his arms and flip in his swing. He doesn’t have the self control to keep the swing the same.

Self control is king, you have to gain speed the correct way. Over speed yes, but still making a swing that's not flying all over the place. Stack builds in all kinds of elements. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 11:32 AM, wildcatden said:

Not a big kid.  He is tall for his age though.  Voice sounds funny so I'm not sure he's hit puberty already or if thats even possible.  At 10 yr old us kid yardages he can pretty much drive every par 4 and a lot of times its not even with driver.  

1 hour ago, kekoa said:

Not a big kid.  He is tall for his age though.  Voice sounds funny so I'm not sure he's hit puberty already or if thats even possible.  At 10 yr old us kid yardages he can pretty much drive every par 4 and a lot of times its not even with driver.  

Puberty earlier than normal is possible. A quick Google says can occur as early as 8(!). However, it is cautioned that early puberty can be sign a other health problems. 

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

• 1 year later...