2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Capalano, Capilano.  I said them both out loud 10 times and couldn't tell a difference.  (Now, if you turn the final syllable into "lino" there definitely is a different sound

Hear ya.  Some of the ones in Washington must get all sorts of pronunciations.  

I tried to give the coming visitor  some tips for his trip, that he did not acknowledge. 

I probably should not have pointed out the spelling the second time, though I wasn’t trying to be rude.

To paraphrase  Forrest Gump, “ and that’s all I have to say about that”.   Case closed.

Edited by myspinonit

Had a nice day out at Sandpiper on Saturday.  My son plays free there with a paying adult, which I massively appreciate.

Course was awesome.  Really nice mix of greens, browns, yellows.  Fairways and greens were green but all the areas between fairways were dried out...made for a nice look and played nicely.

1 temp tee box on #9. 

IMG_20220814_115032_708.jpg

IMG_20220814_115032_733.jpg

IMG_20220814_115032_764.jpg

• Like 4

I played Seymour this afternoon. Lucky to get an invite from a member usually once a year. Course was in great shape, especially the greens. Rolling very pure. 

I never really play well there. Lack of play there leaves some of the lines off the tee very uncomfortable to my eye and the elevation changes there mess with my head. 

• Like 3

We spent a few days last week on the Sunshine Coast for our anniversary. Played both the Blue Ocean in Sechelt and Sunshine Coast in Roberts Creek. Both rounds were enjoyable. Courses were in ok shape and Sunshine Coast greens were really slick and pins were tucked on Sunday for the Men's Club Final that day. If I had putted better both rounds my cap probably would have dropped even further than the cliff it has been on in the last month (mostly from playing more forward tees and finally finding my iron game). Not complaining on the cap drop.

While killing time in Gibsons we found this " Forget Perfect"  piece that is now on our console in our entry where I grab my clubs, tees etc. Hopefully a positive thought to carry  to the course. (We will find out today and tomorrow, lol). My wife says it's a pretty good motto for marriage too.

image.png.2b7853832bd16e44595193c594e89bec.png

Edited by myspinonit

11 hours ago, Phireside said:

I played Seymour this afternoon. Lucky to get an invite from a member usually once a year. Course was in great shape, especially the greens. Rolling very pure. 

I never really play well there. Lack of play there leaves some of the lines off the tee very uncomfortable to my eye and the elevation changes there mess with my head. 

Haven't played there for a few years. But waaaay back in the late 80's I think, I had the opportunity to play there on a weekday Men's night after work several times. Very cool. The member got to bring along up to three guests who also participated in  a Par Points comp total after nine holes. Then there was a a baron of beef dinner with a bottle of wine on the table. During dinner each member got up and introduced his guests, who were warmly applauded. What a heck of a way to recruit potential new members!! Classy.  As I said this was the 80's, but the cost was amazing. I'm sure it was under $20!

• Like 1

Anyone had  recent experience at Westwood Plateau?  Never played it (just the views dining) but recall some negative posts some time ago about it being very rundown.

Got a chance to play it with my Men's group mid September at a good $ rate.  It would be all day deal from where I live (with potential fall weather changes).  Not worth it if it potentially will just be a goat track +/or a muddy one.

Edited by myspinonit

38 minutes ago, myspinonit said:

Anyone had  recent experience at Westwood Plateau?  Never played it (just the views dining) but recall some negative posts some time ago about it being very rundown.

Got a chance to play it with my Men's group mid September at a good $ rate.  It would be all day deal from where I live (with potential fall weather changes).  Not worth it if it potentially will just be a goat track +/or a muddy one.

Nothing recent but I played it a few years ago and it was something like $94 with a cart and the course was muddy, like really muddy. I have never returned.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

14 hours ago, Phireside said:

I really like Seymour.  

Now they have finished repairing and improving the balcony it is one of the best places to have dinner.

20220705_151523_resized_1.jpg

20220705_151531_resized_1.jpg

20220705_185422_resized_1.jpg

20220705_193410_resized_1.jpg

Edited by Golfnuck
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:42 PM, Shushwap said:

I love this... We all need to post up more course pics... It helps me get through the long winters

I used to post a lot of pictures from the various clubs I play at.

Got called out for posting pictures from private clubs when only a few members here can access them so I stopped.

On 8/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, myspinonit said:

Am calm. Was just trying to be helpful should you mispronounce while here and someone corrected the oversight (like a member at Capilano. Some are sensitive to that I understand, though the more common mispronunciation is "Capilino".)  But you didn't acknowledge the other two  posts in which I tried to provide some tips to your very non -specific "what to expect" first post besides commenting on the spelling observation.  I probably should not have mentioned the spelling error again but I was not trying to be rude. However I think your response bordered on that.

I do hope you enjoy your visit.

Thank you. I look forward to it.

3 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

Got called out for posting pictures from private clubs when only a few members here can access them so I stopped.

I always appreciated your pics. You should start posting again, we’ll take care of anyone who complains 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

7 hours ago, Golfnuck said:

Im with the Beav on this one...

Pictures on the way LOL

I love to see pics of courses and places I have never been to...

Edited by Shushwap
  • Like 2

I took my wife to Predator to play the Ridge Course. She loved everything about the course. We were paired with a similarly aged and skilled couple that live at Predator. We had a blast with them which enhanced the day significantly. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

17 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Amazing day at predator today.. I think I am finally starting to  climatise to the 35 degree weather 

I made it through the afternoon pretty well 

It looks like such a nice course but there's no shade... I'm pretty sure I would melt

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Okanagan club today.. 

They have destroyed the finishing hole over the water on quail to put in condos on the 18th fairway.. 

We now finish the round with a par 3 

I guess we're supposed to be happy they haven't dozed all the courses to put in condos

We will lose 3 courses in the kelowna area over the next 5 to 10 years due to development 

20220819_135841.jpg

20220819_141646.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

Okanagan club today.. 

They have destroyed the finishing hole over the water on quail to put in condos on the 18th fairway.. 

I guess we're supposed to be happy they haven't dozed all the courses to put in condos

We will lose 3 courses in the kelowna area over the next 5 to 10 years due to development 

It’s a solid hole as far as design goes, but NO 18th hole should be a Par 3. Just ask Atlanta Athletic Club or Congressional CC. 

• Like 1

Okanagan club today.. 

20220819_135841.jpg

20220819_141646.jpg

Wow, what courses?

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

2 hours ago, mukster said:

Wow, what courses?

Kelowna springs is currently looking to rezone there land to commercial as they have a prospective buyer 

Shadow ridge was purchased by the airport a few years ago.. I have heard they just renewed the lease for another 5 years 

Michaelbrook is on the city's radar as they are in talks to purchase the course to turn it into soccer fields and what not 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IcemanYVR said:

It’s a solid hole as far as design goes, but NO 18th hole should be a Par 3. Just ask Atlanta Athletic Club or Congressional CC. 

The rise did the same thing took there 18 and shortened it  up to a par 3 and they are currently slamming a club house in what used to be the fairway 

15 hours ago, Shushwap said:

The rise did the same thing took there 18 and shortened it  up to a par 3 and they are currently slamming a club house in what used to be the fairway 

I hate what they did to The Rise.  

They ruined #11 and #18 and tried to appease us by making #2 a par 5.  Not working IMO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Beav said:

I hate what they did to The Rise.  

They ruined #11 and #18 and tried to appease us by making #2 a par 5.  Not working IMO.

Im with you its ridiculous what they did there... 11 is just a long par 3... They needed to spend some money and push that green back and widen that fairway up a little....

Then they call #2 a par 5 come on !!!!!!!!!!

I think they could have done a lot more with that course if they had invested in it

The only upside is that club house should be pretty nice in the summer... I may have to journey up for drink and dinner and catch the sunset with the lake views

Long term plans are for a driving range and hotel up there...

Im with you its ridiculous what they did there... 11 is just a long par 3... They needed to spend some money and push that green back and widen that fairway up a little....

Then they call #2 a par 5 come on !!!!!!!!!!

I think they could have done a lot more with that course if they had invested in it

The only upside is that club house should be pretty nice in the summer... I may have to journey up for drink and dinner and catch the sunset with the lake views

Long term plans are for a driving range and hotel up there...

It's still a good play and fun round, but they definitely went backwards with their latest changes.

I'd nominate holes 15-17 as one of the most fun 3 hole stretches in BC.

2 hours ago, becoh said:

Headed from the island up to Kamloops/Kelowna the labour day week. Was thinking of doing a GolfKamloops package, anyone have experience with them? Or other recommendations for similar setups?

Besides golftown and modern golf, any must visit shops in Vancouver to stop into? 

Member Salmon Arm probably will chip in but I'd start looking at trying to booking courses without delay (change if needed) from what he has said about getting tee-times even early in the season.

I think Modern Golf is really just fittings (with an appointment)...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Peak Golf in Kitsilano is my local shop and they sometimes have other clubs and clothing than GolfTown.

• Like 1